Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Otto's box is coming back soon (Read 8552 times)
NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Otto's box is coming back soon
Apr 25th, 2013 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?&postid=4996516#post4996516

I'm going to give Turbine my debit card immediately so that I can buy this.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: Otto's box is coming back soon
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2013 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Good.  People were turning into total assholes about trading these in game.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2013 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Zonix was buying them for 12M pp. Must've had a line of people wanting to buy them with cash.

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2013 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
I wish I had 50 bucks to load into an otto's box.

I don't however, so meh.......

and I'm super jelly of those who can afford them Wink

Terebinthia wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:26pm:
the Wayward Lobster is a retard petting zoo.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Screw Otto's Pox.  Just sell the damn stones.

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Apr 26th, 2013 at 9:41am:
Screw Otto's Pox.  Just sell the damn stones.

You realize they're going to do this as soon as never, right?

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Why sell stones when you can tack on a bunch of stuff no one wants and charge an extra $20?

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 11:30am
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Apr 26th, 2013 at 10:48am:
Why sell stones when you can tack on a bunch of stuff no one wants and charge an extra $20?

because it's an item made of pixels and costs you nothing to make (programing R&D but that's paid for). 

if you sell 1000 units at 4000 points or 5000 units at 2000 points what makes you more money on an item with a production cost of 0?

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #8 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Here's why they MIGHT release stones separately.  In this matter you can divide the player population into 3 groups:

1.  The player who can afford $50+ for fast TRing.  This player has a limit he/she is willing to spend.  Might be $50.  Might be $200.  Might be $800.  Who knows.  At any rate, they will buy as many boxes as they can up to their limit.

2.  The player who can't afford $50+ for fast TRing.  But can afford $30.  They are SOL currently. 

3.  Players who either do not spend money on TP or who do not care to spend money on buying fast TR's. 

If they released the stones separately, they would capture this range of the market that will spend, but currently cannot.  They are already getting the first group's money.  The first group will not spend less because the stones are less expensive than the boxes.  They will just buy more stones up to their cap.  Or stones + sovereign XP pots up to their cap.  Either way. 

But, by not releasing the stones separately, they are losing out on a portion of potential revenue.   I disagree that releasing the stones separately would alter the spending of the first group, though.  And I'm one of those "willing to spend $50 to speed up a TR" kinda people.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #9 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Don't forget people will buy 50% pots for this as well so lowering the price of the stones will sell more of those.

I'm just not a fan of being forced to buy a bundle of crap I don't need to get something I could use.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #10 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Pretty sure anyone who could spend $30 on a stone will spend $50 on a box if they don't have any other choice - or trade in game items to someone else who'll pay $50. Turbine is smart not to sell stones.

IP Logged

Flint
Stormreaver Piker

I'm a Halfling on the
EDGE!

Reply #11 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
cdr please read this again...

Asheras wrote on Apr 26th, 2013 at 11:31am:
Here's why they MIGHT release stones separately.  In this matter you can divide the player population into 3 groups:

1.  The player who can afford $50+ for fast TRing.  This player has a limit he/she is willing to spend.  Might be $50.  Might be $200.  Might be $800.  Who knows.  At any rate, they will buy as many boxes as they can up to their limit.

2.  The player who can't afford $50+ for fast TRing.  But can afford $30.  They are SOL currently. 

3.  Players who either do not spend money on TP or who do not care to spend money on buying fast TR's. 

If they released the stones separately, they would capture this range of the market that will spend, but currently cannot.  They are already getting the first group's money.  The first group will not spend less because the stones are less expensive than the boxes.  They will just buy more stones up to their cap.  Or stones + sovereign XP pots up to their cap.  Either way. 

But, by not releasing the stones separately, they are losing out on a portion of potential revenue.   I disagree that releasing the stones separately would alter the spending of the first group, though.  And I'm one of those "willing to spend $50 to speed up a TR" kinda people.

Yep! They are missing money they can get. Not from me right now since I am still pissed at Turbine and will be limiting my spending to them for a while. But others would buy the stone if it was sold for $30 alone.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #12 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
What Asheras and Bigjunk said. If Stainer's doing any pencilling-in for other threads, he can put me in the "Could spend $50 but won't; would spend $30 ten times over" column.

So there's another category of player; people who can afford it, but don't see it as good enough value at the current price. They will catch a proportion of those folks too, although of course not all.

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
My issue with buying the box: I bought a ton of 20% pots on sale before the box existed.  Buying more XP pots with the stone is just a waste.

1 stone + 1 50% XP pot would be a great bundle.  Get to level 8, drink the XP pot, use the stone and be level ~18.

I'm a TR junkie (25 TRs completed) and I will not purchase an Otto's Box from the DDO Store (it's too expensive).  I've traded for two of them though.
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2013 at 1:25pm by Carpone »  

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #14 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Flint wrote on Apr 26th, 2013 at 1:15pm:
cdr please read this again...

Yep! They are missing money they can get. Not from me right now since I am still pissed at Turbine and will be limiting my spending to them for a while. But others would buy the stone if it was sold for $30 alone.

They are absolutely not missing any relevant amount of money. Boxes sell like hotcakes when they go up, and then people beg for them to go back for sale when they're not. Zonixx had people begging him to find more boxes so they could give him $50 for them.

Maybe when you've saturated the market for boxes you start thinking about selling stones, but they are not anywhere near that.
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2013 at 1:50pm by cdr »  

IP Logged

Flint
Stormreaver Piker

I'm a Halfling on the
EDGE!

Reply #15 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Seems we are seeing a bunch of people who would buy the stones and xp pots without the rest of the crap in the box if it was offered that way instead of the box. I bet some would even do a double buy at $30 instead of one box at $50. It's all in options. More options is better.

People are not saying the boxes don't sell. They are saying offer a different option and you could make the SAME or MORE money.

"Who doesn't like more money?"

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #16 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Turbine obviously doesn't think they'd make more money, or they'd do it. They're incompetent in pretty much every other area, but the one thing they do have a sharp eye for is making money with f2p. Every data point is carefully tracked.

IP Logged

Flint
Stormreaver Piker

I'm a Halfling on the
EDGE!

Reply #17 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
By the way they may, in your eyes understand price points. But they fucked up compensating me for the multiple billing issue. I'm still not going to give them more of my money even with them giving me a free month. They might have been able to fleece me better if they offered me more than a month but I'm not 100% sure where my breaking point to open the wallet back up for them would be right now.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Apr 26th, 2013 at 2:04pm:
Turbine obviously doesn't think they'd make more money, or they'd do it.

Turbine Q&A and development may be feather_of_sun'd, but their marketing people have a fucking clue.   However, they don't know jack shit until they test it, which they haven't.

IP Logged

Belwaar
Shroud Slacker

Reply #19 - Apr 27th, 2013 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Hell yeah!  This means the only full TR I'll have to do from now on is the final one when I want full favor  Cool

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Apr 28th, 2013 at 2:31am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Apr 26th, 2013 at 2:18pm:
Turbine Q&A and development may be feather_of_sun'd, but their marketing people have a fucking clue.   However, they don't know jack shit until they test it, which they haven't. 

Of course they have a clue, they have smart people making detailed economic models and predictions.  They have tons of experience selling store items after becoming F2P.  They know what sells and what doesn't.  But tbh, if you think they'd make more money selling stones at $30 a pop rather than boxes at $50, you are delusional. 
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2013 at 2:32am by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #21 - Apr 28th, 2013 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Apr 28th, 2013 at 2:31am:
Of course they have a clue, they have smart people making detailed economic models and predictions.  They have tons of experience selling store items after becoming F2P.  They know what sells and what doesn't.  But tbh, if you think they'd make more money selling stones at $30 a pop rather than boxes at $50, you are delusional. 

I would spend 60$ on 2 stones a month or 50 on 1 box but not 100 for 2 boxes

edit and i buy the 50% exp pots regardless so the other junk just sits there unused.
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2013 at 8:39pm by JDollar »  

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

Jon Van Caneghem
Abbot Raider

I pee on thee

Reply #22 - May 2nd, 2013 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Who the fuck gives 50$ for otto's trash bin? with this money i get whey protein for a month. and thats going to get me pussy.
Imho ddo doesnt worth 50$ itself let alone the trash bins..

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #23 - May 2nd, 2013 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Jon Van Caneghem wrote on May 2nd, 2013 at 4:52pm:
with this money i get whey protein for a month. and thats going to get me pussy.

I'm sure your Mom will still give you pussy either way and would prefer you pay her the $50 rather than buying whey protein.  Like the rest of her customers.

IP Logged

Jon Van Caneghem
Abbot Raider

I pee on thee

Reply #24 - May 2nd, 2013 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 2nd, 2013 at 5:39pm:
I'm sure your Mom will still give you pussy either way and would prefer you pay her the $50 rather than buying whey protein.  Like the rest of her customers.

Hahahaha.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint