Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic steam linux (Read 135 times)
Combat Wombat
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

steam linux
Nov 9th, 2012 at 1:15am
Print Post  
Got it installed runs like a dream so far. Installing Killing Floor since everyone else is so focused on the source games I figured I would branch out. The amount of games that already have some level of linux support is surprising anyone worried about to small of a game library on launch can worry no longer.

IP Logged

Huginn
Korthos Resident

Oachkatzlschwoaf

Re: steam linux
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Combat Wombat wrote on Nov 9th, 2012 at 1:15am:
Got it installed runs like a dream so far. Installing Killing Floor since everyone else is so focused on the source games I figured I would branch out. The amount of games that already have some level of linux support is surprising anyone worried about to small of a game library on launch can worry no longer.

As long as 99% percent of all Desktop Linux installation still have to run X, and 100% of the 3D drivers have to support X as well you won't see that many AAA games coming for Linux anyhow. You have no idea how much that overbloated thirty year old crap called X is slowing everything down. And no, Wayland ain't better.

It's surely a nice money grab for Valve and a boost for OpenGL but don't expect anything big any time soon.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Huginn wrote on Nov 11th, 2012 at 3:07pm:
As long as 99% percent of all Desktop Linux installation still have to run X, and 100% of the 3D drivers have to support X as well you won't see that many AAA games coming for Linux anyhow. You have no idea how much that overbloated thirty year old crap called X is slowing everything down. And no, Wayland ain't better.

X-Window (XDMCP, X-lib, Openlook, CDE, KDE and all the various things in between  )  not THAT bloated.  Cheesy

The main problem is the way it's built considering that 30 years ago computers with :
- multiple graphic cards,
- multiple screens on a given graphic card,
- multiple displays on a given screen

Were... how to say it... not a viable option.
Even today, there's not that many people that have multiple graphic cards with each card connected to several screens... ( I won't go into the Display fuckery )

Oh and all that has to be Network carried over the loopback interface through a fucking protocol called XDMCP ( X Display Management Control Protocol ) that's just there to jam your network traffic.

I have no love for Microsoft and Windows... but at least they made a semi-decent GUI while X has always been on the retarded branch of the GUI tree.

Oh and to go back on the subject : I'm alergic to Steam.
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2012 at 11:51am by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Combat Wombat
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Huginn wrote on Nov 11th, 2012 at 3:07pm:

It's surely a nice money grab for Valve and a boost for OpenGL but don't expect anything big any time soon.

Not saying that X isn't bloated however all of the results Valve has put out show linux overall allows game to perform better than Windows and as far as I am aware they are using shitty superbloat gnome3 with Unity so I think that really says something about how terribad Windows has gotten.

IP Logged

Huginn
Korthos Resident

Oachkatzlschwoaf

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 2:37am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Nov 12th, 2012 at 11:50am:
X-Window (XDMCP, X-lib, Openlook, CDE, KDE and all the various things in between  )  not THAT bloated.  Cheesy

The main problem is the way it's built considering that 30 years ago computers with :
- multiple graphic cards,
- multiple screens on a given graphic card,
- multiple displays on a given screen

Were... how to say it... not a viable option.
Even today, there's not that many people that have multiple graphic cards with each card connected to several screens... ( I won't go into the Display fuckery )

Oh and all that has to be Network carried over the loopback interface through a fucking protocol called XDMCP ( X Display Management Control Protocol ) that's just there to jam your network traffic.

I have no love for Microsoft and Windows... but at least they made a semi-decent GUI while X has always been on the retarded branch of the GUI tree.

Due to KMS it thankfully no longer is as horrible as it once was. And true X was designed around use cases no one gives any fuck any more anyhow. I think I might have used the network feature of X like... once, in seven years of Linux Software Engineering.

I remember when everyone laughed at M$ for putting their graphical stuff in kernel space. And even back then they were right. It outperforms that pile of junk called X easily by a factor of two.

Quote:
Not saying that X isn't bloated however all of the results Valve has put out show linux overall allows game to perform better than Windows and as far as I am aware they are using shitty superbloat gnome3 with Unity so I think that really says something about how terribad Windows has gotten.

Many games still perform better under Windows. The reason is simple: M$ spends a heap lot of money to "help" the developers optimize their games on Windows (and therefore also for XBOX). There are a few notable exceptions here though, and I do sincerely hope that improves with the future.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint