Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Let's go back in time (Read 12663 times)
Ewilan
Waterworks Kobold

Let's go back in time
Sep 5th, 2013 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Hey everyone,

I believe I'm on the safe side to say that, unlike many other MMOs, there won't ever be a server emulator for DDO.

Not only would Turbine not allow it (the players playing there wouldn't be paying and we all know how greedy Turbine is..), but they would also have to provide the Server client, which obviously they would never do. This means it would take some really good programming skills, a lot of time working on it, some funds to keep the server running, once again time to administrate the server, fix possible issues and most importantly a "playerbase".

If it was indeed possible to go back in time, I'm sure opinions would be divided. Some would like to go back to auto-crit, some to the raiding era (after LOB/MA were released), and well, most are probably happy with the way things are.

I'd go back anywhere between U11 (LOB/MA release) & U13 (U12 is the Vaults of the Artificers, U13 is Lords of Dust, the last true "epic item" pack).

Why ?
I really enjoyed those times as LOB was an awesome raid.
Now, almost ALL the loot from the Pre-U14 raids is obsolete, and we have little reason to run these raids.
People still run these raids occasionally, but it's mainly for fun and having something to do while waiting for a better LFM to come up.

So the big question is, how can we go back to these fun times ?
For the reasons already mentionned, it's not possible to start a private server.
However, it is possible to create our own rules and make the game as fun as it used to be back then.

The reason I created this thread is to discuss those very rules with the people that would like this idea - kindly avoid posting if that's not your case.

My ideas:

Gear wise: Everything before MOTU is allowed.
Think about it - back then, Greensteel weapons were very solid, Alchemical were the "new thing" and best weapons (especially for unarmed builds). You had to "craft" these items, and I really loved it that way. Every time you acquired a new piece, you would be a little bit closer to your goal. It would really give you a sense of progression. Now, the items drop "whole" and you completely lose that feeling of accomplishment.
This would mean no more Cleaver or Pinion, but even I, the AA freak would give it up for an alchemical bow if it would make the game more fun. The way I see it, all the post-motu  items are much more powerful. Once you get your pinion, you have no reason to ever run any of the old raids.

Basically, no items after MOTU allowed. Max level item: 20.

The benefits of such a choice: Some of you already have some Greensteel weapons, maybe alchemical ones. Some already have a claw set, or an eSoS, or even dual eChaosblades. Not only would you make use of these items again, but you would still have various goals to pursue. I also think these items were much more balanced and interesting than today's "Random ability items".

Max level: The new feats are interesting and they are part of "builds" now. I believe it would be best to allow everyone to get to level 28 and benefit from these extra feats, hp/saves.

Enhancements wise: No limitations, the new enhancements are a good thing.

Epic Destinies
Besides gear, this is probably the toughest question.
Audience with the queen, Master's Blitz, EIN and Unbridled Fury take a lot of the challenge away...
Let's not forget that the game difficulty increased with MOTU as well.. mobs hit harder and they have more hitpoints.
I think it's fair enough that any passive/active ability in any destiny is allowed (especially to scale with the new DC requirements). As much as it pains me, I would say Epic moments are not to be used.
The game lost most of its challenge. The number of EE solos is proof enough. Look at before MOTU: soloing a quest on epic was very tough and not many people could do it.
Another example is the fact most people used to wait for everyone to get in before starting, or wait for buffs. Now people shortman everything.

I loved how only well organized groups would succeed in some raids, and when a solid raid leader was important. Team work, organized and smart gameplay and chance of failure made it so much more fun.

Now, not only do you never fail raids, but your reward isn't worth anything. The last raid I did was a von5/6. People were absolutely not organized (doesn't matter), none of the mechanics of the raid endangered the group at any time (eggs, fire breaths are a complete joke), and we beat on her for about 1 or 2 minutes in order to get loot that interested no one (people got a few shards now and there but these items (besides eSoS) are so obsolete I don't see how anyone would make use of them). That's not really my idea of fun.

Remember when the game was so much more challenging and difficult ?

Twists
I believe most twists should be allowed. However, having cocoon on a melee build doesn't seem right as it doesn't encourage team work. Learning to trust in your healer can be difficult, but it makes it more challenging as well when you are in a real "raid group", not just 12 people with everyone for himself.

On a short term, I can imagine a group of people gathering online for raids with level 20 items max for some challenge added.
On a long term, I can see a few people enjoying the old greensteel/alchemical crafting

Anyway, that's just me not enjoying DDO as much as I used to, and looking at the good old times.
Since Turbine doesn't seem capable to give us a proper endgame, what do you think about making some rules like this ?
If this idea interests you, what rules would you like to have ?

Thanks for reading, and please, discuss.

Sith
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2013 at 2:28pm by Ewilan »  

IP Logged

NOTdarth
Puppy Farmer

Save the Planet, Kill
Yourself

Re: Let's go back in time
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Ewilan wrote on Sep 5th, 2013 at 2:28pm:
Twists

I believe most twists should be allowed. However, having cocoon on a melee build doesn't seem right as it doesn't encourage team work. Learning to trust in your healer can be difficult, but it makes it more challenging as well when you are in a real "raid group", not just 12 people with everyone for himself.

Eat shit. Most healers suck so fucking learn how to take care of your own fucking red bar.

Cocoon is the best thing DDO ever implemented.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
I think you'll get much better drama posting this on the DDO forums.

I can't say I disagree with anything you're saying.  The only thing I'd throw in there is the new defense system is also fucking retarded.

EE Raids still can fail, but the incentive to run them on EE is so small there's little reason to do so.

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Let's go all the way back...

... all the way to launch. Only four enhancment slots, level 10 cap, no raids other then TS, and a +5 weapon made you uber.

I mean, hell, if we're gonna go back - might as well start from square one.

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Regarding epic moments . . . I think the game's adjusted for this now.  saves re such that EiN isn't OTT and 250-350k red-names make unbridled manyshot much less potent.

Blitz is still blitz.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Interesting idea.  Basically a variation on what PermaDeath players do.  Ignore the parts of the game that don't appeal to them or make the game less fun.  I kinda like it.  It would be interesting to see a group of toons with only max ML 20 gear running eGH, MoTU, High Road, and Shadowfell quests. 

I'd argue it would be OK to include the FoT and CiTW loot, but ONLY the raid loot.  Nothing else from MoTU or from eGH.  That's not a lot of items.  I guess the problem would be that CiTW pretty much invalidates LoB since both CiTW and LoB are weapons loot raids.  Which sucks because LoB is the more fun raid.  Maybe allow FoT loot then, but nothing else.  There's only 7 items, 4 weapons, and 1 shield. 

Just because raiding is fun and more raids are better than fewer raids. 
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2013 at 3:03pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Ewilan
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
NOTdarth wrote on Sep 5th, 2013 at 2:47pm:
Eat shit. Most healers suck so fucking learn how to take care of your own fucking red bar.

Eat shit yourself. You don't need cocoon to survive. It's just such an easy button and tbh raiding doesn't feel like a 12 man group anymore but a bunch of soloers.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
NOTdarth wrote on Sep 5th, 2013 at 2:47pm:

Disagree.  It's the worst idea since unlimited mana.  Makes the game stupid easy and removes any need for grouping.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Ewilan wrote on Sep 5th, 2013 at 3:04pm:
Eat shit yourself. You don't need cocoon to survive. It's just such an easy button and tbh raiding doesn't feel like a 12 man group anymore but a bunch of soloers.

I gotta ask . . . how does it feel considering so many of your builds were copied specifically for this purpose?

IP Logged

Ewilan
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 5th, 2013 at 3:02pm:
Interesting idea.  Basically a variation on what PermaDeath players do.  Ignore the parts of the game that don't appeal to them or make the game less fun.  I kinda like it.  It would be interesting to see a group of toons with only max ML 20 gear running eGH, MoTU, High Road, and Shadowfell quests. 

I'd argue it would be OK to include the FoT and CiTW loot, but ONLY the raid loot.  Nothing else from MoTU or from eGH.  That's not a lot of items.  I guess the problem would be that CiTW pretty much invalidates LoB since both CiTW and LoB are weapons loot raids.  Which sucks because LoB is the more fun raid.  Maybe allow FoT loot then, but nothing else.  There's only 7 items, 4 weapons, and 1 shield. 

Just because raiding is fun and more raids are better than fewer raids. 

Thanks for your valuable comment Asheras.
As you mentionned, I see this as some kind of permadeath. The core idea is the same (make the game more challenging and more fun than it is) but the way to get there different.

Also, I like the idea of FoT items being accepted, as none are that amazing. This also makes use of the commendations (in order to slot these very items or upgrade them) that drop out of CITW. So basically every raid becomes worth running.

And imagine as well how much more challenging it would be..
As it is, it would still be way too easy to solo EE, especially on a monkish type with double stuns, insane survivability and well.. alchem handwraps being what they are.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 5th, 2013 at 3:02pm:
It would be interesting to see a group of toons with only max ML 20 gear running eGH, MoTU, High Road, and Shadowfell quests. 

it's not as bad as you'd think, a bunch of us Elite-Streaked Gianthold at level 20 a few months back and it was a ton of fun.  of course these were multiple-life toons with maxed of close to maxed EDs.

That said EE WGU at 20 would be surreal.   Cheesy

IP Logged

Ewilan
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #11 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Sep 5th, 2013 at 3:09pm:
I gotta ask . . . how does it feel considering so many of your builds were copied specifically for this purpose?

I like challenge. So long as soloing provided a challenge for me, I kept building for it and shared, like many others, my build ideas.
I'm at a point where I've pretty much done everything and even though I have barely played in 5 months, I am now looking in other ways to bring back some challenge and fun.

Now that soloing isn't as challenging, I certainly would like to play again in the LOB era, where raiding was something fun that you did as a group.

Think about it this way. When everyone play in groups to complete a dungeon/raid, being a solo player means you are able to do the same things they do on your own. Challenge, fun, pride..

But when everyone is able to solo EE and very little challenge remains, you try to find a new way to make the game fun again. Or you stop playing. It's been 5 months now, and I like to think this idea could bring as much fun as in the past.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #12 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
I wish you the best of luck in your endevour, but it's kinda ignoring the reality that many (if not most) gamers play to better their toons. 

Not having access to certain baubles and trinkets will wear thin after a while.  I mean seriously, how many time will people run EE LOB to put tier 1 spirits before they say fuck it?

you can't go back, unfortunately as I agree the game was better back then.

IP Logged

Lurp
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
I would agree with Memnir. If I was going to play some old version of this game, it would be the launch one. Or at least when the cap was still 10 but at least have mailboxes and some other convenience things like shared banks.

IP Logged

Laraeph
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #14 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Sep 5th, 2013 at 3:19pm:
That said EE WGU at 20 would be surreal.   Cheesy

You can thank Turbine for adding ML to epic quests.
I couldn't enter any stormhorn quest, just on EH, at level 23. Clicking "ok" on the quest panel did nothing. No teleport, no error message, nothing.
Had to exploit my way in.

Same thing for EE GH at lvl 20.
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2013 at 5:05pm by Laraeph »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #15 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Memnir wrote on Sep 5th, 2013 at 2:51pm:

... all the way to launch. Only four enhancment slots, level 10 cap, no raids other then TS, and a +5 weapon made you uber.

I mean, hell, if we're gonna go back - might as well start from square one.

Oh yeah !!! But make Irestone and Stormcleave a Raid too.

Honestly I'll go to Velah though... Dungeons and Dragons without any dragon seems so weak.

Edit :
it was the time when Retribution and the Threnalian Warblade were uber weapons...
it was the time when farming involved running uncounted times Giant's Cave in Threnal
it was the time when you were trying hard to get full parties as you were trying quests 3 or 4 levels higher than your level. ( instead of trying to solo quests two level lower than your levle on elite )
it was a time when you actually were careful in quests ( death penalty was hard ).
But it was a time when you had fun in all the pugs ( well you had fun in any party at that time )
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2013 at 5:59pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Memnir wrote on Sep 5th, 2013 at 2:51pm:

Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na Batman.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #17 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
I agree.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #18 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Sep 5th, 2013 at 6:09pm:
Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na Batman.

Never had a Batman build. Probably because I was not into uber optimization at the time either.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #19 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
motherfucker my photobucket ran out of bandwith.

RIP bird feeding a dog avatar Sad

IP Logged

whothefuckami
Stormreaver Piker

Oppan Gangnam Style

Reply #20 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
There's no setting like old epic in the game files now. There's only EE (kinda need at least an OK destiny) or EH (so easy a retarded monkey can run it without a destiny).

Troll account, please ignore

IP Logged

RandomName
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Speaking of the LoB/MA era, one thing I always wanted to see under the old AC system is mobs getting to-hit penalties for 2nd+ hits.  So the AC toons (SD/DoS/acMonk) wouldn't be hit by the first blow as before, but if everybody else could reasonably defend against the next 3 shots.... then we'll have a real AC system.

Yes yes that would involve number crunching and more ways to get meaningful AC without borking the system the other way.

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #22 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
I wish they would set up a server for LOB era.....the game was more fun for me then.

Don't get me wrong, I still have fun now....just some of these abilities feel cheap....really +400% damage basically unlimited uses per rest in fury? sigh.....also the combat changes....bleh, they just needed to adjust AC/to hit numbers for players/mobs.....but now it doesn't matter 'cause super inflation.

Terebinthia wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:26pm:
the Wayward Lobster is a retard petting zoo.

IP Logged

whothefuckami
Stormreaver Piker

Oppan Gangnam Style

Reply #23 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Oh and yeah back to U12 days would be perfect.

Troll account, please ignore

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Reply #24 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
whothefuckami wrote on Sep 5th, 2013 at 8:06pm:
Oh and yeah back to U12 days would be perfect.

Yeah, you are mostly responding to dead posts from that era...

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint