Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Whining Monks (Read 13036 times)
OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Whining Monks
Jun 29th, 2013 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Do monk focused players whine the most?  If so, is it the players or are they right in doing so?  Just wondering as it seems I notice a lot of monk whining.  I admit it could be my perception...

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

Footgrabber
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: Whining Monks
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
They just stand out more, now that Shade isn't around to whine for the barbs.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Monk players are probably the biggest whiners, yes.  There was a time when it made sense.  Back when GS handwraps didn't exist and monks couldn't touch other melee class DPS and breaking DR was total nightmare.

Today?  With ToD rings, Alchems, Ivys, Antipode, Grave Wrappings, and the Mabar Wraps you can't complain. 

It sucks that you can't get dragon armor in outfits and the new trees kinda suck ass for unarmed combat, but Monks are still far ahead of Clerics, FvS, and Sorcs for PrE's and build options. 

Basically, they got it in their heads that they were mistreated and they bring back that attitude from long ago anytime something doesn't go their way, even though the original basis for it is long gone.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Take out the whining related to handwraps and what's left?

- touch of death nerf.
- wind stance attack speed.

there's probably others, but those are the only ones I remember the most bitching about.

The handwrap related bugs, really have gotten fucking old and annoying.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2013 at 11:29pm by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

sadface
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
it would not have anything to do with handwraps being feather_of_sun'ed from the beginning of time.

edit to add i'm to slow
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2013 at 11:30pm by sadface »  

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 6:11am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Jun 29th, 2013 at 11:28pm:
Take out the whining related to handwraps and what's left?

- touch of death nerf.
- wind stance attack speed.

Stun changes.  The autocrit -> 'helpless' thing affected monks disproportionately and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Breaking DR is still a nightmare unless you have a monk toon that's outfitted from the days when people actually regularly ran the raids you need to run to get DR-breaking wraps.  It's nigh-impossible if you can't or don't raid at all due to time constraints, and DR tends to hurt monks much more than other melees.  Addy wraps are relatively easy to obtain now at least, but silver or cold iron wraps with anything you care about are rarer than rocking-horse shit when you compare them to any other weapon type in the game.

You can't even Cannith craft decent epic DR-breakers because Turbine haven't extended the crafting system with newer prefixes/suffixes (and have no plans to) and wraps are still bugged to hell.

Add in the fact that a good set of the better ED melee abilities don't work with unarmed and it's fair to say that although monks are still "viable" for the average player, they're nowhere near as useful as they could be if the wrap issues were fixed and more of the ED's worked with unarmed.  The new enhancement tree seems to be geared towards convincing monks to use weapons rather than addressing the problems with wraps. 

I am disappoint.

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 7:34am
Print Post  
Lots of good gripes...  Any classes the monk lovers think got it worse?  Bards?  The last time I really remember someone looking for them was pre-EDs and Velah, or Axer, because MOAR buffs...  Lots of cleric gnashing now, but that is largely the Silver Flame removing Altar Boys and all...

Just TRing more until some of the enhancement crap resolves.

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 8:19am
Print Post  
OnePercenter wrote on Jun 30th, 2013 at 7:34am:
Lots of good gripes...  Any classes the monk lovers think got it worse?  Bards?  The last time I really remember someone looking for them was pre-EDs and Velah, or Axer, because MOAR buffs...  Lots of cleric gnashing now, but that is largely the Silver Flame removing Altar Boys and all...

Just TRing more until some of the enhancement crap resolves.

Oh, shit man, much as I wish they'd get their goddam act together and deal with the monk snafu's, Bards *definitely* have it worse.  They're the red-headed stepchild of DDO.  Honestly, I think the monk complaining is less down to the real gripes - or even ancient history as Ash describes - and more a lingering grievance that a few whiny bitches managed to get EiN nerfed when it didn't need one.

There was - at least until the forum train-wreck - a persistent pocket of people complaining that monks are Teh Uberz (!!), and I think we're seeing a reaction to that.

Still and all, Monks certainly aren't top-tier but they're not at the bottom of the pack either.

wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Jun 30th, 2013 at 6:11am:
You can't even Cannith craft decent epic DR-breakers because Turbine haven't extended the crafting system with newer prefixes/suffixes (and have no plans to) and wraps are still bugged to hell.

What about ml 20 metal blank holy/holy burst/anarchic burst or whatever of greater bane ?
Or something with decent prefix/suffix.. impellent of hemorraging.
Is it much worse than other weapon types, or where do you need DR breaking except quite common good.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2013 at 9:50am by Wipe »  

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jun 30th, 2013 at 9:49am:
What about ml 20 metal blank holy/holy burst/anarchic burst or whatever of greater bane ?
Is it much worse than other weapon types, or where do you need DR breaking except quite common good.

Yeah, it's much worse in my experience.  Metal-typed wraps - particularly AML20 - are harder to find than a Turbine dev in a rage-thread.  And you can't craft impellent of haemorrhaging anyway, 'cos there aren't any recipes for the good stuff.  Greater Bane has its place, for sure, but it's an absolute fucker to craft because you have to find slaying arrows of the right type, and I'm averse to crafting something that specific onto such a rare base item.

By contrast, I don't have any trouble at all finding DR breakers for weapon-wielding toons...

It's all change in the enhancement pass anyway.  Right now, light monks have it relatively easy when it comes to breaking DR, but who knows what that's gonna end up looking like.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 11:38am
Print Post  
DR seems less significant than it used to be.  It still maakes a difference, but it seems like a smaller percentage of damage dealt than it used to be.  Also, there's a much wider variety of enemies at "end game" than there was during the All Evil Outsiders era, so Greater Bane is less useful than it once was.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #11 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 11:50am
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Jun 30th, 2013 at 11:38am:
DR seems less significant than it used to be.  It still maakes a difference, but it seems like a smaller percentage of damage dealt than it used to be.  Also, there's a much wider variety of enemies at "end game" than there was during the All Evil Outsiders era, so Greater Bane is less useful than it once was.

Absolutely... but it's a fact that characters relying on large numbers of attacks at lower damage suffer much more from an inability to break DR than toons doing few attacks with big, big numbers.  I for one am not counting my chickens with regard to DR being a small factor forever  :/

IP Logged

LafoMamone
Waterworks Kobold

Feather of Sun's Chief
Muse

Reply #12 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Jun 30th, 2013 at 6:11am:
Add in the fact that a good set of the better ED melee abilities don't work with unarmed...

This is something that probably infuriates me the most. This absolute fucking bullshit decision is meant to confine monks and monk splashes to the GMoF destiny and severely restrict what handwrap users can and can't do.

Rather than trying to promote versatility and variety, they are actively trying to shoehorn certain builds into certain EDs. This was a problem with EDs from the get-go.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2013 at 12:02pm by LafoMamone »  

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #13 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jun 30th, 2013 at 9:49am:

The aml20 base metal hw are nice to craft on when you can find them and providing you've leveled your crafting.  However the extra Enhancement Bonus from the Greater Bane hasn't worked since the inception of cannith crafting.

It is old...and effing annoying....and yeah we whine....

Imagine if every weapon ingame bugged out with arti buffs or summer smoke or stopped working with your ED...the whine from non monk melees would be absolutely legen.....dary.

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
I don't have issues with DR breaking on my monk. Because I have a light monk. Suck it, dark monks.

JDollar wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 5:25pm:
she's Kmack's property

Quote:
You're obviously important to the community.  And not just because your skin is so supple and soft and smells like honeysuckle and friendship.

JDollar wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:15am:
To put in DnD terms Grace is a CR 60 EE Ball Busting Bitch

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #15 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Also, the heroic level ki abilities still leave a lot to be desired.  Until you get Improved ki on an item, you never have enough ki to make anything beyond Stunning Fist/Touch of Death viable.  It's a bit like going from 1st level spells directly to 9th level spells.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Ki finisher abilities are also pretty worthless at low and middle levels when you're soloing because you have to constantly open doors (that are only in the quest in the first place to slow down zergers).  I had a hell of a time playing a Monk the first time I tried until someone I trusted told me "Yeah, just ignore all of the ki abilities except for the +damage strikes".  When I learned to ignore 90% of what a Monk could do, I actually ended up enjoying it.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #17 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Jun 30th, 2013 at 11:50am:
Absolutely... but it's a fact that characters relying on large numbers of attacks at lower damage suffer much more from an inability to break DR than toons doing few attacks with big, big numbers.  I for one am not counting my chickens with regard to DR being a small factor forever  :/

You got good covered with ToD ring, what other DR matters ? Alright you can ( should ) make anarchic of greater outsider bane on silver blank if you run ToDs ( lol ) or Shrouds still.
For DQ, you got fury.
Persiflage wrote on Jun 30th, 2013 at 11:29am:
By contrast, I don't have any trouble at all finding DR breakers for weapon-wielding toons...

Well, unless you got Comedy mask, Fot gloves or boots, red slot in citw weapons is for devo, so it's not that easy either.
But again, that 20 good dr on some trash hardly matters anymore.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #18 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jun 30th, 2013 at 2:17pm:
You got good covered with ToD ring, what other DR matters ? Alright you can ( should ) make anarchic of greater outsider bane on silver blank if you run ToDs ( lol ) or Shrouds still.

I'd have good covered if I had a ToD ring, but I don't...  At least, not in the right place.  All my toons, pretty much, have ended up being something different to what I thought they'd be when I started  Wink  And now I can't raid due to weird, random and foreshortened playtimes and ToD's a wasteland anyway. 

Meh, I'd struggle to slot a ToD ring if I had one these days, to tell the truth.

Wipe wrote on Jun 30th, 2013 at 2:17pm:
Well, unless you got Comedy mask, Fot gloves or boots, red slot in citw weapons is for devo, so it's not that easy either.
But again, that 20 good dr on some trash hardly matters anymore.

Demons' cold iron DR (particularly EE demonweb) is a pain on  non-light monk-style toons unless you've lucked out and got AML 20 cold iron wraps to craft.  I do have them, now, but I'm talking about comparative difficulty, not absolute...  While I do have a dog in the fight, it's only one dog of many and it's too busy digesting next-door's cat to do much more than growl irritably.

I'm actually not 100% sure how I'm going to solve the DR problem when my main is back to his intended build of a monk-splashed Druid, in the event that DR becomes more of a problem again.  The way things are going, handwraps will be the least of my worries and the build won't be viable anyway by the time I have the past lives done  Wink

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Surely its the Sorcs/Wizards who complain the most?

Every week or 2 something happens which leads to whining posts about how one is now useless and everyone will roll the other.

Then a week or 2 later something comes along and everyone is switching back.

I wish I could TR that quickly. Takes me a couple of months per life at least.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #20 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
HairyO wrote on Jun 30th, 2013 at 9:01pm:
Surely its the Sorcs/Wizards who complain the most?

Every week or 2 something happens which leads to whining posts about how one is now useless and everyone will roll the other.

Then a week or 2 later something comes along and everyone is switching back.

I wish I could TR that quickly. Takes me a couple of months per life at least.

Lol.  True.  Many posts about how weak and useless they are after X change.  And yet they still continue to be the best soloing class in the game by far.

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 1:14am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jun 30th, 2013 at 11:38pm:
Lol.  True.  Many posts about how weak and useless they are after X change.  And yet they still continue to be the best soloing class in the game by far. 

I honestly struggle to keep up as to which is being nerfed and which is okay. I just assume that when I want to play one I will roll a Warforged, stick 18 in INT or 16 in CHA, and then steamroll every bit of content the game has to offer.

Until then I will continue to play 12 Con Drow and Elves and do just fine.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #22 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 7:05am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jun 30th, 2013 at 11:38pm:

The spell crit/spellpower fuckarow happened while I was getting to the end of my sorc life, and it induced a mild form of schizophrenia...  (Bear in mind, I had never played a sorc before this.)  Overnight, which happened to coincide with when I went from 18-20, my damage was cut drastically, and that's going from "with no ED" to "with maxed ED".  So yeah, big disappointment.

On the other hand, I couldn't help but notice (what with having run several lives back-to-back) that despite this, it was STILL (much) easier to steamroll content on the sorc than on... well, pretty much anything else.  Admittedly, I switched to Shiradi to farm out the tokens for my next life as DI was disappointing, but still.

Hence the schizophrenia.  On the one hand: "Boooo!  My damage sucks compared to yesterday!  You haz nerfed me and I am very disappoint!".  On the other hand "Yaaaay!  This life is a complete and utter piece of piss!  This is awesome!"

Honestly, I do get why people whine about spell nerfage, but at the same time it's hard to reconcile the "nerfed" caster situation with the state of other classes which are three times as difficult to do the same things with.  I can't even describe how much harder it was to solo the same shit on a monk-splashed cleric (never trying THAT again) compared to the sorc.

I guess it's all down to what you're used to.

As I play multiple classes, I can say that I think Wizards really *did* get the shaft with regard to DC casting (which, let's face it, is the only thing you want a Wizard for over a Sorc), but at the same time it's as nothing compared to the reaming given to Clerics attempting to do the same thing.

Overall, it's the ever-reducing number of viable playstyle options rather than weaknesses of specific classes that really frustrates me.  Being boxed in by quest design to a small subset of abilities that actually "work" is depressing in a game with such a wealth of apparent choices.

IP Logged

Turkantho
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Am I angry/annoyed that wrap based Monks get shafted with the enhpass, or that basicly every active thing from LD does not work with wraps even when it used to work (albeit with broken animations) or that Combat Brute was changed to not work with wraps from one update to another without even a hint in the patch notes ?

HELL YES

Does other classes like Bard or Paladin need more love then Monk, most probably yes.

Will I still whine ? YES

PS
I dont get the fuss about dark monks and DR, I broke every metal based DR way b4 u14 and once the AML20 bonus was discovered I had every metal based AML20 wrap I wanted within 2 maybe 3 weeks. And that was when some metal wraps did not break metal DR despite saying so in item description

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #24 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 9:06am
Print Post  
This ENH pass seems to be determined to make monks a splash-class.

But yes, they whine a hell of a lot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint