Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic TERA (Read 228 times)
Ewilan
Waterworks Kobold

TERA
May 6th, 2013 at 11:06am
Print Post  
The Exiled Realm of Arborea.

Been playing casually for a few weeks now, and it's really been fun. My main is a level 40 priest (cap at 60) but gonna roll a lowbie if you wanna try it as well (Fraya PVE server).

Graphics are good, it's the most action-combat MMO I've ever played, very active (too much sometimes, ppl will talk in different languages when I specifically chose a PVE English server), lots of different classes & races.
Customization is mainly through gear and playstyle.
The only downsides I can see are that you see a lot of flesh (not so much of an issue for horny desperate gamers) and the fact it can be a bit repetitive at times (but knowing the gameplay is very interesting, that hasn't troubled me much.. and I just skip quests I judge boring).

Leveling is very interesting because you get to do "dungeons" very early on (5 man quests that look like raids, with great gear drops and XP). The first is at around 20, then every 5 level, and you have like 15 of these at 60.

There are also BAMs (Big Ass Monsters), that you start encountering around level 20. These are basically "mini-bosses", sometimes world bosses, and often take several players to take down.

I liked to solo stuff in DDO, so gave it a try in TERA. Took me 40 min to take down one of these guys at level 20, but gave me half a level lol.

It's entirely F2P, but there's a store where you can buy cosmetic stuff, mounts, convenient stuff. Nothing like the p2w shit we are used to in DDO, nor the crazy prices for them either (i.e. 50 bucks to get half the XP required to cap..).

Last thing is the gameplay is very cool.. mouse look just like in DDO.. you can block in real time, dodge in real time (unlike DDO's take 20% less damage (AC.. DR... PRR...shield blocking...), TERA's devs found a great way to reward smart gameplay. And this shows at any level. Position, dodging, understanding monster (their abilities, their speed, their attacks, ...), using abilities and when to use them (some of them taking some time to charge.. and if you stand there charging too long you will get smashed aka oneshot so you gotta your abilities). That's what I find most interesting about it.

Any of you have tried it? Liked it?

May go back to ddo at some point, but for now, I'm playing a bit casually in TERA & BF3.

IP Logged

Jon Van Caneghem
Abbot Raider

I pee on thee

Re: TERA
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2013 at 12:43am
Print Post  
tera sucks

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2013 at 1:27am
Print Post  
I like the flesh part. Reminds me of Japanese hentai games

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
I think I'm gonna try it out in a couple weeks after real life stuff cools down.

Terebinthia wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:26pm:
the Wayward Lobster is a retard petting zoo.

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2013 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
The graphics are nice and the combat is interesting, but FFS I cannot take any more games which rely heavily on "Kill 10 Identically-skinned Monsters" or "Collect 15 Orc Testicles."

Not even ample boobies can overcome a depressingly dull questing system.

Theologians don't know nothin' about my soul

IP Logged

Jon Van Caneghem
Abbot Raider

I pee on thee

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on Jun 4th, 2013 at 12:10pm:
"Collect 15 Orc Testicles."

I loled

IP Logged

Ewilan
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #6 - Jun 12th, 2013 at 3:39am
Print Post  
I like it more and more. Haven't gone back to DDO since I started it. Even gave away my DDO account.

The "go kill X" tye of quest is really no big deal for the simple reason the gameplay is so interesting you forget about it. Very dynamic.

I moved to a pvp server so it's real fun.
Between ingame politics, GvG, Battleground, instances & nexus, the game is probably the best MMO I played.. No pay to win whatsoever, lots of players, and literaly no bugs (I have yet to find one...). Very very interesting game.

As someone who played DDO for 2 years, I always have to compare the mmos I play to DDO. And in every single aspect besides quest objectives TERA is better (mind you, you can level the way you want and ignore the "Go kill X" type quests).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint