Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Strange...bug? (Read 1949 times)
Azog
Ex Member

Strange...bug?
Aug 18th, 2013 at 8:22am
Print Post  
While being in a Character, suddenly a friend (we were duoing, nobody else in Group) cannot hear anymore what I am saying. When i change to other character, he hears me. Other people hear me too.

He couldnīt read my party chat or guild chat, but tells were OK.
Anyway I told him to write /squelch remove Asurbanipali, but was told that Asurbanipali was not in the list, (error message).

Somebody a clue?

IP Logged

Darth Anonymous
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Re: Strange...bug?
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Quote:
Somebody a clue?

IP Logged

Deathdefy
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 8:41am
Print Post  
I don't know the cause, but have also experienced it a few times.  "The chat bug" is what the people I play with call it, but yeah.  Only tells work.

Usually relogging fixes it, even just relogging to the same character.

IP Logged

Dickbutt
Titan Demolisher

Richard Butkus

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Deathdefy wrote on Aug 18th, 2013 at 8:41am:
I don't know the cause, but have also experienced it a few times.  "The chat bug" is what the people I play with call it, but yeah.  Only tells work.

Basically this. It's an old bug that mostly went away, then came back.

From the way you describe it, it happens in the middle of playing. I've only ever seen it happen on login. A few things to notice when logging in: You will not join any of your user chats; you will not be notified in standard channel that you are joining the general/trade/advice channels; you will still see the guild motd and login/logout messages, but not guild chat.

IP Logged

umeannothing
Stormreaver Piker

Wall building professional!

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Can't they actually fix anything over there? Jesus christ, this bug was around this past winter for awhile too.

Why the fuck is it that they can't fucking fix something over there and KEEP IT FUCKING FIXED?

Have fun on Monday everyone. Roll Eyes

MAGA!

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 11:09am
Print Post  

This.  It's annoying as fuck.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 11:49am
Print Post  
I dunno about Azog's description of the symptoms, but sounds like maybe failing to join the chat server. The chat server is a separate server from the gameplay server that handles chat channels and voice communication. Since u18ish there's been a problem on either the client or server side again where the client fails to connect on login sometimes. I've had to relog after about 1/3rd of logins lately to get a connection to the chat server.

IP Logged

Goaticorn
DQ Assaulter

Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 11:57am
Print Post  
I have gotten the chat bug several times, it's annoying.

I wonder though if this is two things working in combination, like maybe he dc'd from chat but then when reconnecting got the chat bug?

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 12:06pm
Print Post  

Yes, the dead chat bug. When it happens, logout and relog to the same character solves it.

Dickbutt wrote on Aug 18th, 2013 at 10:24am:
From the way you describe it, it happens in the middle of playing.

It may happen ( rarely ) in the middle of playing. Most of the time you'll get the connection lost to chat server message along with the chat server reconnected message but you'll be unable to chat, but in even more rare case you just get nothing, and it's up to you to guess that nobody sees what you say.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

RandomName
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
I'll confirm that it can happen mid-quest, with not even a dis/reconnect to chat servers message.  It's an odd experience.  You're running with people you know, having a lively chat about whatever, and then bam! Silence.  Like that one point in a bad pug group when everyone admits to themselves its a bad pug group and shuts up, continues the quest in silence to get the xp, and jump ship as soon as they're outside.

What's far more common is the chat fail on load.  The one where channels don't load and it's really obvious it failed.  You know what's annoying? Zoning crash -> relog -> chat fail -> having to send a /tell saying 'relogging again' -> relogging while hoping it doesn't happen again immediately.

On the bright side typing "/tell <leader> Chats bugged" is faster than "/squelch <name>" 5x.
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2013 at 6:48pm by RandomName »  

IP Logged

Crunch ButtSteak
Stormreaver Piker

Fer teh lolz

Reply #10 - Aug 20th, 2013 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Dropping and rejoining party will sometimes fix it, and will save you the /logout.

IP Logged

Lurkette
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 7:15am
Print Post  
umeannothing wrote on Aug 18th, 2013 at 10:27am:
Can't they actually fix anything over there? Jesus christ, this bug was around this past winter for awhile too.

Why the fuck is it that they can't fucking fix something over there and KEEP IT FUCKING FIXED?

Have fun on Monday everyone. Roll Eyes

Because they don't use reasonable versioning software.

If Bob is making changes to code, he downloads a copy to his computer.

If Steve has to make changes to the same code, he pulls a copy to his computer. When they finish their work, they push their copies to the main code storage.

One of the two of them will be 'first'.

If Steve is done first, good versioning software will tell Bob...hey Bob, your co-worker Steve updated the code you're working on. Want me to grab a copy to test his changes against your changes?

Not sure what they're doing in Turbine, but it probably involved monkeys flinging shit against the walls.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint