Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Banned (Read 67197 times)
mudfud
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re: Banned
Reply #225 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 2:12pm:
If they start taking stuff out of the guild chest, that's a whole other shit storm waiting to happen.

LOL They might start wondering how all that bta and btc stuff got in there.

IP Logged

Vanshilar
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #226 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Eh I don't see why people are up in arms or surprised about this. When I was admin of a MUD, sufficiently high-level immortals could load up any character (player) that they wanted. The character would be loaded in but not be attached to a login connection, so basically a "dummy" or monster without any AI script. You could manipulate the character though (have it perform commands). This could occur even if the player could not log in (such as if banned), and it didn't need the player's password.

One of the reasons to do it this way, as opposed to directly doing a database query, is that it uses the same game loading function as when the player logs in and the same save function as when the player logs out, allowing the immortal to inspect/change the character's state in the middle (such as get rid of items etc.), and have the changes be "safe"...or as safe as regular logging in and out can be, anyway. This way you don't need someone that's familiar with the database to manipulate it, and you don't need to code in a separate database query and keep it up to date or directly make database changes which can potentially corrupt the character file if not done correctly. Instead, the load and save functions are always up to date so you don't have to worry as much about an immortal corrupting the player files when they do this.

I find it laughable that people are claiming that Turbine is violating their own EULA. How exactly is Turbine doing that, when the EULA explicitly says that Turbine owns all rights, titles, and interest in the game, and the player is merely given a license for use subject to the EULA (and exploiting violates the EULA)? Also, the terms of service explicitly says "Turbine may revise, suspend, terminate or delete the Account at any time for any reason or no reason, with or without notice to you" which means that they do have the right to load your account and do as they please with it. Certainly a company wouldn't do that willy-nilly in order to retain customers (the same way a restaurant wouldn't eject customers willy-nilly even if they have a "right to refuse service" sign) but they have the right to do so.

What's more interesting to me is that Turbine would do this openly. The MUD had a number of invisible rooms where the characters could be loaded in to be taken care of and no mortals could see them or interact with them. Yet it seems like Turbine never bothered to code this type of stuff in, but the "extreme prejudice" is done out in the open. To me that speaks more about how antiquated the software is, or the lack of thought in enforcement mechanisms (code-wise), or both; the MUD was around in the 1990s (and is still around last I checked) and already had this type of functionality.
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:52pm by Vanshilar »  

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #227 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
LordPiglet wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:11pm:
You do realize that EULA's aren't bullet proof. 

Depends which side of the glass you're on...

Frog on all servers, but Cannith is home.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #228 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Vanshilar wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:20pm:
antiquated the software is,

I'm pretty sure Gemstone III and Diku make DDO look like Pong.  From the sounds, even EQ was shambled together better.  And I've seen "Duct Tape" comments in the code.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #229 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
LordPiglet wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:11pm:
You do realize that EULA's aren't bullet proof. 

But La Roux is

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #230 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:35pm:
I'm pretty sure Gemstone III and Diku make DDO look like Pong.  From the sounds, even EQ was shambled together better.  And I've seen "Duct Tape" comments in the code.

Simutronics makes Turbine look like development gods.  Those fuckers would take years to introduce new content, and don't get me started on the GM favoritism with big ticket items.  Fuck Gemstone III in the ass with no lube.

EverQuest was a fucking amazing game that suffered from The Vision (TM) by founder Brad McQuaid.  EverQuest Next looks promising.

IP Logged

Durk
The Deranged

I've got a secret!

Reply #231 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Luxgolg wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 2:17pm:
<snip>
(section 1 f.     You may not exploit the Game, or any portion thereof, for any commercial purpose;)

I want a donut

The section is quite common and is in reference to exploiting a product for commercial branding, marketing, consumer exploitation as a product etc. (The difference between 'Exploting "The Game"' vs 'using an in-game exploit')

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #232 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:13pm:
EverQuest was a fucking amazing game that suffered from The Vision (TM) by founder Brad McQuaid.  EverQuest Next looks promising

People don't realize, the game tanked with 'The Vision' gave way to players ranting.  The Vision was good, the execution, not so much.

Next is looking good.
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2013 at 6:13pm by Aeolwind »  

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #233 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Wyni wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 2:24pm:
What I care about is them being a shady, poorly run, poorly staffed.....

Can I have your stuff?

Oh wait, youre going to stay?

IP Logged

no.
DQ Assaulter

Just no.

Reply #234 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
HairyO wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 6:27pm:
Can I have your stuff?

Oh wait, youre going to stay?

You could, except it's all BtC.

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #235 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
Now the perfect thing would be for someone previously given a runaround regarding the need for GMs to log into the account or permissions excuses, and the like, to ask if Toleros note about special tools for logging in will now be used to solve the previous problems.

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #236 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 6:12pm:
People don't realize, the game tanked with 'The Vision' gave way to players ranting.  The Vision was good, the execution, not so much.

Next is looking good.

That sounds a lot like what happened to DDO; only in its case, it was a combination of player rants (too hard, too easy), management rants, and Feather responses in design.

I'm going back in my memory (I started around Update 8) trying to figure out the systems that went RIGHT, but were caught up in the firestorm of poor decisions and crap implementation...

There were actually good ideas (Epic, Cannith Crafting, Druids, Challenges, Guilds, more?) that Turbine skillfully mangled into implements of torture upon execution.
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2013 at 12:55am by karatekid »  

IP Logged

Ckorik
Dragon Raider

N00b

Reply #237 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 1:27am
Print Post  
rest wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:35pm:
But La Roux is

You know I'd never seen the video for that even though it's on my spotify playlist - thumbs up for the link Smiley

IP Logged

Sham
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Random Effects
on Named Loot! - No one
ever

Reply #238 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 1:53am
Print Post  
La Roux is pretty good. I liked i'm not your toy a lot and in for the kill is a better song. She's not exactly easy on the eye though.
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2013 at 2:02am by Sham »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #239 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 2:28am
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:35pm:
Gemstone III

Sorry, I prefer the PnP version of Shadow World. *Grins*
Played ( as GM and player ) in it for years, and my name appears somewhere in the semi recent
Shadow World Player Guide.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Ckorik
Dragon Raider

N00b

Reply #240 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 10:52am
Print Post  
There isn't anything wrong with how she looks - it's that she seems to go out of her way to use makeup in a way that is discordant on the eye typically.

Here for example is a good pic where she wears 'normal-ish' makeup and as such she looks pretty decent.

I assume that her choices to almost always try and look weird are a conscious  choice.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #241 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Ckorik wrote on Oct 17th, 2013 at 10:52am:
There isn't anything wrong with how she looks - it's that she seems to go out of her way to use makeup in a way that is discordant on the eye typically.

Here for example is a good pic where she wears 'normal-ish' makeup and as such she looks pretty decent.

I assume that her choices to almost always try and look weird are a conscious  choice.

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/30521911/La+Roux++0491.png

This pic may have been modified...

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #242 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 11:08am
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Oct 17th, 2013 at 12:55am:
That sounds a lot like what happened to DDO; only in its case, it was a combination of player rants (too hard, too easy), management rants, and Feather responses in design.

What happened in DDO and EQ aren't equivalent.  EQ went from stupid fucking things like looking at a spell book while you meditated (think rest shrine taking several minutes to regen your mana), to getting rid of The Vision because the mechanics were more about abusing players than providing entertainment.  If anything, DDO went from "this works" to "this is a steaming pile of shit" because of the developer revolving door with systems.

TL;DR: EQ had an effective line manager, DDO does not.

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #243 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Ckorik wrote on Oct 17th, 2013 at 10:52am:

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/30521911/La+Roux++0491.png

I guess it's subjective because I found her attractive, too.  Then again, I found Cindi Lauper attractive when she got famous, as well.

IP Logged

hgm-chi
Dragon Raider

Meh.

Reply #244 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:35pm:
But La Roux is

Jesus, that is fucking terrible.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #245 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
hgm-chi wrote on Oct 17th, 2013 at 2:26pm:

I didn't want to go that far.. But I did watch the entire video from the link (never heard of her before). I will not be willingly listening/watching her again.

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

IMARANGER
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #246 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Avalon was pretty good.

OnePercenter wrote on Jan 19th, 2014 at 5:32pm:
I agree with 0bama...

OnePercenter wrote on Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:18am:
Not saying that others weren't better, just that quantity does not always indicate quality...  I mean, look at my post count...

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Reply #247 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
[quote author=27302621550 link=1381356843/229#229 date=1381952141]

But La Roux is

[quote]

I liked it better when Yaz did it.  And speaking of derivative...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/12/03/article-0-0011FEF300000258-586_224x423...

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #248 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
hgm-chi wrote on Oct 17th, 2013 at 2:26pm:

Don't you have pretty awful taste in music Yog? Tongue

IP Logged

hgm-chi
Dragon Raider

Meh.

Reply #249 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Oct 17th, 2013 at 6:44pm:
Don't you have pretty awful taste in music Yog? Tongue

My wife's parents think I do.  So, no.  No I don't.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 
Send TopicPrint