Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic TES Online (Read 360 times)
FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

TES Online
Aug 22nd, 2013 at 12:54am
Print Post  
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/21/the-elder-scrolls-online-will-require-a-1...

The Elder Scrolls Online Will Require a $15 Monthly Subscription Fee
Zenimax Studios is foregoing the free to play model with the upcoming MMO.

Hmmm, let's see....14 months from launch and they go F2P.

IP Logged

Sgtgig
Waterworks Kobold

Re: TES Online
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Aug 22nd, 2013 at 12:54am:
Hmmm, let's see....14 months from launch and they go F2P.

I give it two.

It'll avoid the "all F2P MMOs are garbage" mentality that I and a lot of other people have, however:

Not to mention it bastardizes all lore the ES series ever had (a screencap from beta of an Argonian complaining of being poisoned is a famous, yet minor, example), the fact that it's being developed by people who just do not really care about anything besides profit margin, and the fact that beta is full of yes-men who have only ever played Skyrim and are only there to get a "sneak peek."

Anyone who is remotely excited about its release is either not paying attention to its development (or the regression of MMORPGs as a genre) or are complete idiots.
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2013 at 9:36pm by Sgtgig »  

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Well, fuck. Between this and Wildstar, I hope that MMOs are not drifting back towards the P2P model.

At least EQNext will be F2P.

Theologians don't know nothin' about my soul

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on Aug 23rd, 2013 at 10:05am:
Well, fuck. Between this and Wildstar, I hope that MMOs are not drifting back towards the P2P model.

Well, a recent article from WoW producer (?) mentioned that potentially WoW could go F2P as well, full game. Basically he didn't discount the F2P model and the possibility of WoW getting rid of sub requirements.

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 11:01am
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Aug 23rd, 2013 at 10:43am:
Well, a recent article from WoW producer (?) mentioned that potentially WoW could go F2P as well, full game. Basically he didn't discount the F2P model and the possibility of WoW getting rid of sub requirements.

That appeals to me not even slightly.

Theologians don't know nothin' about my soul

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on Aug 23rd, 2013 at 11:01am:
That appeals to me not even slightly.

Yup, just pointing out that TES and Wildstar are swimming against the currents. If the big dog of subs model MMOs is considering F2P, it's a good sign that the tides have changed.

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Hoping to give TESO a try at PAX Prime next week and see if it's worth a subscription. I don't mind paying if it's good entertainment for the money - I just am not too keen on it being another one that kinda fizzles fast like DCU or SWTOR.

The fact that Bethesda does not have a panel for the game has me a bit worried - but hoping it's playable on the exhibition floor.

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

Sgtgig
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Memnir wrote on Aug 23rd, 2013 at 10:50pm:
Hoping to give TESO a try at PAX Prime next week and see if it's worth a subscription. I don't mind paying if it's good entertainment for the money - I just am not too keen on it being another one that kinda fizzles fast like DCU or SWTOR.

The fact that Bethesda does not have a panel for the game has me a bit worried - but hoping it's playable on the exhibition floor.

I'm not being disingenuous when I say: don't get excited.

If you thought Turbine was bad when it came to listening to player feedback in beta... HAH.

IP Logged

DDOcrackhead
Stormreaver Piker

Worlds: Khyber, Wayfinder

Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
I've read the Breivik diaries. What he writes about WoW, is not really convincing me - the cartoon graphics are too abstract for my taste. Heck, even the new DDO "Purple Dragon Knights" are too manga/cartoonish for my taste. Prolly will test Conan next, think it's F2P already...

***TWF-Kalashtar, 1-st hand: Nerf-hammer, 2-nd hand: Troll-hammer. Intimidate 500. Bluff 600***

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on Aug 23rd, 2013 at 10:05am:

I highly doubt you will see a successful and sustained subscription-only model ever again. The fact is that no MMO provider - or game provider for that matter - can come out with content that justifies the $15/mo standard. It's always been a broken model, and all it took was one moderately successful game making the switch before the dam broke.

I'd be perfectly fine with paying $15/mo to a game provider that came out with the equivalent of 1/4 of a console game's content every month... given the old $60 per game up front cost model. But I have yet to see an MMO provider that comes out with anywhere near that kind of content.

As for service costs - running the game servers and whatnot - that was long ago shown to be a non-issue. Blizzard's SC1 servers are still running without subscription fees 15+ years later.

Another example of a doomed payment model: cable TV and similar services (dish/directTV). Most consumers don't want packaged TV (there's always someone who still rents their phone from AT&T, but they don't count). It's great having 1000 channels and all but I don't watch 990 of them. The companies themselves are proving to be exceptionally resistant to change, but their service model has lived well beyond its expected lifespan. It can only continue so long as one of them doesn't crack. As soon as one company cracks, the rest will fall in line very shortly after... just like F2P in MMOs.
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2013 at 8:12pm by Strakeln »  

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Aug 29th, 2013 at 8:08pm:
I highly doubt you will see a successful and sustained subscription-only model ever again. The fact is that no MMO provider - or game provider for that matter - can come out with content that justifies the $15/mo standard. It's always been a broken model, and all it took was one moderately successful game making the switch before the dam broke.

I'd be perfectly fine with paying $15/mo to a game provider that came out with the equivalent of 1/4 of a console game's content every month... given the old $60 per game up front cost model. But I have yet to see an MMO provider that comes out with anywhere near that kind of content.

As for service costs - running the game servers and whatnot - that was long ago shown to be a non-issue. Blizzard's SC1 servers are still running without subscription fees 15+ years later.

Another example of a doomed payment model: cable TV and similar services (dish/directTV). Most consumers don't want packaged TV (there's always someone who still rents their phone from AT&T, but they don't count). It's great having 1000 channels and all but I don't watch 990 of them. The companies themselves are proving to be exceptionally resistant to change, but their service model has lived well beyond its expected lifespan. It can only continue so long as one of them doesn't crack. As soon as one company cracks, the rest will fall in line very shortly after... just like F2P in MMOs.

I agree with you.  You are seeing more and more on-demand content you can get online directly from places like ABC, NBC, and CBS and HBO has HBOGO.  Add in what NetFlix and Amazon can do today and the proliferation of WiFi/Internet Ready TV's and the need for an ISP is really all you need.  Voice and packaged TV are both anachronisms.  I don't know many people under the age of 40 with a home phone line anymore.

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #11 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 9:01am
Print Post  
The game looks pretty good, and it's fun to play.

However, playing it at PAX has not convinced me enough that a $15 sub is going to be overly tempting. And the Devs on the showfloor were pretty evasive when I pressed for specifics (as I thought they'd be, but I had to ask).

Fun? Certainly.
Fun enough to sink the $15-a-month hook back in? 'm still on the fence.

The lack of a panel for the game is also worrisome. SOE had panels for SWTOR a full two years in advance of the game's launch. Bethesda has had panels for Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim in the PAX leading up to their launch - even if those launches were a ways out. The fact that Bethesda wasn't willing to have a presentation where a lot of details would be expected has me concerned that the "meat and potatoes" just won't be there.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2013 at 9:02am by Memnir »  

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

Ewilan
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Well, we already know that the leveling part of the game will be very interesting. Storyline appears to be very cool with many options, it will be the first MMORPG with such graphics and well, we already know the world will be huge and each faction has a different starting place, so you can pretty much start another character and have an entirely different leveling experience.

Gameplay wise, it will be very similar to Skyrim. Active combat is always great, but Skyrim wasn't very "fluid" to me (played on my old laptop so that's probably why), and my second worry is that you constantly have to concentrate to play well. It won't be like a tradionnal MMO where you can spend hours pressing keys without having to aim.

Knowing that the leveling part should be quite good, I'm fine with the 15$ a month as long as Bethesda provides a solid endgame with ways to keep improving your character.

IP Logged

Sgtgig
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #13 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Ewilan wrote on Sep 7th, 2013 at 6:31pm:
Gameplay wise, it will be very similar to Skyrim. Active combat is always great, but Skyrim wasn't very "fluid" to me (played on my old laptop so that's probably why), and my second worry is that you constantly have to concentrate to play well. It won't be like a tradionnal MMO where you can spend hours pressing keys without having to aim.

Skyrim has garbage combat. A multitude of other games make it look like the worst shit possible. The lore was one of the major points of TES and this MMO is ignoring most of it.

Quote:
Knowing that the leveling part should be quite good, I'm fine with the 15$ a month as long as Bethesda provides a solid endgame with ways to keep improving your character.

The game is not being developed by Bethesda. Which, depending on your point of view, is either good or bad: Bethesda is pretty incompetent, and the only way to make TES games really good is with extensive mods. In an MMO, mods will probably not be possible.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #14 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
All I know is the IGN preview video makes the game look pretty good to me. But, I have concerns.

the sub thing was definitely one.
No raids is another.

I'm pretty behind. I never played Skyrim OR even Oblivion. But I played Morrowind and really liked it.

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint