Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hearthstone (Read 516 times)
sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Hearthstone
Sep 15th, 2013 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Got into the beta a few days ago and JESUS FUCK is it addictive Cheesy Started playing late Thursday and I'm somewhere around 40 hours in Grin

If anyone else from Europe gets in the beta feel free to hit me up Tongue

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Hearthstone
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Why am I overdoing it with the emoticons I HATE THAT THERE IS NO EDIT BUTTON

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
There is an edit button. But sometimes you have to go up (where "Home" "help" "Search" and click on renew session or something like that.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Update Session

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Wait...it's a card game??

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Ah, thanks, was wondering where the button went lol, silly YaBB

Yeah, it's basically a CCG (since there's no trading involved, cards are bound to account) with both constructed play (boring, especially since you need to spend $$ to construct worthwhile decks) and a draft mode called the Arena (main competitive part of the game, and it's pretty fun).

Dunno, playing a card game on your computer sounds kinda silly in theory, but it's pretty well done and you don't have to lug around actual cards and you can instantly hook up with people and get your fix Cheesy

If you've ever enjoyed a CCG/TCG you should definitely give it a go
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2013 at 7:08pm by sweez »  

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
sweez wrote on Sep 15th, 2013 at 7:07pm:
If you've ever enjoyed a CCG/TCG you should definitely give it a go

Send me a beta key invite via refer a friend.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2013 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Doesn't that only work for WoW starter editions and such?

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2013 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
sweez wrote on Oct 24th, 2013 at 4:59pm:
Doesn't that only work for WoW starter editions and such?

By coincidence, received a beta invite on Friday. I'll get setup and check it out this week.

Any tips for me to get started in game?

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Oct 28th, 2013 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Yes, don't buy booster packs (unless you plan to spend cash on them), spend all your gold on arena runs since you get a pack for every arena run anyway. Unlock all the classes and beat all the expert AIs to get some easy gold, and check out some cheap deck builds since your first attempts will most likely be horrible, I know mine were Cheesy

Oh and read arena guides if you want to have a chance at getting good runs, but expect to suck at your first few runs even if you read tham all Smiley

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #10 - Oct 28th, 2013 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Sweez, thanks.

So far, I've watched one hearthstone overview video on YouTube.
Glanced at a couple of wikis.
Basically, totally new and zero knowledge.

So you are recommending I do the practice first against AI and unlock heroes?
Then play arena matches?

Where can I get good information on basic deck builds, or what the current meta game is?
Do you have a go to link/pages? Haven't searched the official forums yet.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Oct 29th, 2013 at 5:20am
Print Post  
There are some discussions/builds on the official forums, there's hearthpwn.com with a bunch of deck builds (a lot of them outdated but you can sort by submission date), there's ihearthu.com ran by Trump and Artosis with a bunch of features and guides, there's a hearthstone hub here http://bit.ly/16ivOnO, and Team Liquid also has a section: http://bit.ly/16ivSE0.

That's pretty much it for written materials that I know of, I'm sure there's a bunch of YouTube vids by famous people (I know Husky, Day9 and ZiggyD have made some), plus a shitload of Twitch streams.

Edit: I know the names of more youtube personalities than people who live in my building, should I be worried or proud? Cheesy
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2013 at 5:22am by sweez »  

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #12 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 3:19am
Print Post  
sweez wrote on Oct 29th, 2013 at 5:20am:
Edit: I know the names of more youtube personalities than people who live in my building, should I be worried or proud? Cheesy

The names you know share the same interests, who cares about the people in your building? Smiley

I originally signed up for the beta the last Sunday durin US labor day when DDO went down.
Got my invite end of October, but haven't checked it out.

Thanks to today's power outage (on a Sunday again), I finally activated my key and DL the game.

The tutorial started me with a Mage deck, and that went well enough. Last match against Illidian I thought I was going to lose.

Went to practice mode and chose warlock as first opponent. I lost, but leveled to 2.
Rematch, I won, unlocked warlock and leveled to 3. Decided to stick with Mage for now, I saw a box that said I have 14/20 basic cards unlocked. Is that for all decks or Mage?

3rd match, I chose Mage vs Mage. Lost, but gained some xp.
Rematch and I won, leveled and received a quest to get any hero to 10.

Is there any point to level each hero in practice mode? Or should I just unlock the hero deck I want and solely level that?
If I can level each hero up, is it better to level each one, or level them up the same time by changing decks every match?

After unlocking each hero, you recommend I do Play matches or Arena?

What hero deck do you like?

First impressions:
The game looks slick and was easy to learn. I can see how the more you know every deck and card in them, the better your chances.
The card, heroes, characters are familiar if you have played WoW.
I have yet to touch booster packs and crafting.
I am looking forward to the tablet/iPad version.

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #13 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 2:33am
Print Post  
sweez wrote on Sep 15th, 2013 at 3:14pm:
Got into the beta a few days ago and JESUS FUCK is it addictive Cheesy Started playing late Thursday and I'm somewhere around 40 hours in Grin

So, tonight was second night where I gave it a good time block of playtime.

Accomplishments:
Got the Mage deck to level 10 and unlocked all the basic Mage cards 20/20.
Earned a new quest (complete one Play match); haven't done.
Unlocked a few more classes, have 3 more to go.

I did a quick search and found that in practice mode, once you get to 10 with a hero deck, might as well switch over to a new hero deck and level that to 10. Not much benefit leveling a deck past 10.

So I switched over to the warlock and now I'm level 2.

The plan would be to stay in practice mode, unlock all classes, and get each one to 10 so I will have the basic cards for each class. Then go try Play mode. Then I think by then Arena should be unlocked, and Sweez mentioned that's the place to be.

Only problem for me, practice mode and leveling each deck to 10 is getting repetitive, and I've only done one so far!
Not sure if it's boring because it's practice, and I'm playing the AI.
Also, I haven't felt or caught the feeling of "Hooked", as in, drawn in and getting addicted. Again, maybe this will change once I play people online.

I'll try to stick to the plan and get all classes unlocked. We'll see about getting each one to 10!?

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #14 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 2:42am
Print Post  
Wanted to add that the tutorial got me interested, it felt like progression and accomplishing things.
Practice and leveling to 10 feels grindy.

« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2013 at 2:44am by FakeStrake »  

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 3:19am:
Went to practice mode and chose warlock as first opponent. I lost, but leveled to 2.
Rematch, I won, unlocked warlock and leveled to 3. Decided to stick with Mage for now, I saw a box that said I have 14/20 basic cards unlocked. Is that for all decks or Mage?

Each class has a set of 20 basic cards that you unlock by getting them to level 10. After that you get golden basic cards for leveling, the rest you have to get in boosters/arena.
Quote:
Is there any point to level each hero in practice mode? Or should I just unlock the hero deck I want and solely level that?

It's your choice whether to level each class to 10 in practice mode or live games, but it's probably better to stick to practice games until you collect all the basic cards, since otherwise your decks will be pretty bad.

Quote:
If I can level each hero up, is it better to level each one, or level them up the same time by changing decks every match?

Doesn't really make any difference, it's probably faster to level one class to 10 since you don't have to change decks etc.

Quote:
After unlocking each hero, you recommend I do Play matches or Arena?

Play vs. AI until you unlock basics. Then play some matches vs. actual people until you get the hang of how most people use the basic cards, you need to have some basic metagame knowledge to have any chance in the arena (alternatively you could just watch streams and learn that way if that's your preference). You *do* get a free arena entry once you unlock all the heroes (I think), but it's still better to have some idea of what you're doing before entering, since the only way to get in the arena again is to spend gold, and having enough gold to sustain arena entry fees requires going for at least 7 wins somewhat consistently. Unless you want to spend 2 bucks per arena in which case it doesn't really matter.

Quote:
What hero deck do you like?

Me? In constructed I'm much more comfortable with aggro decks for some reason so I mostly play rogue and warlock rush decks, pally is also very good for that but I'm missing some cards. In the arena, druid is my favorite by far - it's really hard to build a decent aggro deck in the arena, so some control is always good, and druid cards are just crazy versatile.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Nov 20th, 2013 at 2:42am:
Wanted to add that the tutorial got me interested, it felt like progression and accomplishing things.
Practice and leveling to 10 feels grindy.

Yeah, getting each class to 10 is the most painful part of the game, since it requires playing against AI a lot OR playing against other people but with crappy decks missing some very basic cards. It gets better after that.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Nov 20th, 2013 at 2:33am:
Only problem for me, practice mode and leveling each deck to 10 is getting repetitive, and I've only done one so far!
Not sure if it's boring because it's practice, and I'm playing the AI.

Well, for me it was that - once I started playing other people, especially in the arena, I got hooked. Even with the very limited chat system (you can basically just use emotes unless you're talking to someone on your friends list), it's still completely different to playing vs. AI.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2013 at 4:59pm by sweez »  

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #18 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 12:43am
Print Post  
sweez wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 4:55pm:
Yeah, getting each class to 10 is the most painful part of the game, since it requires playing against AI a lot OR playing against other people but with crappy decks missing some very basic cards. It gets better after that.

Thanks, sweez.

I'll at least unlock all the heroes, then maybe get a couple heroes to 10 and unlock their basic cards.
I'll save the free arena entry til later.

Playing against the warrior deck, it seemed more direct damage oriented. First time, the AI decimated me. Next rematch, I won. Made me wonder how much of a factor luck-of-the-draw plays.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 7:06am
Print Post  
Luck of the draw is a pretty big factor, mitigated by building decks on a sensible mana curve and by mulliganing aggresively.

Even at the high end people can lose a game due to a crappy draw, but that's card games for you Cheesy

IP Logged

Lousypher
Korthos Resident

Delusions of Grandeur

Reply #20 - Dec 6th, 2013 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Boo Europe Beta was hoping to play against someone here  Sad

IP Logged

Sergod
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Dec 7th, 2013 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Zonixx plays this now. www.twitch.tv/goodideagaming

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Lousypher wrote on Dec 6th, 2013 at 10:55pm:
Boo Europe Beta was hoping to play against someone here  Sad

I'm playing EU, funny that we're getting the patch a day late compared to the US client Grin even blizzard hates eurotrash Cry

IP Logged

Lousypher
Korthos Resident

Delusions of Grandeur

Reply #23 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
sweez wrote on Dec 10th, 2013 at 5:54pm:
I'm playing EU, funny that we're getting the patch a day late compared to the US client Grin even blizzard hates eurotrash Cry

Consider yourself lucky my class just got raped hardcore. Poor Hunter...i didnt even play it cheesy OTK style

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Dec 11th, 2013 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Hunters kinda sucked even before the patch, but at least they had UTH to counter freeze decks, now they're just kinda useless Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint