Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Heh, took them long enough (Read 18536 times)
pnellesen
Titan Demolisher

We can't all just get
along.

Re: Heh, took them long enough
Reply #25 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Please, I beg you... just stop with the dueling SQL. It looks entirely too much like the crap I have to wade through every day at work (although the stuff being posted is WAY easier to read...)

IP Logged

DDOcrackhead
Stormreaver Piker

Worlds: Khyber, Wayfinder

Reply #26 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 11:40am:
It's a no-win situation for them. Unfortunately, all this message does is reinforce the "exploit early, exploit often" mentality that Turdbine has cultivated in DDO over the years. The statement "particularly of those who shrugged off the launcher message" sends the wrong signals completely. If your punishment is worse when you're part of the herd, then all the more incentive to get in on the act at the beginning.

Exactly! If this is really the case, it means next Xpl0it what you should do is use it before it is officially aknowledged. They are really going o punish the wrong people here. Why would they even invest resources into 'investigation and punishment' at this state? They should had just put this issue on top priority the minute they found out about it and applied a hotfix the next day.

***TWF-Kalashtar, 1-st hand: Nerf-hammer, 2-nd hand: Troll-hammer. Intimidate 500. Bluff 600***

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #27 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
all this message does is reinforce the "exploit early, exploit often" mentality that Turdbine has cultivated in DDO over the years.

Actually, they upped their game all of their own doing.

Rules Of DDO Exploitation:
1) Exploit Early and Often
2) Launder to Shards Quickly
3)...
4) Profit

I CANNOT see them rolling back any profits that are now in the form of shards.  Had it been plat, yes; but they've blurred some lines and increased challenge for themselves by implementing the ASAH.

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
pnellesen wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:26pm:
Please, I beg you... just stop with the dueling SQL. It looks entirely too much like the crap I have to wade through every day at work (although the stuff being posted is WAY easier to read...)

I take it you post your experience on dailywtf?   Wink

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #29 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
DDOcrackhead wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:27pm:
They should had just put this issue on top priority the minute they found out about it and applied a hotfix the next day.

Yeah, I agree completely, and I have to laugh at all the FanBois who slammed Cryptic over their auction house bug while it was in open beta.

There's been a lot Cryptic has done badly, but they grabbed the bull by the horns with that situation - swift lock down, perma bans, server rollback, and apology gifts (mostly useless trash, but still) to non-exploiters.

But on the bright side, think how awesome the Mabar login numbers are going to look in their November report to WB.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Legato
Titan Demolisher

I fart in your general
direction!

Reply #30 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
I wonder if they are going to permaban a ton of people, or delete their whole inventory...

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #31 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
It is sweet to see such a huge bug result as a consequence of their own greed and lack of concern for players. Schadenfreude. Couldn't have happened to a better bunch.

Maybe it's sweet if you no longer play or no longer enjoy playing, but for those who still enjoy the game, it's a pain in the ass.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Legato wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:51pm:
I wonder if they are going to permaban a ton of people, or delete their whole inventory...

Not the second. If you delete even one legitimately earned item, those players are just as gone as if you permabanned them, along with their friends. It would be like Maban all over again.

Touch anything other than duped items and those players will carry a vocal and open grudge against Turbine until the heat death of the universe. They'll only spread their half of the story, that Turbine deleted loot they earned, but that half is all that matters.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:53pm:
Maybe it's sweet if you no longer play or no longer enjoy playing, but for those who still enjoy the game, it's a pain in the ass. 

I don't really believe in karma, but it is nice to see Turbine getting some. They deliberately created an inventory management hell for their players. I don't know any regular players who do not have at least one F2P storage account, storage mules, shared bank, etc. Inventory management and loot management took a large and ever-increasing percentage of my play time. Move essences to the craftbot, nice items to chars that could use it, etc.

This will all blow over within a month or two, and it doesn't affect gameplay. The next L28 adventure pack that forces a complete regearing of all characters (just like epic Gianthold) will fix the majority of any damage.

I do genuinely feel bad for those of you still suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, or battered wife syndrome in your relationship with this game. Don't worry - Turbine still loves your wallet. If you keep spending, maybe Turbine will stop hitting you one day.

Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #34 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:32pm:
Actually, they upped their game all of their own doing.

Rules Of DDO Exploitation:
1) Exploit Early and Often
2) Launder to Shards Quickly
3)...
4) Profit

I CANNOT see them rolling back any profits that are now in the form of shards.  Had it been plat, yes; but they've blurred some lines and increased challenge for themselves by implementing the ASAH.

Agreed.  And how to tell the difference between:

1)  A player who as 1000 FRDS in inventory and purchased 500 TP from store to buy them.
2)  A player who duped up 1000 FRDS and  has them in inventory
3)  A player who purchased 1000 FRDS for plat on the AH
4)  A player who purchased 1000 FRDS in a private trade window transaction.  For a TP code, other in game items, plat, or whatever.
5)  A player who duped up 1000 FRDS on a throwaway account and then transferred them to their main account via Shard AH, AH, or private window trade.
6)  A player who duped up 1000 FRDS and sold them on the shard AH and now has 500 TP in his Shard Account.

2, 5, and 6 deserve a ban.  What do you do with 1, 3, and 4?  Take away their FRDS and leave them hanging?

A roll back is the only way to undo the mess.   But any store purchases in the interim would have to be rolled forward.  Let's say they roll back to 9/20.  On 9/24, I bought 5000 TP and then spent it on an Otto's box.  Which I never used.  They roll back.  I've got no TP.  I've got no box.  But they have my money.  If they roll back, they will have to figure out a way to roll forward all the TP purchases that were done in the interim.  Same with TP Codes redeemed.  A code is usually a one time use.  If I used a 2500 TP code on my account and spent the TP on mana pots or XP pots, but they roll back, so I lost the TP and have no pots.  And the code is already "used" so it is invalid. 

And what if Player X has a draconic soul gem on 9/20.  On 9/23, player X trades the gem to Player Y who buys a 2500 TP code and gives the code to player X for the gem.  Player X then redeems code and spends the TP.  You roll back to 9/20.  Player X now has the Soul Gem again.  And has the record of a code redemption on his account.  There is no way to link the purchase on the store to Player Y's account.  So even if you give X the 2500 TP he lost (or a code to redeem), X gets the code and the Gem? 

Rollbacks are all kinds of fucked up when you consider the possibilities with TP purchases and TP codes.

« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:10pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #35 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:04pm:
I do genuinely feel bad for those of you still suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, or battered wife syndrome in your relationship with this game. Don't worry - Turbine still loves your wallet. If you keep spending, maybe Turbine will stop hitting you one day.

I can't think of one single way that Turbine has "battered" me as a player.  They offer a game, which I enjoy playing.  I pay a small fee ($10 a month) for hours and hours of enjoyment.  Do I wish there was more of an end game?  Yes.  Do I wish there was more content?  Yes.  Do I wish they hadn't raised the level cap so quickly?  Yes.  But I don't get why people get so worked up about changes to enhancements or nerfs to feats or mechanics changes.  To the point where you have so much rage and hatred. 

It's only a game, Focker.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:17pm:
To the point where you have so much rage and hatred. 

You should quit projecting your own emotions onto others. It makes you look silly.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #37 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:31pm:
You should quit projecting your own emotions onto others. It makes you look silly.

No.  You look silly with your sig and your ongoing blather about Turbine being evil and comparing a gaming company to domestic violence and spouse beating.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #38 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 11:55am:
Especially since a data duplication bug pretty much screams race condition or terrible database SQL.

DEADLOCK, they forgot the fucking deadlock  Grin

Meursault wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:49pm:
There's been a lot Cryptic has done badly, but they grabbed the bull by the horns with that situation - swift lock down, perma bans, server rollback, and apology gifts (mostly useless trash, but still) to non-exploiters.

Used it on the Official forum to point out that Rollback is probably not gonna happen.
If Cryptic with a brand new database, that is not yet filled with trash can't rollback more than a few hours how Turbine ( with their track record ) is going to be able to do one ( without failing it ) for 2/3 days.

pnellesen wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:26pm:
Please, I beg you... just stop with the dueling SQL. It looks entirely too much like the crap I have to wade through every day at work

Hi Welcome

Been, there done that, still got the nightmares of having to rebuild a database from an obsolete backup after a server crash.
( FC-AL controller went wonky and wrote fucking trash on the hard disks... Customer had no relevant backup, we restarted from a 1 year and a half old backup we made on the sly : took us 3 days non stop in 8 hours shifts to recover the server to a point where we could actually start to consider trying to recover the data from the telecom switches, then it took us 2 month to recover and reenter all the missing data... and we still missed some... Trust me I'm quite glad I work in telecom and only have to deal with phone numbers, having to do the thing with another kind of data would have been... a Challenge ).

Edit : but not it's a thing of the past, I'm not dealing with database anymore... I'm dealing with The Internet ( as in dealing with weird systems called, P-Routers, CPE, PE, and weird protocols like MPLS, BGP, IS-IS, LDP, ... )
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:46pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
They still havent fixed the bug. Just a finger wag and a warning. Turbine is so far into its own feces it cant surface ever. Fuck are they going to do? People made out like bandits. I mean the past few days if you were playing anything other than banker and trader you need need a new game.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:37pm:
No.  You look silly with your sig and your ongoing blather about Turbine being evil  

Go find my ongoing blather about Turbine being evil, because I don't remember any. I'll make it easy for you: here's a link to my last 5 posts. If you have an issue with my sig, why don't you take it up with the person who wrote it. I picked it because it amuses me.

and comparing a gaming company to domestic violence and spouse beating.

Did you get lost? This is the vault, not the DDO forums. This isn't really a safe place for the thin skinned, or literalists. Was that an audition to be Grace's replacement or something?

(edited - link was to 25 posts, but only shows up as 5)
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:47pm by Kimberlite »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
No.  You look silly with your sig and your ongoing blather about Turbine being evil and comparing a gaming company to domestic violence and spouse beating.

STFU and stop smoking so many cartons of Turbine Cocks.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #42 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Incoming HotFux :

(World Broadcast): World broadcast: 'The server is coming down for a hotfix in 50 minutes. Please find a safe place to log out! Thanks for your patience during the downtime! '

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #43 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
I'm betting they've a script setup now to hand out bans and it will run concurrently with the Hotfix.  It'll be easier for them to hear appeals & reverse from the handful of legit 1000+ LDS's than sort through it all.

IP Logged

DDOcrackhead
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #44 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
^40 mins left on the crafting buff. Use or lose guys!

***TWF-Kalashtar, 1-st hand: Nerf-hammer, 2-nd hand: Troll-hammer. Intimidate 500. Bluff 600***

IP Logged

pnellesen
Titan Demolisher

We can't all just get
along.

Reply #45 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 2:12pm:
Incoming HotFux :

(World Broadcast): World broadcast: 'The server is coming down for a hotfix in 50 minutes. Please find a safe place to log out! Thanks for your patience during the downtime! '

I can't wait to see what they break in their haste to fix this bug (assuming it's actually fixed...)

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #46 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:45pm:
Go find my ongoing blather about Turbine being evil, because I don't remember any. I'll make it easy for you: here's a link to my last 5 posts. If you have an issue with my sig, why don't you take it up with the person who wrote it. I picked it because it amuses me.

Did you get lost? This is the vault, not the DDO forums. This isn't really a safe place for the thin skinned, or literalists. Was that an audition to be Grace's replacement or something?

(edited - link was to 25 posts, but only shows up as 5)

/yawn. 

I like it when people reference "this is the Vault" as their justification for saying stupid shit.  Just because it's the Vault doesn't mean that you can post garbage and idiocy.  There is still a preference for well thought out posts and posters with an ounce or more of common sense.  You are not one of them. 

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 12:55pm:
Not the second. If you delete even one legitimately earned item, those players are just as gone as if you permabanned them, along with their friends. It would be like Maban all over again.

Touch anything other than duped items and those players will carry a vocal and open grudge against Turbine until the heat death of the universe. They'll only spread their half of the story, that Turbine deleted loot they earned, but that half is all that matters.

While I wouldn't quit I'd be pretty pissed off if Turbine banned me, removed the items I bought from the ASAH without a full refund, etc. I'd be bummed if the 3 globes and 1 draconic soul gem that I bought on the ASAH were removed and I received a full refund but I'd understand.

I didn't exploit but I certainly bought items off of the ASAH when they price was low. I'd be pretty stupid not to do so - it's not cheating when you're legitimately buying items off of their own auction system and if they treat it as such I'd be pretty pissed off.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #48 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 3:17pm:
I didn't exploit but I certainly bought items off of the ASAH when they price was low. I'd be pretty stupid not to do so - it's not cheating when you're legitimately buying items off of their own auction system and if they treat it as such I'd be pretty pissed off.

if something looks too good to be true, then it IS too good to be true.

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

DDOcrackhead
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #49 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
They can't take away stuff bought with AS, that would enrage their best source of income, AS-buyers.

"Scheduled" downtime, patch already applied, worlds are still down. "Investigations will continue after the hotfix." Looks like they want to play bad cop and intimidate people and pretend that they are "after it".

But I pray to the Dark Six that they're just playing badass "investigators" and there will actually be no consequences. At least not for me Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint