Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) DDO Oracle has updated (Read 9298 times)
notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

DDO Oracle has updated
Jul 4th, 2013 at 9:22am
Print Post  
http://www.ddoracle.com/Traffic.html

Quarterly, the logins are down 5,000 per server, 17500 to 12500.  Except for Wayfinder, it has stayed the same.

Then there is the Menace of the Underdark Chart.

http://www.ddoracle.com/images/MotU_one_year_later.jpg

Interesting tidbits.

With the 10% XP boost to Wayfinder until the end of the year, this looks like a desperation move to get traffic up on Wayfinder.   I wonder what the verdict is on January 1, 2014 when the numbers have not changed. 

If numbers from other servers drop and wayfinder goes up, then that is just robbing peter to pay paul.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2013 at 9:31am by notajedi »  

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Re: DDO Oracle has updated
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:44am
Print Post  
I wonder how "server logins per hour" is affected by the fact that DDO crashes significantly more often for me than it used to.  I don't play often (I hopped on for two hours last night for the first time in about a month) and I don't know if that's different for me than it is for most other people.  It does seem more crashy to me than it was last year.

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:47am
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:44am:
I wonder how "server logins per hour" is affected by the fact that DDO crashes significantly more often for me than it used to.  I don't play often (I hopped on for two hours last night for the first time in about a month) and I don't know if that's different for me than it is for most other people.  It does seem more crashy to me than it was last year.

I log in at least twice a day, every day, and never crash.  Rare lag.  It is all in karatekid's head...  Muhaha...

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:53am
Print Post  
It does seem more crashy to me than it was last year.

That's because more people are signing on.  [/end Chai mode]

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Bill Z Bubb wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:53am:
That's because more people are signing on.  [/end Chai mode]

Signing into other games...

Frog on all servers, but Cannith is home.

IP Logged

umeannothing
Stormreaver Piker

Wall building professional!

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:16am
Print Post  

Same thing and same play style these days. Just not worth the effort to keep logging in.  by far more crashy for me since the forum change. At first it felt like they fixed things and then a few days later crashy as fuck.

MAGA!

IP Logged

Asketes
Puppy Farmer

Perma

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Just close half or more of the servers ffs

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Asketes wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 1:21pm:
Just close half or more of the servers ffs

The server software can't handle the load.... I

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 9:22am:

Quarterly, the logins are down 5,000 per server, 17500 to 12500.  Except for Wayfinder, it has stayed the same.

Then there is the Menace of the Underdark Chart.

http://www.ddoracle.com/images/MotU_one_year_later.jpg

Interesting tidbits.

With the 10% XP boost to Wayfinder until the end of the year, this looks like a desperation move to get traffic up on Wayfinder.   I wonder what the verdict is on January 1, 2014 when the numbers have not changed. 

If numbers from other servers drop and wayfinder goes up, then that is just robbing peter to pay paul.

Dramatic, but would hold more weight if the MOTU one went back a year prior, so folks could see if it was more than a temp-spike we were coming down from.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
You can kind of get an idea of how things trended by using the wayback machine.  It's massive, about a 40% drop in 2 years time.  MOTU was really just a blip in the long term trend.  Oracle is probably the most accurate source we will ever get on server statistics. 

Also:

Least Popular Combos

Build: Mnk/Brd/Fig       # of Chars: 1

>.>

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
I wonder if there are any Mnk/Brb combos left from the two months or so that they were possible.

IP Logged

Slug
Shroud Slacker

Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 3:24pm:
I wonder if there are any Mnk/Brb combos left from the two months or so that they were possible.

I see a brb/mnk/drd, a brb/mnk/ran, and a pal/brd/ran on the same list.

IP Logged

The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Reply #12 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Dramatic, but would hold more weight if the MOTU one went back a year prior, so folks could see if it was more than a temp-spike we were coming down from.

You've been heard!

The MotU report includes a stub of the traffic before it hit.  In general, the previous year resembles the MotU year, so imagine that as the 'tail of the previous year.'   Though from a glance, the previous year appears to be about 15% higher across the board.

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
How up-to-date are the guild renown stats? My guild's average renown per character should easily have it in the top 10.

I suspect it is the total number of toons in the guild. We have about half the number which is being reported.

IP Logged

The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Reply #14 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
HairyO wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 8:48pm:
How up-to-date are the guild renown stats?

Unfortunately, the guild renown stats are frozen in time for the foreseeable future, as they were lost with the MyDDO and forum changes.  The existing reports will be left up with a note explaining the situation, (which should have already been up, but been busy with new stuff,) but new rankings cannot be calculated.

While the fix should be trivial and there is a great deal of demand, the fix would be on Turbine's side and suffice to say they already have their hands busy with other things.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #15 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 9:22am:

Quarterly, the logins are down 5,000 per server, 17500 to 12500.  .

Where are you seeing 17500 to 12500?  The charts I see at ddo oracle seem to go from 17500 at the top 3 months ago to 15000 at the top today.  The bottom is at 12500.  Still a drop of 2500, but a 14% decline is a lot different than a 30% decline. 

NWO is surely a big part of that drop.

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #16 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:27pm:
Where are you seeing 17500 to 12500?  The charts I see at ddo oracle seem to go from 17500 at the top 3 months ago to 15000 at the top today.  The bottom is at 12500.  Still a drop of 2500, but a 14% decline is a lot different than a 30% decline. 

Neverwinter sucks donkey dink once you have been through the content on one or two characters, it has no staying power. It's the type of game that you don't really want to spend money on and just run through the new content every now and then when some is added that is.

Also consider you have more new games on the horizon like archeage, ESO, wildstar FFxivARR, eqnext etc

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #17 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Silky wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:03pm:
Neverwinter sucks donkey dink once you have been through the content on one or two characters, it has no staying power. It's the type of game that you don't really want to spend money on and just run through the new content every now and then when some is added that is.

Also consider you have more new games on the horizon like archeage, ESO, wildstar FFxivARR, eqnext etc

Archeage?  Wildstar?  Come on.  Neither of those is a legit threat.  EQNext?  That's not going to be seen for 24 months. 

ESO, coming in about 9 months, is the only one of that list that would even be worth discussing.

I agree with you that NWO isn't good enough to hold attention long term.  I got bored with it after a month.  But everybody was trying it out in open Beta.  Which was right in the middle to end of the quarter in question.  As a D&D based MMO, it was the most direct hit to the fan base.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #18 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
In fact, in looking at the numbers, they don't really slide that much through early June.  The majority of the decline comes from the 1st of June to the end of June. 

I'd attribute it to NWO open beta, the enhancement Alpha terror, and the Shadowfell pre-order being underwhelming.

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #19 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:42pm:
In fact, in looking at the numbers, they don't really slide that much through early June.  The majority of the decline comes from the 1st of June to the end of June. 

I'd attribute it to NWO open beta, the enhancement Alpha terror, and the Shadowfell pre-order being underwhelming. 

School/exams too. More time studying, summer activities and the above reasons

Frog on all servers, but Cannith is home.

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #20 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:39pm:
Archeage?  Wildstar?  Come on.  Neither of those is a legit threat.  EQNext?  That's not going to be seen for 24 months. 

ESO, coming in about 9 months, is the only one of that list that would even be worth discussing.

I agree with you that NWO isn't good enough to hold attention long term.  I got bored with it after a month.  But everybody was trying it out in open Beta.  Which was right in the middle to end of the quarter in question.  As a D&D based MMO, it was the most direct hit to the fan base. 

You misunderstand my post. You are implying the drop is due to Neverwinter which I think is oversimplifying the situation.  Neverwinter isn't very DnD in my book other than the lore.

Sure some few stopped playing ddo for nevertwinter but then I think many of those that did were quickly disappointed in what neverwinter offers. Add that many peeps that have been playing long term will stop awhile to try out new games and then come back.

All those games I posted will cause the same thing to happen in that some will stop playing ddo, play those new games, get bored and come back. This isn't a new phenomenon only that there are quite few new ones coming out "soonish" and that will keep the game hopping players busy that much longer.

What is new is this suck arse enhancement pass though and what is likely to happen is many may dislike it more than they dislike those other games.

What happens then?

I am not saying Doo000oom the game will fail but will it lose a bigger than "usual" amount of player to new games?

I think that is very likely.

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 3:02pm by Silky »  

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

I will play your game Asheras
Reply #21 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 8:12am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:27pm:

What was the QTRLY chart number on April 7?  17,500

What was the QTRLY chart number on July 2? 12,500

I took the Peak beginning QTRLY number and went to the QTRLY end trough number.

Compare peak to peak, you can go 17,500 to 15,000

Compare trough to trough, you can go 15,000 to 12,500

Use whatever numbers you want to use Asheras.  I chose to use PEAK 17,500 on April 7 to most recent trough on July 2, which is 12,500 for my own nefarious purposes.  Just as you chose to say 17500 to 15000 for your own nefarious purposes.

I don't even get your queston now because you specifically say the TOP 17,500 and the bottom 12,500 in your post.  You clearly ANSWERED where the numbers came from.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2013 at 8:13am by notajedi »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Re: I will play your game Asheras
Reply #22 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Jul 6th, 2013 at 8:12am:

Use whatever numbers you want to use Asheras.  I chose to use PEAK 17,500 on April 7 to most recent trough on July 2, which is 12,500 for my own nefarious purposes.  Just as you chose to say 17500 to 15000 for your own nefarious purposes.

I don't even get your queston now because you specifically say the TOP 17,500 and the bottom 12,500 in your post.  You clearly ANSWERED where the numbers came from.

Comparing Peak on April 7th to Trough on July 2nd is poor analysis.  You are comparing an apple and an orange.

Comparing peak April 7th to Peak July 2nd and Trough April 7th to Trough July 2nd is proper analysis.  This is apples to apples. 

Your purposes may have been nefarioius. 

Mine were just trying to compare the same data points to get a more accurate picture of the decline.  A better statistical comparison would come from analyzing the mean, median, and standard deviation.  Tracking those over time would give a better gauge of the decline.  That data's not available to us, however, so going with the peak-to-peak and trough-to-trough decline is all we have available. 

Regardless of which analysis we use, activity level in DDO has been dropping at a steady rate.

IP Logged

TheFifthSock
Dragon Raider

Re: I will play your game Asheras
Reply #23 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Jul 6th, 2013 at 8:12am:

Where did you learn math? From Shade? :p

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #24 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Maths is hard!

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2