Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) DDO 2014 tribute FRQ1 Haunted Halls of Eveningstar (Read 16941 times)
GreyMouser
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: DDO 2014 tribute FRQ1 Haunted Halls of Eveningstar
Reply #25 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Glenalth wrote on Jul 11th, 2013 at 3:00pm:
The next expansion is outside of Eveningstar.

It is possible that we are locked into Cormyr for FR stuff though.

It will be higher level.
No reason to do lowbie content in FR. Korthos works fine, the Harbor is being re-vectored. If we clean up the marketplace and actually vector people correctly into the houses, that whole part of the game is done with updates.
High level, endgame is our concentration.

IP Logged

GreyMouser
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jul 12th, 2013 at 6:44pm:
I dont understand this desire to skip the low and mid levels. Turbine started this with vet4, then vet7. It didn't stop there though, stones of xp to skip 8-16(19), iconics starting at 15.

Maybe turbine will just delete levels 1 through 14, making everyone iconics. Dont worry though, they will find a way to charge you 50$ for this 'enhancement'  Wink

It is to get the population playing together.  7/15/20 are the touchpoints in player concentrations.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #27 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
GreyMouser wrote on Jul 13th, 2013 at 10:13pm:

Amen.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #28 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
GreyMouser wrote on Jul 13th, 2013 at 10:14pm:
It is to get the population playing together.  7/15/20 are the touchpoints in player concentrations.

You really think this will work?

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #29 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 11:52pm
Print Post  

Where are the raids?

Where's the loot that lasts more than one update before being out-dated?

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #30 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 5:37am
Print Post  

Where's the non random powered reliable named raid loot ?
That's the only reason to try to grind raids.

If the random lootgen is better than the named loot you fail at attracting and keeping players at 'end game. If the named raid loot has random power you fail at attracting and keeping players at end game, as the random lootgen will be better.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 8:34am
Print Post  

If you want to get the player population playing together delete dungeon scaling, change -10% death penalty from party based to individual based, delete bravery bonus and make the game harder.

When its easier to solo a quest, I cant reasonably expect folks to take the harder path for no reward. can you?

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #32 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Jul 11th, 2013 at 8:16am:
If Aaron actually made this happen, then kudos to him. DDO needs alot more FR material.  Ed Greenwood is a great source platform to launch from.

Ed will have 'last say' in anything with his name on it.  He generally adds a Right of Refusal clause, so if Turdbine screws something up, he could make them fix it.

Sadly, even Greenwood couldn't save DDO at this point.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #33 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 9:49am
Print Post  
It will be higher level.
No reason to do lowbie content in FR. Korthos works fine, the Harbor is being re-vectored. If we clean up the marketplace and actually vector people correctly into the houses, that whole part of the game is done with updates.

XP is fucked as a football bat.  Fix the bell curve of XP you have going to a nice linear line.  Some of us are still aware that level 1 and level 20 are supposed to take the same amount of time in regular D&D.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 10:04am
Print Post  

You say this, but there's no new raid.  There aren't even Tier 3 upgrades for Fall of Truth, similar to what was done in U16 for CitW.  There's no point in raising the level cap if there's no new raid.  Characters don't need to be level 28 in order to run Fall of Truth.

IP Logged

NOTdarth
Puppy Farmer

Save the Planet, Kill
Yourself

Reply #35 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Jul 14th, 2013 at 10:04am:
Characters don't need to be level 28 in order to run Fall of Truth.

Amen.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #36 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Being 28 is a negative, if anything... 25s can run level even 19 quests with only a 10% overlevel penalty, they can join just about any group that's doing higher level quests. 26+, and 28 especially, is going to be more restricted in what groups are available. It fragments the steadily declining playbase even more, and you get almost no benefit for it.
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2013 at 12:20pm by cdr »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #37 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jul 14th, 2013 at 8:34am:
If you want to get the player population playing together delete dungeon scaling, change -10% death penalty from party based to individual based, delete bravery bonus and make the game harder.

When its easier to solo a quest, I cant reasonably expect folks to take the harder path for no reward. can you?

This ^^

The No Death 'Stupid' Bonus is part of the Retarded Streak anyway.

Remove Scaling, bring back the old underlevel bonus ( +10% per lvl of the quest above the higest party member... cap at +50%, works at any difficulty )
The game will automatically become harder and people will have to group ( because nobody is going to be able to solo VON3 with a level 4 or 5 character )
That also means that you'll have to remove the level lockouts to various areas that were put in place back in the time ( like the no under LVL 10 in Gianthold.... if you want to run PoP at LVL 8 you can, at your own risk )

« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2013 at 1:59pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #38 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 1:59pm
Print Post  

It. Won't.  Work.

Bravery Bonus has seen to that already, but with the proposed changes to the XP ransack mechanic in quests it's going to become more vital than ever to not lose any XP from high-value quests.  That means No PUGs.  The only way you'll pull it off is if you're actually planning on marketing the game for a change and doing a push to get an influx of new players all at once. 

TR's are just being given more and more reason to never run with newbies.  The asinine decision to release a nerfed XP stone just to increase the number of people at a given level isn't going to change that one whit.

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #39 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Jul 14th, 2013 at 9:49am:
XP is fucked as a football bat.  Fix the bell curve of XP you have going to a nice linear line.  Some of us are still aware that level 1 and level 20 are supposed to take the same amount of time in regular D&D.

The XP curve and the XP awarded both need fixing: together, at the same time.  Farting around with adjustments to each individually is going to result - hell, has already resulted - in a chain of unintended consequences.

Seriously, the first alternative method for awarding XP in the DMG talks about 13 encounters being equal to a level.  You might consider using that notion (rather than that specific number) as a starting point, with the DDO equivalent being "quest" rather than "encounter", awarding XP for all quests at a given level accordingly; adjusted somewhat for length (that is,  the time they ACTUALLY take). 
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2013 at 2:05pm by Persiflage »  

wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #40 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
The XP on quests after the Vale and it's flagging missions is the problem.  If it were doubled or tripled on all heroic quests at level 17-18-20-20 then that would be about right. 

Here is how D&D works (and how DDO works up to level 16):
Higher level quests award more XP.

It's really that simple.

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #41 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Jul 14th, 2013 at 2:05pm:
The XP curve and the XP awarded both need fixing: together, at the same time.  Farting around with adjustments to each individually is going to result - hell, has already resulted - in a chain of unintended consequences.

Seriously, the first alternative method for awarding XP in the DMG talks about 13 encounters being equal to a level.  You might consider using that notion (rather than that specific number) as a starting point, with the DDO equivalent being "quest" rather than "encounter", awarding XP for all quests at a given level accordingly; adjusted somewhat for length (that is,  the time they ACTUALLY take). 

Close but not exactly.  Secret doors, bypassing NPC's, traps, etc all are in essence 'encounters'.   Also, each level here is broken into 5 parts.  13 encounters per 'bubble'.  Most quests can be broken down into 13 equally difficult parts to signify it as a 'bubble'.  Have quest 'chains' signify a full level if you complete them all (Catacombs, Crypts, etc).  None of what I'm suggesting is a 'good' idea, but it could work a sight better than what we have now if applied smartly.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #42 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Like I said, it's a notion to consider as a starting point if trying to overhaul XP; the point being a more-or-less even progression each level.  Right now it's an absolute mess, and the ransack mechanic is going to make it much, much worse.

Seriously, it's like watching some godawful comedy movie where the guy's cooking dinner and it catches fire, so he throws water over it, which gets into the toaster, which explodes... five minutes later when his wife walks in, he's lying mostly naked on a pile of rubble that used to be the ceiling, covered in marmalade with a broom handle up his nose. 

"I've got it all under control, dear!  Dinner in five minutes!"

(The oven timer should now ping, for comic effect).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint