Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How EvE is thriving 10 years later? (Read 515 times)
Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

How EvE is thriving 10 years later?
May 14th, 2013 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/14/how-eve-online-still-thrives-10-years-lat...

Interesting Article...could you see Turbine hiring three economists to monitor the in-game economy?
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2013 at 2:34pm by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Re: How EvE is thriving 10 years later?
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2013 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
I liked these parts

Quote:
Constant communication between CCP and EVE players keep both sides constantly looking for ways to improve and keep evolving EVE. This open dialogue is one of the many ways that EVE has managed to stay relevant despite being released nearly a decade ago. Through this series of evolutions, EVE has been constantly improving and continuing to build on what made it relevant to fans in the first place.

and

Quote:
Since then, they've realized that their players don't like unnecessary change and have learned to innovate without making core alterations to the game. This also has a good amount to do with the number of CCP employees who play EVE on a regular basis in their free time and know what changes they would or wouldn't like to be made to the game.

If only Turbine wasn't so awful.

And to answer your question, I don't think Turbine would never hire economists, at least not to oversee the in-game economy. The gameplay in EVE is way too different to compare it to anything Turbine has made. Instead Turbine will hire marketeers and Zynga people to make their micro transaction stuff work for them, not the players.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #2 - May 14th, 2013 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Since then, they've realized that their players don't like unnecessary change and have learned to innovate without making core alterations to the game. This also has a good amount to do with the number of CCP employees who play EVE on a regular basis in their free time and know what changes they would or wouldn't like to be made to the game.

This is important.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2013 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
How much has EVE actually changed since its release.  From what I know of the game, there are not quests ect, its just a sandbox game.  Everynow and then you need to add new toys to the sand box (bigger ships, guns ect) but not new content.  So outside of balance of new weapons, what more do they do that would be messed up>?

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2013 at 3:48pm
Print Post  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #5 - May 14th, 2013 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
That is a lot of expansions.

The real test of a true MMO is how fucking obnoxious are their forums?

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #6 - May 14th, 2013 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
There are quests in the game. How about you play it before you make random assumptions?
That being said, quests are not necessary. They provide with you a way to get the federation/alliance/whateverthebiggroupisthatcontrols1.through.4space space ships. They come with a few different tweaks then the player made ones. I wouldn't necessarily say better, I wouldn't say anyone goes for them, but they are there.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

whothefuckami
Stormreaver Piker

Oppan Gangnam Style

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2013 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
livefreeordie wrote on May 14th, 2013 at 3:37pm:
How much has EVE actually changed since its release.  From what I know of the game, there are not quests ect, its just a sandbox game.  Everynow and then you need to add new toys to the sand box (bigger ships, guns ect) but not new content.  So outside of balance of new weapons, what more do they do that would be messed up>?

'Content' in DDO means new monsters, new quests, new stories etc.

'Content' in EVE means new ways for players to interact with each other to make their own stories.

In terms of DDO-style content EVE has added in the last few years, there's been Incursions (which are somewhat like raids in other games, but with a distinct competitive feel to them - you can go into "another group's raid" and compete with them to do the most damage to the enemies, and only the more successful group gets anything. Or you can shoot them up instead, which happens less than you might think.

There's also been wormholes which are dangerous space that have mechanics that make it hard to bring in the larger ships in numbers, leading to small to medium size group PVP, and there's factional warfare which promotes 1v1, 2v1 and similar size fights.

But EVE's gameplay isn't about 'lets kill new combinations of NPCs', it's 'lets design new traps to fuck over other players while dodging their traps for us'.

As for balance changes - because of the competitive nature of the game, quite small changes have massive impacts. One module was added, the Ancillary Shield Booster, that totally reshaped small gang PVP (10 or less people) and led to people using ships that were not considered viable previously.

Troll account, please ignore

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2013 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Basically, it's a big PvP fest.

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #9 - May 25th, 2013 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on May 14th, 2013 at 2:33pm:
could you see Turbine hiring three economists to monitor the in-game economy?

Depends... do you consider the pay store or the Shart Exchange to be a part of the in-game economy? If so, then yes - I think that Turbine/WB has at least three accountants working on new ways to bilk the players out of cash.

If you just mean plat and how players spend it, I think Turbine has shown themselves to be fairly apathetic on that count.

As for EVE, I tried it a while back and just couldn't get the rhythm of it. Plus, it just felt like a huge, uphill struggle to be on the same level as folks who've been playing it for years and years. I dug the setting - but the gameplay and the community was a nut I just couldn't crack. Gave up after about two months of what felt like frustration.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2013 at 9:03pm by Memnir »  

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #10 - May 26th, 2013 at 1:02am
Print Post  
Memnir wrote on May 25th, 2013 at 8:57pm:
As for EVE, I tried it a while back and just couldn't get the rhythm of it. Plus, it just felt like a huge, uphill struggle to be on the same level as folks who've been playing it for years and years. I dug the setting - but the gameplay and the community was a nut I just couldn't crack. Gave up after about two months of what felt like frustration.

this is my opinion of eve as well. Thats why i like trying new games, its much better to get in on the ground floor. one o the things that keeps me playing ddo is that I am a have and not a have not relatively known in the game a big ish in a small pond, it appeals to my vanity, the same way playing a massive game like eve does not for those reasons even though the game and concept looks so cool

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

Peechie
VoD Slasher

HellNo Kitty

Reply #11 - May 26th, 2013 at 1:34am
Print Post  
I know long time Eve players.  I sat and "listened" to a 2 hour Corporation finance meeting tonite.  I had to assure other people in the room that it really was a game.  I'm not sure they believed me  Undecided

It hurts but I kinda like it!!! ~ Red m&m

IP Logged

whothefuckami
Stormreaver Piker

Oppan Gangnam Style

Reply #12 - Aug 21st, 2013 at 2:13am
Print Post  
Peechie wrote on May 26th, 2013 at 1:34am:
I know long time Eve players.  I sat and "listened" to a 2 hour Corporation finance meeting tonite.  I had to assure other people in the room that it really was a game.  I'm not sure they believed me  Undecided

It gets like that sometimes.

Troll account, please ignore

IP Logged

TheKabong
Waterworks Kobold

Rats live on no evil star.
. .

Reply #13 - Dec 27th, 2013 at 2:50am
Print Post  
I played EvE for years after EQ died and I loved it. It is a sand box, but it also has quests ect. The only 'bad' thing I have to say about EvE is that it does not have a learning curve, it is more like a learning cliff. You either fight tooth and nail to get to the top, or you fall and die painfully.

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #14 - Dec 30th, 2013 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
TheKabong wrote on Dec 27th, 2013 at 2:50am:
I played EvE for years after EQ died and I loved it. It is a sand box, but it also has quests ect. The only 'bad' thing I have to say about EvE is that it does not have a learning curve, it is more like a learning cliff. You either fight tooth and nail to get to the top, or you fall and die painfully.

« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2013 at 7:05pm by karatekid »  

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #15 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 1:32am
Print Post  

Necroing is encouraged around here. Juuuust don't tell diddledoo.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint