Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Is this more than usual? (Read 32946 times)
Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Re: Is this more than usual?
Reply #125 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 3:53pm:
I think the following things are a pretty big part of the problem:

Raid Bypass Timers

When we talk slippery slope, this for me was the first sign that the game was going in the shitter.  Quite possibly, the most destructive items ever added a game in a cash grab.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #126 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 3:34pm:
We run FoT 6-8 times a week.  Difficulty depends on the number of guildies on.  If we've got 7, we'll shortman EE (no pugs).

We need to run it more to get to that efficiency on EE, but saying that you run a raid 8 times a week doesn't really support the others' claim that there is no end game.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #127 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 4:19pm:
We need to run it more to get to that efficiency on EE, but saying that you run a raid 8 times a week doesn't really support the others' claim that there is no end game.

There isn't "no" end-game, there's less relevant end-game than there was pre-U14.  Expanding the level-cap made the game smaller.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #128 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
eGH is not as "farmed out" as people are claiming. Maybe for a tiny subset of grinders, but there's still an enormous demand for any halfway decent item. Good EE items are 3-6M pp. Even something like a EN Ghost-Waking Cloak goes for 500K+. U14-16 items topped out at maybe 3M, I can't remember the last time I saw this kind of demand for items. People I know have a hell of a time getting the specific EE helm they want, unless they want to blow $50 worth of TP or AS.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #129 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 4:26pm:
There isn't "no" end-game, there's less relevant end-game than there was pre-U14.  Expanding the level-cap made the game smaller.

How so? There was a time that all we did was log in and run shroud on every toon. The only challenge was to run it in less than 20 minutes. For me, there has never been as boring an endgame as that year and a half or so.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #130 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 4:31pm:
How so? There was a time that all we did was log in and run shroud on every toon. The only challenge was to run it in less than 20 minutes. For me, there has never been as boring an endgame as that year and a half or so.

If that's what you were doing, you hadn't found end game yet.

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #131 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 4:40pm:

1/30/08 - Mod 6
9/1/09 - Epics

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #132 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 4:31pm:

I didn't play back then, I also said end-game was smaller than it was before u14 not all the way back in 'vast and mysterious.'

I used to have the below raids that were run regularly:

-  Shroud
-  ToD
-  VoD
-  Titan -  ran regularly until I got my Chattering Rings
-  EDQ
-  EVON6
-  EChrono
-  LOB
-  Reaver for the boots

Now I run

- CiTW
- FoT

The other stuff occasionally but it's been weeks if not months.

Almost all of the old gear pre U14 is not worth pursuing, running those packs other than for XP or boredom isn't worth it.

So that leaves us with High Road and EGH.

That's less.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #133 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 4:54pm:
I didn't play back then, I also said end-game was smaller than it was before u14 not all the way back in 'vast and mysterious.'

Fair enough.

Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #134 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 6:14pm
Print Post  

-  Shroud
-  ToD
-  VoD
-  EDQ
-  EVON6
-  EChrono
-  LOB
-  Reaver for the boots

Now I run

- CiTW
- FoT

The other stuff occasionally

Pretty much this.  I run lots of FoT because it's fast, guaranteed commendations and fun to shortman.

I've run out of "give a fuck" for the other raids.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #135 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 7:02pm
Print Post  

-  Shroud
-  ToD
-  VoD
-  EDQ
-  EVON6
-  EChrono
-  LOB
-  Reaver for the boots

Now I run

- CiTW
- FoT

The other stuff occasionally but it's been weeks if not months.

Almost all of the old gear pre U14 is not worth pursuing, running those packs other than for XP or boredom isn't worth it.

So that leaves us with High Road and EGH.

That's less.

Replace Titan with Abbott, this is exactly where I was and am now at. 

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #136 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:36am:
...and there in lies the question is the Delta positive or negative.  How many new players are left to be attracted to a seven year old niche MMO?  F2P created a huge bump but how many people are there out there who play MMO's
DDO is rarely mentioned on any of the gaming boards or sites that I follow.

Since they gave up on VIP, the true value isn't how many are playing but how much money they are paying (pay to win drives it all). I used to track the statistics of people who are logged in. Now, that means nothing.

I still see a lot of new players. Lower levels are still running around in modest numbers (not like the big surge times). Most vets avoid those areas and don't see "the real numbers". The question is "how much are they paying?"  I still have guildies ponying up the money for Otto's boxe(r)s. Yes, it was a cash cow, but now it creates the mid level desert as well as higher level crappy groups when used by unequiped novices. So, you have someone who spent a year's subscription on 2 Ottoboxes and you get less load on the server - yet the servers are still faltering. Just seems like they generate 2 bugs for everyone one fixed.

If they don't fix their procedures (bugs getting re-introduced over and over) and actually fix more bugs than they create, Critical mass is coming.

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #137 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 4:40pm:

what are you talking about? there was only one raid for 2 years. then we got the shit that was vod and hound

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #138 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 6:14pm:
Pretty much this.  I run lots of FoT because it's fast, guaranteed commendations and fun to shortman.

I've run out of "give a fuck" for the other raids.

yup fot its a social raid now which is good (like shroud used to be)
citw rarely

ee tor and ee pop for lootz and thats about it.

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:

Quote:

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #139 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
What I don't understand is why people continue playing if there are two raids that you run, and everything else is just for the lulz.
I saw the changes coming miles and miles away.  I pre-purchased a collector's edition MotU pack, hoping that I was wrong, and by the time it hit I was into Gw2 (beta at the time), having far more fun than I had in DDO in a very long time.
Now I split my time between Gw2, Defiance and Firefall.  With Neverwinter hitting open beta tomorrow I'll have another to throw into the mix.  Between game hopping (with a few unmentioned others thrown in the mix at various times), I have been having a blast gaming lately without the worries of becoming bored in any one game, or getting to the point where I run the same two raids/instances for a reason and everything else for the lulz.

Seriously, I have had far more fun gaming since I stopped playing DDO than I had for quite a long time while I was playing it, and I don't understand how you guys can play like that and still consider it fun.
If you're staying for the people that's one thing, but the individuals claiming that the game is still fun for them, when they're running the same few instances for a reason and the rest for lulz, just baffles me.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #140 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:15pm:
What I don't understand is why people continue playing if there are two raids that you run, and everything else is just for the lulz.

We're stupid optimists who hope it'll get better.

it's still fun, just not as good as it used to be.

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #141 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
I saw the changes coming miles and miles away.  I pre-purchased a collector's edition MotU pack, hoping that I was wrong, and by the time it hit I was into Gw2 (beta at the time), having far more fun than I had in DDO in a very long time.
Now I split my time between Gw2, Defiance and Firefall.  With Neverwinter hitting open beta tomorrow I'll have another to throw into the mix.  Between game hopping (with a few unmentioned others thrown in the mix at various times), I have been having a blast gaming lately without the worries of becoming bored in any one game, or getting to the point where I run the same two raids/instances for a reason and everything else for the lulz.

Seriously, I have had far more fun gaming since I stopped playing DDO than I had for quite a long time while I was playing it, and I don't understand how you guys can play like that and still consider it fun.
If you're staying for the people that's one thing, but the individuals claiming that the game is still fun for them, when they're running the same few instances for a reason and the rest for lulz, just baffles me.

the only time i have more fun is whrn there is a good xploit going. i play to run with friends and grind out those last few items my 4-5 ttoons ned. no other game comes close to the combat/character building as DDO in an mmo. elder scrolls has some potentiak but so far no mmo's come close to ddo beyond playing them a couple months because they are shiny new. if there was any better i would play it.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #142 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 12:09am
Print Post  
Dark_Helmet wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 9:21pm:
Since they gave up on VIP

How exactly did they "give up" on VIP? They gave VIP +10% speed and +10% XP, VIP is more valuable now than any time in history. If I did stoned TR lives again I'd for sure buy a month of VIP for the extra 400K or whatever XP a life.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #143 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 4:46pm:
1/30/08 - Mod 6
9/1/09 - Epics

Misunderstood the reply in the context of what you were replying too.

Quote:

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #144 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Firefall

How is Firefall?  Siss and I were eyeing it.

Quote:

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #145 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 12:22am
Print Post  
Dark_Helmet wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 9:21pm:
Since they gave up on VIP, the true value isn't how many are playing but how much money they are paying (pay to win drives it all). I used to track the statistics of people who are logged in. Now, that means nothing.

That's a good point.  It's not log in's it store dollars so there is very little to track it.  Hell Zigna's made a fortune on stupid...

Quote:

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #146 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 12:28am
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Apr 30th, 2013 at 12:09am:
How exactly did they "give up" on VIP? They gave VIP +10% speed and +10% XP, VIP is more valuable now than any time in history. If I did stoned TR lives again I'd for sure buy a month of VIP for the extra 400K or whatever XP a life.

430,000 or the amount required to go from 15-16 on a double TR with some change or like maybe 3 hours of game play....whoopie. 

10% run speed in public areas...be still my heart.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2013 at 12:30am by Eladiun »  

Quote:

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #147 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Apr 30th, 2013 at 12:21am:
How is Firefall?  Siss and I were eyeing it.

I've been having a blast with it.  Of the games that I'm currently playing, Firefall gets the most time by a stretch.
It has more of a sandbox feel to it, but there is always plenty to do.  As more of a sandbox game, crafting is a big part of it.
Instead of choosing a "class", you put on a battleframe.  You can change frames as often as you like anytime you find a battleframe station, so you can play as any "class" you need to at any time.  Experience earned is used as a currency to purchase frame upgrades (more mass, power and cpu - each frame has it's own XP bar) which allows for equipping higher tier modules (which give you your skills, and thus increase the effectiveness of those skills via being higher tier).  These modules are crafted, as are upgraded weapons (again, crafting plays a large role here).
As for the crafting, the thing I usually hate about it is resource collection.  In this case, said resource collection isn't about finding a node and clicking on it.  It's about searching the environment for a good source and calling down a thumper to collect it for you.  The thumper will call mobs as it works, and you need to defend it, so it turns resource collection into on-demand content.  Different types of thumpers are available, ranging from easy mode single player style (with little resource collection) to large scale full party chaos style (with great resource collection) and everything in between.
There are also plenty of events that occur, and time trial style races, etc, as well as the overarching theme of an invasion by enemy forces.  When enemy forces attack a certain area you must repel them or lose the area.  If an area is lost, either you'll have to take it back, or it can possibly become inaccessible for three hours depending on it's location relative to the edge of the map (which moves as areas are lost to the enemy), so getting there to help is highly encouraged.

In a nutshell, that's the game.  It was a bit confusing and aimless for a little while at first, but I've found it to be far more fun than I expected once I figured things out.
There are also a couple of PvP maps if that's your thing, as well as open world PvP in the works eventually, and another patch next week which will be making some changes. {edit: and reports of a PvE story line coming eventually as well at some point}
Basically, for a sandbox game there is an impressive number of things that you can do, and if nothing suits your fancy at that moment you can simply thump and work towards some upgrades.

Their goal is to eventually have the world cover approximately 10% of the planet Earth.  A lofty goal to say the least.  And they may need it.  I love the game right now, but I can see it getting repetitive and grindy after a while.  A HUGE game world will solve a lot of that simply by the events and enemy incursions that happen.  As it stands now, the world is fairly small (to very small, depending on your outlook), so this will be an issue for a while I think.  But even so, grindy shooters feel less grindy than other types of games.  Especially when you have gliders and jetpacks. Wink

The Dev team is impressively responsive to player feedback, and are constantly making adjustments and trying different things based upon that feedback.  This is by far the best player to dev interaction I have ever witnessed in a beta.  Hands down.  Which is probably why the beta has gone on for so long.  They have literally redesigned the game mechanics twice, meaning they have essentially built the game three different times.  They're really trying to get it right.  Since open beta starts in July, they're getting to where they feel it's close.

They just sent me another set of invites, too.  So hit up my inbox with an email addy if you want to try it out.  If you take one, you will also get five invites of your own to spread around.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2013 at 1:35am by Cale »  

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #148 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 9:24am
Print Post  

-  Shroud

I KNEW y'all would come around to my way of thinking eventually.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #149 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 10:52am
Print Post  

I think what you are describing re: DDO is the problem with end game right now.  End game is too small and gets too repetitive.  Loot grind is a tough balance, especially when the loot everybody wants is only coming from a handful quests/raids.  ED XP is also a large grind that comes mainly from 3-4 quests. 

What makes DDO great is not the content though.  Most of us here have the content memorized.  What makes DDO great is the character build system.  And the combat system.  Which makes different builds and playstyles new and exciting to explore.  The content isn't the point.  The character is.  And the character can always be evolving and changing. 

Keep in mind, this comes from my perspective.  I'm not the most skilled player, nor do I play the game more than 15-20 hours per week.  So, for me, there continues to be new things to try and new options to explore for each of my characters.  It takes me a month or more after a new release to explore the content, get the gear for all my toons, and challenge myself on it from group play to solo play on EE.  When the content feels "played out" I still have other things I've been dying to try out, but haven't gotten to yet.  For example, I have yet to really explore the Druid class at all.  Let alone any of the multi-class variations.  I've also not played a Juggernaut build.  Just before the release of eGH, I was leveling a Moncher build.  It's fun and interesting in it's own way.  It can do things no other build I have has been able to do.  And requires a set of gear that I didn't have on that toon.  It's been fun getting it properly setup and seeing what it can do.

With my play time, I can easily fill weeks and months between content releases and always be interested and exploring aspects I haven't seen.  In fact, my familiarity with the quests and the combat and the mechanics allows me to fully experience the differences in the character builds.  It's a different level of fun and satisfaction.

The enjoyment you describe is that initial Wow! feeling of a new world, new mechanics, new story, etc.  You don't understand what's going on or why.  You enjoy figuring it out.  And going from 0% mastery to 75% mastery.  I like that too, but am enjoying going from 75% to 100% on a single game. 

If I get to a point where I feel like I've done 100% of what there is I want to do on DDO, I probably will move on.  But right now, I'm still enjoying the ride.      

The enhancement revamp will do one of two things:  open a whole new set of possibilities in builds and characters that were never possible and create hours of more experimentation.   Or, it will totally destroy the second best part of DDO (Behind the combat system) and ruin the game for good.  Not too much pressure there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Send TopicPrint