Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) when will the investigation end? (Read 28790 times)
no.
DQ Assaulter

Just no.

when will the investigation end?
Oct 12th, 2013 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
I'm not a computer person.  Let's say, completely hypothetically, that I sat at the bank for 5 hours duplicating my brains out, but have not yet been banned. The hotfix, I believe, was on Monday. It's now Saturday, and I doubt there will be much action on Turbine's part over the weekend.

Is my name already on someone's desk, or have I been overlooked? Also, how feasible would it be to hide out by TRing but not completing character set up to get back into the game world?

Completely hypothetically.  Cool

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Re: when will the investigation end?
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
no. wrote on Oct 12th, 2013 at 4:46pm:
I'm not a computer person.  Let's say, completely hypothetically, that I sat at the bank for 5 hours duplicating my brains out, but have not yet been banned. The hotfix, I believe, was on Monday. It's now Saturday, and I doubt there will be much action on Turbine's part over the weekend.

Is my name already on someone's desk, or have I been overlooked? Also, how feasible would it be to hide out by TRing but not completing character set up to get back into the game world?

Completely hypothetically.  Cool

List out your toon names and server, and we can give you a better answer for your specific situation.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Or better yet, send an e-mail to Turbine customer service and ask them.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
SOON™

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
umm....I think you have come to the wrong place for useful advice.  Smiley

To answer your question:
Knowing how few resources Turbine have and not knowing how many dupers there were, the investigations could take many weeks or longer depending how hurt their feelings are right now.  Turbine definitely won't tell you.

<chuckle> You cannot hide.  It's not your character they will look at, but your account and any logs they may or may not have.
Besides Tolero is coming for you with "extreme prejudice", so we know you cannot hide from that!  Smiley

And to quote a wonderful movie, "You've been a very naughty boy Brian!"  Smiley

According to the forums, the bans are still rolling out.
So put the champagne on ice, play the game normally and cross your fingers. 
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2013 at 6:32pm by DropBear »  

IP Logged

Ckorik
Dragon Raider

N00b

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
The AS marketplace is back - I have to assume the bans are pretty much done with.

At least I have to assume they don't want to risk having it flooded with stuff again causing another weekend of no sleep.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
20-stacks of green scales were at 250k bids this morning on Khyber.. Plenty of scales up for shard auction too.. But who knows which, if any, are duped.

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2013 at 9:12pm by cdr »  

IP Logged

Quak
Dragon Raider

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 3:05am
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Oct 12th, 2013 at 9:05pm:
20-stacks of green scales were at 250k bids this morning on Khyber.. Plenty of scales up for shard auction too.. But who knows which, if any, are duped.

sarlona is completely "clean" of any mat stacks on the ah..

IP Logged

TallGuy
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 3:29am
Print Post  
I would expect so. (most) of the dupers are probably banned for two weeks, their auctions elapsed and won't be put back up.

The question is, will the stacks return in two weeks or not.

IP Logged

Ire
Korthos Resident

Reply #10 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 3:57am
Print Post  
TallGuy wrote on Oct 13th, 2013 at 3:29am:
I would expect so. (most) of the dupers are probably banned for two weeks, their auctions elapsed and won't be put back up.

The question is, will the stacks return in two weeks or not.

"most" dupers are not banned, from my perspective they haven't even gotten one in ten so far. The people not banned are not going to put things on the AH for fear of drawing attention to themselves after the bans started.

IP Logged

SwashbucklerHater
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 5:30am
Print Post  
Maybe they just finished banning everyone who posted duped stuff on the AH and with the bannings rolling out someone who puts duped stacks into the ASAH now would be really stupid anyways.
But yeah... I am very sure some are stupid enough to do so. Cheesy (So maybe Turbine has this in mind too)

So yeah I would say at the current state it should be save that the ASAH opened again. But I would be carefull with buying any amounts of items which could be duped until Turbine says they finished investigations.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 5:40am
Print Post  
They really should not come out and say they are done with looking into things.

Makes them look even more dumb, If that's even possible.

Correct thing for them to say is they will be leaving it open and on an per account basis. To attempt to look decent at very least.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #13 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 6:19am
Print Post  
Bannings will continue IMO. 

Make a copy of the relevant tables.  Say when you have access to the DB in a nice static state, such as when you are performing maintenance.  This gives you a nice baseline to investigate from. 

They do an SQL query to see who put Ingredients/Augments up on ASAH order by Item Name and Stack Size, grouped by Account.  Then they investigate those by hand looking at Dragon Scales, Relics, Shroud Ingredients, Augment Removers etc. 

Do the same for peoples inventory+bank+shared bank looking for the same list as above but include BTA and BTC things such as commendations and challenge rewards.  Then investigate by hand. 

Obvious outliers of these things can be instantly banned. 
If you have more than 1000 Heroic Commendations. 
If you have posted more than 10 soul gems or true blood augments or more than 100 scales.

There will be (a few?) people charged with investigating the lists produced and taking the decisions (GM's).  Those people will be investigating for a few weeks working their way down the lists produced. 
At some point they will stop the investigation, and people who are below that cut off will get away with it because it's not worth them continuing the investigation any further. 

The lists will still exist after the top 1000 people on it are dealt with (a random number pulled out of my hat), and the next 25,000 (again a random number) will have a "suspicious activity" marker put on their account.  When something happens in the future involving that account the GM's should investigate the suspicious activity in detail to see if they look like they were dupers. 

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #14 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 7:36am
Print Post  
Another point is that they are not going to tell when the investigation ends.

That way they can ( try to ) keep us in line for a few month.

To add to Winnie The Poo post, as I already said : ( expanded )

They are going down the list, with a human being checking everything :

- First list : those that posted stacks of 100 Scales ( any flavor ) in the AH/ASAH.
- Second list : those that have stacks of 100+ Commendations, 1000+ Scales in the bank/inventory/bag/TR Vault  and that are not in First list.
- Third list : those that appeared on the logs once they activated them [ probably at announcement time ] and that are not in the above two list.
- Fourth List : those that have large stacks of anything.
( I'm in that list, I have heaps of Cannith Ingredients both in bag and in the shared bank, they all come from deconstructing loot, but the sheer size of the stacks makes me suspect, as if you all all the bag contents that's more than 10K of each lesser essence [ And I've already given stacks of 10K body essences to guildies for a few month because they were fucking up my bank space], I don't know why I still bother with them as Cannith is now more or less useless. )

The last list is those that does not fit in the above lists and they are not going to be investigated by a GM.

Edit : now they also have to take into account that mass bans of all the dupers would hurt the game more than leaving the small fry alone. [ those that duped just enough scales to get an armor, enough challenge rewards to get an item, or a few Greensteel ingredients to have enough to get items done. ]
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2013 at 7:39am by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Why they might announce an end
Reply #15 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 8:51am
Print Post  
While I think the reasons for leaving the investigations open ended will outweigh it, there *is* a reason to announce an end to investigations - the "in limbo" effect.

There are probably a lot of small time dupers who are reluctant to do much with the game until they learn what is going to happen to them.

Even non-dupers might be afraid to post stacks of anything on the ASAH (a moneymaker for Turbine) if they think it will trigger a false positive in an ongoing investigation.

Many players will feel a general sense of unease knowing there is a "secret" investigation going on, which history has proved may punish completely innocent people.

Turbine might want to get closure and put this mess behind them, work on the future rather than belabor the past.

But then again, they are Turbine, and as Carpone observed, that's not really their passion  Roll Eyes

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 10:16am
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Oct 13th, 2013 at 6:19am:
Then investigate by hand.

[...]

The lists will still exist after the top 1000 people on it are dealt with (a random number pulled out of my hat), and the next 25,000 (again a random number) will have a "suspicious activity" marker put on their account.  When something happens in the future involving that account the GM's should investigate the suspicious activity in detail to see if they look like they were dupers.   

This is unrealistic; it doesn't scale.  The only way Turbine can get scale on action like this is using GMs.  We all know that GMs barely know the basics about the game, and can't do a damned thing off script.  The amount of time to train GMs to do incident response is too massive, and checking up on GMs so they aren't abusing their new found vigilante justice is too much of a nightmare.

Quote:
Obvious outliers of these things can be instantly banned. 
If you have more than 1000 Heroic Commendations. 
If you have posted more than 10 soul gems or true blood augments or more than 100 scales.

100 white/blue/black scales is not an indicator of duping.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #17 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Oct 13th, 2013 at 10:16am:
100 white/blue/black scales is not an indicator of duping.

Posted in AH over that period, not owned.  But yeah, lets set the bar at 200 scales instead, that would be pretty much guaranteed.

IP Logged

DropBear

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #18 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Anyone know how Turbine source their GM's?
Is it outsourced to an Indian IT firm?

Because it sure seems like it at the rate they close tickets and how few powers most of them have.
Some GM's seem pretty good, but most are definitely script jockeys.

With the latter, I cannot see them being very effective investigators and share the concerns of the posters above in that innocents will get hit.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #19 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Oct 13th, 2013 at 1:32pm:
Anyone know how Turbine source their GM's?
Is it outsourced to an Indian IT firm?

Probably not.
My Indians sit on cases for two weeks before looking at them and trying to close them for silly reasons.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Oct 13th, 2013 at 11:09am:
Posted in AH over that period, not owned.  But yeah, lets set the bar at 200 scales instead, that would be pretty much guaranteed.

Tor scales? Nah, too easy to get.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #21 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Oct 13th, 2013 at 3:30pm:
Tor scales? Nah, too easy to get.

how many have you got?  By Type. 

Do you really have a stack of 200 Flawless Black Scales? 
How many people doyou think have a stack of 200 Red Scales?

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #22 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Oct 13th, 2013 at 3:34pm:
how many have you got?  By Type. 

Do you really have a stack of 200 Flawless Black Scales? 
How many people doyou think have a stack of 200 Red Scales? 

I had a stack of 270 black scales from tons of fruitless EE runs for bloods. Sold most of them off through the AH though.

Never quite broke 100 on reds.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #23 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
SwashbucklerHater wrote on Oct 13th, 2013 at 5:30am:
Maybe they just finished banning everyone who posted duped stuff on the AH and with the bannings rolling out someone who puts duped stacks into the ASAH now would be really stupid anyways.

Nah, never posted any duped stuffs on AH or ASAH, but had fat stacks of stuff and still got the 14 day.

Mailed a bunch to friends.  Hoping they don't get nailed just because I shared the wealth.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Shadehater

Smite Stupid!

Reply #24 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Oct 13th, 2013 at 5:20pm:
Nah, never posted any duped stuffs on AH or ASAH, but had fat stacks of stuff and still got the 14 day.

Mailed a bunch to friends.  Hoping they don't get nailed just because I shared the wealth.

You are like the Santa of bannings. Or Oprah.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint