Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Destinies on a lowby (Read 36409 times)
Shadehater
Dropbear Awareness Society

Smite Stupid!

Re: Destinies on a lowby
Reply #50 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 1:45am
Print Post  
Luxgolg wrote on Sep 4th, 2013 at 11:50am:
Or if you are cool you might get an invite to the club

*kicks the dirt sheepishly*

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #51 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/425263-Cheating-is-rampant-whats-the-p...

Quote:
This is not working as intended, and will be changed.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #52 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Sep 4th, 2013 at 8:56pm:
It's more about blowing through your remaining past lives as fast as possible before Turbine totally fucks you over by resetting ED XP in U20.  They still haven't said they aren't doing that, even after all the harsh feedback.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/421869-A-Question-to-Devs-about-change...

"Wiping all ED XP might have made some sense if we made it part of the system a year ago, but you folks have made it quite clear that we're past that point. "

My bet . . . EDs will get wiped and we'll get 1.5 million XP stones per ED maxed out on a TR.  How they'll parse epic/heroic TRs I have no idea.

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #53 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Sep 10th, 2013 at 12:09pm:

You see how hard we had to push to get an answer? And from Jerry no less...Which means nothing.

Frog on all servers, but Cannith is home.

IP Logged

Sergod
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #54 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Really glad for this thread lol. Didn't know about this somehow.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #55 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Sep 10th, 2013 at 12:09pm:

Not surprising.  Everyone pretty much expects it will get fixed at some point or another.  I understand what the guy in that thread is saying.  Some people want to speed through PL's.  The enjoyment in it is the XP/Min challenge.  Some like to enjoy leveling for running the quests and playing a new build to cap.  You can't have the XP/Min speed PL guy using the ED Twists trick in the same group with the guy who wants to actually play the content.

Of course, I'd argue they probably don't co-exist too well even without the ED trick.  Most folks I know who are speed PL'ing don't group too much, though.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #56 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Sergod wrote on Sep 10th, 2013 at 2:07pm:
Really glad for this thread lol. Didn't know about this somehow.

Oh how the might have fallen!

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #57 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
*shrug*

Past Life, is that the seldom used Cleric things I have on my Druid ?
( she is my only TR and she was a Cleric before )

I prefer more character slots over TR... In Fact I have 3 Empty Slots now and 19 characters ( a lot of them have been in vacation since MotU )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #58 - Sep 11th, 2013 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
I blame the person who shared knowledge with loud douchebags. 80% of the people in this game want to tell you something you don't know (regardless of accuracy). If you tell one of these people something actually valuable and unknown (keys sagas bags etc) you can count on them telling as many people as they can to satiate some need to feel awesome.

The worst thing you can do with an exploit, is share it.

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #59 - Sep 11th, 2013 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Sep 11th, 2013 at 12:47pm:
I blame the person who shared knowledge with loud douchebags. 80% of the people in this game want to tell you something you don't know (regardless of accuracy). If you tell one of these people something actually valuable and unknown (keys sagas bags etc) you can count on them telling as many people as they can to satiate some need to feel awesome.

The worst thing you can do with an exploit, is share it.

Meh.  As mentioned above, leveling a TR is wicked easy as it is.

IP Logged

a Kitteh
DQ Assaulter

lolwut?

Reply #60 - Sep 11th, 2013 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Sep 4th, 2013 at 8:56pm:
It's more about blowing through your remaining past lives as fast as possible before Turbine totally fucks you over by resetting ED XP in U20.  They still haven't said they aren't doing that, even after all the harsh feedback.

they won't

Grace wrote on Feb 16th, 2012 at 5:14pm:
When a quest thinks you are so bad you need to reroll, that's srsbznz.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #61 - Sep 11th, 2013 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
a Kitteh wrote on Sep 11th, 2013 at 1:03pm:
they won't

Depends on the objective they have been asked to reach.

If it's kill the game as fast as possible while not being too obvious about it then they will wipe ED XP upon TR whatever we say. ( and honestly last year track record says they  are following that target )

If it's keep the game up and earning money as long as possible then they won't... ( but on the other hand they wouldn't have forced down our throat the Enhancement Crash as it is if they had followed that target )

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #62 - Sep 11th, 2013 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 11th, 2013 at 2:13pm:
If it's keep the game up and earning money as long as possible then they won't... ( but on the other hand they wouldn't have forced down our throat the Enhancement Crash as it is if they had followed that target )

Are you still bitching about the Enhancement Pass?  Sure the trees need some tweaking and a few classes need some more trees but it's not the horrible train wreck it appeared to be back in June.  I actually like my divines.  There's several new builds I want to try out.  I like it.  I was bored with all the old builds.  I knew the old system inside and out.  It was old hat.  Learning this new system is fun.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #63 - Sep 11th, 2013 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Sep 10th, 2013 at 3:01pm:
Oh how the might have fallen!

meh theirs always someone else ready to take on the mantle.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #64 - Sep 11th, 2013 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Sep 11th, 2013 at 6:11pm:
meh theirs always someone else ready to take on the mantle.

It's not me. I don't know anything about anything.  Lips Sealed

P.S. tell Byl I need to talk to her.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #65 - Sep 12th, 2013 at 4:20am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 11th, 2013 at 4:26pm:
Are you still bitching about the Enhancement Pass?

Yes I am.

10 people I know left because of it.

I'm still wondering why they didn't put the old system in a tree form instead of making something that was going to drive people away.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #66 - Sep 12th, 2013 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 12th, 2013 at 4:20am:
Re: Destinies on a lowby Mark & Quote Quote
Asheras wrote Yesterday at 4:26pm:
Are you still bitching about the Enhancement Pass?

Yes I am.

10 people I know left because of it.

I'm still wondering why they didn't put the old system in a tree form instead of making something that was going to drive people away.

I'm with you, Flav. Not one person in my guild, myself included, has logged into DDO since a month before the Enhancement (no thanks I'll) Pass. Granted our whole guild probably spent less than one of "The Big Boys" here, but we did spend, and many people spending a little each can be a huge market force, that's the whole premise of the f2p model. A model, I might add, widely credited with saving DDO once before.

What baffles me is that they claim it's to help with player retention. What players were leaving that won't because of this?

The die-hards weren't threatening to leave over the old enhancement system, they knew the enhancement system and it was workable.

The current casual players might have frustration with Enhancements, but they would be better served with keeping their characters playable and putting the enhancements in a better UI, and making the character sheet more informative. Making them learn a new system and go through the work of re-speccing a character is a large effort barrier for someone with limited play time, and many didn't cross that barrier.

Or maybe they are targeting new players? Like all the ones they'll pull in from GenConn, Pax, and their advertising campaign? Oh wait, that's right, THEY WEREN'T THERE. The main message non-players hear is the lamentations of the hordes of casual players put through the pointless pain of having every single one of their characters broken.

So what market segment has better retention because of this?

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Flint
Stormreaver Piker

I'm a Halfling on the
EDGE!

Reply #67 - Sep 12th, 2013 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 11th, 2013 at 4:26pm:
Are you still bitching about the Enhancement Pass?  Sure the trees need some tweaking and a few classes need some more trees but it's not the horrible train wreck it appeared to be back in June.  I actually like my divines.  There's several new builds I want to try out.  I like it.  I was bored with all the old builds.  I knew the old system inside and out.  It was old hat.  Learning this new system is fun. 

My current focus has been on getting to completionist on the character I had a plan for it on. The current build has saved 4 feats from preEnhancement Pass requirements. I actually doubt I could have made this build before the Pass. And it's fun as hell to play.  I still would have done the build I just wouldn't have had some of the enhancements I have now.

Did the Enhancement Pass drive people away? Sure it did. But if that's the reason people left after being granted a +20 Heart to fix their broken characters I'm not sure they would have been happy with anything Turbine did to the enhancement system. Sounds to me like most of those who left pulled the I'm taking my ball and going home routine when the rules didn't suit them.

IP Logged

Groo The Wanderer
Titan Demolisher

did I err?

Reply #68 - Sep 12th, 2013 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
LOL.

You know I haven't been around for a while and then I see this popping up.  Shoulda read in here sooner I guess.

For me it didn't bother me, hell I thought it was WAI and ran shotgun to the Past Life Feats.  Seriously.

Kinda sucks it's going away at some point but honestly with the loot that drops now the bonus is negligible.  The only thing I am going to miss is Cocoon on my melee's.

where's the cheese dip?

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #69 - Sep 12th, 2013 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Flint wrote on Sep 12th, 2013 at 1:05pm:
Did the Enhancement Pass drive people away? Sure it did. But if that's the reason people left after being granted a +20 Heart to fix their broken characters I'm not sure they would have been happy with anything Turbine did to the enhancement system. Sounds to me like most of those who left pulled the I'm taking my ball and going home routine when the rules didn't suit them.

They did because they didn't want to spend hours fixing characters they have been playing for years.
They were happy with the characters how they were.

It's like if a GM kills the characters you've been playing for years in a PnP Campaign, I'm sure you'd smile while tearing your character sheet.
And yes most of the were was we can call casual players.

So basically the Enhancement Crash drove away those it was aimed at.
Turbine has that big problem they can't understand : a 7 year old game cannot attract hordes of new players, and no change in the system will change that.
So the important thing is player retention, as in keeping those we have happy and smiling.
Enhancement Crash didn't do that.
Enhancement Crash in the way of the old enhancement in a tree form without having to respec ( or with minimal respec and an eventual option for a full respect ) would have done that.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2013 at 1:27pm by Flav »  

IP Logged

Flint
Stormreaver Piker

I'm a Halfling on the
EDGE!

Reply #70 - Sep 12th, 2013 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 12th, 2013 at 1:27pm:
They did because they didn't want to spend hours fixing characters they have been playing for years.
They were happy with the characters how they were.

It's like if a GM kills the characters you've been playing for years in a PnP Campaign, I'm sure you'd smile while tearing your character sheet.
And yes most of the were was we can call casual players.

So basically the Enhancement Crash drove away those it was aimed at.
Turbine has that big problem they can't understand : a 7 year old game cannot attract hordes of new players, and no change in the system will change that.
So the important thing is player retention, as in keeping those we have happy and smiling.
Enhancement Crash didn't do that.
Enhancement Crash in the way of the old enhancement in a tree form without having to respec ( or with minimal respec and an eventual option for a full respect ) would have done that.

I am a casual player with 40 characters on 2 accounts. Reason I call myself casual is I don't rush to the new content and chew through it. I don't grind the most uber gear. I have yet to complete the ED grind on any one character. What did I do the first week after the Enhancement Pass landed. Rebuilt the 40 characters to fit the new game. Was I happy doing it. NOPE. But I knew I had to do it to play the game. I've played this game for 7 years, I've seen and dealt with all the horrible nerfs before the Enhancement Pass and I will say that yes the Enhancement Pass nerfed some things but man did it buff some other stuff.

Build a Halfling Tempest Kensai with rogue for evasion and see what you can do that was NO WHERE near possible without the enhancement pass.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #71 - Sep 12th, 2013 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 12th, 2013 at 1:27pm:

Yeah, that would have been the smart play. Nobody is broken, and if you want to learn and use the new shinies you can do it at your own pace.

An alternative would have been to give some extra incentive. The +20 heart brings you from a big pain up to only a moderate pain - you still have to figure it out but once you do it's possible to fix it with only a loss of play time.

But they could have turned it into a moderate positive - if they had looked at the lackluster login numbers a week or two out (ohhh, look, we're all the way back up to July's login numbers! Yay!) they could have said "OK, we'll pay you a 100 TP bounty for each character you had before ShadowFail that you respec before October 30". If people will grind favor for TP, they'll certainly learn enhancements, and it might get many people over that hump.

Once they are back in, it's easier to get them to stay in. It's like getting an addict shocked into sobriety to try just one more hit ...

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #72 - Sep 12th, 2013 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Well Warpriest is here on L-Space, and at first look it seems semi-decent...

I'll give it a bigger look saturday.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #73 - Sep 12th, 2013 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Sep 12th, 2013 at 9:52am:
I'm with you, Flav. Not one person in my guild, myself included, has logged into DDO since a month before the Enhancement (no thanks I'll) Pass. Granted our whole guild probably spent less than one of "The Big Boys" here, but we did spend, and many people spending a little each can be a huge market force, that's the whole premise of the f2p model. A model, I might add, widely credited with saving DDO once before.

What baffles me is that they claim it's to help with player retention. What players were leaving that won't because of this?

The die-hards weren't threatening to leave over the old enhancement system, they knew the enhancement system and it was workable.

The current casual players might have frustration with Enhancements, but they would be better served with keeping their characters playable and putting the enhancements in a better UI, and making the character sheet more informative. Making them learn a new system and go through the work of re-speccing a character is a large effort barrier for someone with limited play time, and many didn't cross that barrier.

Or maybe they are targeting new players? Like all the ones they'll pull in from GenConn, Pax, and their advertising campaign? Oh wait, that's right, THEY WEREN'T THERE. The main message non-players hear is the lamentations of the hordes of casual players put through the pointless pain of having every single one of their characters broken.

So what market segment has better retention because of this?

Interesting that it seems that most of the people you know who left because of the Enh Pass seem to have left without even trying it out in live.  I'd argue that people that were that close to leaving anyways were not going to stay much longer.  Change energizes the customer base.  I've seen 5-6 people come back due to the Enh Pass.  They had grown bored with the build options in the old system.  Now they are re-energized.  Is it a net positive or negative?  Will people who came back stay?  Will people who left stay away?  Only time will tell.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #74 - Sep 12th, 2013 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 12th, 2013 at 2:33pm:
Interesting that it seems that most of the people you know who left because of the Enh Pass seem to have left without even trying it out in live.  I'd argue that people that were that close to leaving anyways were not going to stay much longer.  Change energizes the customer base.  I've seen 5-6 people come back due to the Enh Pass.  They had grown bored with the build options in the old system.  Now they are re-energized.  Is it a net positive or negative?  Will people who came back stay?  Will people who left stay away?  Only time will tell.

Oh, you are absolutely correct, the EP was definitely the straw that broke the camel's back, not a thing so horrible it drove them away on its own. For the better part of a year we have talked about moving on but recently we had hope that Rowan was different. We were trying to hang on long enough to give him a chance to show his stuff, but learning a whole new system and a whole new set of bugs was just too daunting.

And maybe it *is* a net gain for Turbine - My whole guild, all real life friends, has probably spent less than what just one serious power gamer would have spent. We did some Back of the Envelope calculations a while ago and figure as a group we've spent a little over $1000 over the last 3-4 years. I get the feeling that some people here spend that much themselves in a single year! If your friends are big spenders Turbine could easily come out ahead.

And none of us have ruled DDO out forever, either. We all have content and account upgrade purchases that will remain, even if our tome purchases have suffered from inflation. This isn't a "Rage Quit" so much as an "Exasperation Leave of Absence". I wouldn't be wasting my time here if I thought we were never returning!

My point was that it was unnecessary. The bored hard cores could have had new build choices through new trees added to a UI that incorporated all of the old trees. Turbine didn't have to chose one or the other, they could have had both.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint