Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Secret Doors! (Read 23501 times)
Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Re: Secret Doors!
Reply #50 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Prioritization for such things that I've been involved with has been real easy. Two numbers on a 1-10 scale.

(Probability of issue) * (Impact of issue on customers) = Priority (subjective)

I figure this one is a (10) * (1) = 10, but of course everyone is going to see it differently.  Considering there are bugs in DDO that are easily in the 50's, I guess it comes down to time available - the dev thinks he (or she) can do it in a certain time, so are there any issues with similar time requirements to fix?  I'm guessing the easy fruit has been picked.

EDIT: I guess I should change that to, "... issues with similar time requirements in the dev's area of expertise..."
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2013 at 11:57am by Inkblack »  

IP Logged

qwerty1234
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
There are a few heroic quests where secret doors are required in order to complete, but I can't think of any epics where that's the case. But maybe I'm forgetting one because secret doors are so automatic?

Anyway, this doesn't seem like a big deal. It's certainly no "sit and spin" where wacky dev preferences mean I lose a second turning around every time I shrine.

IP Logged

Charononus
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Lost thread but it's set very very low on the dc scale so that anyone can find it.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Jun 29th, 2013 at 11:55am:
Prioritization for such things that I've been involved with has been real easy. Two numbers on a 1-10 scale.

I figure this one is a (10) * (1) = 10, but of course everyone is going to see it differently.  Considering there are bugs in DDO that are easily in the 50's, I guess it comes down to time available - the dev thinks he (or she) can do it in a certain time, so are there any issues with similar time requirements to fix?  I'm guessing the easy fruit has been picked.

EDIT: I guess I should change that to, "... issues with similar time requirements in the dev's area of expertise..."

Usually use (Probability of issue) *(Impact on present and future systems)* (Impact of issue on customers) = Priority (subjective) m'self, but then, I've always been big on not touching anything unless I can see a way to make it more useful overall, and more flexible in utility, hence that counter-proposal in the other place.

IP Logged

qwerty1234
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Lost thread but it's set very very low on the dc scale so that anyone can find it.

Oh right, that's the one where the door is visibly ajar, and the DM says "hey moron, go check for secret doors over there."

For some reason I wasn't thinking of that as a "secret" door. Go figure.

IP Logged

IMARANGER
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #55 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 5:28am
Print Post  
Quote:
There are a few heroic quests where secret doors are required in order to complete, but I can't think of any epics where that's the case.

Which heroic quests require detecting secret doors in order to complete?  I think you're full of shit.

OnePercenter wrote on Jan 19th, 2014 at 5:32pm:
I agree with 0bama...

OnePercenter wrote on Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:18am:
Not saying that others weren't better, just that quantity does not always indicate quality...  I mean, look at my post count...

IP Logged

Charononus
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 5:50am
Print Post  
IMARANGER wrote on Jun 30th, 2013 at 5:28am:
Which heroic quests require detecting secret doors in order to complete?  I think you're full of shit.

grotto
mindsunder
claw of vulkoor
church and the cult
from the top of my head.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #57 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 8:07am
Print Post  
Quote:
grotto

DC in the minus range.... trust me I found it with a char that had -2 in Search. ( 6 Int, Half Orc )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Charononus
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 30th, 2013 at 8:07am:
DC in the minus range.... trust me I found it with a char that had -2 in Search. ( 6 Int, Half Orc )

That just means it will be extra broken when the dc formula bugs out to being
newdc=olddc * sqroot(olddc)

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Reply #59 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 30th, 2013 at 8:07am:

I bet that made role playing easy for ya!  Wink

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #60 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 10:09am
Print Post  
The first time I tried to do Information Is Key, I searched for a secret door all over the fucking place.  When the quest tells you that the door is hidden, that sounds like a secret door, right?

Fucking lever behind some barrels doesn't show up when you search for secret doors for a solid half hour... Sad

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #61 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Epoch nailed it, fix it 'within' the rules of 3.5, not make shit up as you go along.  Give the 3.5 game rights to someone that is willing to make a 3.5 game, not some bastard child of stupidity and broken dog shit.

IP Logged

qwerty1234
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Quote:
grotto
mindsunder
claw of vulkoor
church and the cult
from the top of my head.

Plus some quests that absolutely no one ever bothers with, like The Keeper's Sanctuary. Which has multiple, mandatory secret doors.

IP Logged

Charononus
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Quote:
Plus some quests that absolutely no one ever bothers with, like The Keeper's Sanctuary. Which has multiple, mandatory secret doors.

3 ish years playing and I don't think I've ever stepped into that quest.

IP Logged

qwerty1234
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 11:18am
Print Post  
You're not missing anything. The quest is hot garbage.

Good point with Claw, though. And Tower of Despair, as you noted on the other forums. If either of those will end up above a 30 DC (or whatever TS/DSD give), then that's a problem.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #65 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Jun 29th, 2013 at 11:55am:

This is risk management 101 as well.  Probability of Risk Event * Impact of Event = Risk level.  Address highest risk items first.

IP Logged

IMARANGER
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #66 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Quote:
grotto
mindsunder
claw of vulkoor
church and the cult
from the top of my head.

I stand corrected.  There are a very few of them out there.  Inferno of the Damned is probably another.

OnePercenter wrote on Jan 19th, 2014 at 5:32pm:
I agree with 0bama...

OnePercenter wrote on Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:18am:
Not saying that others weren't better, just that quantity does not always indicate quality...  I mean, look at my post count...

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #67 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
IMARANGER wrote on Jun 30th, 2013 at 6:52pm:
I stand corrected.  There are a very few of them out there.  Inferno of the Damned is probably another.

The one in inferno is pretty much no fail.  I doubt it would be affected by these changes.

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #68 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 6:14am
Print Post  
Another possible outcome that will happen;

Players can't find secret doors, they will just run past them.

All of the monsters behind the secret doors will auto-aggro you.  Surprise!!!

Dungeon Alert will begin.  Green.  Yellow!!  RED!!!!!!

Window pops up on how you can buy a secret door detection wand from the DDO store to alleviate Dungeon Alert.

Players continue to ignore the message and players just play with red dungeon alert on in all quests, until the frustration of the constant annoyance settles in, then rage quits happen.

The Secret Door Detection Wands will then be said that it lowers the amount of lag in the game, just like Dungeon Alert does and just like having Baudry's closed lessens lag.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #69 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 7:16am
Print Post  
Quote:
You're not missing anything. The quest is hot garbage.

I've run it once, on my "this time I really AM going to do all of the quests" life.  It's a very great deal of work for not much XP and exactly zero loot of note.  I mean, +1 for attempting an interesting layout, but minus several million for making it utterly unrewarding to struggle through, particularly on a non-trapper.

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #70 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 8:58am
Print Post  
They were on to something with their recent bug that allowed fast detection and fast disabling.

One of the reasons people run through traps or would rather True See secret doors or Knock doors is that it can be done instantly.

Waiting 20 seconds for a rogue to find a trap and disable it is annoying as fuck.

Scale up the speed of this as the rogue gains levels.  At cap, detection of traps/SDs, opening locks, or disabling traps should be instantaneous, or even automatic, i.e. a Capped rogue could auto spot/disable traps... make it a new ED power if they think that is slightly too OP.

if some idjit was dumb enough to make a mechanic rogue, then their speed could scale faster.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #71 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Fuck developer pet projects when players aren't asking for it *AND* it's a nerf to players.  There's got to be a player-desired feature in that developer's wheelhouse, even if it's fixing a long standing non-functional feature like Combat Archery, Tsunami or a long list of other stuff that never worked upon release.

TL;DR: Secret Door feature = WOMBAT: Waste of money, brains and time.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2013 at 10:23am by Carpone »  

IP Logged

Lurkette
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #72 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 7:31am
Print Post  
Guess I need to put points back into search on my rogues.

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #73 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Jul 2nd, 2013 at 9:48am:
WOMBAT: Waste of money, brains and time.

Best quote EVAH

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #74 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Some of the doors have overtuned DC's.  My jug couldn't find the secret on Epic Hard in Friends in Low Places. 

Max Ranks.
+20 Item
GH
decent int bonus

Search 84 = fail.

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint