Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Is this more than usual? (Read 32948 times)
Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Re: Is this more than usual?
Reply #75 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 28th, 2013 at 9:26pm:
How do you know the player base and income are decreasing?  I've not seen any published or internal reports on this. 

Honestly, they may be gaining on the bottom end but I can list off a few dozen of end game/very active players from Khyber who have left.  I'm sure everyone on the other servers can as well.  I know of at least 10 30-40 hour a week players from Helpers alone who are gone. 

He may not have proof but I think it can be inferred from some of the changes they have made and choices they have made.

There are a couple of big releases coming that could put the nails in the coffin this year.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Peechie
VoD Slasher

HellNo Kitty

Reply #76 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:19am
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Apr 28th, 2013 at 12:53pm:
When you have that happening, it usually leads to one conclusion, the City of Heroes outcome.

The final sign that Spring is here.

It hurts but I kinda like it!!! ~ Red m&m

IP Logged

Peechie
VoD Slasher

HellNo Kitty

Reply #77 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:18am:
I can list off a few dozen of end game/very active players from Khyber who have left.  I'm sure everyone on the other servers can as well.

Yes, yes I can.  I can also list off a whole bunch of "newer" players graduating to the top.  It's how most all open communities anywhere work.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #78 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Peechie wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:30am:
Yes, yes I can.  I can also list off a whole bunch of "newer" players graduating to the top.  It's how most all open communities anywhere work. 

...and there in lies the question is the Delta positive or negative.  How many new players are left to be attracted to a seven year old niche MMO?  F2P created a huge bump but how many people are there out there who play MMO's who haven't tried DDO left that are likely to get hooked.  Add that in a few weeks there will be a brand new D&D based MMO, that will draw people who are just interested in the setting. 

DDO is rarely mentioned on any of the gaming boards or sites that I follow.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:37am by Eladiun »  

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #79 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:36am:
...and there in lies the question is the Delta positive or negative.  How many new players are left to be attracted to a seven year old niche MMO?  F2P created a huge bump but how many people are there out there who play MMO's who haven't tried DDO left that are likely to get hooked.  Add that in a few weeks there will be a brand new D&D based MMO, that will draw people who are just interested in the setting. 

DDO is rarely mentioned on any of the gaming boards or sites that I follow.

Do you spend more or less time there than you do on the DDO Vault? DDO...

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #80 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Honestly, they may be gaining on the bottom end but I can list off a few dozen of end game/very active players from Khyber who have left.  I'm sure everyone on the other servers can as well.  I know of at least 10 30-40 hour a week players from Helpers alone who are gone. 

He may not have proof but I think it can be inferred from some of the changes they have made and choices they have made.

There are a couple of big releases coming that could put the nails in the coffin this year.

Sure some longer term players have moved on.

And they have all been replaced by newer players.  Just like several of them replaced founders who left.  And some guys who leave will come back after a few years.  It's cyclical.  That doesn't indicate a decline in overall server population or in mass interest in the game. 

But if you run in the end game crowd and stay with a game for a while you will occasionally notice that many of your old friends are gone.  I went though this back in 2010.  Many people I used to run with were gone.  So I found new people to run with.  The last 6 months has been similar.  Many of those folks I was running with last summer are less active or gone.  But I'm finding some long time players that I didn't get to run with as much before are really fun.  And finding some new folks getting experienced in end game that are worth hanging out with. 

The LFM panel is still packed with opportunities most nights.  3 of the 4 channels i'm in are active and offering EE runs or raids.  From this perspective, I don't see that server population is all that different.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #81 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:43am:
Do you spend more or less time there than you do on the DDO Vault? DDO...

One of these days, I'll give you a tutorial on browser tabs and new aggregators.

Quote:

IP Logged

Peechie
VoD Slasher

HellNo Kitty

Reply #82 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:36am:
...and there in lies the question is the Delta positive or negative.  How many new players are left to be attracted to a seven year old niche MMO?  F2P created a huge bump but how many people are there out there who play MMO's who haven't tried DDO left that are likely to get hooked.  Add that in a few weeks there will be a brand new D&D based MMO, that will draw people who are just interested in the setting.  DDO is rarely mentioned on any of the gaming boards or sites that I follow.

I'd say it was pretty damned even actually.  Most of the people I know who have left the game, have done so for real life issues.  A few that have left due to gaming reasons have left most of their games for the same reasons.  I know a whole shitload of people who left because "the direction the game was going" but eventually came back.  Hell, I know a whole bunch of people who've come back after 1-4 year breaks.  Remember that I poke a lot of smot and my memory reflects that but I can also name a whole bunch of people I've been playing with for 5+ years.  I'm sure Gunga could add to that list.  There also appears to be a fairly healthy crop of newbs judging from this last TR.  All in all, I haven't seen anything different happening to the community other the typical growing pains and seasonal fluxes. 

I don't know about gaming sites and such but last week I downloaded the game for a friend who'd played it a long time ago and stopped due to RL issues.  As we fired it up, another friend was dragged out of the house by his girlfriend while he kept trying to come back cuz he's been wanting to check it out.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #83 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Peechie wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:15am:
I'd say it was pretty damned even actually. 

Interesting because I talk to more than a few people who say the opposite.

Quote:

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #84 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:35am
Print Post  

The "old guard" is dying off.  Many vets have gotten bored and moved on to other activities. 

But the server is full of new players.  A new "Korthos Army" guild pops up every few months and you'll see 30-40 people online in each of those guilds.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #85 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:35am:
The "old guard" is dying off.  Many vets have gotten bored and moved on to other activities. 

But the server is full of new players.  A new "Korthos Army" guild pops up every few months and you'll see 30-40 people online in each of those guilds.

I assumed there was still a crowd at that level.  A lot of their recent decisions: XP Stones, New Vet Status, etc have obviously been aimed at that casual crowd that levels slowly.  They are trying to drag them kicking and screaming into Forgotten Realms content.

Quote:

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #86 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:44am:
They are trying to drag them kicking and screaming into Forgotten Realms content.

And failing miserably at ever turn.

If Turbine's intention is to get players interested in end-game they need to fire all involved because they suck at their jobs.  Far more people at any given time are below 20 than above.

TR is the name of the game with DDO, has been for years and continues to be.  If not for TR DDO probably wouldn't be here.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #87 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:52am:
TR is the name of the game with DDO, has been for years and continues to be.  If not for TR DDO probably wouldn't be here.

...which I find mind boggling at this point considering how much the rewards from TR'ing have been diminished by Epic Destinies.  Also, after a couple TR's and running the content over and over...the fastest XP game play style gets boring.

« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:56am by Eladiun »  

Quote:

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #88 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:07pm
Print Post  

Quote:

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #89 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:22am:

You play(ed) on Khyber, everything is both better and worse on Khyber depending on the point you are trying to make.

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #90 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:55am:
...which I find mind boggling at this point considering how much the rewards from TR'ing have been diminished by Epic Destinies. 

I'd wager at this point in time that the power-gamer is in the minority and more people are simply playing for fun than what's the most rewarding from a power standpoint.

Sure, EDs are more power than TRs but the best manner in maxing your EDs is the most mind-bogglingly dull thing in existence.  And for the most part its the only end-game LFMs you see . . . Rusted Blades . . . Impossible Demands . . . etc . . .

Boring.

And the EDs are really only useful after level 20 . . . again judging from the fact that 80% of a servers population is below level 20 that majority of the players STILL DON'T give a shit about end-game.

End-game died in DDO when Feather decided to make all the old raid-loot useless.  Only 2 raids really matter now compared to what we he pre U14.  This really fucked staying at cap.

Also, after a couple TR's and running the content over and over...the fastest XP game play style gets boring.

Then don't TR like that. 

Bravery Streak through all/most of the quests and it's not dull.  Yes it takes longer but not that much and it's a much less painful journey.  This is a game, a leisure activity, when it becomes un-fun what's the point?

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #91 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Also . . . EDs have been out for almost a year now.  Most have their EDs maxxed or good enough.   What else is there to do to get moar power?

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #92 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:10pm:
I'd wager at this point in time that the power-gamer is in the minority and more people are simply playing for fun than what's the most rewarding from a power standpoint.

Sure, EDs are more power than TRs but the best manner in maxing your EDs is the most mind-bogglingly dull thing in existence.  And for the most part its the only end-game LFMs you see . . . Rusted Blades . . . Impossible Demands . . . etc . . .

Boring.

And the EDs are really only useful after level 20 . . . again judging from the fact that 80% of a servers population is below level 20 that majority of the players STILL DON'T give a shit about end-game.

End-game died in DDO when Feather decided to make all the old raid-loot useless.  Only 2 raids really matter now compared to what we he pre U14.  This really fucked staying at cap.

Then don't TR like that. 

Bravery Streak through all/most of the quests and it's not dull.  Yes it takes longer but not that much and it's a much less painful journey.  This is a game, a leisure activity, when it becomes un-fun what's the point?

Agreed, they Feather'd end game.

I've done the every quest on elite.  It was fun but once it's checked off the list it's meh. 

I'm a meta-gamer....shrug.  Fun for me is measured differently.  Thus, why DDO lost me.  Just like I'll never understand the people who play MMO's solo who are in my opinion ruining the genre. 

Quote:

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #93 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
...which I find mind boggling at this point considering how much the rewards from TR'ing have been diminished by Epic Destinies.  Also, after a couple TR's and running the content over and over...the fastest XP game play style gets boring.

Anything that stacks will be chased, though.

When you look at how much more powerful the most super-awesome-est items in the entire game are, with just a very few exceptions, the super-grindy items aren't much better than the almost-as-good items.  Aside from weapons (which are themselves significantly diminished in significance with Epic Destinies), the "top end" gear isn't that much different from some fairly easy to get stuff.

That's actually one of the reasons why I think they really need to change the shard/seal/scroll mechanics - "leveling gear" shouldn't be that tedious to obtain.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #94 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:22am:

How many of them are still playing or are excited about the game?  Your sample might be biased.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #95 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:11pm:
Also . . . EDs have been out for almost a year now.  Most have their EDs maxxed or good enough.   What else is there to do to get moar power?

NOTpopejubal wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:15pm:
When you look at how much more powerful the most super-awesome-est items in the entire game are, with just a very few exceptions, the super-grindy items aren't much better than the almost-as-good items.  Aside from weapons (which are themselves significantly diminished in significance with Epic Destinies), the "top end" gear isn't that much different from some fairly easy to get stuff.

This was also part of what sent me off...  I have all this power.  Where to use it?  Oh, I don't really need it.  Oh, that gear's cool...but it really won't make a difference anyway. What's that leave?  Oh, I can run the same shit I have been running for three years with little pay off in the end.  We were pulling 30+ hours a week in game.  You really beat down the door after a while.

NOTpopejubal wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:15pm:
That's actually one of the reasons why I think they really need to change the shard/seal/scroll mechanics - "leveling gear" shouldn't be that tedious to obtain.

Changing Epics was what broke end game.  It wasn't perfect but it was a lot better than what they have now.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:22pm by Eladiun »  

Quote:

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #96 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:11pm:

Agreed.  Also.  How many ED's are really useful to a build?  2 or 3?  How many fate points do you really need?  If you have every destiny at level 4 and the 3-4 you actually use maxed and have 12-14 fate points.  The difference between this and having 18 fate points is somewhere between minor and not at all an issue.  It's one level on a twist, depending on your twists.  But the difference in XP needed is 10 million vs. 20 million.  I'd rather grind 12 million XP for 3 TR's to get a +3 to damage or +3 to DC's or Spell Pen than to spend my time getting 10 million ED XP so that I can have 4 -2 -1 or 3 -2 -2 on the twists instead of 3-2-1. 

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #97 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:20pm:
Changing Epics was what broke end game.  It wasn't perfect but it was a lot better than what they have now.

I'm actually fine with having a grind for end game gear.  I just think that once the gear is no longer end game gear, that grind should be reduced significantly.  I think that the big-end-rewards-list-on-third-run idea was fantastic.  For items that are in mid-level quests, but still qualify as end game gear (I'm looking at Greensteel here in particular), I don't think that the grind needs to be reduced significantly.  I think that the extra chests on Hard and Elite was a good change for Shroud.

If they had put in Shard/Seal/Scroll for the new Epics and dropped full Epic items for the legacy Epics, I'd have been happy.  It's too late for that now because of the outcry that would come from increasing grind on the existing items.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #98 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Changing Epics and making most of the raid loot worthless is what killed end-game.

On a max-ED'd toon with good gear there's pretty much nothing to do except run TOR for the 50th fucking time to NOT pull the helms you want.  i say "want" and not "need" as I've pulled shit from EE GH and my toons still hold up fine in the content.

Pre U-14s there was always something worth doing in epics or raids.  Even the older ones like VOD were worth running (less so when tomes lasted between TRs, but still owrth running).

I TR'd both my mains at the same time.  That's how much love I have for the current end-game.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #99 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:20pm:

I remember a thread that was out Pre-MoTU where in you stated that MoTU would be a flop if the cap goes up by 5 and new gear comes out and we are still wearing the same stuff from before.  The new gear had to completely supersede the old. 

I think that was wrong.  As we have seen, the new gear did invalidate the old.  It also, by association, invalidated Reavers Fate, Abbott, VoD, Hound, ToD, and E Chronoscope.  It didn't completely wipe out, but severely crippled, LoB, MA, eVoN, eDesert, eFens, ePhirlian, and eSentinels. 

That left you with running 14 quests and 1 or 2 Raids instead of 50 some quests and 10 raids.  It was a huge hit to end game appeal. 

One year later we are to 29 quests and 2 (or 3) raids.  If they did fix the old epics and let them drop completed items and use commendations to upgrade all the level 20 versions to level 23 versions that would be more end game relevant all that content could become viable again.  A fix is needed.  The gear is solid for leveling from 20-23.  It's just too much of a grind for mid level gear.  Make it match the current system and give it a progression path for upgrade and it would be a boon.   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Send TopicPrint