Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic HELP!!! - Tower of Despair (Read 3044 times)
Blockheaded
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

HELP!!! - Tower of Despair
Aug 6th, 2013 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Hey guys,

So I'm kinda new to DDO and I just recently leveled my character to level 18 Barbarian in Thelanis. I have done 2 (and Weapons Shipment) of the 4 required flagged quests (The Devil You Know). But I find a hard time finding a decent group, and when I usually ask around about this questline, they say its recommended to find a private party instead of a public one. Is there anyone out there willing to help me out? (flagged or not)

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2013 at 12:36pm by Blockheaded »  

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Re: HELP!!! - Tower of Despair
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Not on Thelanis but...if you already have Genesis Point done then Sins of Attrition, Bastion of Power and a lesser degree A New Invasion are all solo-able, with a little patience for learning the quest.  Mobs are a easily defeated on Casual with a Hireling or Silver Flame Pots if thats your thing. (meaning you don't need a second lever puller).

Sins => Find Gula's Powder => Poison Gula's Meat => Kill Gula pretty straightforward.  There are other boss scenarios you can do but this is the one I always do (not sure why)

Bastion of Power => Work your way through curvy maze  => Pull Levers => Kill Devil Boss => Kill Marilith Demon

New Invasion => Timed quest => Follow left (or right) hand wall till you find a hole in floor => Rinse, Repeat (3 levels to work through to get to boss fight) => Drop down last hole, Kill Boss.  Bring Remove Curse Pots, Moving to a section of floor starts timer to explode (3 secs I think).  If you run around too quickly or back and forth you will trigger multiple exploding tiles.  So basically Cleave/Great Cleave Boss, Remove Curse and Heal while moving to next tile.

Genesis Point on the other hand *may* be soloable but I've always had other people in party to help figure it out/read the wiki or whatever.  If it is soloable I have not personally done it.

That's all I got.  Hope it helps.

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Agree with Mokune...ddowiki.com will help with a bit of info on each quest as well as a map usually. Since you're not going for the favor Casual should be easily doable regardless of character/build and hirelings shouldn't get blown up on casual.

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Is your toon named "Blockheaded"?  There was a Blockheaded the Negro there a while back.  Always surprised it wasn't renamed.

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Amrath is some of the best content that Turbine made, IMO.  Including the raid.  It was also some of the most challenging at level.  Elite Amrath was always a fun run, even with Epic gear. 

That said, it is a different animal than most of the content you ran to get here.  Things like GH and Necro 4 and IQ and such are silly easy in comparison.

Luckily, some people still like yugo pots or use the quests for XP on leveling.  You just have to be patient.  I've seen groups for them on Khyber in the LFM panel with some regularity at peak times.  If you play really off peak, it might be more of a problem.

IP Logged

Blockheaded
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Yeah the problem is that, even though I have a full group we still have struggles doing quests. If I quit a quest and abandon it wont I lose XP?

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Blockheaded wrote on Aug 6th, 2013 at 10:57pm:
Yeah the problem is that, even though I have a full group we still have struggles doing quests. If I quit a quest and abandon it wont I lose XP?

Try a lower difficulty.  Some have.mentioned this. But, casual setting plus.a hireling, plus ddowiki. That is the best way to learn a quest imo. Start it out on your own. Then put up an lfm saying what you're doing as in progress. Most of the time someone will join before you're done.

As for losing xp, you only lose some if someone dies in quest OR someone leaves quest and re-enters the same instance. If you totally want to start over, you can abandon or reset (wait & mins outside quest OR hit reset button on quest entrance screen. That will not affect your xp at all when you DO finally complete. There's also bravery bonus. But I would ignore it if I were you. Just know that it's why people like to do elite or hard on their first completion of a quest. I would NOT worry about that in Amrath unless you are joining another group.

Oh, one more way you lose xp is when players are more than 2 levels higher than the quest. But you could have 25s drag you through to get flagged.

Lastly, look up boots of anchoring in ddo wiki. You need some for the raid.

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2013 at 12:13am
Print Post  
OnePercenter wrote on Aug 6th, 2013 at 1:11pm:
Is your toon named "Blockheaded"?  There was a Blockheaded the Negro there a while back.  Always surprised it wasn't renamed. 

Yup, showing level 18 barb.  If yourddo is close to accurate, you could also beef up your gear a bit.  You might also see if protokon or one of those Thelanis teaching guys would be up to teach you a bit.  Your toon name, combined with his cornrows might scare some people off...

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2013 at 3:02am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 6th, 2013 at 9:58pm:
use the quests for XP on leveling. 

Don't say it... I've just started running them again with my static group ( 7 year old 28 pointer gimps from when the game was totally different ), at level.
Depending on the quest we use normal or casual and still manage to get nearly wiped.

( Ok, the party is really made up of gimps, half of it are first timers in the quests as they only play with that group, all the characters were created when the cap was 10, they have only the items they find or can buy from vendors/AH, and we do all the quests at level... This is going to lead to some Fun Time when we reach 20 and Epic )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint