Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) DDO (Read 26666 times)
AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: DDO
Reply #75 - May 3rd, 2013 at 12:50am
Print Post  
Quadrovault wrote on May 2nd, 2013 at 1:32pm:
While DDO has more customization and a better combat system imo, I still haven't found any ladder I couldn't climb in NWO.

NWO is a better game.

Get back in game noob!

Personally, DDO and NWO are hard to compare, theyre so different and have a lot of different pros and cons.  However, NWO is a lot more comparable to Guild wars and I think that GW is clearly the better game.  The graphics are better, the combat is better (and even arguably better than DDO) and the customization is about the same.  Is the draw of D&D/neverwinter background that appealing for you guys?

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #76 - May 3rd, 2013 at 3:18am
Print Post  
Grace wrote on May 2nd, 2013 at 8:40pm:
Don't be ridiculous, Tere. Obviously you only have 8 juggernauts.

I am clearly too stubborn for the game, since I not only still have DC casters, I have divine DC casters Sad

IP Logged

Ewilan
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #77 - May 3rd, 2013 at 5:23am
Print Post  
nw vs ddo
graphics: better
combat: similar approach, but more real time active combat
customization: ddo wins easily. there aren't many games with the amount of possibilities ddo offers (although at this time, the "endgame" pushes players to play specific builds such as hybrids (juggers, pyrene..), monkchers & shiradi casters
player base: nw clearly has a big advantage here
questing: well, i haven't leveled much in nw but from what i've seen it's nothing "out of the box".. go kill X.., go pick Y... (so ddo is better in that aspect)
endgame: no clue
game difficulty: ddo is having huge issues with this atm, and considering how easily ppl are leveling in nw, it's got similar problems (although it's still in "beta" so we can't tell for sure)

conclusion: it's not the wow killer for sure, but it's a solid game. Give it a try for sure, and when DDO is dead, i'm guessing many players will head there

IP Logged

TheFifthSock
Dragon Raider

Reply #78 - May 3rd, 2013 at 5:43am
Print Post  
Ewilan wrote on May 3rd, 2013 at 5:23am:
nw vs ddo
customization: ddo wins easily. there aren't many games with the amount of possibilities ddo offers (although at this time, the "endgame" pushes players to play specific builds such as hybrids (juggers, pyrene..), monkchers & shiradi casters
questing: well, i haven't leveled much in nw but from what i've seen it's nothing "out of the box".. go kill X.., go pick Y... (so ddo is better in that aspect)
game difficulty: ddo is having huge issues with this atm, and considering how easily ppl are leveling in nw, it's got similar problems (although it's still in "beta" so we can't tell for sure)

conclusion: it's not the wow killer for sure, but it's a solid game. Give it a try for sure, and when DDO is dead, i'm guessing many players will head there

You might want to clarify the first two. Which has better graphics and more real time active combat?

IP Logged

Ewilan
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #79 - May 3rd, 2013 at 5:56am
Print Post  
sorry, it's nw obviously. don't think i need to explain graphic wise ^^
and concerning the real time active combat, nw has some tera aspects.. where you can block in real time (for a certain amount of time.. more realitisc than tera too).. and it's less "take X percentage less damage" like DDO has. the only place where ddo tried to implement "real time blocking" is in LOB, to block the stun special attack, but you can avoid this in many ways...
There are also many dodge options in nw from what i've seen, especially the rogue trickster abilities.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #80 - May 3rd, 2013 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
I'll likely D/L and try NW simply because it's free to do so. I find myself logging in and standing on the boat while I do other stuff on my second monitor more than I run quests. I'll check to see which guildies logged in, and maybe glance at the LFM panel to see if there's anything going on.

I guess I could also start playing GW2 again.

IP Logged

Kalari
Stormreaver Piker

Drama Ho!

Reply #81 - May 3rd, 2013 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Im playing Dragon prophet or trying to they are in beta and falling threw the ground is pissing me off. I will take it out on guild..er mobs later on tonight during raid night Smiley

It's not my fault you were born one gigantic asshole..

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #82 - May 3rd, 2013 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Ewilan wrote on May 3rd, 2013 at 5:23am:
nw vs ddo

Ran around on Dragon (Toon name Asheras) for a few hours.

Graphics:  Better?  I agree as far as scenery and cut scenes, but the overall character and mob graphics don't really feel all that more awesome.  It looks very much like Dragon Age to me.  Which is OK, but not a huge selling point, imo.

Combat: Meh.  I was low level, but still, very limited in terms of options.  I had an at-will power, an encounter power, and a daily power and that's about it.  I only had 3 places to slot things from inventory to use (potions and such). 

Customization:  To say DDO wins is a massive understatement.  Race means nothing.  It's 90% flavor.  You get small  benefits that do not really matter.  In fact, starting stats don't seem to matter all that much.  You have 4 classes (fighter has two options). 

Great Weapon fighter - THF Fighter.  Pure DPS.  Almost no defense.  Can't TWF, as far as I can tell. 
Guardian Fighter - S&B Fighter.  Stalwart Defender basically.  Moderate DPS.  Decent protection from physical damage. 
Rogue - A TWF skirmisher.  Typical Rogue stuff.
Cleric - Heals and some offensive powers.  Very few options.
Control Wizard - Some DPS powers, some debuffs, and some CC. 

Customization just...there isn't any.

The spell/power selection is so small.  In comparison with the traditional D&D.  There is no concept of limiting spell points or spells per day.  Everything either is spammable(At-will), recharges on timers (encounter powers) or based on charges being built up by clickies (Much like how the ED fey favor, Blitz, ardor, EiN stuff works) (daily powers).  A caster never runs out of mana. 

In fact, it's so far from traditional D&D that it doesn't even feel like D&D.  Part of that is the 4e stuff, part is the MMO.  You start with hundreds of HP at level 1.  You deal way more damage than you should.  There are no saving throws.  There's no insta-death spells.  It feels like playing a fantasy MMO/console game.  It doesn't feel like D&D at all, besides the Neverwinter setting.

Side Note:  I ran 3 FoT's and 1 CiTW in the last 2 days.  We never had more than 1 monkcher and Jugg in the party in any of the runs.  The idea that everyone is running FoTM builds is bullshit.  There is customization.  Play NW for a while and see how it feels.

Questing:  So far, very linear.  Haven't run any skrimishes or dungeon delves yet.  They literally give you a glowing path on the floor to follow.  And, sadly, you deviate from it, there is no where to go or nothing to do.  And I haven't seen an optional or "wrong path" you can take in any of the quests yet.  Maybe a collectible here or there in a corner.  That's about it.  But, then, starter quests generally are "meh".  Funny, though.  I didn't feel that way about DDO.  I loved my first ever run through Low Road and Goodblades and Kobold's Ringleader.  And I got my ass kicked.  Repeatedly.  This game, I've not died yet.  And I legitimately suck at the controls so far. 

Game Difficulty:  NW has none.  There is no difficulty level that you can choose.  You step in and you pwn shit.  I have crap gear, no skill, and a low level toon and I didn't ever even get to half health.  Now, I have like 700 some HP, but still....

Conclusion:  If DDO dies, I might give it a shot.  But I'm too spoiled with DDO's character and race options and combat system.  For all it's flaws and deviations, this is still D&D.  NW isn't.

DISCLAIMER:  I only played for a few hours.  I didn't get very high level. 

IP Logged

Ewilan
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #83 - May 3rd, 2013 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
thanks for your detailed response. Yeah I agree with what you say...

And concerning DDO. It's simple to me. If you want to play an efficient toon, you don't have many options.
The efficient toon is the "answer" to a specific endgame, which at this point is all about having defenses, saves and self healing. So yes you can play any kind of toon, and you will find yourself raiding with terrible saves barbarians as well as no DPS arcane archers.. but in the end are they efficient?
The amount of possibilities in DDO is simply huge. So when you say there is customization, you are right. But if you want to play an efficient toon, you end up having to play one of the 3 types mentionned, as each provides the "neccessary" elements for endgame.

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #84 - May 3rd, 2013 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Ewilan wrote on May 3rd, 2013 at 5:47pm:
thanks for your detailed response. Yeah I agree with what you say...

And concerning DDO. It's simple to me. If you want to play an efficient toon, you don't have many options.
The efficient toon is the "answer" to a specific endgame, which at this point is all about having defenses, saves and self healing. So yes you can play any kind of toon, and you will find yourself raiding with terrible saves barbarians as well as no DPS arcane archers.. but in the end are they efficient?
The amount of possibilities in DDO is simply huge. So when you say there is customization, you are right. But if you want to play an efficient toon, you end up having to play one of the 3 types mentionned, as each provides the "neccessary" elements for endgame.

ah, but even with the three things you need (saves, self healing and defenses) you can get them in tons of different ways.

example:
shiradi sorc does this pretty well
so does pyrene
so does juggernaut
so do many monk builds

so basically you can achieve your goals in different ways, that is where the customization is at (vs having 4 classes in nwo, and all of them having almost no variation between multiple people playing the same class)

Terebinthia wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:26pm:
the Wayward Lobster is a retard petting zoo.

IP Logged

qwerty1234
Ex Member

Reply #85 - May 3rd, 2013 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Jon Van Caneghem wrote on May 1st, 2013 at 10:31pm:
After all those years playing ddo i feel anal raped but the wound is closing now thanks to neverwinter.

That would explain why you're so full of shit.

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #86 - May 3rd, 2013 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Kalari's response is about what I saw for the brief time I tried NWO at PAX. It was something I'll probably download and toy with at some point just because it's completely free, but I'll never spend money on it or sink much time into it at all.

JDollar wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 5:25pm:
she's Kmack's property

Quote:
You're obviously important to the community.  And not just because your skin is so supple and soft and smells like honeysuckle and friendship.

JDollar wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:15am:
To put in DnD terms Grace is a CR 60 EE Ball Busting Bitch

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #87 - May 4th, 2013 at 4:08am
Print Post  
I played it for a few hours yesterday on Dragon, played a cleric to level 9. What I found jarring is the lack of variety in what you can do.. I can spam two ranged light attacks, and have 3 encounter skills that recharge, currently a light attack, a light based AOE and a heal over time effect, which keeps you alive but isnt that powerful. From what I can see there is little customisation in the skill point spend because you have to max out your abilities to unlock higher level stuff in the tree anyway. There are a few things you can do if you stray off the shiny path but it isn't obvious. The quests are basically go into x instance kill y mobs sort of thing. There is crafting and I have collected a few ingredients while questing but o idea how you do it yet.

Has anyone worked out grouping? I was thinking of using it as a common game for one of my long term running partners who left DDO quite recently.

Summary, its fun enough but quite limited. No character customisation really. Feels far more like GW2 than D and D to me, and in an open world MMO GW2 has more going for it I think. It is completely free to try though and only a 3 gig download so you may as well make up your own minds Smiley

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #88 - May 4th, 2013 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
i was gonna sign up, but someone took my display name.

oh well.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #89 - May 4th, 2013 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 3rd, 2013 at 4:38pm:
In fact, it's so far from traditional D&D that it doesn't even feel like D&D.  Part of that is the 4e stuff, part is the MMO.  You start with hundreds of HP at level 1.  You deal way more damage than you should.  There are no saving throws.  There's no insta-death spells.  It feels like playing a fantasy MMO/console game.  It doesn't feel like D&D at all, besides the Neverwinter setting.

If by "traditional" you mean pre-4e, then sure.  But it follows 4e pretty damned closely, which makes it absolutely DnD, through and through.  The difference in HP and damage dealt is simply a magnification of the usual, so they can cater to the MMO crowd more easily.

Terebinthia wrote on May 4th, 2013 at 4:08am:
I played it for a few hours yesterday on Dragon, played a cleric to level 9.

Level 10 is when things begin to change a little.
That's when you get your special ability.  Rogues get stealth, wizards get arcane mastery, and clerics get divinity.
Of those three, divinity is the coolest IMO.  Every single skill you have, at wills included, change functionality to some degree under divinity.
Also, as you gain more levels you get more choices in encounter and daily powers, as well as at least one other choice for at will.  Then there are paragon paths later. Right now there is only one for each class, but there will be three for each in time.  Think prestige class.  So things start to open up eventually.  I'm not saying that character customization is elaborate or anything, but you do get some.

Terebinthia wrote on May 4th, 2013 at 4:08am:
Has anyone worked out grouping? I was thinking of using it as a common game for one of my long term running partners who left DDO quite recently.

Interact with someone (F by default I think, but I remapped so I can't say for certain) and you'll see a list of choices, such as adding friends, inviting to party, etc.
You can also do all of that and more (such as search by name) in the social tab.
Getting people on friends list seems to be the easiest way to handle starting a group though.

And just for the record, some of the Foundry quests are pretty damned good.  I think my expectation that the Foundry keeping this alive will turn out to be true.
I'll say it again.  This isn't a great game, but it isn't terrible either.
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2013 at 2:20pm by Cale »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #90 - May 4th, 2013 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on May 4th, 2013 at 2:14pm:
If by "traditional" you mean pre-4e, then sure.  But it follows 4e pretty damned closely, which makes it absolutely DnD, through and through. 

This would be a benefit if, you know, 4e didn't totally suck.  I know I'm over 40 and all and was raised on 1st and 2nd edition, but no one I know who still plays PnP plays 4e.  Most tried it and reverted back to 3.  Most sooner than later.   

IP Logged

Jon Van Caneghem
Abbot Raider

I pee on thee

Reply #91 - May 4th, 2013 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
My trickster rogue has something to say to fernando
Face to face , ass to mouth.

IP Logged

Jon Van Caneghem
Abbot Raider

I pee on thee

Reply #92 - May 5th, 2013 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Btw have you guys tried any foundry quests yet? there are some really great like the laanar family legacy campaing and the planescape skeleton key.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #93 - May 5th, 2013 at 7:59am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 4th, 2013 at 7:23pm:
This would be a benefit if, you know, 4e didn't totally suck.  I know I'm over 40 and all and was raised on 1st and 2nd edition, but no one I know who still plays PnP plays 4e.  Most tried it and reverted back to 3.  Most sooner than later.   

Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with the sentiment.  I was just pointing out that it follows the license it had/has pretty well.

Check out Next.  It's not bad.  It has taken a little while because they've been releasing stuff for testing slowly, in small chunks, but I'm starting to like it.  I already like it better than 3.x because it *feels* more like 2e.
edit: I guess I should say that it looks on paper and plays much like 3.x did, but the feeling while playing it is more reminiscent of 2e than 3.x ever was.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2013 at 8:45am by Cale »  

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #94 - May 5th, 2013 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Jon Van Caneghem wrote on May 4th, 2013 at 11:57pm:

You really need to stop watching human centipede movies...

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #95 - May 5th, 2013 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on May 3rd, 2013 at 12:50am:
Is the draw of D&D/neverwinter background that appealing for you guys? 

As I've said in other threads, the draw for me is the Foundry.
I've found some really good quest lines there, and it's less than a week into open beta.
Some of the quests are just more hack n slash MMO junk, but some of them are really well told stories.  I've already found three people that I've subscribed to because their stuff is good enough that I don't want to miss any of it.
If anyone is looking for some good old fashioned DnD story telling, the Foundry is the place to look.  And that, as I've said before, is what is going to give this game legs.

IP Logged

Felgor
Shroud Slacker

Go Fuck Yourself

Reply #96 - May 5th, 2013 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Luxgolg wrote on May 2nd, 2013 at 9:17am:
Right...and capping out in a week or less is really fun too...

This isn't really a valid point, in comparison to DDO. People cap TR2's in a week.

As a Guardian Fighter, I don't have any issues with standing still to attack (each attacks lunges forward if the target is not right next to you anyway) and every time a press a hotkey...it works. Holy shit!

Character builds need more customization for sure, there is no choice of what abilities to take so far, by 20 they all end up with 2 ranks, only the order you take them in will differ.

Despite that, I am really enjoying it. Probably because it is so different to DDO. Everything in the store is convenience and the main story quests are fun.

Lag...I don't need to fight it.

I just have more fun in NWO right now than I have in DDO for a long time. Simple as that.

Proud Leader & official Gimp of Crimson Eagles on Khyber
Angryscrews Wiz 20 - Felgor WF FvS 20 - Brelgor Fighter 18/1/1 - Flavoursome TR1 Sorc 18 - Splatsplat 18/2 DoSIII

IP Logged

Crunch ButtSteak
Stormreaver Piker

Fer teh lolz

Reply #97 - May 6th, 2013 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Jon Van Caneghem wrote on May 4th, 2013 at 11:57pm:
My trickster rogue has something to say to http://www.ddovault.com/Images/Fernando4.png

Aw, hell no.  You NEVER go ass to mouth...

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #98 - May 6th, 2013 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Crunch ButtSteak wrote on May 6th, 2013 at 12:01am:
Aw, hell no.  You NEVER go ass to mouth...

He goes FULL Retard so why not?

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #99 - May 6th, 2013 at 3:26am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on May 6th, 2013 at 12:18am:
He goes FULL Retard so why not?

bcoz crunch has the monopoly to that?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5