Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Theory I heard regarding Sarlona and the Devs (Read 14845 times)
GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Re: Theory I heard regarding Sarlona and the Devs
Reply #25 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Oct 7th, 2013 at 6:20pm:
What they are bad at is having enough time and/or resources to QA such a massive project.

Etc.

I essentiually said that I have no faith that they are doing the things that they should be.  If I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that they can't afford to be doing the things that they should be.

So we're in agreement then?

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #26 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
YaBB

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #27 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
YaBB!

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #28 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
YAAAAAAABBBBBB

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Not defending them... just explaining that it is not as black and white as some of you think it is

In this particular case, it IS very black and white.  The situation came about specifically due to a very particular bug fix that likely involved changing one or two variables in a single line.  They CLEARLY implemented the fix without testing it.

IP Logged

Selee
Abbot Raider

Reply #30 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Oct 7th, 2013 at 6:30pm:
YAAAAAAABBBBBB

WIIIILLLLMMMMAAAA!!!!
*POUND* *POUND* *POUND* *POUND* *POUND* *POUND* *POUND*

I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. - Ronald Reagan
Nice is for cowards and democrats - Red

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Developers don't play their own game like customers do.

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Reply #32 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Selee wrote on Oct 7th, 2013 at 8:17pm:
WIIIILLLLMMMMAAAA!!!!
*POUND* *POUND* *POUND* *POUND* *POUND* *POUND* *POUND*

Bwahaha!!!!  Love it...

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
You can't just test "everything"* and code everything to a "best practice" unless you have tons and tons of resources...

Which is fine. But the problem is they get told about bugs on Lama which end up making it to Live. Sometimes after acknowledging the bug.

Then there are the times they release content to Live without having tested it anywhere except their internal build.

IP Logged

totally
DQ Assaulter

Reply #34 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 6:13am
Print Post  
HairyO wrote on Oct 7th, 2013 at 8:42pm:
Which is fine. But the problem is they get told about bugs on Lama which end up making it to Live. Sometimes after acknowledging the bug.

Then there are the times they release content to Live without having tested it anywhere except their internal build.

Unfortunately, once a code-base is built, packaged and pushed out to the test server quite often the time it would take to actually fix the issue in that release is too great in order to fit the release schedule. The bugs will be prioritised, and then fitted into the long backlog of defects that the developers need to deal with. The priority is not always transparent to us, because it will be set by business priority rather than developer, or player priority, hence why egregious (to you or I) bugs make it into production.

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #35 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 7:12am
Print Post  
In my opinion, this code was not put in on purpose.  It is just shitty coding and shitty testing by the coders.

We have all seen it time and time again from Turbine.  Turbine never tests the extremes. 

Here is what happened.

1.  Stacks existed LONG before bags did.  We had stacks of arrows but no quivers and collectable bags/gem bags did not even exist.

BAM.  Since bags did not exist, crap code for stacks of arrows and collectables that did not take into account this possiblity was written and not tested for something that did not exist.

2.  You had stacks of arrows and you could stack returning weapons that were the EXACT same.  You had stacks of gems and stacks of collectables sitting in your inventory, but nothing to stash them in.

Since bags did not exist, the crap code still exists and works, so it isn't tested.  You could freely move stacks from inventory to bank and back.  Worked great.

3.  Bags were created.  Still no quivers.  People complained about not having quivers and people complained about having to ALWAYS click on the bag in your inventory to gather stuff.  Most players had the bags on their short cut bars to click after every chest.

The crap code still exists.  But there have been stacking issues such as items disappearing, some code is added.  But not really tested on the extreme limitations, which is how Turbine does it.  Turbine does around three very general tests, and moves on.

4.  Quivers added and Auto Gather added.  Now, this is when better testing should have occurred, but it didn't.  Why?  Stacks had been working for years.  The gather feature of bags had been working for one year.

My bet, this feature has been around a long time, and just recently stumbled upon.

I know quite a few of us have written code and worked on teams that wrote code.  I can guarantee you that the only time I tested other people's code was when they asked me.  Which was rarely due to people having fragile egos.

Or their programs were assigned to me to be fixed.  Whenever I was given someone else's program(s), I rewrote most of them.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2013 at 7:14am by notajedi »  

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #36 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 8:22am
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 7:12am:
My bet, this feature has been around a long time, and just recently stumbled upon.

Wrong, until u19, this exact process caused items to be wiped.

That was the functionality for years.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #37 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 8:22am:
Wrong, until u19, this exact process caused items to be wiped.

That was the functionality for years.

This as you've already pointed out - http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1381175316/7#7

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #38 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Oct 7th, 2013 at 3:48pm:
So, the scuttlebutt is that most Devs play on Sarlona.

The scuttlebutt also says this method was created by a Dev as their own private duping method that, apparently, "escaped from the bottle."

Funny how this dupe seems to have started on that server.

If this is true, well...

I heard that one, too; but I call shenanigans.  The admin UI means they don't have to do such an arcane handful of steps.

...unless the admin UI also automatically adds their admin tags when they're using it.  In which case, I'm wrong.  carry on.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #39 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 9:40am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Oct 7th, 2013 at 7:49pm:
In this particular case, it IS very black and white.  The situation came about specifically due to a very particular bug fix that likely involved changing one or two variables in a single line.  They CLEARLY implemented the fix without testing it. 

But they would NEVER do such a thing.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #40 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 9:43am
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 7:12am:
In my opinion, this code was not put in on purpose.  It is just shitty coding and shitty testing by the coders.

We have all seen it time and time again from Turbine.  Turbine never tests the extremes. 

Here is what happened.

1.  Stacks existed LONG before bags did.  We had stacks of arrows but no quivers and collectable bags/gem bags did not even exist.

BAM.  Since bags did not exist, crap code for stacks of arrows and collectables that did not take into account this possiblity was written and not tested for something that did not exist.

2.  You had stacks of arrows and you could stack returning weapons that were the EXACT same.  You had stacks of gems and stacks of collectables sitting in your inventory, but nothing to stash them in.

Since bags did not exist, the crap code still exists and works, so it isn't tested.  You could freely move stacks from inventory to bank and back.  Worked great.

3.  Bags were created.  Still no quivers.  People complained about not having quivers and people complained about having to ALWAYS click on the bag in your inventory to gather stuff.  Most players had the bags on their short cut bars to click after every chest.

The crap code still exists.  But there have been stacking issues such as items disappearing, some code is added.  But not really tested on the extreme limitations, which is how Turbine does it.  Turbine does around three very general tests, and moves on.

4.  Quivers added and Auto Gather added.  Now, this is when better testing should have occurred, but it didn't.  Why?  Stacks had been working for years.  The gather feature of bags had been working for one year.

I know quite a few of us have written code and worked on teams that wrote code.  I can guarantee you that the only time I tested other people's code was when they asked me.  Which was rarely due to people having fragile egos.

Or their programs were assigned to me to be fixed.  Whenever I was given someone else's program(s), I rewrote most of them.

Could it be they were working on the elusive 64-year-old bank-eats-items bug and made this mistake?

oh, wait - Turbine

IP Logged

CosmicCharlie
Shroud Slacker

How do you do?

Reply #41 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 11:30am
Print Post  
i like pie

can i put pie in meh bag? or will it soften and melt and like get all messy and mix around with the other stuffs in meh bag?

IP Logged

JustOneGuy
Korthos Resident

Reply #42 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Oct 7th, 2013 at 7:49pm:

Or more likely they tested it with just 2 items, or moving half of the stack.  That's the sort of thing that slips through, honestly.

IP Logged

JustOneGuy
Korthos Resident

Reply #43 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Oct 7th, 2013 at 3:48pm:
So, the scuttlebutt is that most Devs play on Sarlona.

The scuttlebutt also says this method was created by a Dev as their own private duping method that, apparently, "escaped from the bottle."

Funny how this dupe seems to have started on that server.

If this is true, well...

And as to the OP, this is stupid.  You can start by asking yourself why it would matter in the slightest which server the privately duping dev was using.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #44 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
JustOneGuy wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:18pm:
And as to the OP, this is stupid.  You can start by asking yourself why it would matter in the slightest which server the privately duping dev was using.

Process of deduction - original rumor was this all started on Sarlona... keep up.

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #45 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
I have a friend who is a behind-scenes-dev and as of a year ago his buddies were playing on another server - don't remember which one but it definitely wasn't on Sarlona.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #46 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
JustOneGuy wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:18pm:

You are dumb.

karatekid wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:38pm:
Process of deduction - original rumor was this all started on Sarlona... keep up.

You are not dumb.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #47 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:03pm:
You are dumb.

You are not dumb.

LOL - I'm reposting that in P&R during our next argument.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #48 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:50pm
Print Post  

Well all the hints points to it starting on Sarlona.

Now that doesn't mean any dev play there... except for those that officially said they play there.

now, as far as I can tell it reached G-Land pretty late in the process and only became obvious late on Monday ( for me ).

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

JustOneGuy
Korthos Resident

Reply #49 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:54pm
Print Post  

You're an idiot.

Are you suggesting that a dev who wanted a personal item-dup feature was flooding the AH and ASAH?  Or do you think it "got out of the bottle" because someone was standing over his shoulder watching him do it, or he bragged about it in server?  No, someone tried to test out the bugfix, most likely.  Or they did it by accident, the same way the people who found the bank-deletion-bug did in the first place.

Seriously, if a dev DID do this intentionally, what server he played on would have no impact on what server the first massive exploiters played on.  That "tidbit" is therefore just a juicy tidbit to get your tinfoil hat moving in the right direction.  And since it's completely unverifiable, it's even more obviously red-herring bullshit to get the conspiracy theorists one more "coincidence" to hang onto.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint