Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Guild Wars 2 (Read 388 times)
Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Guild Wars 2
Sep 2nd, 2013 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Ok, I'm seriously starting to look at other games. I'm not an early adopter type. I like to see how things shake out.

GW2 looks pretty good to me. Some questions:

1. Who is playing this?
2. What do you like?
3. How does it compare to DDO?
4. Will they be adding races/professions?
5. Are certain builds clearly superior, or are things balanced?
6. Does the game look to you like it has a decent future?
7. What else?

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Re: Guild Wars 2
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 at 10:07am:
1. Who is playing this?
2. What do you like?
3. How does it compare to DDO?
4. Will they be adding races/professions?
5. Are certain builds clearly superior, or are things balanced?
6. Does the game look to you like it has a decent future?
7. What else?

1. I am. Big draw, right?
2. The exploration, the dungeons, and a little bit of wuvwuv.
3. Less bugs, better graphics, less complex character building, less interesting PVE endgame, better PVP.
4. I don't think ANet has said one way or another.
5. Yes, though it depends on which sphere of the game. In PVE, Warriors are king, but they kinda suck in wuvwuv and PVP. Thieves are good in PVP formats. Rangers are meh in all, outside of one or two builds. Mesmers are pretty well-rounded. Yadda yadda.
6. Yep. Though there are mixed feelings about their emphasis on the Living Story over permanent content additions.
7. If you like toggled mouselook mode in DDO, then download one of the Combat Mods for GW2, since they let you enable mouselook targeting. Otherwise, it's your standard MMO feel.

Theologians don't know nothin' about my soul

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 at 11:18am:
3. Less bugs, better graphics, less complex character building, less interesting PVE endgame, better PVP.
5. Yes, though it depends on which sphere of the game. In PVE, Warriors are king, but they kinda suck in wuvwuv and PVP. Thieves are good in PVP formats. Rangers are meh in all, outside of one or two builds. Mesmers are pretty well-rounded. Yadda yadda.
6. Yep. Though there are mixed feelings about their emphasis on the Living Story over permanent content additions.
7. If you like toggled mouselook mode in DDO, then download one of the Combat Mods for GW2, since they let you enable mouselook targeting. Otherwise, it's your standard MMO feel.

Me too, see this post from a few days ago http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1377220948/0#5

I am primarily PvE- and Living World-centric.

There are some balance issues among the classes that ArenaNet both caused and have been fixing.  It's nowhere near the issues that surrounded Rangers or the nerfs to Sorcs a while back; but they are definitely noticable.

Since it wasn't mentioned previously - Elementalists are also a very fun class to look into if you can put up with a couple days of squishiness... they shine at higher levels (55-ish and up).

The biggest challenge for any new player will be gold.  That will translate into slower leveling.  Once you do the first character and run some lvl 80 content for maybe a week, any character you play thereafter will be infinitely faster due to you being able to equip them properly.

Insofar as thieves and PvE (implied above) - I LOVE my thief... yah, they're squishier than Warriors, but I am a speed junky... lots of shadow walking (a sort of teleport skill), dodging, positioning for a backstab, etc.  Adrenaline oozes out of a thief.

I think it's got a lot of staying power with me... can't speak to anyone else.

Biggest advice for DDO players coming in to GW2 new - you cannot jump cast.  I did that for a week and interrupted spells and skills out the ass.

EDIT:  regarding third-party add-ons.  ArenaNet don't play when it comes to anything they deem an exploit.  Even something as silly as a mod to back the camera away from your character so you have a wider FOV is considered an exploit to them.  You're an adult and can do what you will, but word to the wise, their banhammer is like Maban-style.

EDIT:  Just thought of this - the community is a little "saltier"/snarkier than DDO.  Think Khyber with a toothache.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2013 at 8:54pm by karatekid »  

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2013 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Combat Mode 1.1 was deemed not violating TOS, while 1.43 was seen as a violation due to modification of UI elements.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
I have started. I got a lvl 9 Engineer going atm. The game looks great, and is pretty fun. I still am learning some crap, and I don't get the grouping quite yet. But I'll figure it out.

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Sep 4th, 2013 at 4:58pm:
I have started. I got a lvl 9 Engineer going atm. The game looks great, and is pretty fun. I still am learning some crap, and I don't get the grouping quite yet. But I'll figure it out.

What world (server) did you join?  If you're ok with sharing a character name, I'll /whisper you when I get back home this weekend.  I primarily solo or play with my son, but we can get you familiar with the grouping UI, etc.  Unlike mst games, you don't need to group in open world to take part in events and get XP + loot... There's no penalty to anyone, no kill stealing, etc - just join in the fight!

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Sep 4th, 2013 at 4:58pm:

I hope that you like repetitive stress syndrome, since the best spec for Engies is to spam ground-targeted grenades.

If you'd like an alternative, rifle builds that focus on static discharge (you'll see it in your traits eventually) are also pretty good, but less durable.

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Grenades are AWESOME!!!

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Bill Z Bubb wrote on Sep 5th, 2013 at 11:21am:
Grenades are AWESOME!!!

Indeed, but my wrist still hates me for it.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on Sep 5th, 2013 at 12:00pm:
Indeed, but my wrist still hates me for it.

You sure that's GW2 causing the stress to your wrists?!?!

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Sep 5th, 2013 at 11:32pm:

MLP Online?

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #11 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Sep 5th, 2013 at 11:36pm:
MLP Online?

NSFW - ish

There's much worse out there, but still not safe for work.

http://thedingleberry.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/376397-cherries_jubilee-molass...

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Sep 5th, 2013 at 11:32pm:

Took longer than expected for that implication. Y'all are slacking.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on Sep 6th, 2013 at 2:09pm:
Took longer than expected for that implication. Y'all are slacking.

cut me some slack, i've been travelin' Smiley

IP Logged

Ewilan
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 at 11:18am:

Exactly the feeling I had. I never got to cap as not having mouse look really makes the combat boring. I never new about this mod though, I might actually give GW2 another try.

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #15 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Ewilan wrote on Sep 7th, 2013 at 5:53pm:
Exactly the feeling I had. I never got to cap as not having mouse look really makes the combat boring. I never new about this mod though, I might actually give GW2 another try.

How well the mod works depends on what classes you play, unfortunately. Any class that uses a lot of ground-targeting will take a lot of finesse, as you won't have a reticule and the mod requires fast-cast ground targeting.

However, it works lovely with the heavy armor classes, Ranger, and Thief.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #16 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 11:09am
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Sep 4th, 2013 at 10:01pm:
What world (server) did you join?  If you're ok with sharing a character name, I'll /whisper you when I get back home this weekend.  I primarily solo or play with my son, but we can get you familiar with the grouping UI, etc.  Unlike mst games, you don't need to group in open world to take part in events and get XP + loot... There's no penalty to anyone, no kill stealing, etc - just join in the fight!

Yak something. A friend of mine had started on there, so I joined it.

I'm up to lvl 14 or 15 now. I'm doing mostly bombs and flamethrower atm. I read grenades aren't as good till later.

Some stuff is kinda hard to solo.

I'm surprised there's no real LFM function in the game. So, there's third-party websites that for? Weird.

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #17 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 11:09am:

I'm up to lvl 14 or 15 now. I'm doing mostly bombs and flamethrower atm. I read grenades aren't as good till later.

I'm surprised there's no real LFM function in the game. So, there's third-party websites that for? Weird.

Engies can be a chore to level, at least until you unlock the best traits. I used a mix of Flamethrower and Rifle to level, as Bombs made me feel so fragile.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #18 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 2:23pm:
Engies can be a chore to level, at least until you unlock the best traits. I used a mix of Flamethrower and Rifle to level, as Bombs made me feel so fragile.

I'm noticing. I tried out a guardian too. MUCH easier. I can solo the miniboss events with the guardian.

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #19 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Sep 9th, 2013 at 1:48pm:
I'm noticing. I tried out a guardian too. MUCH easier. I can solo the miniboss events with the guardian.

Guard is easymode for PVE. If you want godmode, though, make a Warrior and use the healing signet. You do a crapton of damage with either axe/horn or greatsword and are insanely tough to kill.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #20 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 5:47pm
Print Post  

Yak's Bend - ok.  No big deal, since we can guest on other servers as long as they're on same continent.  Wasn't sure if Oregon had gone all EU on us Cheesy

Dunno, not done an engineer yet.

It is at first - but that's where the "first character is always the hardest" thing comes in.  I can solo all but the big purple names and dungeons/mists now (2nd character) because I can gear up properly.

The LFM thing really messed me up, too.  I think it was left out due to them wanting to encourage dynamic grouping on world events... but the player community is still hung up on forming a cookie-cutter group to a certain extent.

EDIT:  another benefit of getting gold built up is you can take a brand new character and some gold into the crafting area and easily get them up to 15 or higher with CRAFTING alone.  I have a level 10 mesmer who's not stepped foot out of the city yet and still have ~130 crafting levels to go Cheesy

There's a guide to doing it frugally out there so it doesn't waste TOO much gold...  http://www.gw2crafts.net/.  It's not the most intuitive layout, but you get used to it.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2013 at 5:51pm by karatekid »  

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #21 - Sep 11th, 2013 at 3:55pm
Print Post  

Someone from ANet must be lurking...

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/OMG-LFG

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #22 - Sep 11th, 2013 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Sep 11th, 2013 at 3:55pm:
Someone from ANet must be lurking...

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/OMG-LFG

NICE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint