Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Lurkers (Read 6912 times)
OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Lurkers
Oct 7th, 2013 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
I see them piling up here again...  60 or so on now...

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

Nope
Dragon Raider

Nada

Re: Lurkers
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
I lurk all the time.

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Nope wrote on Oct 7th, 2013 at 7:42pm:
I lurk all the time.

Peeping Tom is a felony in some states...  But I was really referring to the guest count.  Hi, welcome anyway...

One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
OnePercenter wrote on Oct 7th, 2013 at 7:26pm:
I see them piling up here again...  60 or so on now... 

I've heard multiple non-vaulties say, "the 'sploit is right on the vault"

I think that may have something to do with it..

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Oct 7th, 2013 at 8:26pm:

But the emperor has no clothes!  Good catch, Meat!

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Oct 7th, 2013 at 8:26pm:

I need to get my spam count up so I can sit at the big kids table.

IP Logged

Rincewind
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
gl with that hairyo hahaha i just give up, on it i rather ask a guildy hgahahaha ;p

IP Logged

Rincewind
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
they should give an award for any stupid reason and give some of us acces  to it, i can dance  Cheesy

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 2:41am
Print Post  
HairyO wrote on Oct 7th, 2013 at 8:44pm:
I need to get my spam count up so I can sit at the big kids table.

Now it's time to mention that the 'sploit is not in the big kid table, but as a quest said it quite well :

Hiding in Plain Sight.

Now you can look for it.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 3:56am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 2:41am:
Now it's time to mention that the 'sploit is not in the big kid table, but as a quest said it quite well :

Hiding in Plain Sight.

Now you can look for it.

More, blind people of the Vault, lol..

Btw, even though there was no fix, since turbine is actively looking into suspicious activity, I would'nt advise it atm.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 4:11am
Print Post  
Yeah, there's probably GMs hanging on top of all the banks checking what people that stay there too long are doing.

*shrug* I'm at work anyway, won't be in-game for another 8ish hours.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 4:11am:
Yeah, there's probably GMs hanging on top of all the banks checking what people that stay there too long are doing.

*shrug* I'm at work anyway, won't be in-game for another 8ish hours.

Can they watch guild ships? Even if they can, are they?

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #12 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 2:41am:
Now it's time to mention that the 'sploit is not in the big kid table...

Right - it hit the public area first.  Language and good taste aside, the Vault ain't quite what everyone thinks it is Cheesy

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 10:31am
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 10:23am:
the Vault's Fight Club ain't quite what everyone thinks it is Cheesy

fify

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 10:32am
Print Post  
I just take joy in my decision to leave right before the expansion.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #15 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 10:31am:
fify

true statement

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #16 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Holy fuck meat - they are watching ALL the banks, except the TR bank because they cannot view it as they can your other banks. This means they are even watching the fucking bank and inventory tabs you bought off the store. Fucking crazy, right?

I see why rest is getting so annoyed with you.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #17 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Meat, what about BANKed levels? Can they watch that?

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #18 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
OnePercenter wrote on Oct 7th, 2013 at 7:56pm:
Peeping Tom is a felony in some states...  But I was really referring to the guest count.  Hi, welcome anyway...

at least he ain't a stalker.

IP Logged

Theft
Korthos Resident

Habitual.0

Reply #19 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 10:13am
Print Post  
DOOM!

Theft . Judaah
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings. - Diogenes of Sinope

IP Logged

Rawel
Korthos Resident

Cuss,cuss,cuss.

Reply #20 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 10:46am
Print Post  
I would so love to know what they can watch? For a proper company I'd assume you could turn on logging for any given transaction and could even log creation of items and such like. Of course with turbine it might just be they need a GM sitting at the bank in house K.Cheesy

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #21 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Depends on the logs activated...

In something as complex as a MMO they have to have debug hookups like there is on a router, with logs that can be activated by command/configuration parameter.

After that it's knowing how verbose the logs are, and if they are complete or not.

If I was them the first thing I do was to make a few SQL queries in the database to look at who put all those items on the AH.
That would give a first list of suspects. They are the top suspects, there's probably one or two poor sods that were putting legit items in it, but they are probably rare.

Then I would make another query to hunt for bags filled with stacks of 1000/2500 orbs and 1000/2500 scales. ( depends on the bag size ).
That's the second list of suspects. They are the secondary ones, by checking both lists you will find
sure cases of dupers ( those that put stuff on the AH and have stacks of 1000s of scales )

The third list is going to be difficult to get and would require as Chai put it some datamining.
That's the list of those who duped, but didn't fill stacks, didn't fill bags and didn't put anything on AH/ASAH.
That's the list of those that duped the commodities they needed to get the items they wanted without having to rely on retarted drop rates.
( honestly if I had had 3 Yellow Dopants I would definitely have duped it to 50ish, so that I could deconstruct all the greensteel shit I have to deconstruct, sadly I didn't have any Yellow Dopant and I woved not to buy any.  )

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #22 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Rawel wrote on Oct 9th, 2013 at 10:46am:
I would so love to know what they can watch? For a proper company I'd assume you could turn on logging for any given transaction and could even log creation of items and such like. Of course with turbine it might just be they need a GM sitting at the bank in house K.Cheesy

Logging's always a challenge where performance is concerned, AND the F2P model (nor the ASAH) were nowhere NEAR on the minds of the original developers.

I speculate back in the day, Turbine made the decision to minimize logging vs. building in and tuning the logging to go alongside actual gameplay (why would they need such detailed levels of logging?).

F2P increased the necessity for logging, because exploits then became more than a nuisance - they affected the bottom line.  The ASAH multiplies that criticality now.

I am not defending Turbine, but I am betting bolting on logging now to be as inclusive as it should be, given the increased risk, would create significantly more horrid performance than already exists.

Corporate-think right now is likely something like "it would introduce MORE risk to the bottom line if the game drove players away because it was nigh unplayable than it does to clean up after exploits after the fact."

TL;DR It is likely infeasible to crank logging up now, even if they wanted to.

It would, though, be an interesting thought exercise to go through what we know (from support ticket experiences, etc) about their logging.

Rest already called out their inability to see much going on in one storage mechanism... we know they can see instance switches... and so on.

IP Logged

SwashbucklerHater
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
I am not sure why they shouldn't be able to watch the TR bank. You don't want to let a GM login and go through all this by hand ingame anyways and as soon as there is someone going through this stuff with the database the TR bank shouldn't be hidden.

I know that GMs usually can't help with TR bank problems, but I really hope they are letting developers deal with that mess and they should be able to see everything when working with the database.
They should have scripts running at the database to gather suspicious accounts anyways and it would be very strange if the TR bank could hide from such scripts/queries.

And that's my main problem with this exploit. Instead of closing the AH right away and shutting down the servers for 1-2 days they let the exploit spread more and more and now they are wasting time of the developers to check accounts instead of developing new stuff or fixing bugs.

Yeah one could also blame the people who used the exploit and cause this trouble for the developers/GMs, but as soon as you see that an exploit is going to spread in forums and already some people are doing very crazy stuff you don't want to let the game running any further with this exploit.

And I really hope that after they are finished banning accounts that there is going to be an investigation who fucked up at Turbine and how to prevent that something like this is happening again.
You can't prevent that such bugs are getting on the live client but you should react faster when you see such an exploit is getting public and starts spreading.

Even closing the banks would have been an option if you don't want to shut down the servers. Yeah many players are going crazy if they have important stuff in the bank but most really important stuff to play your toons is not in the bank anyways.
But maybe it's just me and I have some very rare style of organizing my bank and inventory.
I also have some important stuff in the bank but I could easily survive some days in ddo without access to my character bank.
The only real problem would be toons undergoing a TR without access to their equipment every few levels. But in worst case they could just abandon elite streak and go with hard streak, then they wouldn't need most of the equipment in the bank anyways, unless they were level 1-4 when closing the bank. But they would have the option to just play another toon.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #24 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
SwashbucklerHater wrote on Oct 9th, 2013 at 1:19pm:
I am not sure why they shouldn't be able to watch the TR bank

I have a theory on that.

First time I tr'ed - not knowing what I was doing - I immediately grabbed everyhting outta the TR cache instead of leaving it in there until I hit the various levels.  I suspect the initial developers assumed that'd be the case, so there'd be no logical need to watch over such a temporary storage mechanism.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint