Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Heh, took them long enough (Read 18504 times)
Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Re: Heh, took them long enough
Reply #50 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 3:33pm:
if something looks too good to be true, then it IS too good to be true.

Not true!

I have many times scoured the AH and taken advantage of people forgetting a zero or two on specific ingredients or items.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #51 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
WILMAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #52 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
WILMAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #53 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 3:33pm:
if something looks too good to be true, then it IS too good to be true.

Oh, completely agree. That's why I've got no problem if they decide to reverse the purchases. But if they start trying to penalize players that simply bought from the AH...that would be way over the top.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #54 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:04pm:
I don't really believe in karma, but it is nice to see Turbine getting some. They deliberately created an inventory management hell for their players. I don't know any regular players who do not have at least one F2P storage account, storage mules, shared bank, etc. Inventory management and loot management took a large and ever-increasing percentage of my play time. Move essences to the craftbot, nice items to chars that could use it, etc.

This will all blow over within a month or two, and it doesn't affect gameplay. The next L28 adventure pack that forces a complete regearing of all characters (just like epic Gianthold) will fix the majority of any damage.

I do genuinely feel bad for those of you still suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, or battered wife syndrome in your relationship with this game. Don't worry - Turbine still loves your wallet. If you keep spending, maybe Turbine will stop hitting you one day.

Amen.  Preach on.

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #55 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:43pm:
DEADLOCK, they forgot the fucking deadlock  Grin

Used it on the Official forum to point out that Rollback is probably not gonna happen.
If Cryptic with a brand new database, that is not yet filled with trash can't rollback more than a few hours how Turbine ( with their track record ) is going to be able to do one ( without failing it ) for 2/3 days.

Hi Welcome

Been, there done that, still got the nightmares of having to rebuild a database from an obsolete backup after a server crash.
( FC-AL controller went wonky and wrote fucking trash on the hard disks... Customer had no relevant backup, we restarted from a 1 year and a half old backup we made on the sly : took us 3 days non stop in 8 hours shifts to recover the server to a point where we could actually start to consider trying to recover the data from the telecom switches, then it took us 2 month to recover and reenter all the missing data... and we still missed some... Trust me I'm quite glad I work in telecom and only have to deal with phone numbers, having to do the thing with another kind of data would have been... a Challenge ).

Edit : but not it's a thing of the past, I'm not dealing with database anymore... I'm dealing with The Internet ( as in dealing with weird systems called, P-Routers, CPE, PE, and weird protocols like MPLS, BGP, IS-IS, LDP, ... )

More than likely they don't know the difference between a repeatable read and an uncommitted read.

They may not even know how to read, they obviously can't code.   Cheesy

IP Logged

Lurp
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #56 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
When was the last time there was a rollback? Years and years ago I think. I do not think there has been one since the launch of FTP/DDO Store. I don't think it is really an option anymore for them.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #57 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 9:35pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #58 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 9:35pm:

Carpone, care to repost it here?

Official forums are blocked at my work

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #59 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 12:11am
Print Post  
Lurp wrote on Oct 8th, 2013 at 8:40pm:
When was the last time there was a rollback? Years and years ago I think. I do not think there has been one since the launch of FTP/DDO Store. I don't think it is really an option anymore for them.

There certainly have been rollbacks, just not intentional.

IP Logged

sadface
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #60 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 1:39am
Print Post  
late but hope it helps

"Hello

I never used the so called exploit and only found out about it after the patch today. You can check my logs and will see that this is the case.

Was curious to see if it had been fixed so I checked to see what happens and now the damned game is broken because when I move items from my bank to my inventory items are lost!

Yes lost!!!

I am using the bank, the bags and the inventory in a manner that is perfectly legal for them to be used and now items are being lost

You broke my game so please give me back my lost items - was just 2 silly items but if to fix an exploit you break a mechanism that is supposed to work you are skating on thin ice concerning my monthly sub

Thank you "

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #61 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 2:23am
Print Post  
weird protocols like MPLS, BGP, IS-IS, LDP, ... )

MPLS and BGP aren't weird - the rest of that shit's all French to me Cheesy

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #62 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 4:12am
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Oct 9th, 2013 at 2:23am:
MPLS and BGP aren't weird - the rest of that shit's all French to me Cheesy

Ok, I'm going to go really weird  Roll Eyes :

- SS7, INAP, FTUP ( a.k.a. SSUT ) FTUP+ ( a.k.a. SSUTR2 ), MF Colisée, MF Socotel.
- DSS1, G.923, ISDN, (ISDN) VN4
- X.25, BNSI, MTP ( no, not the one that go with the above, another one carried over X.25 )

While I can't really weird out a real DBA with SQL, I can weird out a lot of people with telecom protocols.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #63 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Been, there done that, still got the nightmares of having to rebuild a database from an obsolete backup after a server crash.
( FC-AL controller went wonky and wrote fucking trash on the hard disks... Customer had no relevant backup, we restarted from a 1 year and a half old backup we made on the sly : took us 3 days non stop in 8 hours shifts to recover the server to a point where we could actually start to consider trying to recover the data from the telecom switches, then it took us 2 month to recover and reenter all the missing data... and we still missed some... Trust me I'm quite glad I work in telecom and only have to deal with phone numbers, having to do the thing with another kind of data would have been... a Challenge ).

Friends in telcom software, which from the sounds of the data would make me quit software rather than subject myself to learning comm protocols.  I stay near the top of the software moutain, not in the weeds, by choice.   Wink

About a decade or so ago we had an IBM upgrade expose a software flaw that started a frenetic spawn of extraneous financial transactions in our systems.  It took us three days determine how to fix the issue without making it worse, and was my first deep dive into the arcane gray areas around isolation locking.  We didn't even have the option to rollback because of the mix of valid and invalid actions taken during the 3 days, and it took us 9 months to clean the corruption out of our financial system with the appropriate paper trail, which gets audited heavily.

In a true rollback scenario I had a boss use an old system backdoor incorrectly to clear some data, and we found out the fewer parameters supplied, er none, the backdoor just wiped an entire table clear of data.  A panicked phone ensued, we shutdown the system and the systems group went to grab the backup and found out the last one was like two weeks old.   Shocked  At least no one died or was injured, and that can be a real possibility in my line of work, but many "hot seat" meetings ensued.

ETA:  The second scenario gave rise to the only true statement you'll ever give a customer when they ask when the system will be fixed.  "We're closer than we've ever been!"  Grin
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2013 at 8:36am by iliveyourdream13 »  

IP Logged

Crunch ButtSteak
Stormreaver Piker

Fer teh lolz

Reply #64 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Yay, you?

IP Logged

Lurp
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #65 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:30am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Oct 9th, 2013 at 12:11am:
There certainly have been rollbacks, just not intentional.

When? I remember plenty of broken things, emergency shutdowns and "scheduled" hotfixes but I can't think of any time since 2009 that I ever lost XP or items like you would in a rollback. Maybe I just avoid playing on patch day. Still would have read about it on the forums though.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #66 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:41am
Print Post  
I saw some people complaining about rollbacks when end rewards were infinite. Not much, just like 5 minutes, but still obvious rollbacks. Whether they were intentional or just the system being fucked up, I don't honestly know.

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #67 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:41am:
I saw some people complaining about rollbacks when end rewards were infinite. Not much, just like 5 minutes, but still obvious rollbacks. Whether they were intentional or just the system being fucked up, I don't honestly know.

Yah, I can only remember one rollback, and it was like minutes over the couple years I played.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint