Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Is this more than usual? (Read 32890 times)
Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Re: Is this more than usual?
Reply #150 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 30th, 2013 at 10:52am:
I think what you are describing re: DDO is the problem with end game right now.  End game is too small and gets too repetitive.  Loot grind is a tough balance, especially when the loot everybody wants is only coming from a handful quests/raids.  ED XP is also a large grind that comes mainly from 3-4 quests. 

You just very succinctly explained why I stop playing almost every MMO I have ever played.  And I think I will probably play Neverwinter for much longer than I expect to.  The game may not be great, and the character customization may be for shit, but it has one immensely redeeming value.
I usually leave games because I get sick of the grind.  Even if I enjoy the game in a general sense, I hate grind with a passion.  I lasted longer in DDO (both periods of play - initially, and return at F2P) than I expected to, mainly because I enjoyed the game so much, but inevitably the grind is what ends it for me.
But Neverwinter, for all of it's faults, is fun to play.  The combat is decent.  It would get old quickly however, except for one thing: The Foundry.
The sheer amount of user created content that is going to exist will allow it to keep that initial Wow! feeling potentially every single time you log in.  The best part of a DDO update is running the quests for the first time, right?  By the time you consume the developers' content there will be plenty of UCG to supplement it.  There will literally be hundreds (or possibly even thousands) of "new" quests to run pretty much all the time.

So Neverwinter may not be a "great" game, but I think it will have enormous staying power because of the Foundry.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2013 at 6:43pm by Cale »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 
Send TopicPrint