Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic ED and new epic feats for a wizard (Read 9502 times)
Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

ED and new epic feats for a wizard
Aug 28th, 2013 at 3:52am
Print Post  
Just came back from 3 months break. Checked the new epic and ED feats - disappointed. I mean,  spells are now feats?! Great.

Anyways, want some help on what you guys are taking / took at levels 26,27 and 28 for a Palemaster.

-Indianwizy

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: ED and new epic feats for a wizard
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on Aug 28th, 2013 at 3:52am:
Just came back from 3 months break. Checked the new epic and ED feats - disappointed. I mean,  spells are now feats?! Great.

Anyways, want some help on what you guys are taking / took at levels 26,27 and 28 for a Palemaster.

-Indianwizy

Epic Mage Armor and Mass Frog.

On a more Seriousl note:  Why is Epic Mage Armor here?  Am I missing something?  Casters don't give a crap about AC.  Anyone who does give a shit about AC will have another source for Armor bonus by level 26 that is not a spell.

I haven't gotten to 28 yet on my Wiz, but I'd like to experiment with Hellball and Ruin.  Ruin looks better at first glance.  500 untyped damage with no save vs. 4(10d6) of 4 different elements (Which may be resisted/immune) with a reflex save for each (that's 4 reflex saves total) for a potential range of 40-480 damage.  No mention on the wiki of whether one or both can benefit from metamagics.  If they can't neither is worth much of a damn.

Other options are 20 spell power for Negative from the divine group.  I also am thinking about the Forced Escape from the Divine group.  But then, I solo on my wiz a lot and enemy CC can be a PITA for a soloer.

I'm having a hard time using an epic feat for 20 spell power for one element.  It just feels Meh.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Toughness twice.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 28th, 2013 at 9:32am:
Epic Mage Armor and Mass Frog.

On a more Seriousl note:  Why is Epic Mage Armor here?  Am I missing something?  Casters don't give a crap about AC.  Anyone who does give a shit about AC will have another source for Armor bonus by level 26 that is not a spell.

I haven't gotten to 28 yet on my Wiz, but I'd like to experiment with Hellball and Ruin.  Ruin looks better at first glance.  500 untyped damage with no save vs. 4(10d6) of 4 different elements (Which may be resisted/immune) with a reflex save for each (that's 4 reflex saves total) for a potential range of 40-480 damage.  No mention on the wiki of whether one or both can benefit from metamagics.  If they can't neither is worth much of a damn.

Other options are 20 spell power for Negative from the divine group.  I also am thinking about the Forced Escape from the Divine group.  But then, I solo on my wiz a lot and enemy CC can be a PITA for a soloer.

I'm having a hard time using an epic feat for 20 spell power for one element.  It just feels Meh.

They are affected by metas, but you have to pay the increased spell cost. Those "feats" are fucking garbage.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 11:00am
Print Post  
rest wrote on Aug 28th, 2013 at 10:41am:
They are affected by metas, but you have to pay the increased spell cost. Those "feats" are fucking garbage.

Ouch.  That's a pretty hefty mana cost, then.  Ruin is 75 base and Hellball is 50. 

IP Logged

spathic
Stocky Greenis

Taunting the stupid since
before you were born.

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 11:15am
Print Post  
How far down can you reduce the cost for empower and maximize with new enhancements and gear? The no save part of Ruin may still make it worthwhile.

Instant asshole. Just add alcohol.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 11:22am
Print Post  
spathic wrote on Aug 28th, 2013 at 11:15am:
How far down can you reduce the cost for empower and maximize with new enhancements and gear? The no save part of Ruin may still make it worthwhile.

Empower -6, Maximize -9 from 6AP each. -1 each if 20 Wiz. If you put a mastery scepter in each hand - which no longer drop - that'd be another -6 Max. But that would be pretty terrible.

Just go shiradi and spend 1SP on spells instead of 100.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2013 at 11:23am by cdr »  

IP Logged

Tobril
Honourary Australian

Hi Welcome

Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Shiradi

Spellpower or toughness

The PM deathward bug is back so be advised.

IP Logged

Slug
Shroud Slacker

Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 28th, 2013 at 9:32am:

The only use I see is for monks.  And I stop giving a crap about AC at that level anyways, so I'm not even sure if it helps.

Hellball sounds fun, but not too effective.

Is ruin affected by force spell power?  I don't want to simply assume it does. Cuz Turbine.

IP Logged

Laraeph
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #9 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Ruin is affected by force spell power, and was a nice added DPS (even if not very SP efficient) boost when I absolutely needed something dead, right now.
Then again, my build on Lamannia had free metas (quicken, empower and maximize for 0 added cost), due to the efficient metamagic stacking across trees. My live character is only lvl 24 due to having done 3 TRs (1-20) during the 30% XP just before U19, and slowly getting all of them back to cap.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2013 at 1:57pm by Laraeph »  

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #10 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Monster to-hit is so insanely high I don't think there's any value anyone but a S&B tank could hit that would make any difference - and even with an insane investment in AC you're not going to get much out of it. I don't know what the hell they were thinking with Epic Mage Armor.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Slug wrote on Aug 28th, 2013 at 1:03pm:
The only use I see is for monks.  And I stop giving a crap about AC at that level anyways, so I'm not even sure if it helps.

Hellball sounds fun, but not too effective.

Is ruin affected by force spell power?  I don't want to simply assume it does. Cuz Turbine.

Yes it's affected by force spell power.

On my fvs, I was seeing ~2500 non crit per cast for ruin with full metas. I think it was 125 SP per cast.

Also, I was seeing 1900-2600 non crit from my boulder toss. For 0 spell cost.  Unfortunately math never solves anything.

Edit: This was on Lamannia. My FvS hasn't even hit level 26 on live yet.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2013 at 2:00pm by rest »  

IP Logged

Torgal
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 1:23am
Print Post  
26 - +20 Negative SP
27 - +1 Int
28 - Hellball

Will be swapping my level 1 toughness feat for eschew or enlarge or something more useful and maybe swap hellball for toughness, already have over 800hp on my PM so don't really need toughness anymore.

The character power level increase from 25-28 is probably the lowest power level increase of any 3 levels in the game, these epic levels are pretty pointless other than something to do.

IP Logged

whothefuckami
Stormreaver Piker

Oppan Gangnam Style

Reply #13 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 2:33am
Print Post  
What sort of in-practice numbers is Hellball putting out?

Troll account, please ignore

IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #14 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 5:18am
Print Post  
Ty for the replies everyone. Thought will install DDO on my work laptop before heading out this weekend, but gonna pass.

Lemme take another 3 months break till X-mas and then check whether any improvements are done.

Ciao Smiley

IP Logged

Scrybe
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 11:50am
Print Post  
You could pick worse feats.  I'm looking at Epic Skill Focus.  Like, really, +5 to one skill?  Naturally, that skill can't be UMD XD. 

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #16 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 11:55am
Print Post  
+5 to Spellcraft is actually decent. No regrets taking it on my shiradi.

IP Logged

Scrybe
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Wouldn't you have been better off just taking a +20 to a specific Spell Power instead?  Granted, Spellcraft effects all element types, but +20 to one seems better than +5 to all.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #18 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Scrybe wrote on Aug 29th, 2013 at 9:08pm:
Wouldn't you have been better off just taking a +20 to a specific Spell Power instead?  Granted, Spellcraft effects all element types, but +20 to one seems better than +5 to all.

No.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 4:40am
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Aug 29th, 2013 at 9:42pm:
No.

Um, yes?  Force and fire make up the large bulk of your DPS in shiradi.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint