Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Turbine Forum FuckUp Tomorrow (Read 18885 times)
Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Turbine Forum FuckUp Tomorrow
Apr 18th, 2013 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Turbine's forum "upgrade", linking all account and forum information into one handy bundle, goes live tomorrow. This includes credit card info. It's also the root of the LotRO hack a little time ago, and we've gotten no assurances it won't happen again with this bewildering maneuver tomorrow.

Want to remove your CC info? Fastest way is to call em: 1-855-WBGAMES

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

pape
Dragon Raider

Re: Turbine Forum FuckUp Tomorrow
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
I signed out, will not log back in anymore. Read only from this point on.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Memnir wrote on Apr 18th, 2013 at 12:49pm:
Turbine's forum "upgrade", linking all account and forum information into one handy bundle, goes live tomorrow. This includes credit card info. It's also the root of the LotRO hack a little time ago, and we've gotten no assurances it won't happen again with this bewildering maneuver tomorrow.

Want to remove your CC info? Fastest way is to call em: 1-855-WBGAMES

I'm very glad that I never put a CC on file.  Years ago, Mr. Wizard put together a very nicely document list of all things Turbine should do to improve their account management, security, and usability.  All of which was promptly ignored by Turbine.  Bah, I'm done with logging in, too.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
I am pretty sure they took a poll and determined this is what the community wants.

In other news, they will be separating out the class forums LIKE WE FUCKING WANTED TWO FUCKING YEARS AGO

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
They will take your details off, if you log a ticket, I got my ex credit card obliterated, because I didn't want them to even hold a billing address for me.

Silly rabbits.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
My favorite part of this change?

The fact that most active DDOVault members can continue to post on the official forums with no security problems.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2013 at 1:29pm by NOTpopejubal »  

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
logging off the official forums and making a dud account, so I can revel in their ingenious idea to make things easy to hack.

yup.

Terebinthia wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:26pm:
the Wayward Lobster is a retard petting zoo.

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
kierg10 wrote on Apr 18th, 2013 at 1:32pm:
logging off the official forums and making a dud account, so I can revel in their ingenious idea to make things easy to hack.

yup.

Make a dud acct and post your password in your sig :p

Frog on all servers, but Cannith is home.

IP Logged

Ekkehart
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
This sucks even more for VIPs that can't unlink their credit cards from account without losing access.

I'm not sure I'd have any option to make this better besides quitting ddo altogether. If they can inject sql on forums databases, they'd prolly be able to get my info from there whether I'm still posting there or not.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2013 at 1:42pm by »  

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Their web team is top notch. MyDDO and the fact that they FUCKING LET THE DOMAIN NAMES EXPIRE, should not cloud your judgement. I am sure this will work out fine.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
btw anyone wanna tell me how to set up a forum username/password with a new account? reading their faq gives absolutely no help, and I completely forgot.....

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #11 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:
This sucks even more for VIPs that can't unlink their credit cards from account without losing access.

I'm not sure I'd have any option to make this better besides quitting ddo altogether. If they can inject sql on forums databases, they'd prolly be able to get my info from there whether I'm still posting there or not.

pre-paid CCs FTW. 

Make a troll-account for forum use.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
kierg10 wrote on Apr 18th, 2013 at 1:43pm:
btw anyone wanna tell me how to set up a forum username/password with a new account? reading their faq gives absolutely no help, and I completely forgot.....

Sign up for DDO as a new user.  Enjoy the mule characters to hold scrolls/metal type weapon blanks for Cannith Crafting/etc along with the new forums account.

https://signup.ddo.com/ddo.php?ftui=DDOBlackDragonHC&abrs=774_1366307995

(and if you forget, just go to www.ddo.com and it will redirect you to that signup page)

IP Logged

Jalora
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Apr 18th, 2013 at 1:43pm:
Their web team is top notch. MyDDO and the fact that they FUCKING LET THE DOMAIN NAMES EXPIRE, should not cloud your judgement. I am sure this will work out fine.

Seamless transition and no security incidents, because here at Turbine, quality matters....

IP Logged

Ekkehart
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Apr 18th, 2013 at 1:44pm:
pre-paid CCs FTW. 

Make a troll-account for forum use.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that wouldn't make any difference since my posts and everything else would remain there... hence if someone could expose the databases via whatever vbulettin exploit, it'd make no difference whether I'd been posting lately or not.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #15 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Apr 18th, 2013 at 1:44pm:
pre-paid CCs FTW.

Yup.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #16 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Memnir wrote on Apr 18th, 2013 at 12:49pm:

What? I haven't been paying much attention, but I'm skeptical you have any clue what you're ranting about.

The "root of the LotRO hack" was them not bothering to keep vB minimally up to date, as far as I recall. Unless you mean some other hack I hadn't heard of.

Single-sign-on - what they seem to be doing - does not necessarily involve "linking all account and forum information into one handy bundle". Heck, it could be more secure than what their vB setup was, depending on what they're doing. I guess it is Turbine though.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #17 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Apr 18th, 2013 at 3:20pm:
The "root of the LotRO hack" was them not bothering to keep vB minimally up to date, as far as I recall. Unless you mean some other hack I hadn't heard of.

It was sql based, as I recall, and exposed the forum passwords. LOTRO used the same password/username for the forums as they do in the game. That is what DDO is moving to.

Feel free to shut the fuck up now.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #18 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Apr 18th, 2013 at 3:27pm:
It was sql based, as I recall, and exposed the forum passwords. LOTRO used the same password/username for the forums as they do in the game. That is what DDO is moving to.

Feel free to shut the fuck up now.

SQL access was gained by using a known vB vulnerability, which had already been patched. Turbine's installation hadn't been updated in like 2 years, naturally.

If they had done SSO correctly (heck, basic security correctly) passwords shouldn't have been accessible from a compromised forum installation. Maybe they've learned their lesson? Hahahahahaha.

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #19 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Apr 18th, 2013 at 2:00pm:
Sign up for DDO as a new user.  Enjoy the mule characters to hold scrolls/metal type weapon blanks for Cannith Crafting/etc along with the new forums account.

(and if you forget, just go to www.ddo.com and it will redirect you to that signup page)

did the whole sign up a new account thing, but the problem is that won't allow me to log on to forums (yet).

I gotta go and do some crap in the my.account.turbine website and activate forum account, can't find button for it lol.

IP Logged

Braegan
Korthos Resident

I Love Stuff!

Reply #20 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
I just don't trust them enough to leave my info there. Especially, since not one Turbine rep has even bothered to give some generic placating comment over any of the threads that raised concern over security issues.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #21 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 2:26am
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Apr 18th, 2013 at 2:00pm:

If you earned the cube pet, you should have 3 mule accounts around already...; just use one of them.
Otherwise the above is valid...

Or if you did like me when we were dumped from Europe : I created an account F2P and used it until I knew how I was going to be eaten... then, I created my real account so that my characters could get a home... and put the F2P account to sleep ( there's even some greenis on that sleeping account ).
I will probably use that F2P account.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #22 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 3:53am
Print Post  
I got them to take off my address details and the dead credit card I had on file a while back, but I'm confused why you guys are stopping posting / switching to different accounts. Surely your login and password details are going to be visible to a malicious hacker once they get into the database anyway, regardless of whether or not you are posting on the forums - you'd still be listed in the forum database as a forum person, wouldn't you?

Or are you assuming the databases with those details will be populated as people log in?

I has a confuse. Sorry if this is a daft question. I R not a techie.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 4:09am
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 3:53am:
I got them to take off my address details and the dead credit card I had on file a while back, but I'm confused why you guys are stopping posting / switching to different accounts. Surely your login and password details are going to be visible to a malicious hacker once they get into the database anyway, regardless of whether or not you are posting on the forums - you'd still be listed in the forum database as a forum person, wouldn't you?

Or are you assuming the databases with those details will be populated as people log in?

Typical girl. No idea about tech. Bwahahahaha.

In a sudden turn of events, I also do not understand it.

The only thing that I can think of, is if somebody somehow gets your password when you are logging in.
Or what?

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #24 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 4:10am
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 3:53am:
Surely your login and password details are going to be visible to a malicious hacker once they get into the database anyway, regardless of whether or not you are posting on the forums - you'd still be listed in the forum database as a forum person, wouldn't you?

It's not a daft question at all, you're almost certainly entirely correct (depending on how they go about it).  Whether you post from a mule account or not, your real account is probably going to be allocated a forum login and will still potentially be compromised by any successful hack.

Thing is, done properly this stuff isn't a problem; after all, people post reviews and argue on Amazon forums using the same details they sign in to shop with.  It just doesn't strike me that the likelihood of this being done properly is terribly high.

What's the betting that they "fix" the lack of blogs and so on by implementing OpenID so people can log on with their Facebook accounts?   Sad

And then...  Earn Astral Shards by playing Farmville!
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2013 at 8:18am by Persiflage »  

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint