Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) The bigger they are the harder they fall. (Read 8960 times)
Relentless
Korthos Resident

Everyone has a price

The bigger they are the harder they fall.
Oct 9th, 2013 at 10:19am
Print Post  
There is not a whole lot written about known punishment/sloution of the most recent bug dubbed duplicating. I myself only found out about it yesterday via splash screen, So I have not read every possible article yet. Because DDO forums wolnt allow this kind of question (everything juicy gets blocked) and this site seems to have a more open mind about discussions I have a few questions/things to ponder.

Is this bug across all servers?
Have there been confirmed reports of the perma ban/temp ban/account roll back?
Will the larger servers be hit the hardest by bans because they have room to cut the fat?
Which servers are being hit the hardest in their economy?

Does anyone else think that in a dying game permbanning  your players is really a wise move? Experienced players are leaving in droans to other better games as it stands. I doubt money will be spent making a new account. If you are going to start new, might as well start new on a diffrent game and bring your buds with you.

Do you think this bug will be one of the final nails to this games coffin?    Cry
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2013 at 10:24am by Relentless »  

IF at first you do not succeed, kill all the witnesses.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re: The bigger they are the harder they fall.
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 10:40am
Print Post  
I don't think this will do anything to the game's long-term health. And I'd guess Sarlona will be hit by the most bans...god knows our ASAH was a mess before they took it down.

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Relentless wrote on Oct 9th, 2013 at 10:19am:
There is not a whole lot written about known punishment/sloution of the most recent bug dubbed duplicating. I myself only found out about it yesterday via splash screen, So I have not read every possible article yet. Because DDO forums wolnt allow this kind of question (everything juicy gets blocked) and this site seems to have a more open mind about discussions I have a few questions/things to ponder.

Will the larger servers be hit the hardest by bans because they have room to cut the fat?

Does anyone else think that in a dying game permbanning  your players is really a wise move? Experienced players are leaving in droans to other better games as it stands. I doubt money will be spent making a new account. If you are going to start new, might as well start new on a diffrent game and bring your buds with you.

Do you think this bug will be one of the final nails to this games coffin?    Cry

Yes to most of your questions.
No to last one.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:04am
Print Post  
This is (likely) the e-mail you'll get if you're banned for this.

Quote:
Your Dungeons & Dragons Online account has been suspended as a result of a  confirmed Player Code of Conduct violation.

This suspension is for 14 days .

Specifically, a Game Master determined that you willfully and intentionally exploited a mechanic within the game world.

You can find more information regarding the associated policy at the following URL: http://www.turbine.com/en/content/dungeons-dragons-online-code-conduct-en
Our ultimate goal is to provide an appropriately safe, fun, and engaging experience for our entire player community. To that end, the Player Code of Conduct must be enforced.

If you have any information that you feel would alter the decision made in this action, please visit http://turbine.com/support, and follow the links to the In-Game Support help page to submit your appeal. Note that all account actions are taken only after a significant amount of research and verification is performed to ensure proper Code of Conduct enforcement. In addition, if you have received a temporary suspension, it will expire automatically - you do not need to contact us to have a temporary suspension removed at its conclusion.

Turbine In-Game Support Team

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:09am
Print Post  
rest wrote on Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:04am:
This is (likely) the e-mail you'll get if you're banned for this.

14 days from today still gives you time to enjoy mabar, if you're into that (no L28 items)
Maybe that's why some on the ddo forums are confessing?

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:13am
Print Post  
It's actually 14 days from 2 days ago.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:19am
Print Post  

Not at all.  people cloned shit that had little value in the first place.  This is also like the 4th or 5th duping incident I've seen and none of them ruined the game.

Feather of Sun has done more damage than any exploit ever will.

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:20am
Print Post  
rest wrote on Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:13am:
It's actually 14 days from 2 days ago.

No further "investigations" or actions?
The ban cloud has passed?
I pegged turbine at hotfix Monday +2 days of data review as the time period for issuing punishments.

IP Logged

CanIHazYourStuff
DQ Assaulter

Niiiiiiii!

Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:19am:
Not at all.  people cloned shit that had little value in the first place.  This is also like the 4th or 5th duping incident I've seen and none of them ruined the game.

Little value? Yo sho? The point of dupping is not profiting from it imo. Its reducing the grinding you'd need to get most of that stuff.

Yarrrrrr!

IP Logged

Relentless
Korthos Resident

Everyone has a price

Reply #9 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:33am
Print Post  
I don't think they are sending out a mass ban. Its more logical for it to be done in groups and or cases handled one account at a time. Knowing however with limited recources DDO staffing has, its most likely being done in groups. So I personally don't think its over just yet.

By the way thank you for the feed back. I wonder if they will bother to correct and or improve the economy of plat... most likely I think they will just focous on shard exchange or let everything ride itself out.
I personally like that the AH is so cheap. I knew saving all my plat would one day pay off. Time for a good spending spree.

Plat is the new copper. Lol. Grin
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:38am by Relentless »  

IF at first you do not succeed, kill all the witnesses.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #10 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:36am
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:20am:
No further "investigations" or actions?
The ban cloud has passed?
I pegged turbine at hotfix Monday +2 days of data review as the time period for issuing punishments.

I don't know. They might still be looking through logs and such, but the first wave of bans was on Monday night when they GMs actually witnessed people using the exploit.

I wouldn't say you're out of the woods yet, but then again it IS Turbine so who knows. Maybe they think banning a dozen people is enough.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #11 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:43am
Print Post  

Addressing all the points :
1) Yes, across all servers. Some were more obvious about it ( Sarlona and the stacks of 100 scales in ASAH ) others were less obvious ( Ghallanda with just more Orbs than usual ).
But by Saturday evening it was widespread across all the servers and almost all the guilds.

2) 3 Days and 14 Days Vacation so far from all the information that have been gathered here and there.

3) They can't hit too hard any server unless they want to cripple the game. And I'm quite sure that almost everybody tried the exploit once it was known in the open, so that would mean banning almost everybody. Maban comes to the mind for that, and the damage an auto-ban script gone wonky did to the game.

4) there's an economy ?
Sarlona is probably the one hit the hardest, with all those stacks of scales. But nothing say that there's not the same thing stored somewhere on the other servers... they just didn't show up on the AH/ASAH.

5) No, DDO is not really dying ( or it's been dying since 2006 ) It's a niche game where people come and go. Sure it's starting to show it's age, but overall it still above many other games when it comes to active combat and quests. ( even if the new quests from U19 really reminds me of NWO and other quests with a Boss and waves to trash you have to deal while beating up the boss, it's too obvious compared to older quests )

Older players are moving on for various reasons ( I have a friend that moved back to Civ Simply because he has a child and it's easier to drop Civ for an hour to play with his son than DDO, he will come back eventually )

And last :

This should be put into the rotating list of quotes.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 12:06pm
Print Post  

Agreed.  Lots of folks were duping the stuff to add force critical, resists, AC, etc boosts on armor and weapons.  Or duping up Titan and hezrou and BB cookies and such.  Or shroud mats.  Or essences to speed level crafting.  Sure all that stuff has some value, but not enough that you are gonna get mega rich on it or that it would destroy the economy. 

There are a few "big ticket" items that come in bags that could actually affect the economy, but, honestly, all people really did was devalue those items.  FRDS are probably worth less than regular blues, blacks, and whites.  (Not the flawless versions).  And augments are probably about worthless too.  Even the formerly ultra rare draconic soul gem and true globe of blood.  I feel bad for people who had done trades for those two items just before this.  I traded some poor guy a true globe (plus something else, cant recall what) for an otto's box about 4 weeks ago.  Sorry about his luck.  My Otto's still has value.  His globe?  not so much.  I'd not spend 50kpp on a true globe today. 

It's not all Feather, but gear changes have hurt the game more than this.  The too much too soon level cap raises have hurt the game more than this. 

The fixes the game needs are still the same:  more raids.  more content.  consistency with loot.  They focus on that, things will be fine.

IP Logged

Aberrant
Korthos Resident

Play Dumb.

Reply #13 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
What Flav said.

All mmos die... not sure if this one is.

Khybered
- May the ghostbane be with you.

IP Logged

SwashbucklerHater
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Since level cap 30 is coming "soon" most of the duped stuff would have greatly decreased in value anyways.

And the dragon scales... apart from the green ones they were much overpriced most of the time anyways. Red scales for example... who needs red scales nowadays anyways? Most people get their 20 red scales in VoN before they got their red dragon shard.
And most people prefer the new GH epic dragon scale armors anyways, and if you are after the set bonus you get more than enough scales of each kind before you find the dragon helm you really want. (Unless you are some lucky b****** Tongue )

Think the biggest hit took the augments, but I think for level cap of 30 better versions of the most desired augments were coming anyways decreasing the existing ones to leveling gear.
With levelcap 30 you need +40 vitality augments since random items are going to have more than +40 vitality and probably random items are starting to have 60 elemetal resistance so at least a +40 to all resistences augment would be needed anyways. The current augment is more a convenience item anyways.
With all the shiradi casters nowadays there should be enough SP to rebuff resistances if needed and some people even have +30 res pots. Apart from that ship buffs are covering that anyways and with a nice healer you are not going to die in most quests anyways.

So I really doubt that this exploit has a lasting effect on the ingame economy.

IP Logged

pnellesen
Titan Demolisher

We can't all just get
along.

Reply #15 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
CanIHazYourStuff wrote on Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:27am:
Its reducing the grinding you'd need to get most of that stuff.

Exactly. Go try to run enough Shrouds nowadays to get 5 or so LDSs, or duplicate the 2 you have in your bag?

No-brainer, really.

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #16 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 1:11pm
Print Post  

This ONE incident, no - if it happens a couple more times, yes.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2013 at 1:15pm by karatekid »  

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:09am:
14 days from today still gives you time to enjoy mabar, if you're into that (no L28 items)
Maybe that's why some on the ddo forums are confessing?

I see you are using the non standard definition of "enjoy", as in, "I enjoy having my fingernails pulled off, on by one, slowly", or "I really enjoyed my last root canal without any novacaine, I can hardly wait to do that again"

T

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #18 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
all this does is increase equality across players. Players who play for a long time with good gear and have exploited earlier in the games history are far above wealthier than everyone else.

When these exploits happen it's like a great reckoning where everyone catches up to each other and prices normalize.

This is extremely good for the game economy and allows us to focus more on the skill of players and builds and less on quality of loot.

I wouldn't have it any other way and I think this exploit was an absolutely shot of lifeblood for this game. Anyone who argues different will have to be very convincing otherwise. You're probably just sour grapes you didn't participate or that you can't hold your giant ePeen over people as much anymore since they have some shit too.

Also in a few months a new update will make of of this duped stuff mid-tier garbage anyway. It's why I don't grind for gear, I can just wait every other update to get gear and reduce my grind in half. It's like how I upgrade iPhone's every other iteration.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #19 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Tspoon wrote on Oct 9th, 2013 at 1:21pm:
I see you are using the non standard definition of "enjoy", as in, "I enjoy having my fingernails pulled off, on by one, slowly", or "I really enjoyed my last root canal without any novacaine, I can hardly wait to do that again"

T

"I really enjoy sliding naked down that giant razor blade into a vat of alcohol"

(let that one steep a minute)

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Oct 9th, 2013 at 11:36am:
the first wave of bans was on Monday night when they GMs actually witnessed people using the exploit.

Witnessed what exactly?  Standing around a banker?  Reading chat where people were dumbasses and linked 1000 dragonscales?

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #21 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Oct 9th, 2013 at 2:43pm:
Witnessed what exactly?  Standing around a banker?  Reading chat where people were dumbasses and linked 1000 dragonscales?

Viewing the actions of a player is possible.  It appears in a 'textual' version of your actions (Keyboard/Mouse inputs).

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #22 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Oct 9th, 2013 at 2:50pm:
Viewing the actions of a player is possible.  It appears in a 'textual' version of your actions (Keyboard/Mouse inputs).

I could be mistaken, but I blieve he was being facetious... as in "they really didn't need to do much"

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #23 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Oct 9th, 2013 at 3:17pm:
I could be mistaken, but I blieve he was being facetious... as in "they really didn't need to do much"

Duh, been head down in stuff most of the day; problem solving diarrhea of the keyboard.

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Reply #24 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
I had a guy in a pug last night open talking about "so and so" in his guild duping thousands of items, globes, tokens, etc.  No pause at all.  May be they will still suspend some of the really stupid...

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint