Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Is this more than usual? (Read 32920 times)
Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Re: Is this more than usual?
Reply #100 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:38pm:
I remember a thread that was out Pre-MoTU where in you stated that MoTU would be a flop if the cap goes up by 5 and new gear comes out and we are still wearing the same stuff from before.  The new gear had to completely supersede the old. 

I think that was wrong.  As we have seen, the new gear did invalidate the old.  It also, by association, invalidated Reavers Fate, Abbott, VoD, Hound, ToD, and E Chronoscope.  It didn't completely wipe out, but severely crippled, LoB, MA, eVoN, eDesert, eFens, ePhirlian, and eSentinels. 

That left you with running 14 quests and 1 or 2 Raids instead of 50 some quests and 10 raids.  It was a huge hit to end game appeal. 

One year later we are to 29 quests and 2 (or 3) raids.  If they did fix the old epics and let them drop completed items and use commendations to upgrade all the level 20 versions to level 23 versions that would be more end game relevant all that content could become viable again.  A fix is needed.  The gear is solid for leveling from 20-23.  It's just too much of a grind for mid level gear.  Make it match the current system and give it a progression path for upgrade and it would be a boon.   

Maybe.  We will never know for sure because the gear they released in MOTU was stupid easy to get.  I had the 3 piece cleric set in a little over an hour.

They changed the grind from gear to XP with the pack.  If epics were still shard, seal, scroll and once a day in MOTU, replacing all the gear would have taken longer and kept people running older epics for interim items. 

It took less than a month to gear up all my characters.   Hell, even the hard to get items were farmed out.  Everything was BOE and farmed to ransack.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:51pm by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #101 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
yabb

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #102 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:48pm:
Maybe.  We will never know for sure because the gear they released in MOTU was stupid easy to get.  I had the 3 piece cleric set in a little over an hour.

They changed the grind from gear to XP with the pack.  If epics were still shard, seal, scroll and once a day in MOTU, replacing all the gear would have taken longer and kept people running older epics for interim items. 

It took less than a month to gear up all my characters.   Hell, even the hard to get items were farmed out.  Everything was BOE and farmed to ransack.

I agree with you on the once a day thing.  The players need something to stop them from killing the game for themselves.  The once per day epic runs helped with that.  It made it better to have more toons and do more things. 

The seal/shard/scroll mechanic was crap though.  And I'm saying this as a guy who had 3 sets of red dragon armor, 3 full abashai sets, 2 claw sets, eTorc, eMariChain, etc.  About the only thing I never completed that I wanted (besides the pratically impossible eRoSS) was an eSoS.  I put in my time on it. 

I did not like that MoTU loot had so many random attributes and had only one tier of item.  (I like the EN/EH/EE version concept)

I do like that it was dropping complete items. 

The ability to ransack the chests and grind out multiple 3rd run lists on the chains did make it too easy to get the loot, however.

IP Logged

Asketes
Puppy Farmer

Perma

Reply #103 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
I still never got my fuggin SOS.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #104 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 1:08pm:
The seal/shard/scroll mechanic was crap though.

Asketes wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 1:47pm:
I still never got my fuggin SOS.

It had it's pro's and con's...  The randomness sucked the fact that you could run one e-Von or 100 to get that SoS was bad.  The drop rates were too easy to manipulate by Turbine has anyone even seen a eRing of Spell Storingor the dozens of crap shards and seals that seemed to drop with a huge frequency.   The fact that scrolls were farmable by only one or two classes hurt the system.  On the other side, the system encouraged grouping.  It encourage running multiple different quests each day.  It was hard to get gear so for a while at least items felt special.  It took time which kept the content in play longer.  It was also really exciting when you finally got all the pieces and built an item.

Personally, I much prefer farming gear to farming XP. 
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2013 at 1:59pm by Eladiun »  

Quote:

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #105 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 1:58pm:

Farming gear was better than farming XP.  There was some variety, especially with the Epic 16 hour timer.  You were forced to run different stuff.

IP Logged

Asketes
Puppy Farmer

Perma

Reply #106 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 1:58pm:

Agreed.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #107 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:01pm:
Farming gear was better than farming XP.  There was some variety, especially with the Epic 16 hour timer.  You were forced to run different stuff.

Totally, when I found myself asking what people were doing in GC and everyone was essentially farming the same half dozen quests for destiny XP over and over I found logging in less appealing.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:05pm by Eladiun »  

Quote:

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #108 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:05pm:
Totally, when I found myself asking what people were doing in GC and everyone was essentially farming the same half dozen quests for destiny XP over and over I found logging in less appealing.

uggghhh . . . asking people "what do you need" and them replying "XP" made me want to punch a baby.

I still find ways to keep myself entertained but I completely understand people abandoning this game.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #109 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
It stinks like baby diapers in here. End game is fun as hell when you're pulling good loot and tr'ing is a great filler when other guildmates are busy. As long as I can't guarantee a win every time on the latest EE raid, there's something left to accomplish. I know Junk ain't running FOT on elite every time, so I'm not sure how he can come in here and say everything is too easy, he's too powerful and there is no end game. I'm still looking for loot and trying to fill in some of the blanks on my toons. I want an orb on all of the toons I play..that's a good amount of ee tors I need to run and I still have a blast doing it. If you want to race cars, play lightsabers or snipe zombies than you should find another game, but you're not leaving because you beat DDO. None of the friends that I have who left the game play an equal amount of time on another game. They had a change in RL shit and couldn't put the time into DDO anymore.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:09pm by Gunga »  

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #110 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 28th, 2013 at 9:26pm:
How do you know the player base and income are decreasing?  I've not seen any published or internal reports on this. 

Use logic.

Were you playing the game in September 2009, which is when F2P began?

At US night time, you had a minimum of 5 market instances and once players got going, you had three instances in Meridia.  Sometimes, there were double digits of instances in the Market, and not just during events.

If you logged in during US morning hours, there were three instances in the market.  MINIMUM.

VIPs have left the game in droves.  Read the DDO forums.  How many VIPs on this forum LEFT the game?  Stainer, a diehard DDO player, started this forum so he could speak his mind.  Stainer enjoyed DDO so much, that he created his own forum to talk about it.  Stainer has QUIT playing.

Now, if you log in during US morning hours, there is one instance in the market.  One instance in the Harbor.  I don't remember the last time I saw two or more instances in Meridia, probably spring of 2010.

There are other sources that provide numbers on DDO.  The DDORACLE uses the API and prints out numbers.

The DDORacle lists there as being 3,200,000 characters in the game.  Then, when you look at the numbers there is a little over 600,000 being active.  Active as being defined as logging in within the last six months.

What percentage of players do you think have MULTIPLE accounts?  The percentage is very high.

How many on this forum created multiple accounts so they could get the Cube companion?  I bet quite a few of you did.  If the companions ever do something, that is when I will get one.

How many LFMs do you see?  Do you complain about there not being enough LFMs?

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #111 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:43pm:
Use logic.

Well, that disqualifies you. Beat it.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #112 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
VIPs have left the game in droves.  Read the DDO forums.  How many VIPs on this forum LEFT the game?  Stainer, a diehard DDO player, started this forum so he could speak his mind.  Stainer enjoyed DDO so much, that he created his own forum to talk about it.  Stainer has QUIT playing.

I like this part.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #113 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Stainer, a diehard DDO player, started this forum so he could speak his mind.  Stainer enjoyed DDO so much, that he created his own forum to talk about it.  Stainer has QUIT playing.

Yeah, Stainer is awesome.  Go! Stainer!

This should be good.

Quote:

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #114 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:47pm:
I like this part.

I thought that Stainer left for tractors, but let's ask him.

Stainer, how many hours per week do you play an mmo other than DDO?

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #115 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:07pm:
It stinks like baby diapers in here. End game is fun as hell when you're pulling good loot and tr'ing is a great filler when other guildmates are busy. As long as I can't guarantee a win every time on the latest EE raid, there's something left to accomplish. I know Junk ain't running FOT on elite every time, so I'm not sure how he can come in here and say everything is too easy, he's too powerful and there is no end game. I'm still looking for loot and trying to fill in some of the blanks on my toons. I want an orb on all of the toons I play..that's a good amount of ee tors I need to run and I still have a blast doing it. 

People will run raids in the highest difficulty when there is a loot incentive to do so.  EE quests have a loot incentive and are run all the time . . . pugged . . . BYOH . . . etc.  The incentive was there so people went through the trouble of running/learning these quests. 

When you needed Epic LOB to get Tier III Spirits it was run all the time.  Same for EE CiTW, 2 comms a run was a enough to get those filled up and running assembly-line style. 

Nobody runs LOB at all anymore if if you still want Alchemicals there's no incentive to run EE as the spirits all drop on the lower difficulties.  it's a shame because EE LOB is pretty friggin fun.

FoT killed the need to run EE CiTW.  Do you guys still run this either?

FoT's a Commendation farm filled with a bunch of meh loot.  Once you've done EE once just to say you did it what's the point in running it again?

If Turbine put real loot incentives in EE raids like they do in quests they'd get done all the time and people would take the time to learn to run them well.  As it is now, people would rather just run EE quests, EH Raids, or TR while they wait for something new to come out.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #116 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Stainer, a diehard DDO player, started this forum so he could speak his mind.  Stainer enjoyed DDO so much, that he created his own forum to talk about it.  Stainer has QUIT playing.

I don't suppose if I told you this isn't my forum, and you can look at join dates and see I didn't join until it had been up for over a year, you would believe me would you?

Because you are that stupid.

stupid
stupid
stupid

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #117 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:54pm:
Stainer, how many hours per week do you play an mmo other than DDO?

Not much.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #118 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:56pm:
FoT's a Commendation farm filled with a bunch of meh loot.  Once you've done EE once just to say you did it what's the point in running it again?

Everyone in RG wants that 30 resist trinket, so it's worth running if you can finish it. It's not a guarantee finish for any guild on ghallanda (exploits notwithstanding) which means that there absolutely is a challenge at end game. Besides, it's fun.

I do agree about grinding out destiny xp - that's no fun, so I don't do it.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2013 at 3:01pm by Gunga »  

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #119 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 3:01pm:
Everyone in RG wants that 30 resist trinket, so it's worth running if you can finish it. It's not a guarantee finish for any guild on ghallanda (exploits notwithstanding) which means that there absolutely is a challenge at end game. Besides, it's fun.

I do agree about grinding out destiny xp - that's no fun, so I don't do it.

Hmmm . . . is that augment bound or tradable?

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #120 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
http://ddowiki.com/page/Draconic_Soul_Gem

Looks tradable . . . I think you just me some incentive.

IP Logged

Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Reply #121 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Tradeable I thought...

I know I am just starting to spark interest in my fellow deviants in running EE to get this item.

Even if we don't want it, someone will that has something I'm too lazy to farm for.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #122 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Use logic.

Were you playing the game in September 2009, which is when F2P began?

At US night time, you had a minimum of 5 market instances and once players got going, you had three instances in Meridia.  Sometimes, there were double digits of instances in the Market, and not just during events.

If you logged in during US morning hours, there were three instances in the market.  MINIMUM.

Now, if you log in during US morning hours, there is one instance in the market.  One instance in the Harbor.  I don't remember the last time I saw two or more instances in Meridia, probably spring of 2010.

There are other sources that provide numbers on DDO.  The DDORACLE uses the API and prints out numbers.

The DDORacle lists there as being 3,200,000 characters in the game.  Then, when you look at the numbers there is a little over 600,000 being active.  Active as being defined as logging in within the last six months.

What percentage of players do you think have MULTIPLE accounts?  The percentage is very high.

How many on this forum created multiple accounts so they could get the Cube companion?  I bet quite a few of you did.  If the companions ever do something, that is when I will get one.

How many LFMs do you see?  Do you complain about there not being enough LFMs?

Yes.  I've been playing since early 2008.  The harbor and marketplace were flooded with level 1-6 toons right after F2P.  What is your point?

You will never again see multiple Meridia instances.  Not because the game is dying but because Shroud is barely relevant anymore.  In 2009 it was still the primary gear raid in the game.  Every toon needed at least 1 shroud weapon and 1 or 2 shroud items.  I've run shroud maybe 2 times this year.  In 2009, I was running it twice a day.  Along with ToD too.  When was the last time you saw multiple Amrath instances?  Shit!  The game is seriously on the decline.

(BTW, you do realize that back in 2009 there were no airships and the only way to get places, unless you had a Royal Guard Mask or could cast/scroll teleport, was to run through the marketplace a lot, right?  Now with guild airships the only time I go in the marketplace is to run a quest there or to get to House Cannith.)

Some VIP's have left the game.  Some new ones have joined.  Some switched to Premium and still play.  Again, what is your point.

(BTW Part 2:  Stainer did not start this board.  You are really sounding stupid now.)

OK.  How does that 600,000 compare to last year at this time?  Or 2011? 2008?  Also, revenue <> active accounts, per se.  This is not the old subscription model.  VIP subs are not the only measure of revenue or success.  I am a VIP.  I know of 4-5 guildies and friends who are Premium and spend more on the game per month than I do. 

You seem stuck in the past when the cap was 16, Shroud was king, and people hung out in the marketplace between quests instead of on their guild ships.  Did you fall asleep at the keyboard and miss the last 4 years of DDO?

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #123 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
The augment is tradeable and only drops on EE (3% chance).

Bigjunk wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:56pm:
FoT killed the need to run EE CiTW.  Do you guys still run this either?

If Turbine put real loot incentives in EE raids like they do in quests they'd get done all the time and people would take the time to learn to run them well.  As it is now, people would rather just run EE quests, EH Raids, or TR while they wait for something new to come out.

We run EH CitW twice a week because some people still want <insert elusive item to them here>.  We haven't run EE CitW since Turbine broke Lolth's mana drain which hits for 5k.

We run FoT 6-8 times a week.  Difficulty depends on the number of guildies on.  If we've got 7, we'll shortman EE (no pugs).  If we have less than that, we'll run EH and open it to pugs for 2 minutes (we're an impatient bunch).  I have all loot upgraded that I care to upgrade.  Now it's about getting 20ths for tomes, collecting commendations for expansion raid loot, the next tier of FoT raid loot in U19 (like what they did with CitW in U16), or gear to-be-dusted-off-and-upgraded with the new enhancement system.

It's pretty boring.  I login at raid time, do my thing for 90 minutes and log off to go do something else.  I play a fraction of the time I used to.  I'm not TRing again until the enhancement system is "done".
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2013 at 3:36pm by Carpone »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #124 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
I think the following things are a pretty big part of the problem:

Raid Bypass Timers
Removal of the Epic quest timer
High drop rates on EH and EE GH gear

The shit did get farmed out way too quickly. 

Without bypasses people would have reached 1st 20th runs on or around April 19th at the earliest. 

Many people had the new dragon armor, fully upgraded, by the end of the first weekend.  No way that happens with the 1 day timer and raid timers in effect, unless you had 6 or more toons ready to roll and a stack of comms from CiTW already in the bag. 

In contrast, how long was it before we had the first set of Cormyrian Red, Cormyrian Green, or Eberron Red (back in the day)?  It was too fucking easy.  I had 3 sets by the end of the first week, and I play 20 hours per week or less. 

Old epics were too grindy.  This is too easy.  There is a middle ground.  They need to find it. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 
Send TopicPrint