Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) This explains a lot (Read 21539 times)
karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Re: This explains a lot
Reply #50 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Mar 12th, 2013 at 3:35pm:
Yeah, this. I'm not a coder but I worked as a PM / business analyst / UAT manager for a long time in a Financial services environment. I just can't grasp why they can't mirror live. To me it's a basic. I understand nasty spaghetti code exists, but... I don't get how this kind of version control isn't mandatory. I know it's not people's money, but still. There's so many products out there...

I am having a very similar discussion at this very moment at work (cmd-tab is my friend)... problem is you nailed it... UAT is getting to be non-existent any more.  SIT to make sure nothing pukes, then go-live.  I'm on a call right now sounding so "get off my lawn" arguing for UAT testing.

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #51 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Mar 12th, 2013 at 4:50pm:
You're delusional. I worked for Time Warner for 12 years. I was with Warner, then Time/Warner and then AOL/TimeWarner. The stock split like 50 times and I was 100% in Warner stock. I bought a house from it. Do you know why the stock was worth so much? You don't get to Fortune 500 by buying everyone double of everything, you retard. You get to Fortune 500 by maximizing profits which has nothing to do with making sure everything works.

And you get on the cover of the Wall St Journal when your tech shits the bed and data is compromised.

Has nothing to do with Turbine - just reflected rant from the other conversation I'm having.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #52 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Mar 12th, 2013 at 4:50pm:
You're delusional. I worked for Time Warner for 12 years. I was with Warner, then Time/Warner and then AOL/TimeWarner. The stock split like 50 times and I was 100% in Warner stock. I bought a house from it. Do you know why the stock was worth so much? You don't get to Fortune 500 by buying everyone double of everything, you retard. You get to Fortune 500 by maximizing profits.

Are you really going to say that your experience has any relation to what goes on over at WB Interactive or Turbine (a separate company until 2 years ago)?  That would be like saying someone at NBC has a clue how they run things over at GE Lighting or Aircraft Engines.  Or better yet, Penske.  A GE Subsidiary that is run under a different management umbrella.

Sure maximizing profits is how any business is successful, but you maximize profits by taking calculated risks, not foolish ones.  Not allocating some resources to testing and version control would be a foolish risk. 

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #53 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 12th, 2013 at 5:04pm:
Are you really going to say that your experience has any relation to what goes on over at WB Interactive or Turbine (a separate company until 2 years ago)?  That would be like saying someone at NBC has a clue how they run things over at GE Lighting or Aircraft Engines.  Or better yet, Penske.  A GE Subsidiary that is run under a different management umbrella.

You're taking a baby step towards the great level of my executive understanding in the matter. I'm not sure if I'd be better off just letting you talk your way into finally getting there or ridiculing you. Probably a little of both. Your analogies are like a peanutbutter cock fucking a huge-titted fried chicken. They are delicious yet have nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Sure maximizing profits is how any business is successful, but you maximize profits by taking calculated risks, not foolish ones.  Not allocating some resources to testing and version control would be a foolish risk. 

Some. Not 2x total hardware, software and maintenance budget.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2013 at 5:23pm by Gunga »  

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Mar 12th, 2013 at 5:22pm:
Some. Not 2x total hardware, software and maintenance budget.

U18, Mounlands, Lam, 8 Live servers. Sure you want to bang on the notion that adding an additional server to that chain for debug analysis would be 2x the maintenance cost?
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2013 at 5:30pm by »  

IP Logged

GermanicusMaximus
Dragon Raider

Thou shalt have no other
trolls before me.

Reply #55 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Mar 12th, 2013 at 4:25pm:
This.

Hardware costs, yo. It is fun to watch the mouthbreathers apply their extensive knowledge of how the fries station works to all aspects of technology and science, though.

I love these forums. Where else could I get

1) someone who admits he knows nothing about the topic at hand

2) has a pic of himself staring at a bunch of cocks which are  tantalizingly out of reach

accusing other people of being fry cooks?

Family, Country, and the US stock market. Although, in a pinch, any convertible currency or liquid asset will do.

Yobai wrote on Jun 18th, 2014 at 6:15pm:
I would rather give Thrudh a rim job.

Bigjunk wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 12:21pm:
That is some masterful trolling.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #56 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Quote:
U18, Mounlands, Lam. Sure you want to bang on the notion that adding a 4th server to that chain for debug analysis would be 2x the maintenance cost?

If they are only using 1 server now, but need another for a test environment, that would be two (or 2x). If they have piece of hardware for each server world, and need another for an identical test world, that would be a 14% increase to hardware and maintenance per year, every year. If they make the investment on a particularly good year, they may skip it the next year especially if they are trying to trim down to show profitability to a prospective buyer. Redundant facility costs are exactly double hardware costs, and I don't personally know of any small-midsized production companies that build redundant infrastructure. In my experience with Warner, testing scenarios were done with older, smaller or limited versions of the live service, often utilizing outdated technology. I have had personal experience with QC units required to meet federal compliance guidelines more recently; they are expensive and need to produce some serious value or they too are the first numbers crossed out at budget meetings.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #57 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
GermanicusMaximus wrote on Mar 12th, 2013 at 5:37pm:
I love these forums. Where else could I get

1) someone who admits he knows nothing about the topic at hand

2) has a pic of himself staring at a bunch of cocks which are  tantalizingly out of reach

accusing other people of being fry cooks?

Can you drive a car like a pro but not be able to adjust the timing, cuntmouth? I can.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #58 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 12th, 2013 at 4:20pm:
Fucking hardware cost...

I have what I think is an accurate idea of infrastructure involved in the Live server....

Lets just say that :
- 1 Oracle Cluster ( 2 powerful nodes at least )
- 1 EMC² Symetrix ( to hold the several terabytes of data )
- 1 SAN Infrastructure ( to connect the Symetrix to the Oracle Cluster and the Game Cluster )
- 1 Load Balancer for the Oracle Cluster
- 1 dedicated back end network infrastructure ( Gigagyte net, probably fiber)
- 1 Game Cluster ( around 100/200 blades, probably more )
- 1 Billing/accounting/authentication cluster ( several nodes .... 5/6 as it's common infrastructure )
- 1 Load Balancer infrastructure for the game server.
- 1 Front End Network ( common to all the servers )

Should be IMFO representative of what we call one single game server. ( say G-Land )

The number of blades in thee Game Cluster can be dynamically allocated to another server if needed... Eventually the Symetrix can be shared if they went for a big one, but it add complexity at the SAN and back end network.

not many companies can waste several hundred thousand dollars ( or euros ) for a test system.
And the few that can ( and do )  are usually way bigger than Turbine. ( lets say : in Telco : ATT, Verizon, BT, FT, DT, Telia, Vodafone, ... Ericsson, Alcatel-Lucent, Nokia-Siemens, Huawei, ZTE, ... HP, IBM, Oracle, SAP, ... )

Do you really need all of that stuff? Seriously.

Not trying to be an arsehole, just my business background of course is from the school of of course you have something to test live on. And there's still hilarity to telll. Am I missing something in the software industry here? (obviously capriciously losing your digital stuff in a videogame is a degree smaller than a FS company going tits up, but don't you build a test system in as a basic?

(I think I need to accept I don't know this world and shut up. But I am still in bafflement). If nothing else wouldn't you want the mirror system to blow up the exploits? Help me out here....

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
We have our ISO audit next month.  I come here to get away from my reality and you people talking about version control are stressing me out.

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #60 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
ISO to me is a baseball stat about extra base hits.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #61 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:26pm:
my business background of course is from the school of of course you have something to test live on

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #62 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Your analogies are like a peanutbutter cock fucking a huge-titted fried chicken.

This is part of why we are friends

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:14pm:
If they are only using 1 server now, but need another for a test environment, that would be two (or 2x). If they have piece of hardware for each server world, and need another for an identical test world, that would be a 14% increase to hardware and maintenance per year, every year. If they make the investment on a particularly good year, they may skip it the next year especially if they are trying to trim down to show profitability to a prospective buyer. Redundant facility costs are exactly double hardware costs, and I don't personally know of any small-midsized production companies that build redundant infrastructure. In my experience with Warner, testing scenarios were done with older, smaller or limited versions of the live service, often utilizing outdated technology. I have had personal experience with QC units required to meet federal compliance guidelines more recently; they are expensive and need to produce some serious value or they too are the first numbers crossed out at budget meetings.

I'd actually bump it up to 20% for additional  instrumentation (and nice round numbers for the bean-cunters). So 12 bucks a month instead of 10, killing off a redundant server part of the time like ML or Lam for part of the day, or starting a telethon. I'm thinkin DDO:Jerrys Kids.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #64 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:34pm:

What, you want your banking systems not to be able to replicate live? Cheesy

Douchebutter Smiley  Kiss

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #65 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
I think we can all agree that whatever processes Turbine are using  currently do not work very well.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Turkantho
Ex Member

Reply #66 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
fuck, stainer stop that deescalation and diplomacy shit things were getting interesting in here!

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #67 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Quote:
fuck, stainer stop that deescalation and diplomacy shit things were getting interesting in here!

We can throw around solutions all day, it isn't like Turbine is going to do anything to improve the situation. It is like telling congress to quit spending money.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2013 at 8:54pm by stainer »  

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #68 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 12:09am
Print Post  
You're taking a baby step towards the great level of my executive understanding in the matter.

How was that Holiday Inn you stayed at last night?

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #69 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Mar 12th, 2013 at 4:51pm:
Ah, you've caught me. I admitted that I don't know a lot about something that I've admitted I don't know a lot about. You're a retard, but I like you.

Editting ones post doesn't change the original quoted content sunshine.  Stainer please don't hack my company...waaawaaa...  LOL, you're a joke.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #70 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Mar 13th, 2013 at 12:13am:
Editting ones post doesn't change the original quoted content sunshine.  Stainer please don't hack my company...waaawaaa...  LOL, you're a joke.

DDO is hard.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #71 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 9:54am
Print Post  
I'll take one Load Balancer with a side order of Peanut Butter Oracle Clusters....Hold the Fried Chicken (Triglycerides and greasy sheets yah know)
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2013 at 9:55am by Mokune »  

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #72 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 10:08am
Print Post  
JDollar wrote on Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:58pm:
This is part of why we are friends

And all this time I thought it was the gentle nut-cupping.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #73 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 10:14am
Print Post  
I could tell this conversation got serious when the math came out...

Less math, moar diagrams!

Frog on all servers, but Cannith is home.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #74 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Luxgolg wrote on Mar 13th, 2013 at 10:14am:
Less math, moar diagrams!

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged