Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Secret Doors! (Read 23482 times)
GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Secret Doors!
Jun 28th, 2013 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
I'm torn on this new "communicate with the players" thing.  I thought I wanted to know more about what was going on behind the scenes, but the more I learn about how Turbine thinks (and what they are spending their time on), the more I miss being blissfully ignorant.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/419401-Secret-Doors!

Secret Doors!

Hello again! There’s another change that will be visible on this week’s Lamannia game build before we’re done with implementation: the wonderful world of secret doors. As part of our work to enhance Shadar-kai, Rogue, and other “sneaky business” in game, we have been evaluating the way secret doors behave in game content at high levels.

Hidden doors and search skill become largely irrelevant at the higher levels of the game because the magic to reveal them is available at such low levels. Above level 5 to 8, you basically never end up using your spot or search skills to find hidden doors. Our quest makers place hidden doors in high level content, but if everyone can automatically see them, then those doors are not very “hidden”, in which case, what is the point of making them hidden at all?

We’ve deliberated over this for a while and there were a couple ways we could approach it. We could try just not placing hidden doors anymore. It’s faster for us to place basic doors… but then it also means there’s just physically nothing “hidden” for you to find. That seemed bad. We could nerf the instant-find spells. That also seemed bad. So we were at kind of an impasse to meet our design goals. We’ve landed on a design that we think will reward players for character advancement, encourage designers to keep hiding those doors in newer high level content, and soften any radical changes to the quests players are used to.

Here are the details of the design, and what state the design is in for Lamannia:

•We will be updating the Detect Secret Doors spell so that it scales up as your character levels up. We are still working the full design out - such as what the casting formula is specifically and which skills will influence it - and you therefore may experience odd behavior on Lamannia with the spell since the mechanic has not yet been finalized and the spell isn’t acting as it should in this build.
•True Seeing will now detect secret doors if you would have been able to find the door with a Spot & Search check of 30. We were going for a simple round number that's right around the Heroic/Epic line. True Seeing will continue to have all of its other effects, including negating Displacement, Blur and Invisibility.
•Any existing equipment that has the Detect Secret Doors spell will be set to an adjusted caster-level appropriate for Heroic content. The durations are intended to be the same as what they currently are on live.
•The Divining Rod will be set to a higher caster level so that it’ll always succeed at detecting secret doors. We'll also keep its current duration where it is.

As always you’re welcome to provide feedback on these changes, but keep in mind that the version of the changes that you’ll be seeing on Lamannia are not ready to be taken for a test drive yet. We’re looking forward to getting the design up on a future build that you can play with, and we’ll let you know once that time comes!
- PurpleFooz

IP Logged

Charononus
Ex Member

Re: Secret Doors!
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
So how many here will laugh when it breaks and new players can't get past the grotto because of this.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Quote:
So how many here will laugh when it breaks and new players can't get past the grotto because of this.

I'm in.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

LafoMamone
Waterworks Kobold

Feather of Sun's Chief
Muse

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
YESSSSSS!

Of all the stuff that's been driving me crazy in this game, such as lag, numerous bugs, unfinished/broken EDs, crappy late-game XP, dead endgame, a raidless expansion...none of them, I mean none of them have bothered me so much as the secret door dilemma. I can't even count how many nights I lay awake, worried sick about how the whole secret door issue would be handled. I hope Hendrik can get his head out of Jerry's ass long enough to see this. He will be thrilled!

But seriously, I get the feeling that they are fucking with us now. No one could possibly be this oblivious.

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Quote:

They'll totaly be able to get through the Grotto.  They'll just need to follow the link to the store that pops up when they search and fail, and buy a Divining Rod.  No sweat.

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Since my main is a rogue, I have no problem with them making rogue and rogue skills more relevant.

JDollar wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 5:25pm:
she's Kmack's property

Quote:
You're obviously important to the community.  And not just because your skin is so supple and soft and smells like honeysuckle and friendship.

JDollar wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:15am:
To put in DnD terms Grace is a CR 60 EE Ball Busting Bitch

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
I like it too.  I like the communication.  I like that they are focusing on making the game more than hack n slash max your DPS and zerg.  There are players that enjoy sneaking.  Secret doors should be....secret.  This makes the world more real.  Trivalizing traps, secret doors, sneaking, and such just narrows the game.  if I wanted a narrow hack n slash dps fest, I'd go play Neverwinter, ffs.

IP Logged

Dr_tank2vich
Puppy Farmer

I Love Darma!

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Wait! What this will do to the mushrooms in Red Fens?

"The court heard that Duffy has Asperger's syndrome and suffers with alcohol problems."

Or as we call it here: Mod status.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
bah, stupid from the begining, the easy way was to limit the spell to no more than a DC of 30 or 40, and put high DC Doors on the high level quests.... a fully developed Rogue Mechanic will have 60+ in Search.
Problem Solved.

Rogue becomes relevant again in high end content.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Reply #9 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
I can see where some people would think this is a worthwhile addition to the game.  Let's assume that it is.  Now take this feature and put it on a prioritized list of all the things Turbine could and should be putting their time into.  This should be way, way, way down the list.

So much so, that this seems like an answer in search of a question.  Unless of course the question is "Why aren't we selling any of these 'Divining Rod' things?"

IP Logged

GreyMouser
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
LafoMamone wrote on Jun 28th, 2013 at 4:42pm:
YESSSSSS!

Of all the stuff that's been driving me crazy in this game, such as lag, numerous bugs, unfinished/feather_of_sun'ed EDs, crappy late-game XP, dead endgame, a raidless expansion...none of them, I mean none of them have bothered me so much as the secret door dilemma. I can't even count how many nights I lay awake, worried sick about how the whole secret door issue would be handled. I hope Hendrik can get his head out of Jerry's ass long enough to see this. He will be thrilled!

But seriously, I get the feeling that they are fucking with us now. No one could possibly be this oblivious.

See, what you don't understand is there are multiple people that deal with stuff. Someone working on Stealth has nothing to do with the people that work on say, server performance, enhancements, loot or whatnot. Different people, different expertise. Some people are moving on, and wanted to fix their pet peeve on the way out. So things that have been lame for a while actually got looked at.
As for server/lag and all that. I still have some suspisions on a ton of that, and some of it is sadly because the engine is 10 years old. There is a ton of improvements to that kind of technology since then, and doing open heart surgery on a game --hell any live service is a very risky proposition. There is things we can do finding and fixing some of the stupid done years ago(multiple calls to things for no reason..at least no reason we can see), but some of it sadly is inherent in the system.
And we are not fucking with you. There are changes afoot, and will be made clear soon.

IP Logged

Shmuel
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
" We could nerf the instant-find spells. That also seemed bad. "

he then goes on to detail how they will be nerfing detect secret doors? lol

IP Logged

Dr_tank2vich
Puppy Farmer

I Love Darma!

Reply #12 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
GreyMouser wrote on Jun 28th, 2013 at 7:57pm:
See, what you don't understand is there are multiple people that deal with stuff. Someone working on Stealth has nothing to do with the people that work on say, server performance, enhancements, loot or whatnot. Different people, different expertise. Some people are moving on, and wanted to fix their pet peeve on the way out. So things that have been lame for a while actually got looked at.
As for server/lag and all that. I still have some suspisions on a ton of that, and some of it is sadly because the engine is 10 years old. There is a ton of improvements to that kind of technology since then, and doing open heart surgery on a game --hell any live service is a very risky proposition. There is things we can do finding and fixing some of the stupid done years ago(multiple calls to things for no reason..at least no reason we can see), but some of it sadly is inherent in the system.
And we are not fucking with you. There are changes afoot, and will be made clear soon.

I can't speak for other folks but I can appreciate that there are multiple people and teams working on multiple aspects of the game. My concern is more in the area of cross team communications. If someone comes up with a fix to their pet peeve that I don't really care about (ie secret doors) what repercussion will this have on areas on areas that do affect my game play (ie lag). This leads me to be with the "if ain't broke don't 'fix' it" crowd.

"The court heard that Duffy has Asperger's syndrome and suffers with alcohol problems."

IP Logged

LafoMamone
Waterworks Kobold

Feather of Sun's Chief
Muse

Reply #13 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
GreyMouser wrote on Jun 28th, 2013 at 7:57pm:

Oh I do understand that. However, you have to admit that as far as game mechanics are concerned, there are far more pressing issues than stealth and secret doors. And I find it hard to believe that someone who has chosen/was ordered to work on these trivial issues could do nothing more pressing.

If it's purely a pet peeve thing, well...I'd have to say that's pretty terrible. Waiting for something to become a pet peeve so that it can be put at the top of the list is not the best way to deal with things.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the way you've been communicating lately, but come on...there's gotta be something more important for EVERYONE over there to do other than fixing/adjusting/overhauling stuff that someone mentions once in a blue moon...or in the case of secret doors, not at all.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
The tears of the "moar dps iz de only way!" crowd are so very delicious.
(Now we just need Shade to pipe up with "I should be able to find em by swinging my axe at walls!")
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2013 at 8:36pm by »  

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #15 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jun 28th, 2013 at 6:52pm:
I like it too.  I like the communication.  I like that they are focusing on making the game more than hack n slash max your DPS and zerg.  There are players that enjoy sneaking.  Secret doors should be....secret.  This makes the world more real.  Trivalizing traps, secret doors, sneaking, and such just narrows the game.  if I wanted a narrow hack n slash dps fest, I'd go play Neverwinter, ffs. 

True Seeing
Divination
Level:      Clr 5, Drd 7, Knowledge 5, Sor/Wiz 6
Components:       V, S, M
Casting time:       1 standard action
Range:       Touch
Target:       Creature touched
Duration:       1 min./level
Saving Throw:      Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance:       Yes (harmless)

You confer on the subject the ability to see all things as they actually are. The subject sees through normal and magical darkness, notices secret doors hidden by magic, sees the exact locations of creatures or objects under blur or displacement effects, sees invisible creatures or objects normally, sees through illusions, and sees the true form of polymorphed, changed, or transmuted things. Further, the subject can focus its vision to see into the Ethereal Plane (but not into extradimensional spaces). The range of true seeing conferred is 120 feet.
True seeing, however, does not penetrate solid objects. It in no way confers X-ray vision or its equivalent. It does not negate concealment, including that caused by fog and the like. True seeing does not help the viewer see through mundane disguises, spot creatures who are simply hiding, or notice secret doors hidden by mundane means. In addition, the spell effects cannot be further enhanced with known magic, so one cannot use true seeing through a crystal ball or in conjunction with clairaudience/clairvoyance.
Material Component: An ointment for the eyes that costs 250 gp and is made from mushroom powder, saffron, and fat.

Why can't they just set certain secret doors to be hidden by magic? Let us be rather stereotypical for a second shall we? Dwarves would be hiding stuff mechanically, elven secret doors would most likely be magic.

Honestly, they should just be setting some hidden doors to be hidden by magic and some not. Whether their system allows this I have no idea.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

GreyMouser
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
LafoMamone wrote on Jun 28th, 2013 at 8:31pm:
Oh I do understand that. However, you have to admit that as far as game mechanics are concerned, there are far more pressing issues than stealth and secret doors. And I find it hard to believe that someone who has chosen/was ordered to work on these trivial issues could do nothing more pressing.

If it's purely a pet peeve thing, well...I'd have to say that's pretty terrible. Waiting for something to become a pet peeve so that it can be put at the top of the list is not the best way to deal with things.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the way you've been communicating lately, but come on...there's gotta be something more important for EVERYONE over there to do other than fixing/adjusting/overhauling stuff that someone mentions once in a blue moon...or in the case of secret doors, not at all.

Really? Some people left the team and didn't fix anything, they just waited for the desk to move. I'd rather the changes.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
GreyMouser wrote on Jun 28th, 2013 at 8:53pm:
Really? Some people left the team and didn't fix anything, they just waited for the desk to move. I'd rather the changes.

Think he's mostly getting at: Letting things get ignored to the point where most of us no longer even consider it part of gameplay anymore is a Bad Thing (tm).

Still, better late then never. (Though if they do go forward with that whole bit about store items being a higher total than you can get anywhere else, I gotta say that'll extend my 'vacation' a bit longer once things do settle down this end.)

IP Logged

green00_00
Butterface

DDO Vault Failure

Reply #18 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Secret doors aren't very secret when you know exactly where they are by your 3rd run through, and you just stand infront of a brick wall waiting for a good roll on a gear check.

[Color=red][Size=6][b][center]But you'll notice, not butterdick[\center][\b][\Size][\color]

Apparently I cannot figure out signatures.

IP Logged

mudfud
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 9:12pm
Print Post  

So when those leaving dev's change and fix there pet peeve, when it breaks down next update, who is going to then fix it. I can name things changed and then broke that it seems took longer to fix after being broke then the whole change took.
Leave well enough alone and fix stuff that needs fixing. Then after the stuff that needs fixing is fixed, come do stupid changes like this.

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #20 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
If this is implemented it had better be tested thoroughly.  Based on the past history, testing of code is given a score of -44 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Something like this, if it gets to live completely broken, will be almost as bad as issuing a patch that made it so people could not play the game. 

Actually, I think not being able to find secret doors at all would throw many of the marginal player base over the edge and cause them to quit.  You know, the players that want the easy button?

IP Logged

Dr_tank2vich
Puppy Farmer

I Love Darma!

Reply #21 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 9:37pm
Print Post  

From a player perspective, I'd rather have them wait for the desk to move than make changes that make the game less enjoyable.

From a management perspective, I'd rather have them wait for the desk to move than make changes that lose customers.

Of course the preferred option would be for them to make changes that improve player experience and increase customer retention.

As a coworker, I would be pissed that I'm busting my ass while they are sitting there waiting for the desk to move. This is where management would need to step in and clear the dead wood. Easier said than done, but still better than loosing customers.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2013 at 11:56pm by Dr_tank2vich »  

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #22 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
LafoMamone wrote on Jun 28th, 2013 at 8:31pm:

Just because you don't give a shit doesn't mean it's not worthwhile.  Surely you learned that in your "How Not to show your Narcissism" training.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #23 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Tank,

lose, losing
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2013 at 9:42pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Reply #24 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Jun 28th, 2013 at 9:39pm:
Just because you don't give a shit doesn't mean it's not worthwhile.  Surely you learned that in your "How Not to show your Narcissism" training.

Determining if something has any value at all is the easy part.  Evaluating risk vs reward is harder.  Weighing the value against all of the other things that may have value (i.e. prioritizing) is much harder.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint