Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Turbine Forum FuckUp Tomorrow (Read 18892 times)
pape
Dragon Raider

Re: Turbine Forum FuckUp Tomorrow
Reply #25 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 7:13am
Print Post  
Turbine made a decision to change the way they handle business via the forums. They want to upgrade the forums? great, I'm all for that. They went one step further than necessary. They made the decision to tie the accounts and passwords and in doing so raised some very serious concerns about account safety.

The idea of having one password for forums and account is so fucking stupid turbine has even said not to do this in the past. They go against their own advice.

When the concern regarding this issue was raised in the original thread, and in countless threads and posts afterwords, they declined to comment. Not one peep has been said.

So I removed my cc info from the game after the initial announcement. Why wait? I'm not going to blow a chunk of change on a game treats valid concerns of paying customers that way.

So im going to go premium. Save a few points to get the packs I want/don't have and then will ditch vip when it expires. I will miss being able to open things on elite, which is the only real perk vip's get but I can live with that.

As for the forums, why leave? Because its a suck ass forum. Dinged for the slightest comment (ive gotten more pm's from cordovan and his ilk than players) and praised for saying and posting asinine things.

Gotta love it when you have 1600 posts, have said basically nothing and you get enough rep to neg people.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 7:55am
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 4:10am:
And then...  Earn Astral Shards by playing Farmville!

Sad

IP Logged

Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Reply #27 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 8:25am
Print Post  
The forums are still good for trading for me.  Or occasionally arguing with fucktards in byoh threads.  Other than that, not much value there. 

To not lose out on the lammy feedback I just plan on using one of the freetard accounts I have to keep abreast of info.

Idk, if I consider posting there regularly again it will likely be when I have placed a disposable cc onto my main account just to limit loss if something goes pear shaped.

Given their history with the lotro hack, forgetting about their domain, and poor maintenance of their sub sites (myddo) - I'm not confident this will be managed with any precision.

IP Logged

spathic
Stocky Greenis

Taunting the stupid since
before you were born.

Reply #28 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Madcow430 wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 8:25am:
when I have placed a disposable cc onto my main account just to limit loss

Get a card specifically for DDO. Talk to the credit card company and have your credit limit set at $1 or some other limited amount. You can readily increase your limit for points sales or when your sub payment is due, pay the balance and lower the limit. This covers the problem they've engineered where a security breach will likely not be for just people who are posting, but for everyone.

Instant asshole. Just add alcohol.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #29 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 9:24am
Print Post  
I know Frog Banks offer Virtual CC. Basically at the emission time of the card you specify who is allowed to draw from it ( Eg Turbine Inc ) and how much they are allowed to draw and at what interval ( say $60 every 6 month ).
You can even specify a validity period : 1 Day, 5 Days, 1 Month, 6 Months...

I just need to look into it and that's probably what I'm going to use from now on at Turbine.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #30 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Pre-paid from the teller. $100 with no names attached. "Valued Customer" will be the name of my second born. And when turdbin tries to do an auto subscription, the satisfaction of it bouncing is great

Frog on all servers, but Cannith is home.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #31 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 9:55am
Print Post  
These pre paid credit cards aren't really a thing in the UK - or if they exist I'm not really aware of them. Interesting concept.

I guess if I want to buy any more points I'll have to hope they've sorted their Paypal stuff out - from what I remember it used to be a bit flaky for non US accounts.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 3:53am:
I got them to take off my address details and the dead credit card I had on file a while back, but I'm confused why you guys are stopping posting / switching to different accounts. Surely your login and password details are going to be visible to a malicious hacker once they get into the database anyway, regardless of whether or not you are posting on the forums - you'd still be listed in the forum database as a forum person, wouldn't you?

Or are you assuming the databases with those details will be populated as people log in?

I has a confuse. Sorry if this is a daft question. I R not a techie.

Your understanding is 100% correct.  Posting with mule accounts will make it less likely that your ID will get noticed, but your "real" account will still be up on the forums for everyone to see if they decide to go looking for you *and* if someone grabs the entire database, then you'll absolutely be in there as well.

By the way, when I asked Turbine to remove my CC info, they asked me to verify my credit card or my address.  After they removed my CC info, I asked them to remove my address information from their database as well.  The CSR that was on the phone with me said that he would do/did that at my request.

And for prepaid cards in the UK, I googled and found this.
http://www.money.co.uk/prepaid-cards.htm

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #33 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Basically, having separate forum and game accounts is a fig leaf. I'd be willing to bet 50%+ of people on the forums reused login/password anyway because that's what normal people do. Going all chicken little about it now just because they're moving to a single account is a bit silly. I didn't see Memnir going apeshit when the forum hack happened.

It's Turbine sure, but being part of WB now is hopefully forcing some auditing and better procedures on them. Moving to a single account might be coming at least partly from WB like the billing update was.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #34 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 11:33am
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 11:30am:
reused login

If I remember right, it wouldn't let you do that. You are obviously an internet security expert, so you may have known that.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 11:38am
Print Post  
I have a pre-paid credit card that I use for DDO.  I have a second one that I use for online purchases because I'm a freaky tin foil hat wearing weirdo.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #36 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 11:41am
Print Post  
I think Jaxx has my credit card linked to his account SINCE I BOUGHT STUFF FROM HIM

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 11:43am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 11:41am:
I think Jaxx has my credit card linked to his account SINCE I BOUGHT STUFF FROM HIM

Oh snap!

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Basically, having separate forum and game accounts is a fig leaf. I'd be willing to bet 50%+ of people on the forums reused login/password anyway because that's what normal people do.

My account login and password were different than my forums login and password back in the day. 

Because I made a typo while I was creating my forums account...

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #39 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I have a pre-paid credit card that I use for DDO.  I have a second one that I use for online purchases because I'm a freaky tin foil hat wearing weirdo me.

Fixed that for you...

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #40 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 1:24am
Print Post  
Basically, having separate forum and game accounts is a fig leaf. I'd be willing to bet 50%+ of people on the forums reused login/password anyway because that's what normal people do. Going all chicken little about it now just because they're moving to a single account is a bit silly. I didn't see Memnir going apeshit when the forum hack happened.

yet again, someone who says "because there are idiots in the world, might as well treat them all as idiots".  There are people who don't wear seatbelts so lets remove them from all cars... Do you work for Turbine?

Yes, there are a lot people who do not practice safe internet (e.g. using different login names / passwords).
That is no excuse.

In the beginning, the game accounts and game login were totally separate from the forum accounts. In fact, you could sign up without having a forum account (that is why some people had a later forum account join date than their paying account). It was subscription based, so anyone who paid, had the same level of access on the forums.

When F2P came along, they needed a mechanism to separate the unwashed masses. They had accounts linked, but it only linked up to their name and whether they were VIP, F2P - it never exposed the actual password in their game login nor their game account.

Now, you will have a single game login and password that vBulletin will pass on. What could this expose? All of your game data and possible your credit card data (based on how they linked it up).
Just by linking a forum account to a game login, someone can use that to buy stuff from the DDOStore and dump it to other accounts (the DDOStore never asks for your game account login).
Have you ever clicked on the DDOStore / My Account? It shows your game account name (hack point) and minimal credit card info (not much). Now, click on the ENTER DIFFERENT CARD and they now have your BILLING ADDRESS for that card. Yes, if you have your billing address the same as your home, they know it!

I am troubled that they didn't come forward and said they were maintaining the segregation of accounts between the game login and the game account (where your pay information is stored). If they didn't do that, someone can harvest the database for ALL the credit card information.

How could I know? I ran vBulletin for several years and knew their bugs and how data got exposed to outside security agents. There are kiddie scripts to do this very thing.

tl;dr   You are an idiot...shut up.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #41 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 3:59am
Print Post  
The only true security on Internet is to have a system not connected to Internet.
If it's on Internet it can be compromised.
( honestly some systems are tougher than others, and some are just protected because the way to configure/access them is exotic. )

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2013 at 4:00am by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #42 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Dark_Helmet wrote on Apr 21st, 2013 at 1:24am:
How could I know? I ran vBulletin for several years and knew their bugs and how data got exposed to outside security agents. There are kiddie scripts to do this very thing.

tl;dr   You are an idiot...shut up.

You think you know shit because what, you admined a vB board? Right.

I'm no Turbine fan, but you don't know how their system is set up and neither does anyone else. They got caught with their pants down before from not securing vB and they have corporate oversight from WB so they hopefully are doing it better this time.

There's certainly reason to be concerned, but what bugs me is:
A) You weren't really any more secure with separate forum accounts.
B) People like Memnir are having a mental breakdown about it and it's not that important.
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2013 at 12:45pm by cdr »  

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Apr 21st, 2013 at 12:43pm:
I'm no Turbine fan, but you don't know how their system is set up and neither does anyone else. They got caught with their pants down before from not securing vB and they have corporate oversight from WB so they hopefully are doing it better this time.

That's kind of Turbine's schtick, though.  Not learning from mistakes they've made before.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #44 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Apr 21st, 2013 at 1:38pm:
That's kind of Turbine's schtick, though.  Not learning from mistakes they've made before.

???

That's NEVER happened!!!  Grin

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Kalari
Stormreaver Piker

Drama Ho!

Reply #45 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
all I know is per the companies advice 6 yrs ago I made a log in account that is different from my forum account including log on name and password. for the forums I used kalari and a different password. why are they changing shit now? its frustrating but meh the main board id full of tools anyway so I wont miss posting there.

It's not my fault you were born one gigantic asshole..

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #46 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Kalari wrote on Apr 21st, 2013 at 6:05pm:
all I know is per the companies advice 6 yrs ago I made a log in account that is different from my forum account including log on name and password. for the forums I used kalari and a different password. why are they changing shit now? its frustrating but meh the main board id full of tools anyway so I wont miss posting there.

Because the truth of it is those warnings are merely there to 1) cover themselves in the case of mouthbreathers and 2) give the appearance of caring about security.  reality is the company wants to look like it's being security conscious because it's cheaper and eaaier to do that than actually securing anything.

you are neither more nor less secure now than you were.  Residual risk remains the same because barring being absolutely stupid with your password; all accountability and responsibility lies with the system owners.

i totally agree, however, that they're being inconsistent.  woulda been better to own the risk and communicate more intelligently back in the day so they didn't have to look stupid now.

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #47 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 1:24am
Print Post  
Well it's not a great move on turbines part but on the other hand who has has gotten their DDO account hacked before?

It's the net, every time you enter it you risk a VTD, so protect yourself and don't be stupid and use passwords like qwerty, God, sex, 1234 etc etc and I think it will be fine.

Like others have said I don't think we will be any safer either way.

« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2013 at 1:26am by Silky »  

IP Logged

deftest
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 4:37am
Print Post  
Silky wrote on Apr 22nd, 2013 at 1:24am:
don't be stupid and use passwords like qwerty, God, sex, 1234 etc etc and I think it will be fine.

FUCK!!!! how do you know all my passwords .. are you a wizard ?
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2013 at 4:46am by deftest »  

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #49 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 5:52am
Print Post  
deftest wrote on Apr 22nd, 2013 at 4:37am:
FUCK!!!! how do you know all my passwords .. are you a wizard ?

Don't worry, his ability to use more than one person's access credentials will be taken away in the enhancement pass.

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint