Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Free Civ5 or Mafia 2 (Read 531 times)
Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Free Civ5 or Mafia 2
Oct 12th, 2013 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Not sure if this was posted here yet, but you can get a free copy of Civ 5 or Mafia 2 by voting in the Golden Joystick awards.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/joystick/?p=cvgeditorial

Still waiting for my code to show up, but the kids said it took 24 hours. They're busy playing Civ 5 already, so it must work.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Re: Free Civ5 or Mafia 2
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks! Been wanting to try one of the CIV games, just never got around to it. If it's free now I have no excuse.

IP Logged

dilnu
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
It works btw i got my fee copy of mafia 2

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Never got my code Sad

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
clicked the link i got a few days ago and it said they were closing the promotion. son of a bitch! they got my votes for free!  Angry  Angry  Angry

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 12:24am
Print Post  
rest wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 8:42pm:
Never got my code Sad

same

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 12:39am
Print Post  
We got emails after voting with links which did nothing.

When we clicked the links again after waiting 24 hours, the steam keys were then sent to our email addresses. Three different accounts here, and it worked for all of us.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

Slug
Shroud Slacker

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 1:31am
Print Post  
I got a code for Civ5, had to wait a day though.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 2:40am
Print Post  
I got a code too, had to wait.

I have to say that I am very proud of myself. As I donīt have time to play, I thought about giving the code to some of you that didnīt get it, for example rest, I like the guy.
Of course I didnīt give him the code, but I am very proud that I thought about it for some minutes.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #9 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Quote:

I have to say that I am very proud of myself. As I donīt have time to play, I thought about giving the code to some of you that didnīt get it, for example rest, I like the guy.
Of course I didnīt give him the code, but I am very proud that I thought about it for some minutes.

In solidarity with your conscienciousness, i am wearing green feathers all day today!

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #10 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Oct 19th, 2013 at 10:26am:
conscienciousness

This is the longest actual word I've seen posted in the vault in the last 3 years. Stop showing off and dumb it down for us. Ok, me. No, us. Really.

*back to counting potatoes*

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #11 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Thanks for thinking of me.

I still have like 5 or 6 games from the steam summer sale I haven't played. Plus I've been playing eve and GTA online too. This 14 day ban has been great for broadening my horizons!

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
OK, it was the Google tab view thing - it was in a pre-created tab called "promotions" that I ignored.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #13 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Re-clicked the link that told me it was shut down a few days ago, and I am currently downloading Civ V

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #14 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Oct 19th, 2013 at 9:25pm:
Re-clicked the link that told me it was shut down a few days ago, and I am currently downloading Civ V

You know, the Fed Govt was shut down a few days ago... NSA bugging our machines?  Cheesy

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #15 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Got in on the last day it seems, thanks!

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Civ 5 is great fun, I'm even considering buying the expansions.  It really feels pretty nostalgic for me, so many hours playing Civ II having to dual boot win 3.1 into DOS just to have enough RAM to play ;_;

Strategy spoilers if you want to ruin the game:

Capital build order: scout (x2 or 3) -> worker -> monument -> settler x2 -> archers x2 (for clearing barb camps and warding off attacks, (Granary sometime, maybe before archers and/or settlers)

2nd city build order: worker (if you can't steal one from a city state) -> monument

Social policies: liberty, 1 free settler, 2 for half off -> Tradition: +15% on wonders

4 cities 7 tiles apart.  On higher difficulties, it's really important to have tiles that have luxuries and the tech to improve them, otherwise you'll be stagnated really fast. 

Tech: depends on race.  You'll want to pick up tech for improving luxury tiles, and then fast tech to certain things depending on race.  E.g., Arabia you'll want to fast tech to bazaar.  China, you'll wan to fast tech to paper maker.  Egypt tech up to philosophy for great library and further wonder spamming.  France, you'll want to try to avoid steam for obvious reasons. 

If you get the 2nd expansion, poland is supposedly extremely imba. 

After that focus on increasing your numerical advantages, which will start to snowball into a massive end game advantage.  Spam wonders.  Have enough units to ward off attacks, especially at borders.  It's very important NOT to expand more than 4 cities, the penalties and costs are just too large. 

In higher difficulties, supposedly some wonders are impossible to get due to cheating AI.  I'm only playing on emperor? difficulty at the moment.

IP Logged

dilnu
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Oct 20th, 2013 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Civ 5 is awesome i have the expansion.  Another pro tip get in war asap you need xp especially on the higher diffs.

IP Logged

totally
DQ Assaulter

Reply #18 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 6:27am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Oct 20th, 2013 at 5:54pm:
In higher difficulties, supposedly some wonders are impossible to get due to cheating AI.  I'm only playing on emperor? difficulty at the moment

I'm a regular deity player, and yes. It is basically not possible to get wonders on deity. Immortal you can still manage sometimes if you beeline hard. Deity you can sometimes pick up a couple of odd ones that AI doesn't seem to prioritise as much such as the Oracle, Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, and some of the late game wonders once you've evened up the tech disavantage. Higher difficulties are all about tech. Pretty much any civ, you try and take advantage of your UA/UU/UB while trying to tech fairly directly to Philosophy for the national college, then universities, then public schools. If you're going to have any chance of winning, you will need to be at about tech parity with the leaders by the time you hit public schools, and you will almost always then need to hit dynamite (if on pangaea), or flight (if on any sort of continents), in order to take out the one or two AIs that are steamrollering (there is almost always one or two).

The expansions are well worth picking up, they add a lot to the game and make the AI (slightly) less stupid.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #19 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 7:47am
Print Post  
Am I the only person who picked Mafia 2 ?

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

dilnu
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Oct 21st, 2013 at 7:47am:
Am I the only person who picked Mafia 2 ?

No i picked it as well cause i already own the civ expansions.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Oct 30th, 2013 at 5:56am
Print Post  
Here's an awesome (if old) diety playthrough based on civ V vanilla.  It's a great and hilarious read for me, since I'm new to the game Tongue

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=411077

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #22 - Oct 30th, 2013 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Oct 19th, 2013 at 8:53pm:
OK, it was the Google tab view thing - it was in a pre-created tab called "promotions"

Hate that, quickly recombined my inbox back.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #23 - Nov 3rd, 2013 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Oct 30th, 2013 at 5:56am:
Here's an awesome (if old) diety playthrough based on civ V vanilla.  It's a great and hilarious read for me, since I'm new to the game Tongue

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=411077

I Just started - ugh, I see why it had so many old-schoolers pissed.  1 unit per tile, the hexes, and the UI feels like a bad windows metro throwback.

Off to civfanatics to read up on getting the look and feel part alleviated, at least.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #24 - Nov 4th, 2013 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Nov 3rd, 2013 at 5:20pm:
I Just started - ugh, I see why it had so many old-schoolers pissed.  1 unit per tile, the hexes, and the UI feels like a bad windows metro throwback..

You have no idea, while I'm still spending a lot of time in DDO, I've been hit regularly bu those stupid changed...
I can't make heaps of fighting units on top of my Generals to kick the ass out of anything that comes in range.
and I won't talk about the Hex thingie... It's hellish for an old Civ Hand.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint