Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Another Expansion (Read 12075 times)
Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re: Another Expansion
Reply #25 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
First of all, definitely agree on the expansion thing - I can wait. There is plenty of great content to enjoy right now and it's taken them months to get MotU to even reasonable levels of functionality.

I'm going to go out on a limb on the Epic TR: I think it will be an entirely separate track for the 20-28 game with its own bonuses. You can TR for the 1-19 game for the old bonuses or get to 28 and eTR back to 20 to redo the 20-28 game. At least that's what the description sounded like to me.

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #26 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
I loved the line on the bug reporting tool - he's just screaming they're not going to fix their own testing (lack of) and QA process.  We will have nothing but the most egregious FUBAR's repaired from here on out, if those.  So much for quality of life.

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #27 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
all i saw was bloody TRing. just when we are finallly seeeing completionists on a large scale andpeople getting back to seady dedication to end game. Hello mindless caster grind to be efficient.

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #28 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
The TR is the cheapest shittiest mechanic in the history of gaming and they plan to extend the content by adding in another layer.  Brilliant!

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #29 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Feb 26th, 2013 at 1:58pm:
Possibly...  from what I could tell though from PAX was that Glin and Big F work closely together.

Very discouraging to learn this.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Feb 26th, 2013 at 12:18pm:
Biggest mistake they made.  It changed the game for the worse.  Bad zerging and crappy play didn't take hold till after this came out.  When dying had a penalty, people played like a team or they left the game never to return.

FIFY

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #31 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Feb 26th, 2013 at 4:44pm:
FIFY

Not true...  two years of no development forced people to leave and never return.    It takes a certain kind of crazy to keep capping characters then deleting and rerolling them to try new builds.
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2013 at 4:54pm by Eladiun »  

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Feb 26th, 2013 at 4:53pm:
Not true...  two years of no development forced people to leave and never return. 

I think this was before that... the death penalty got removed before they stopped developing for it.

There were many reasons for people leaving, but I think the very punishing nature of the game when it was released made many people leave.   Until I found a guild and people to group with, I languished in trying to solo or duo content... and if you died while just trying to look at a new quest you never entered, and lost a lot of XP... well, that was a big downer.

yeah, it's an MMO and you are supposed to group, but many people don't like grouping or can't find a good group of people to join with early on.

Of course, it has gone way too far the other way now.   What used to be Normal in quests is now the equivalent of what Elite is.  Elite was just brutal back then.  Especially without a properly balanced party.

The game was too much:  "Play the exact way I, the maker of the game, want you to play it and don't try any other way or you'll be punished".

heck, if I started a rogue, bard, wizard, or sorcerer, you had a good chance of not being able to finish the first quest in Baudry's basement that you let get out of his tavern.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Feb 26th, 2013 at 2:31pm:
I loved the line on the bug reporting tool - he's just screaming they're not going to fix their own testing (lack of) and QA process.  We will have nothing but the most egregious FUBAR's repaired from here on out, if those.  So much for quality of life.

yes, i liked this, too...   "hey everyone, here's a feature you all wanted... an easy to tell us how broke the product is that you paid money to us for"

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #34 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Feb 26th, 2013 at 5:05pm:
yes, i liked this, too...   "hey everyone, here's a feature you all wanted... an easy to tell us how broke the product is that you paid money to us for"

Hell - as far as the bug reporting tool is concerned; I can write something to redirect to /dev/null as easily as Turbine can.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #35 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Not true...  two years of no development forced people to leave and never return.    It takes a certain kind of crazy to keep capping characters then deleting and rerolling them to try new builds.

My psychiatrist said I'm "Amazingly well adjusted".

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #36 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Feb 26th, 2013 at 5:04pm:
I think this was before that... the death penalty got removed before they stopped developing for it.

There were many reasons for people leaving, but I think the very punishing nature of the game when it was released made many people leave.   Until I found a guild and people to group with, I languished in trying to solo or duo content... and if you died while just trying to look at a new quest you never entered, and lost a lot of XP... well, that was a big downer.

yeah, it's an MMO and you are supposed to group, but many people don't like grouping or can't find a good group of people to join with early on.

Of course, it has gone way too far the other way now.   What used to be Normal in quests is now the equivalent of what Elite is.  Elite was just brutal back then.  Especially without a properly balanced party.

The game was too much:  "Play the exact way I, the maker of the game, want you to play it and don't try any other way or you'll be punished".

heck, if I started a rogue, bard, wizard, or sorcerer, you had a good chance of not being able to finish the first quest in Baudry's basement that you let get out of his tavern.

I believe it was implemented in MOD 6 which was The Vale.  Mod 6 released in January 2008.  It was the last update before the long cold winter.

The game was D&D.  It was a party based game.  Now, everyone complains that everyone would rather run solo than group.  Nevermind, that the worst XP loss I ever saw was on a +2 loot weekend trying to ransack Elite WizKing...I think i racked up 2 bars.   Alas, challenge is bad so now you have easy mode everything.

Quote:

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #37 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Feb 26th, 2013 at 5:33pm:
My psychiatrist said I'm "Amazingly well adjusted".

I did that for about the first year because I couldn't get a decent soloable character built to survive in epics for tokens.

God, that was miserable.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #38 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Feb 26th, 2013 at 11:16am:
I wonder how they will handle those levels this time.  They made it way to easy to level to 25. 

Well, yes and no. I mean, clearly their market is the casual market now, right? And I've capped one toon, have another very near cap, and another at 23, or holding 24, I really can't remember. I keep on getting distracted by shinies, or levelling something else, or helping others out, and just can't face running the high XP quests endlessly. And I probably play 15 - 20 hours a week on and off, but very much at a relaxed level with fun rather than optimal XP gain being my goal.

I suspect powergamers are the exception rather than the norm in their planning here. Smiley

Also, yeah, I read the spiel on the level 15 toon generation as being you can just start in Forgotten Realms. Shame really, I think there's some very nice packs in Eberron.

IP Logged

Saaluta
Vault Mistress

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Feb 26th, 2013 at 7:17pm
Print Post  

I'm not crazy...My mom had me tested Cheesy

Saal Smiley

Hello Darkness, my old friend!  It's nice to talk with you again!
Kimberlite wrote on Oct 11th, 2013 at 12:30pm:
They don't just settle for shooting themselves in the foot. Turbine uses a repeating crossbow.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #40 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 12:35am
Print Post  
eGH is a raid done right and the loot system and options in u15, u16, an u17 is worlds better than all the random-ness of u14 and the unending grind of old epics.  The end game is finally feeling less constricted now that you have u14, 15, 16, 17, plus 14 challenges and handful of old epics that still make sense to run.  I also like the revamp/return of the augment system.  Just wish they had put some augment slots on Fens, U14, U15, and U16 gear where appropriate.

My bigges concern about a new expansion is that Turbine will go overboard with the loot.  I hope that a new expansion doesn't feel the need to AGAIN completely invalidate the current loot mechanisms and shrink the end game.  If it adds to the end game, then it makes sense.  But if it completely overshadows everything that came before to the point that there is no point in running anything else (beyond first time favor/XP) then it's going to be another disaster.

IP Logged

NotMyDDOName
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 6:34am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Feb 26th, 2013 at 11:23am:
Also, focusing on getting level 15 characters into FR seems like the same mistake of MoTU.  Are they going to neglect end game for this?

I actually think this issue is a good thing.

Level 15 is where the game is short on quests and XP (the missing chain and LOTD).  More level 15 quests would really help in the 1-20 game.  If they are letting people create level 15 toons there I assume there will be level 15 quests.

Also, I think it was a mistake to make Eveningstar locked unless you run the chain to get there.  It stopped people from checking it out and generating interest in buying the pack.  It should be wide open for people to get to at look around.  When coupled with the above, I am hoping they open ES up to all (for touring) with new level 15 quests.  They don't need to be F2P.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #42 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 11:15am
Print Post  
NotMyDDOName wrote on Feb 27th, 2013 at 6:34am:
Also, I think it was a mistake to make Eveningstar locked unless you run the chain to get there.  It stopped people from checking it out and generating interest in buying the pack.  It should be wide open for people to get to at look around. 

That wasn't a great idea and their work around to stone everyone wasn't to bright either.  Most other games would add in some sort of simple quest that people of any level can do to open a new area.  they should have done some server wide collection thing to open the portal then it could have inspired some server vs server competition.

Quote:

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #43 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
The whole idea of FR was problematic. 

Bringing FR to an MMO was bound to attract new player attention, but the content was all high level.  Releasing FR in MoTU with low level content would have completely alienated the current player base.  Epic level content was what we were begging for.  Also, they couldn't release epic levels and ED's without epic content to run.  So MoTU had to be high level/end game. 

But new players would start out at level 1 and interested in the game to play in FR, but have to invest 20-30 hours in Eberron just to get to FR.  That's not a good sell. 

The stone was their idea to speed up the process.  To get to level 8 is maybe 8-10 hours of game play, even for a newish player. 

The correct solution would have been to release MoTU with enough low level quests in FR for a non-TR to reach level 17 by leveling through FR without going to Eberron.  Assuming you can just bastardize some of the quests and move them to the new setting with minor changes (like they did with the Goodblades and low road and protecting the ward and such when turning them into the Korthos series) Then you could get to the required 50ish quests/5 adventure areas you need without having to make 50 brand new quests.  Then toons could level in FR or in Eberron.  But, they didn't have (or make) time for that.      

IP Logged

neotheny
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
In its current iteration, each class has at least two prestige class paths.

only thing i'm really looking forward to is the enhancements pass and that may not be finished. not suprising, but come on.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #45 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 1:37am
Print Post  
What they need to do is implement Sigil as the gateway.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #46 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 2:52am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Feb 27th, 2013 at 1:13pm:
The correct solution would have been to release MoTU with enough low level quests in FR for a non-TR to reach level 17 by leveling through FR without going to Eberron.  Assuming you can just bastardize some of the quests and move them to the new setting with minor changes (like they did with the Goodblades and low road and protecting the ward and such when turning them into the Korthos series) Then you could get to the required 50ish quests/5 adventure areas you need without having to make 50 brand new quests.  Then toons could level in FR or in Eberron.  But, they didn't have (or make) time for that.      

That would have killed the Eberron side.

Honestly, there's more people that likes Faerun than people that Likes Eberron.

Eberron was WOTC move to try to get rid of history of TSR among other things.
There's also some IP tied to Salvatore, Greenwood and all the other authors... 20 years ago IP in RPG gaming was something murky and by today's standard most of them are joint, so nobody can do anything without the other party consent.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #47 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 10:31am
Print Post  
I'm into it. I'll buy it. DDO is still my drug of choice.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #48 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Prediction: EPIC TR grants fatepoints/twist slots?  Or, I suppose it could add a "twist" slot for an auto-grant ability from a some tree. I just doubt they will spend the energy to create new passive/active stuff. Maybe tho.

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #49 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Memnir wrote on Feb 26th, 2013 at 10:49am:
DDO's second expansion this summer. Plus lvl 28 as a new cap. More.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=409828

Not buying it  - I bought MOTU and then they changed all the rules. I will wait until they give it that 75% discount - if ever.

This is like McDonald's announcing they are selling Steak.  It is still fucking McDonald's selling you meat that they call a steak!

D&D Online is dead. This is some MLMMORPBRG  (Massively laggy multiplayer mostly online role-playing bug-ridden game).

I know, beating a dead horse, but it tenderizes their meat - er steak.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint