Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) when will the investigation end? (Read 28807 times)
pnellesen
Titan Demolisher

We can't all just get
along.

Re: when will the investigation end?
Reply #25 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Ire wrote on Oct 13th, 2013 at 3:57am:
The people not banned are not going to put things on the AH for fear of drawing attention to themselves after the bans started.

Well - if they have any sense at all, they aren't going to put them on the AH in quantities that would draw attention...

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #26 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Shadehater wrote on Oct 13th, 2013 at 5:51pm:
You are like the Santa of bannings. Or Oprah. 

I'm Zvarte Piet?

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #27 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
no. wrote on Oct 12th, 2013 at 4:46pm:
I'm not a computer person.  Let's say, completely hypothetically, that I sat at the bank for 5 hours duplicating my brains out, but have not yet been banned. The hotfix, I believe, was on Monday. It's now Saturday, and I doubt there will be much action on Turbine's part over the weekend.

Is my name already on someone's desk, or have I been overlooked? Also, how feasible would it be to hide out by TRing but not completing character set up to get back into the game world?

Completely hypothetically.  Cool

I would like to say that Turbine could write a functioning SQL query to do it, but they can't.

it is not hard either.  Something like this

Select item, acctid from bank where stack size = 0 inner join where item, acctid in (Select item from inventory where stack size > 2)

This is where you find players that could do the exploit and what they could have done it with.

Since they SHOULD run database backups, they run the exact same script against a saved database.

You vary the quantity in the SQL query and you compile a list of accounts that PROBABLY duplicated.

Because any account that went from X number to a LARGE y number in that time frame, probably duplicated.

You then refine the list down.  By looking for the common occurrence.  Such as Large Devil Scales, Orbs, etc.

I am sure that if I was given 40 hours to determine the EXACT guilty parties, and not being familiar with their database at all, I could do it in that time frame.

The next question you have to ask is, how far does Turbine drill down because of the Mabar bannings?  They seem gun shy, but the mabar bannings were rectified pretty quickly and Turbine gave players 250 TP.

To answer your question since you hypothetically dulpicated for five hours.

YOUR NAME IS ON THE PRINTOUT.
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2013 at 8:22pm by notajedi »  

IP Logged

DDOcrackhead
Stormreaver Piker

Worlds: Khyber, Wayfinder

Reply #28 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 11:31am
Print Post  
1 week into the McCarthy investigation and still live and kicking!  Grin

***TWF-Kalashtar, 1-st hand: Nerf-hammer, 2-nd hand: Troll-hammer. Intimidate 500. Bluff 600***

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #29 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 11:54am
Print Post  
DDOcrackhead wrote on Oct 14th, 2013 at 11:31am:
1 week into the McCarthy investigation and still live and kicking!  Grin

Nice association.  Turbine will be about as accurate I'd imagine.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #30 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Oct 13th, 2013 at 3:34pm:
how many have you got?  By Type. 

Do you really have a stack of 200 Flawless Black Scales? 
How many people doyou think have a stack of 200 Red Scales? 

200 scales is not outside the realm of possibility for red.  Over 500 would be suspicious.  Green, over 150-200 would be suspicious, imo.  For Tor scales, over 500 might start to look questionable, but still very much possible.  The drop rate is crazy high. 

A quick search of your quest logs would be able to give them a good idea whether you were that active enough in EE's or  raids to farm the items or not. 

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #31 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Oct 13th, 2013 at 8:17pm:
I would like to say that Turbine could write a functioning SQL query to do it, but they can't.

Do you guys REALLY think that a 300 some employee IT company doesn't have someone who can write a basic SQL SELECT statement that they teach in middle school these days?  Something that 30k per year employees can do? 

Come on.  I think they make a ton of mistakes but these kind of comments just make you sound stupid. 

There is sarcasm and irony and then there is just talking out your ass.

Queue up the Turbine fanboy comments for injecting some reality in the ranting.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #32 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 14th, 2013 at 12:05pm:
Queue up the Turbine fanboy comments for injecting some reality in the ranting.

If that were the case they would have been able to do rollbacks and not affect Store purchases.  Can't have it both ways.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #33 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Oct 14th, 2013 at 12:08pm:
If that were the case they would have been able to do rollbacks and not affect Store purchases.  Can't have it both ways.

How so?  How can you roll back one and not affect the other?
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2013 at 12:15pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 14th, 2013 at 12:15pm:

You already provided the answer:

Do you guys REALLY think that a 300 some employee IT company doesn't have someone who can write a basic SQL SELECT statement that they teach in middle school these days?  Something that 30k per year employees can do? 

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #35 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 14th, 2013 at 12:15pm:

Depends on the time between database backups.  But you can easily run a Diff first, compare results, then exclude fields you don't want modified, like the Store and experience.

A lot of it depends on DB structure.  Even if inventory is a blob field, you can still do it, the query just gets weirder.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #36 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Asheras, do you really have an idea of the amount of work in sql needed to fix inconsistencies between bases ? ( if not look at the SQL weirding thread, my query was done to pull out those inconsistencies.... and I only work(ed) with phone numbers )

Now to get a Good SQL DBA that will be able to code queries on the fly it takes more than a 300ish people IT company.

Been there done that got the scars, and it was only LDAP. ( and phone numbers )

I was the guy happy LDAPing the queries to extract the phone numbers
A colleague was happy coding the injection in the other database ( as well as the reformatting from my output ) of the data I extracted.
And a second colleague was happy camping on the phone with the customer rolling out every half hour that yes we were going to be done by the deadline, that yes all the missed phone numbers were going to be back in the DB, and that yes by 7 AM on monday we will be able to open again the service. ( and we did it, at 7 AM I was almost in my bed we detected the problem at 5PM on Sunday, were all on site at 6PM and went into Happy Frenzy all night long, To the annoyance of the Project Mangler [ he didn't keep in touch, he didn't bother to keep in touch, he discovered on monday morning that the impossible happened : he had nobody to tell him how thing went )

And it was only LDAP and phone numbers.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Reply #37 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Several times over the last couple of years I've thought "Do they just not have a DB guy?".  No proof of anything of course, just a gut feeling that they are light in this department.

The last time I can remember was the whole "We can't tell 1st year Festival Frost from normal Frost" thing.  Really?  How frigging hard could it be to write a script to check the weapon parameters and figure it out?  Worst case they put Festival Frost on some weapons that don't deserve it.  That's way better than raising the ML's on all those weapons that people put a lot of time or plat into.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #38 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Do you guys REALLY think that a 300 some employee IT company

I thought Turbine as a whole was 140 before the layoffs, and that had to cover IC, LOTR, AC, and DDO, with DDO being the red headed step child.

So wouldn't that put DDO at more like 20-40 employees?

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #39 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Oct 14th, 2013 at 12:56pm:
Depends on the time between database backups.  But you can easily run a Diff first, compare results, then exclude fields you don't want modified, like the Store and experience.

A lot of it depends on DB structure.  Even if inventory is a blob field, you can still do it, the query just gets weirder.

Are you actually suggesting that they could rollback just inventory and yet keep experience earned and/or store transactions?  How stupid are you?  Where do you think store sales go?  Into inventory.  What happens when you consume inventory items that were store purchased?  Which potentially affects experience earned, stats, skills, just about any aspect of your database.  You can't isolate just certain portions for rollback.  It's all or nothing.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #40 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
GooFY wrote on Oct 14th, 2013 at 1:54pm:
We can't tell 1st year Festival Frost from normal Frost" thing.  Really?

It is possible, especially with the way that item effects worked then vs now.

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Reply #41 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Oct 14th, 2013 at 2:26pm:
It is possible, especially with the way that item effects worked then vs now.

I get that they didn't think ahead when making the two effects indistinguishable in the DB.  What I don't get is why they couldn't have done a pass through the DB looking for Frost items with a current ML lower than what they "should have been".  Mark those as Festival Frost before moving forward with the Automated-ML pass.

And yes, I know I'm over-simplifying, but my point is this should have been easily achievable.  So was this incompetence, laziness, or just way more complicated than it looks from outside the black box?

Now back to your regularly-scheduled thread...

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #42 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 14th, 2013 at 2:18pm:
Are you actually suggesting that they could rollback just inventory and yet keep experience earned and/or store transactions?  How stupid are you?  Where do you think store sales go?  Into inventory.  What happens when you consume inventory items that were store purchased?  Which potentially affects experience earned, stats, skills, just about any aspect of your database.  You can't isolate just certain portions for rollback.  It's all or nothing.   

Your inability to see the power of running diffs does not preclude its ability to perform as I described.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #43 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
GooFY wrote on Oct 14th, 2013 at 2:44pm:
I get that they didn't think ahead when making the two effects indistinguishable in the DB.  What I don't get is why they couldn't have done a pass through the DB looking for Frost items with a current ML lower than what they "should have been".  Mark those as Festival Frost before moving forward with the Automated-ML pass.

And yes, I know I'm over-simplifying, but my point is this should have been easily achievable.  So was this incompetence, laziness, or just way more complicated than it looks from outside the black box?

Now back to your regularly-scheduled thread...

The original Festival Frost performed a process which put 'real' frost on an item, rather than a new ability called 'Festival Frost'.  There weren't time stamps on effects.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #44 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Oct 14th, 2013 at 2:02pm:
I thought Turbine as a whole was 140 before the layoffs, and that had to cover IC, LOTR, AC, and DDO, with DDO being the red headed step child.

So wouldn't that put DDO at more like 20-40 employees?

When they were acquired they were listed as having 300 employees.  I don't know how many they have today, post layoff. 

I just doubt highly that any IT company making a million or more dollars per month running what is essentially a database driven SaaS/Cloud model internet application doesn't have one or more DBA's capable of writing an SQL SELECT statement.

Most of you seem pretty clueless on the concept of how IT management really works, but if you had 12 million+ a year in revenue, would you neglect to hire and maintain any on-staff DBA talent? 

Revenue on (or near) that level suggests a staffing level of around 60-70 FTE's.  More than enough for a DBA team.  Even if it is some shared services with other Turbine offerings.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #45 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 14th, 2013 at 3:27pm:
Most of you seem pretty clueless on the concept of how IT management really works, but if you had 12 million+ a year in revenue, would you neglect to hire and maintain any on-staff DBA talent? 

Hmmm...trick question or, rather, a question with MULTIPLE facets.

If I'm in charge of Turbine what is the chance I have a Good DBA?

Chances are I have a DBA. I didn't say I would have a Good one (I'm assuming a "talent" is a Good DBA) but I probably (51% chance) have one.

Now, that means there's like a 49% chance I don't have one and an even BIGGER chance that if I have one, he/she isn't very good.

Remember, this is Turbine we're talking about - the same company that discarded their "chaff" but kept Feather_of_Sun.

I'm not at all confident in their ability to recognize "talent," much less keep it.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2013 at 3:40pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #46 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Even if it is some shared services with other Turbine offerings.

My guess is they are shared, but all of them view DDO as dangerous.  Remember, doors and mushrooms?  Some of this stuff could be hard coded in individual save files like other video games and no database to be found.  Just a giant folder.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #47 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Rather than quote anything - there's too much - I'll just say: wow, Aeolwind is dumb.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #48 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
When they were acquired they were listed as having 300 employees.  I don't know how many they have today, post layoff. 

OK, my bad, the 140 number I'd heard is post layoff.

http://www.insideview.com/directory/turbine-inc

They list the profile update as 2013-10-05, and put the staff at 140 and the revenue at $19 million for the whole company. Wow, that's a fast slide!

Arkat wrote on Oct 14th, 2013 at 3:38pm:
If I'm in charge of Turbine what is the chance I have a Good DBA?

Yeah, because even more important than a good DBA is a good producer, and how long did we have running the game into the ground?

Oh God, will you people turn off the image substitution already? Arrrgh, my eyes!

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #49 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Oct 14th, 2013 at 3:00pm:
The original Festival Frost performed a process which put 'real' frost on an item, rather than a new ability called 'Festival Frost'.  There weren't time stamps on effects.

It also added a second prefix on a weapon at a time where weapons could only have one single prefix.

A fucking stupid idiotic SQL query could have tracked them down, even after F_o_S fucked them up to change that Frost to Festival Frost.
Come on it's clear that when you have a holy rapier of pure good with Frost, the Frost has been Festival added. ( or a fire longsword of pure good with a frost )

Another proof they are light on the DBA domain. They can't get it fixed when it's easy to hunt down.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Send TopicPrint