Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Otto's Box (Read 44022 times)
Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Re: Otto's Box
Reply #100 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Dec 20th, 2012 at 3:04pm:
You apparently seem obsessed with it. 

Who wouldn't be obsessed with a man in a spandex onesie.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #101 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Dec 20th, 2012 at 3:22pm:
Who wouldn't be obsessed with a man in a spandex onesie.

That's for my second hobby.  I'm an amateur wrestler I go by the ring name of Gunga's Sandy Vagina.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2012 at 3:27pm by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #102 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Dec 20th, 2012 at 3:27pm:
That's for my second hobby.  I'm an amateur wrestler I go by the ring name of Gunga's Sandy Vagina.

You must be popular.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #103 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Dec 20th, 2012 at 2:54pm:
If you are still having fun more power to you. 

This is the key.  I am.  I miss some friends, but there are still enough around and I still have enough fun just playing the game to enjoy what's going on. 

I'll play this game while they keep developing it and/or they milk enough cash out of it to launch their successor D&D MMO.  I don't doubt that this game will cease sooner or later.  I am also pretty confident that the D&D brand and IP are strong enough that there will be another offering available when that happens.  As long as everyone is making money (WB/Turbine and WoTC) they won't stop. 

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #104 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
I bought one stone. It's for my main who happened to pull Celestias in consecutive runs. I absolutely LOVE these swords and to make the most of them, I'm going to have to TR and change my main's race to a half-elf so it can take the Rogue dillettante feat and enhancements.

Now, my main has TRed twice before so that I could make him a 36 point toon. I've leveled many toons to 20 and several to 25. I also hate the TR grind and I also don't have the time to play DDO for five hours a night, 7 nights a week. In fact I can only play 3 to 4 times a week.

So, due to a confluence of several events and circumstances, I believed it made sense for me to get one of these stones.

This will be the last TR I will EVER do so I want to get it over with ASAP.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #105 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
I never really intended this to turn into an AA meeting.  I'm Bill W and I bought an XP stone...

Since, DDO is an emotional topic.  Abstract it.

If a friend was telling you about a new MMO they wanted you to join with them and they said, "and don't worry about me being a higher level already you can just buy the XP to catch up to me?"   What would your gut reaction be?

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #106 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Dec 20th, 2012 at 2:06pm:
Yep. I know all about it. I've done it ad nauseum, still do. It's 40 hours to TR without an xp weekend. You can shave a few off here and there, but anyone who has a job/school + family and friends will not be able to casually put 40 hours in every week, week in and week out, especially with 3 or 4 other players' schedules to contend with, and "not push it."

I call bullshit all over your dumb face.

I would just like to say that on orien it was common in some circles of players to have 60-70 hour TR's a couple years ago. I know I used about 10-12 of the 10% ebberron pots per TR back when the server started, in 2011 I could them in 6 pots.

bravery, streak, 1st time completion, ships buffs, 30% pots, xp tomes, challenges(nerfed since release though) and last but not least, a metric shitton of new quests spread among many levels.

Holy crap I never sat down and thought about just how much xp they added to the game. I imagine I could prolly hit 20 hour TR2+ nowdays if i tried. Not a big deal since you can buy xp and even levels now in ddo.

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #107 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Dec 20th, 2012 at 2:54pm:
That's totally true...and pre-MOTU there was a lot more for the Hardcore player than post.  Little things had more impact the 10 hp from a Barb past life or the +1 from a Fighter past life had more impact.   Gear from the Vale raids actually was useful as a stepping stone to epic pieces.  Now you can grind out comms in Forgotten Realms in a few hours and piece together good enough gear.  Turbine consciously targeted the game at casual players with the expansion and essentially alienated all the hardcore players.  70% of the people I ran with have pretty much left the game.  Hell, look at the forums...people complaining and hour long quest is too long.  I've ground 5 hours on one boss in progression raids in other games and spent a month of three nights a week just to finally clear a raid . This game had great balance between the two.  It no longer does and that's without taking into account the store. 

I was super excited for the level cap bump and destines.  Only to be let down that 20-25 was worthless and destines nothing but a giant XP slog.  Couple that with the drop in quality of the game..bugs, lag, etc...  The top end is just gone.   Now, the most difficult achievements in the game are sold for points.

If you are still having fun more power to you.  I'm not trying to convince you to leave.  I'll not change my opinion that any game that sells XP is in the fast lane to game hell though.

This is so true, and bares repeating. Before the expansion even though Turbine was targeting the casual gamers since f2p it wasn't until after the expansion that they tried to make casual players hardcore players. They should have created forgotten realms in the lower levels as well as the higher levels, instead they focused on making everyone level 20. Unfortunately the stones were one of the tools they used to encourage everyone to get to level 20. They probably didn't originally intend to sell them in the DDO store, but once they were programmed in and once they became so popular it was inevitable that we would see them there.

However, I feel like Turbine didn't really have anything to lose once they saw all the posts declaring that endgame was dead and that the game was bleeding endgame players. Rather than trying to rework their game to encourage more growth and participation of veteran players they decided to go the easy route instead. Casual gamers are still here, and they have always been the majority so why not say fuck the powergamer and add +4 tomes and stones to the store? Make it easier for the people who want easy.

All of this is speculation though. However, what I'm still not clear about is why Turbine would go out of their way to remove the grind from the game. The casual player will keep playing even if there is grind in the game. They don't play that much, and they don't really mind either way; this is the true definition of a casual player. However, as every business knows it is easier to retain customers than to attract new ones. This new business model of selling XP in the ddostore, and this started with tomes of learning not the stones, defeats the purpose. Regardless of what you say the grind has always encouraged people to keep coming back and leveling their characters. It was the entire reason the TR grind was instituted to begin with. Not because of character advances, but because Turbine couldn't keep up with the demands of the endgame. They couldn't possibly develop endgame content quickly enough to satiate the endgame players, so why not reuse the content they already have?

Unfortunately I don't just see this as pay to win, but working against their own interests as well. I don't think that Turbine made as much money as they spent on the expansion. They made the mistake of making Forgotten Realms accessible only at the highest levels, rather than giving someone the option to play in forgotten realms without being involved with the game before. They fucking blew their chance to have a rabid fan base frothing at the mouth introduced into the game because they made some arbitrary decision to make it endgame only. So after the expansion we saw all kinds of these neat little pay2win things in the store. Tomes of learning, state tomes, etc are a symptom of the problem of bad direction going on in this game. There were literally years years after f2p was opened that this wasn't happening. Unfortunately regardless of what you say nobody is going to join the game because "wow man I can just pay for the levels instead of playing all the way through the game. The after all this hard work, I'll be able to play in Forgotten Realms". This will actually only alienate players who had been playing the game for years. People like Eladiun for example. However, while riding upon this sinking ship turbine is going to do their best to be bailing out the treasure stored in the stockage (tp store) as quickly as possible. These sort of bad decisions and missed opportunities are definitely spelling out the future for DDO.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2012 at 7:03pm by Soul »  

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #108 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Dec 20th, 2012 at 6:55pm:
Holy crap I never sat down and thought about just how much xp they added to the game. I imagine I could prolly hit 20 hour TR2+ nowdays if i tried. Not a big deal since you can buy xp and even levels now in ddo.

Helpers best was 27.5 done this spring by Owy on legend TR over a 30% weekend.  Maybe that could be cut down now with the new Top End stuff but I can't recall if he used the Challenge trick to jump the lower levels.

Soul wrote on Dec 20th, 2012 at 6:58pm:
This is so true

/nods

Quote:

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #109 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Soul wrote on Dec 20th, 2012 at 6:58pm:
They should have created forgotten realms in the lower levels as well as the higher levels, instead they focused on making everyone level 20.

Indeed. The ole lady and I were talking about this very thing the other night.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #110 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Dec 20th, 2012 at 7:08pm:
Maybe that could be cut down now with the new Top End stuff but I can't recall if he used the Challenge trick to jump the lower levels.

With the whole xp stone in store thing you can now buy from level 8 to 16. It wont stop there, next step is 1-8 and 16-25. How cute its divided up into approximately equal parts to sell.

coming soon in acheivement section:
5 MINUTE TR!!!!1!!1!

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #111 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Dec 20th, 2012 at 6:19pm:
If a friend was telling you about a new MMO they wanted you to join with them and they said, "and don't worry about me being a higher level already you can just buy the XP to catch up to me?"   What would your gut reaction be?

If they had never leveled a toon to 20 before, or didn't have any gear appropriate for 16-17th level, or had never TRed before, or hadn't played the damn game for 7 years and done all the quests MANY times, my gut reaction would probably be NEGATIVE. However, if my friend had leveled a bunch of toons to 20th or 25th level, TRed a toon or two a few times or more, had level-appropriate gear, or played the game for a few years and had run all the quests many times, I probably wouldn't bat an eyelash.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2012 at 7:39pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #112 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Dec 20th, 2012 at 6:55pm:
I would just like to say that on orien it was common in some circles of players to have 60-70 hour TR's a couple years ago. I know I used about 10-12 of the 10% ebberron pots per TR back when the server started, in 2011 I could them in 6 pots.

bravery, streak, 1st time completion, ships buffs, 30% pots, xp tomes, challenges(nerfed since release though) and last but not least, a metric shitton of new quests spread among many levels.

Mmm, yeah. No shit, Sherlock.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #113 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
I agree that Turbine missed the boat with FR only starting at level 19/20.  They should have maximized the IP and let new people start there and grow there. 

The idea of new players fast forwarding the game rather than enjoying the game makes me cringe.  I remember how much I enjoyed the goodblades quests and the low road on my first day.  STK Elite on my 3rd weekend and I realized I couldn't half ass trap skills.  So much fun.   In fact, I still love some of those quests.  I'd hate to see a new player vet status to 7 and then earn 70k XP and stone to 16.  Having maybe run a single Deleras or something.

I really would like to see a restriction to 1xTR or 2xTR's on the stones just for that reason.  And (I hate to say it because there is plenty of low level content for my liking) some low level FR content to attract new players who love the FR campaign but have not played because they don't like Ebberon.

IP Logged

Elegorne
DQ Assaulter

Reply #114 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Dec 20th, 2012 at 8:03pm:
The idea of new players fast forwarding the game rather than enjoying the game makes me cringe.  I remember how much I enjoyed the goodblades quests and the low road on my first day.  STK Elite on my 3rd weekend and I realized I couldn't half ass trap skills.  So much fun.   In fact, I still love some of those quests. 

Amen. Been playing 2 1/2 years here, the 1st year of which I had innumerable retardly, ridiculously gimped toons floundering about, but I met a dude who helped me get a toon that I used the "path" for up to lvl 15 (a Fighter, no less!) to cap, and so,so,so much more advice in general. Then I rolled a "real" PM wiz and capped him in no time (big fun!). Then TR'd the Ftr into a 16/2/2 Brd/Ftr/Rog and capped him again (most fun toon to level to date- but my Clr is gaining in this category). Then Favor-farmed to unlock FvS, rolled one, got it to 8 and stoned it- I presently hate this toon (for most of the reasons given in above posts). Then rolled a 32pt Clr (who is now 16 holding 17) and having the BEST time!
   Fact is, I am P2P, have spent only maybe $100 on the game in almost 3 years, and, for all intents and purposes, I SUCK. But I have FUN. Every time I log with the intent to actually play, I have FUN. I have run maybe a handful of oldschool epics(for tokens) and that's about it. I don't have MotU or any of that....have never run it. But I am happy when I log and unleash my gimpnessl. I can't hardly even spell "endgame", much less run it. But this is what brings me enjoyment in my 3-4 leisure hours/week, and 1-20 still suits me just fine, in fact, it tickles me no end to play the "online version" of the game I so loved many, many years ago. To each his own, and maybe one day, I'll get a toon to 21 by accident.

TL;DR- Release new lowbie FR content, and I'd be tripping over myself to give you my money- you can count on it. But the stones issue, meh. I can suck no matter how I get to my present level- I enjoy finding new ways to die.  Cool

Elegorne,Wizegorne,Healegorne and some other gimp toons on Thelanis

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #115 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Dec 20th, 2012 at 8:03pm:
The idea of new players fast forwarding the game rather than enjoying the game makes me cringe.  I remember how much I enjoyed the goodblades quests and the low road on my first day.  STK Elite on my 3rd weekend and I realized I couldn't half ass trap skills.  So much fun.   In fact, I still love some of those quests.  I'd hate to see a new player vet status to 7 and then earn 70k XP and stone to 16.  Having maybe run a single Deleras or something.

I will admit, that is my primary concern as well. Or rather, that it's a sign turbines fixing to encourage that zerg-to-21 mentality worse than they already have. I can only hope there are enough of us that haven't bought the things that it's clear that there's not a real major call for em to be a standard feature.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2012 at 10:50pm by »  

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #116 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I will admit, that is my primary concern as well. Or rather, that it's a sign turbines fixing to encourage that zerg-to-21 mentality worse than they already have. I can only hope there are enough of us that haven't bought the things that it's clear that there's not a real major call for em to be a standard feature.

Hahahaha, Oh you. Even if enough weren't bought who gives a crap? It's already developed. Throw that sucker on the ddostore. That's the awesomeness about buying pixels, once it's developed you have no more overhead. (Aside from the obvious overhead that was already there) So it's not like you have to pay for production every time it's there. I give it 6 months tops before it's a permanent feature, because Turbine doesn't know how to run an MMO.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #117 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 12:12am
Print Post  
I very much dislike this.  When you can pay to avoid playing, then Turbine has a built in incentive to make us not want to play.  They can add artificial annoyances that we can then pay to avoid and they have far less incentive to actually fix bugs and bad content when they can just put something in the store that lets us bypass the bad content.

I am not a fan.  I don't like this.  I don't like Farmville.  I don't like Mafia Wars.  I don't like anything like this.  If I am going to play a game, then I want to play the game. 

I don't mind paying to play the game.  I certainly don't want to pay for the privilege of not playing the game.  That undermines the entire purpose of the game.

fnord

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #118 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 12:38am
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Dec 20th, 2012 at 7:10pm:
Indeed. The ole lady and I were talking about this very thing the other night.

DDO's downward spiral (since I started 3 years ago at least) started in U11 when they moved their focus (new packs) to end-game again.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #119 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 1:05am
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Dec 21st, 2012 at 12:12am:
They can add artificial annoyances that we can then pay to avoid

This is how I feel they have been developing and designing for the last two years.

Quote:

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #120 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 1:19am
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Dec 21st, 2012 at 12:38am:
DDO's downward spiral (since I started 3 years ago at least) started in U11 when they moved their focus (new packs) to end-game again. 

A big problem with End Game is there is not consistency or cohesion with the gear they create.  The Epic Fang and the Helm had Dragonmark enhancements we were told we would see more of that but it never happened.  The reliance on set bonuses and the creation of all this one size fits all gear.  It's just a fucking mess.  Then throw 4 crafting system on top and see what you can fuck up.  The whole crafting system was a fucking waste of time and energy.  I can make twink gear and it makes bank toons obsolete but since MOTU it's useless beyond that.  There's no fucking planning beyond the next pack.

Quote:

IP Logged

Fuck Off
The Big Fuck

My favorite word is Fuck.
Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Reply #121 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 2:25am
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Dec 20th, 2012 at 1:53pm:
You're full of shit.

I ran with a guy that could TR in a few days.  Typically 3 days then he was on timer.  Crazy mad XP.  No pots either.  He also ran with people that knew how to get the quest done.  I hated it when I had to work the next day because dude would be done with his character TR life and it would be next week before I'd get mine done.  It was also mind numbing grind and you didn't stop for much.

If I was still playing DDO, I'd buy as many stones as I could.  I can't grind like that.  If I'm on a train, I'll ride it till it pulls into the station but I can't engineer one like that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.  - Albert Einstein

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #122 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 2:44am
Print Post  
I can't compete with zonixx's dedication to buy XP stones for plat, so I picked up a couple boxes with TP. I still need to finish the PLs for my arcane (the spell pen PLs being one of the few PLs that are actually still important), and cutting a TR life time down by 50-75% for $30 is just plain rational.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #123 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 5:09am
Print Post  
I don't have nearly as much time to play as I used to. So, I fucking love the stones. Half the time I get to play a few hours one day every two weeks or so. I need more free time.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Vtec
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #124 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 6:27am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Dec 20th, 2012 at 2:10pm:
Apparently, you never played with any hardcore gamers.

...hahahaha

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Send TopicPrint