Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic LotRO (Read 834 times)
Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

LotRO
Aug 2nd, 2013 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Anybody here playing Turbine's other MMO?

My younger progeny just started playing it, being a huge Rings fan,  and is looking for some assistance. Be it  just straight up advice/encouragement, monetary supplements, whatever passes for a guild in that game, etc etc etc. I'm not sure what server - I'll post that as soon as they tell me.

We're talking about a teen with a level head, willing to learn, enthusiastic about the game (so far), but just starting out and pretty much an MMO noob.

Any help with my larvae in this new digital realm would be vastly appreciated. Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2013 at 2:39pm by Memnir »  

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Re: LotRO
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2013 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Okay, well I did try it at one point......and my impression was that of a rougher uncut version of World of Warcraft set in the lord of the rings universe.

It is really not that great of an MMO.

Terebinthia wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:26pm:
the Wayward Lobster is a retard petting zoo.

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2013 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Well, depending on whether or not you're doing F2P for it, there are several things that are worth doing to make life much easier:

1. Subscribe for a month once he figures out what characters he wants to play, so that he can get the unlocks for swift travels, bags, gold cap, riding skill at 20, traits, and a gazillion other things. Otherwise, you need to buy them one at a time at a monstrously higher price. Missing trait slots in LOTRO is like leveling in DDO without being able to take feats.

2. Ignore crafting unless he's really into it. It is extremely grindy, with relatively poor rewards unless you dump resources into it, and easily outclassed at endgame by instance loot and faction loot (not even raid loot).

3. Get buffbars, Palantir, and other mods (to flavor). The LOTRO interface has some serious drawbacks, and these help make it liveable.

4. Be careful about what classes to play, unless you don't mind being on a low priority list at endgame. This is only a concern if he really intends to get there and run endgame content, but some classes are more desired than others. Minstrels, Champs, Guards, LMs, and Cappies all tend to be more in demand than Hunters, Wardens, and DPS-attuned Runekeepers.

5. If unlocking content zone by zone, the best leveling path heads through Evendim, followed by Angmar, followed by Eregion. After that, you pretty much have to level through Moria and the other expansions. It can get pretty pricy.

That all being said, I came to a similar conclusion as Kierg. The lore kept me at it for awhile, but in the end LOTRO is a grindy, repetitive game. You should hold off on investment in it until you absolutely have to and he's convinced that he wants to play more.

Theologians don't know nothin' about my soul

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2013 at 2:00am
Print Post  
I keep Lotro on my system and play completely F2P. It is fine to do that if you just want to be a tourist and look at the pretty scenery, since you can get to the areas you haven't paid for and do kills in them - you just don't do the quests. I bought Evendim on deep discount and Misty Mountains for some reason (less recommended). I don't really worry about capping or end game  though.

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2013 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
My larvae passes along many thanks and gratitude for the tips. Smiley

Not too sure how long they'll be playing LotRO, they shot me a pained glance when after complaining about the constant need to grind I said, "Welcome to a Turbine game"... but for now, it's their game du jour and all help is awesome.

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2013 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
A follow-up comment related to grinding: no grind mechanism in an MMO has ever made me want to strangle a puppy quite as much as virtue grinding.

*twitch*

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2013 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Not sure how it's now or on other servers but when I tried Lotro year or two ago, it was like singleplayer game with some npcs.
Met like 5 people on my way to cap and don't think I even heard anyone on voice chat, DDO is CROWDED in comparison. I suppose might be better if you have some friends to start with and do instances and stuff.
And gameplay actually made me return to DDO.

IP Logged

whothefuckami
Stormreaver Piker

Oppan Gangnam Style

Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2013 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Tried it also.

The virtue grind killed any interest I had in the game.

To put it in DDO terms, think of it this way:

- You have to buy each feat slot in the DDO store unless you have ever been VIP. (One month VIP is mandatory to play this game).
- Once you buy the feat slot, you have to 'earn' your feat by doing large numbers of 'kill 360 rats' type quests. Yes they are mostly 360 (the numbers are lower than that in low level areas). That just levels up your virtue by one point, and they cap at level 12 (or did when I quit, might be higher now)
- You can also clear out entire zones questing as an alternative to the kill option, but doing this you will outlevel each zone before you have the required 75-80% quest completion rate. Ever run quests massively overlevel in an MMO before? It is not fun.

Basically it's 'grind easy shit until your asshole bleeds'.

Troll account, please ignore

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #8 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 1:00am
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on Aug 2nd, 2013 at 8:15pm:
Well, depending on whether or not you're doing F2P for it, there are several things that are worth doing to make life much easier:

1. Subscribe for a month once he figures out what characters he wants to play, so that he can get the unlocks for swift travels, bags, gold cap, riding skill at 20, traits, and a gazillion other things. Otherwise, you need to buy them one at a time at a monstrously higher price. Missing trait slots in LOTRO is like leveling in DDO without being able to take feats.

Is there a DDO-equivalent of server grinding for favor in LotRO?

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #9 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 11:23am
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Aug 22nd, 2013 at 1:00am:
Is there a DDO-equivalent of server grinding for favor in LotRO?

You get TP from completing deeds on all characters, without regard to server. And the good news is that TP awards are more generous in LOTRO than in DDO. The bad news is that you still need to sub for one month to get all those quality of life things that make playing LOTRO tolerable.

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #10 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on Aug 22nd, 2013 at 11:23am:
You get TP from completing deeds on all characters, without regard to server. And the good news is that TP awards are more generous in LOTRO than in DDO. The bad news is that you still need to sub for one month to get all those quality of life things that make playing LOTRO tolerable.

Tolerable similar to a Premium upgrade from F2P for DDO? Like an AH posting increase (can do without but helps with plat accumulation)? Or does it become progression limiting without the sub?
Thanks.

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #11 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Aug 22nd, 2013 at 7:04pm:
Tolerable similar to a Premium upgrade from F2P for DDO? Like an AH posting increase (can do without but helps with plat accumulation)? Or does it become progression limiting without the sub?
Thanks.

Seriously progression limiting. A one month sub unlocks all your trait and virtue slots permanently, whereas you'd have to pay for each of them individually. It's like the equivalent of being forced to pay for feats in DDO.

Other stuff is more convenience-oriented, but in my mind no less essential. The riding skill at level 20, swift travel unlocks, extra bags, no gold cap, etc.

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #12 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Mem, I thought I answered this on my cell one afternoon, but apparently that whole ADD thing...

Biggest complaint from my 13 yr old was the grind.  He played DDO and understood grinding is an MMO thing from the onset.  It took him two days to hate LotRO... he didn't even make it to the P2W issues.

The 360 rat kills in the post above is a very accurate gauge of the "feel".

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
So the introductory video for this Coursera course told me to download lotro and make a toon Cheesy

FOR EDUCATION!

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #14 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
I went to college WAY too long ago.  Angry

Crappy game but still.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2013 at 1:15pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
So what the hell is this Happy Cloud thing and how the fuck do I download the game without it Huh

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Steam it is! Cheesy

Oh and why can't I edit posts? Huh

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #17 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Is that what they use now to replace Pando?

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #18 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
sweez wrote on Sep 10th, 2013 at 1:10pm:
So the introductory video for this Coursera course told me to download lotro and make a toon Cheesy

FOR EDUCATION!

Holy shit, Al Franken teaches college now?!?!?

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #19 - Sep 16th, 2013 at 12:48am
Print Post  
Memnir wrote on Aug 2nd, 2013 at 2:37pm:
Anybody here playing Turbine's other MMO?

Any help with my larvae in this new digital realm would be vastly appreciated. Smiley

Do you want them to continue to play it? If not, have them do the hobbit quests. Pie deliveries was my task during alpha testing and it pretty much sucked. I hated the interface, bad quests, and the camping of sites for kills. Then, the stuff started to creep into DDO sealing that fate for me as well.

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #20 - Sep 16th, 2013 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Well that was disappointing. I know I spent 2-3 weeks playing LOTRO a year ago. Now those toons are gone. I checked every server. Nothing Sad

Frog on all servers, but Cannith is home.

IP Logged

wumpus
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Dec 16th, 2013 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Latest LOTRO deal is a free 14-day VIP trial (note you need to manually cancel to avoid auto-billing.  You also have to trust Turbine with your credit card again.  So maybe "hopefully free" would be more accurate).

For those of you unfamiliar with the differences between DDO and LOTRO costs, this is pretty big news for cheapskates who play LOTRO (and haven't sprung for VIP yet).  To put it simply, premium doesn't buy you much in LOTRO: you have to have logged your character in sometime as a VIP (I'm pretty sure it is mentioned above).  Once you do that, you get:

Fast Travel (LOTRO teleportation service.  Remember that LOTRO is a landscape game where you have to virtually move your character around for each quest.   Fast travel is critical and this can't be bought with TP).
5 Inventory bags:  LOTRO doesn't have any coin lords: you either buy your bags with TP, go VIP (once...), or do without.
Unlocked gold cap:  Unlike DDO, LOTRO characters never outgrow their gold cap through leveling.  You either live with it, bump it up to 5 Gold as premium (gold is somewhat valuable in LOTRO), or get rid of it through VIP or ~350TP.
Unlocked virtues:  While this is an invitation to grind (see above posts), it is pretty much expected for raiding and charged per character (expensive with alts) otherwise.
If you are level 20+ you can get riding skill as a quest reward (note that while horses can be bought in-game, you need "riding skill" that has to be bought with real money (or this deal), and those 95 TP add up with a few alts.
[you also get premium out of this deal.  It gets you only one character slot (Moria, part of the quad pack includes two more).  It lets you mail gold (although they just added "bags of gold" at the vendors, so you have ways around this while f2p) and a few other required things.  I'm pretty sure premium helps, but mainly expect to shell out real money shortly after hitting 30th (out of 90) level.]

For LOTRO players already starting out, it is a great deal.  For everybody else, it is basically $15 off the minimum price of LOTRO.  Note that they recently had the quad pack (all the expansions save the most recent) at half off instead of the usual $40 (black friday), so I'd probably included that as the rest of the "required" costs.  Throw in the mithril edition* ($20) if you aren't into deeds and have a bunch of TP to spare.

* http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W2777
(This shows up for $10 a few times a year.  It missed Black Friday so I assume it is due for a sale sooner or later).

IP Logged

wumpus
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Haven't logged in DDO in forever, so I don't know how it compares.

Dwarrowdelf (a LOTRO server), is dead.  I assumed it was a relatively lively server a year or so ago (and didn't notice any lack of hobbits and dwarves), but it sure is dead now.  Went to pay the rent on housing (you can pay 6 months in advance, Turbine hasn't quite gone all farmville on us).  Saw *2* characters in Bree (a lowbie hub), none in Michel Delving (the Shire hub).

Didn't bother with any other servers.  But I'm guessing the lotro forums "DoooOOOoooM" posts are finally accurate.  This is also seriously bad news for Turbine.  DDO is supposed to make (some) money.  LOTRO is what made most of the money the last several years (and got the development "love", which generally consisted of junk for the store).

Hopefully both games are good enough to handle maintenance mode (LOTRO has announced that there will be no updates for at least a year).  In DDO's case, I honestly think that would be an improvement (but understand they could have destroyed in the last couple of years).

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #23 - Apr 5th, 2014 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
wumpus wrote on Apr 3rd, 2014 at 10:21pm:
(LOTRO has announced that there will be no updates for at least a year)

provide a link please, I tried to find any mention of this and nothing....

Terebinthia wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:26pm:
the Wayward Lobster is a retard petting zoo.

IP Logged

Guru-Meditation
Korthos Resident

Reply #24 - Apr 6th, 2014 at 6:45am
Print Post  
Tried LotRO, but at its core (it has nice LotR fluff) it is just another of the gazillion boring WOW clones.

Did hold my attention for 1 week, because i really wanted to like it.

BOOOoooOOOOooooring WOW clone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint