Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Steam in Your Living Room (Read 282 times)
Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Steam in Your Living Room
Jan 8th, 2013 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a449268/valve-unveils-steam-box-with-xi3-c...

Consoles become computers...is console gaming dying or is PC gaming dying?

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Re: Steam in Your Living Room
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
They are crazy if they think it is going to sell well at the prices I saw.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jan 8th, 2013 at 12:41pm:
They are crazy if they think it is going to sell well at the prices I saw.

That is the big question.  What is a legit price for a Home Theater PC?  Which is all this is.  I can make one easy.  Consoles are sold at a loss with the return being on the games.  How much can Valve afford to compete with consoles and what other revenue streams do they have planned for this?

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Base model  of their current offering is $500.00.  However, that's a base desktop and not a gaming rig.

http://xi3.com/buy_now.php

The demo model looks like it's a grand but it's a pretty hot computer.  It's not a bad investment if it replaces a PC and a console.
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2013 at 12:55pm by Eladiun »  

Quote:

IP Logged

Selee
Abbot Raider

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
If the linux-based rumors are true, they will HAVE to expand their lineup quick, fast, and in a hurry.  From what I heard, they have only 50 or so games that can run on Linux.  If they can get some wide-ranging support for many of the games they will have a great customer base however.

I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. - Ronald Reagan
Nice is for cowards and democrats - Red

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
I read an article somewhere that WoW has a working linux client. They won't release it because a) WoW works under wine reasonably well, and b) there are to many linux based distros to support.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 8th, 2013 at 12:00pm:
http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a449268/valve-unveils-steam-box-with-xi3-c...

Consoles become computers...is console gaming dying or is PC gaming dying?

PC gaming is dying. One week ago I would have said "Bullshit". And I said that to a friend that works closely with a lot of Video Games companies. He wrote me (pedantically) the reasons and it was very very convincing. Of course, it won´t be a thing of tomorrow, maybe in 10 years or so.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2013 at 3:30am
Print Post  
Did I mention that I was allergic to Steam ?

PC gaming is dying except for a few niche games where a real keyboard is needed.
( like MMOs and also turn based strategic/tactical simulations ( even more a niche than MMOS ) )

Otherwise console is the way to go, a lot more easy to use, and less 'piracy'.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2013 at 7:40am
Print Post  
I can see the hypothetical appeal for some people, but that offers me nothing personally.
My widescreen LED is also my computer monitor.  My console controllers obviously reach my recliner, but so does the usb cord that has my mouse hookup and my keyboard is wireless.
My TV connection runs through my computer as well, so I can browse and watch pic in pic style if I want to do both at the same time.  Resizing windows is hard.

IP Logged

rev Jim
American Azog

I GOT VEINS

Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2013 at 11:31am
Print Post  
not calling the steam box the gabencube

Quote:
Rev. Jim.
He is the only guy here that posts quality, you should all learn from him.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #10 - Jan 9th, 2013 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Jan 9th, 2013 at 7:40am:
I can see the hypothetical appeal for some people, but that offers me nothing personally.
My widescreen LED is also my computer monitor.  My console controllers obviously reach my recliner, but so does the usb cord that has my mouse hookup and my keyboard is wireless.
My TV connection runs through my computer as well, so I can browse and watch pic in pic style if I want to do both at the same time.  Resizing windows is hard.

Not the same setup :

Dual 20" monitor on the PC for gaming, with a real ( and in not a netbook, but a 7 Year old ultrabook ) 11" laptop not far, and a SUN Sparc Ultra 45 in another room. All connected through a router ( yes I don't use a fucking Triple play box but a good old router where I have full and absolute control ).
The Wii is sitting by the 40" Flat Panel TV and was never connected to the LAN.
( ah yes it's all wired, My router can do Wifi, but except for the pro laptop and the mobile phone I'm not using it. )
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2013 at 2:01pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #11 - Jan 9th, 2013 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 9th, 2013 at 2:00pm:
Not the same setup :

Not the same setup?
The entire premise is that you'll be able to run steam games on your TV rather than at your computer desk.
As my PC is the central nervous system of my entertainment center, I already do this. How is it not the same setup?

Unless you were speaking of the fact that your setup is not the same, in which case you are obviously correct.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint