Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) when will the investigation end? (Read 29059 times)
Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Re: when will the investigation end?
Reply #125 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:10am
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 3:17pm:
ut, good thing Turbine builds games and not something actually important for daily existence, like traffic light systems.

You don't need a computer for traffic light system., Just wires and mechanical timers.
It was one of the funny stuff I got to learn to build at school.

Asheras wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 3:51pm:
X.25?  The precursor to Frame Relay?  Seriously?  Did you just step out of a Delorean?  You do know this is 2013, right? 

Fail, Frame relay is LAPB which is what carries X.25. it just became fashionable to reduce the lag ( abused term here ) generated by all the redundancy and safeties of X.25 when cabling became good enough.

And in telecom we are still using X.25... even if most of the time it ends up in XOT tunnels.

As pointed the X.25 network was officially terminated last year. ( officiously you can still get X.25 access, it's just a cable to a router that then encapsulate it in IP, while before it was pure X.25 )

X.25 and Minitel( Teletel ) Services are not linked... You can still use your Minitels, it's just that you have to call a server directly instead of using the Teletel ( 3615/3616/3617 ) service.
Consider the minitel to be like a VT100 with an integrated modem that can call BBS', It's also why Internet was slow to appear widespread in Froggy Land. Why should have we bothered to pay ( a lot ) for a modem or ISDN access ( and after slow DSL ) when we could have the same kind of services ( and more ) for free on the Minitel.

Asheras wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 5:13pm:
As well as System/360 IBM Mainframes.  Hell, some companies still have programs written in COBOL.  But that doesn't mean there's much of a career path in that being your core competency. 

Got some beast like that at corporate level at work...
And who said it was my core competency ? I just said that I was the Goto Frog for that, but I never said that it was the only thing I know.... ( I'm also the semi-official goto Frog when it comes to Solaris and Sun/Oracle hardware, and I'm Certified  ECA-IPN Associate [ if you can find what that means ] as well as a few other things... IIRC I posted a list of the things I've worked on somewhere in the Vault )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #126 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:10am
Print Post  
yabb

IP Logged

Illiterate
Titan Demolisher

Yataaaa

Reply #127 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 6:10am
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 3:57pm:
So it was 'new' to them still!

No it was a free Internet from the 80s. People who couldn't afford the new Internet were still using it (and old fucks like Flav masturbating with "3615 CUM") when it was closed.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #128 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:10am:
You don't need a computer for traffic light system., Just wires and mechanical timers.

Fail, Frame relay is LAPB which is what carries X.25. it just became fashionable to reduce the lag ( abused term here ) generated by all the redundancy and safeties of X.25 when cabling became good enough.

And in telecom we are still using X.25... even if most of the time it ends up in XOT tunnels.

As pointed the X.25 network was officially terminated last year. ( officiously you can still get X.25 access, it's just a cable to a router that then encapsulate it in IP, while before it was pure X.25 )

X.25 and Minitel( Teletel ) Services are not linked... You can still use your Minitels, it's just that you have to call a server directly instead of using the Teletel ( 3615/3616/3617 ) service.
Consider the minitel to be like a VT100 with an integrated modem that can call BBS', It's also why Internet was slow to appear widespread in Froggy Land. Why should have we bothered to pay ( a lot ) for a modem or ISDN access ( and after slow DSL ) when we could have the same kind of services ( and more ) for free on the Minitel.

Got some beast like that at corporate level at work...
And who said it was my core competency ? I just said that I was the Goto Frog for that, but I never said that it was the only thing I know.... ( I'm also the semi-official goto Frog when it comes to Solaris and Sun/Oracle hardware, and I'm Certified  ECA-IPN Associate [ if you can find what that means ] as well as a few other things... IIRC I posted a list of the things I've worked on somewhere in the Vault )

My point remains...Why would you choose an ancient protocol like x.25 to establish credibility over Sun/Oracle or other more relevant technologies.  I was a Novell CNE, ECNE, and Certified Instructor at one time on NetWare 3, 4, and 5.  Not that anyone would give a shit.  If I was going to establish credibility in a DB Scripting discussion I'd reference something slightly more relevant than a 40 year old telecom protocol. 

BTW, just for clarification, I believe from your posts that you are a very strong technical mind.  I was just busting you chops for referencing X.25.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #129 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 10:00am:
My point remains...Why would you choose an ancient protocol like x.25 to establish credibility over Sun/Oracle or other more relevant technologies.  I was a Novell CNE, ECNE, and Certified Instructor at one time on NetWare 3, 4, and 5.  Not that anyone would give a shit.  If I was going to establish credibility in a DB Scripting discussion I'd reference something slightly more relevant than a 40 year old telecom protocol.

BTW, just for clarification, I believe from your posts that you are a very strong technical mind.  I was just busting you chops for referencing X.25.

France was the last large scale bastion of X.25, their system was alleged to have had over 800k users when it was deprecated in like 2011.  So to them, it was relevant.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #130 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 10:17am:
France was the last large scale bastion of X.25, their system was alleged to have had over 800k users when it was deprecated in like 2012.  So to them, it was relevant.

fify.

Official cutoff date for the true X.25 network was 30 June 2012.
After that date all the access were moved to XOT.

Side note : France used to be a huge bastion for telecoms, and telecom protocols.... Years ahead of the rest of the world.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #131 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 10:27am:
fify.

Official cutoff date for the true X.25 network was 30 June 2012.
After that date all the access were moved to XOT.

Side note : France used to be a huge bastion for telecoms, and telecom protocols.... Years ahead of the rest of the world.

Until they surrendered their position to other countries... Wink

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #132 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
They had the help of the European Union and of the Frog Politicians. But yes they have surrendered... More or less....

Now I'm really waiting to see how things are going to happen when all the Operators in Europe gets the idea that they are small fry compared to Japanese or American ( North and South ) Operators, and that if one of them wants to go hunting in Europe they are going to be small fry... Even the Big Boys like BT, FT, DT, ...

IP Logged

Flint
Stormreaver Piker

I'm a Halfling on the
EDGE!

Reply #133 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 8:55pm:
We just finished migrating a new client from their old software to our offerings.  Their old system was a DoS based database application using Btrieve ISAM files.  They had been running that old junk for over 25 years. 

25 years? is that all?

Try working in healthcare!

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #134 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Flint wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 1:22pm:
25 years? is that all?

Try working in healthcare!

Nty.  I like my sanity.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #135 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
In some places for Telecom 25 years is half the expected life of the things ( and if you talk about the last kilometer, it's considered to be still in it's prime... )

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #136 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:10am:

We don't need computers for many things, but we need to sell software.

Systems are cycling so fast in the healthcare space it's fairly ridiculous.  We're lucky to get 10 years out of a major system before it's getting replaced, and only the biggest and hardest to remove last that long.  Quite a bit of that is facilitated by the HL7 protocol and ability to buy/swap in vendor products for a couple years, then buy something else.

Under the covers though, you would be terrified at what gets done to keep your health information straight.  We've got employees making daily unaudited direct database updates to clinical system tables of major vendor software because they couldn't code an atomic transactional system to save their life.  So, as much as you fear Turbine accessing your toon, I'd fear the computer system in your community hospital far more.  Shocked

ETA:  Even worse, nearly all major clincial systems are frankensystems stitched together by buying up smaller software vendors and knitting their stuff together with some glue code.
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:16pm by iliveyourdream13 »  

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #137 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:13pm:
Systems are cycling so fast in the healthcare space it's fairly ridiculous.  We're lucky to get 10 years out of a major system before it's getting replaced, and only the biggest and hardest to remove last that long.  Quite a bit of that is facilitated by the HL7 protocol and ability to buy/swap in vendor products for a couple years, then buy something else.

HIPAA Security Rule compliance will make systems rotate faster than every 10 years.  The frequency is equivalent to the life cycle of an operating system.  When the OS is no longer supported, then the EMR/biomed/etc device requires an upgrade.

Quote:
Under the covers though, you would be terrified at what gets done to keep your health information straight.  We've got employees making daily unaudited direct database updates to clinical system tables of a major vendor software because the couldn't code an atomic transactional system to save their life.  So, as much as you fear Turbine accessing your toon, I'd fear the computer system in your community hospital far more.  Shocked

Indeed.  There are too many mom+pop vendors in the healthcare space that have no idea what the hell they are doing.  The number of healthcare systems I've seen that can't integrate with enterprise directory services (LDAP, AD, etc) exceeds the number that can.  Yeah, an organization with 500 applications wants to manage the majority of them with local user accounts.  Not.

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Reply #138 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Now which one of you has the biggest slide rule?

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

no.
DQ Assaulter

Just no.

Reply #139 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Turbine has some serious searching to do if they want to find my dupes.

I've mailed some to characters on accounts I know to be permabanned.

I added a ton of guild chests on the airship, filled them, and let them expire.

And to really trip them up, I sold/traded a lot. Then bought some obviously duped items myself.

I feel like a dog burying my favorite bone.

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #140 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:18pm:
HIPAA Security Rule compliance will make systems rotate faster than every 10 years.  The frequency is equivalent to the life cycle of an operating system.  When the OS is no longer supported, then the EMR/biomed/etc device requires an upgrade.

Indeed.  There are too many mom+pop vendors in the healthcare space that have no idea what the hell they are doing.  The number of healthcare systems I've seen that can't integrate with enterprise directory services (LDAP, AD, etc) exceeds the number that can.  Yeah, an organization with 500 applications wants to manage the majority of them with local user accounts.  Not.

I agree most healthcare software goes out of use before 10 years.  Clin-doc systems have lasted that long with us, but more often because of the difficultly in replacing them without creating a bunch of "sentinel events" resulting in a full morgue.

Mom-n-pops have nothing on the major vendors.  99% of sold healthcare software is garbage.  The major vendors just sell a bigger pile of more expensive garbage.  Then you buy even more garbage to make up for what the first pile doesn't do (as opposed to what they said it would do).  I especially enjoy it now when executives buy garbage direct from salepeople, no vetting, then tell IT to install it in 90 days.

But hey, it's HL7 compliant, so just plug 'n play amirite...?  Roll Eyes

HIPAA schmIPAA, don't nurses just write their passwords on little sticky notes they stick to the bottom of their keyboards?  On the other hand, ever changing government regs keep me gainfully employed.  It's a make work program for software devs. Grin

Actually had #1 US Clinical System vendor "integration/product" architects tell us that they called their software interface views "perspectives" because they were built in Java (when all they did was slap together an Eclipse application). 

Don't get sick!  Shocked

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #141 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
OnePercenter wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:24pm:

Depends how hard the calculation is.

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #142 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
no. wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:33pm:
Turbine has some serious searching to do if they want to find my dupes.

I've mailed some to characters on accounts I know to be permabanned.

I added a ton of guild chests on the airship, filled them, and let them expire.

And to really trip them up, I sold/traded a lot. Then bought some obviously duped items myself.

I feel like a dog burying my favorite bone.

Sucks if Turbine brings a backhoe and bulldozer to your boneyard.

Extreme prejudice ftw!   Cheesy

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Reply #143 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:43pm:
Depends how hard the calculation is.

Well played!

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #144 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:42pm:
99% of sold healthcare software is garbage.  The major vendors just sell a bigger pile of more expensive garbage. 

McKesson is a four letter word.

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #145 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
OnePercenter wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:24pm:

I just grabbed my K&E(Keuffel & Esser) 12.5 inch slide rule with a leather case and a belt loop.

Unfortunately, one of the clear viewers on one side is cracked.  But since it is a slide rule, it still functions.

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #146 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 6:43pm:
McKesson is a four letter word.

True, but Cerner is a motherfucker.   Cheesy

And, don't get any Siemens on you...

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #147 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 8:59pm:
True, but Cerner is a motherfucker.   Cheesy

And, don't get any Siemens on you...

Cerner and Siemens aren't angels, but no one has discovered hardcoded plaintext database passwords embedded in their shell scripts like McKesson.

http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2009/Oct/261

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #148 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 2:35am
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:13pm:
you fear Turbine accessing your toon, I'd fear the computer system in your community hospital far more.

It's Froggy Land here, while it's not as bad as NHS was a few years ago across the Chunnel ( I'm sure Tere or another Rosbeef can detail it to you ), National Healthcare is well... in bad health... They don't have the money to afford replacing equipment every few years... So they have 25 years old stuff.
Your medical file is... a paper file.  [ that's the big talk for some years now : get it digital, and put it somewhere safe where it can be accessed while preserving confidentiality { remember French Law about personal data that can be accessed at will by the person }.... So far the best idea they came up with is to put it on our Social Security Card... but for that they have to upgrade the chip on all the cards ]

( remember : Froggy Land, Healthcare is mostly a public system... There's a few private clinics, but that's usually small scale businesses, that usually don't go into ER and heavy surgery... )
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2013 at 2:40am by Flav »  

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #149 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 10:24pm:
Cerner and Siemens aren't angels, but no one has discovered hardcoded plaintext database passwords embedded in their shell scripts like McKesson.

http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2009/Oct/261

Can't speak to their relative data security.  I let other people who worry about securing data deal w/ that.

Can speak to the data that is secured, and let's just say you can put a steaming pile of shit into vault, it doesn't make it more valuable.  Having a system eat it's own shit data does make securing it less important however.

Having to support and write a bastard of a bastardized version of SQL called Cerner Control Language, that's just dysentry gravy.  But hey, they have a beautiful employee exercise facility on their KC campus.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Send TopicPrint