Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) when will the investigation end? (Read 29064 times)
notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Re: when will the investigation end?
Reply #75 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 14th, 2013 at 4:52pm:
In a firm with 19 million per year in revenue, the chances are 99.9% likely you have a DBA team.  (As in more than one DBA).

Whether they are "good" or "bad", they will be able to write basic SELECT statements like the guys on this board have been tossing around.  That's like bottom 5% of the skill set type of stuff.  It's like the chances of finding an auto mechanic who can't figure out how to put windshield wiper fluid or engine coolant into your car.  They don't have to be "good" they just have to have a pulse. 

Asheras, do you or have you worked for a computer company where you deal with databases?  Just curious.  I am pretty sure you do.

I have.

I can guarantee you that of the 50 employees that had access to all of our customer databases only two of us were competent.  Yes, that includes the other project managers.

I personally heard from many of the people I worked with that the stuff that I did could not be done.  I personally watched them create queries that created sequential sorts on views that absolutely, positively drove the database to its knees.

I then told them to get out of the way, and that they can never have access to anything that involved my projects.  If I so much as heard they were messing in my reports/views/tables I immediately went to them and gave them a good chewing out in public.

My stuff worked.  My stuff caused very few support calls.  My stuff was also Point of Sale software where I had to balance to the penny each and every day and the numbers that my projects spewed out had to be completely accurate.

If my customer was depositing $800,000 into the corporate coffers that day, it had better well damn sure be $800,000 real dollars.

My projects were the MAIN money maker for all of my clients.  If my software would have failed a customer, they lost money.  My software did not fail a customer.  Matter of fact, for ten years, my first version of the software ran at a customer site with ZERO updates.  They were of the mind that if worked, why fix it.

Sure Turbine has DBAs.  Just bad ones.

Flav gets it, but for some reason you don't.  Flav and I might get along if we worked together, you and I would butt heads every second of every day.

Plus you contradict yourself

In one statement you say "you don't think Turbine has competent DBAs?"

You seem to be one of those persons that if someone says something, it is wrong, but if you say the exact same thing it is right.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2013 at 8:32am by notajedi »  

IP Logged

NOTdarth
Puppy Farmer

Save the Planet, Kill
Yourself

Reply #76 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 8:28am
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 8:20am:
stuff

TL;DR: I'm an armchair developer and Turbine doesn't know shit.

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #77 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 8:39am
Print Post  
NOTdarth wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 8:28am:

There we go, attack the poster.  Considering that I worked at a fortune 100 corporation and then was head hunted to work at another fortune 100 corporation that was one of the BIG dot com success stories and might actually know something about databases, I am confident in my abilities.

Please provide evidence that Turbine understands what a relational database is.

Evidence 1

We have FoS asking the users what prefixes and suffixes are missing.  Huh?  This has got to be a SHORT table with maybe 10,000 suffixes and prefixes in it.

Example

Select loot_prefix, loot_suffix from loot_table where Loot_item = 'Jewelry'

Obviously, FoS and no one at Turbine could write that.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2013 at 8:50am by notajedi »  

IP Logged

NOTdarth
Puppy Farmer

Save the Planet, Kill
Yourself

Reply #78 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Yes, yes, give in to your anger! Tell us how you really feel!

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #79 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 9:16am
Print Post  
NOTdarth wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 8:28am:

Actually, Notajedi would be the pro, I'd be the incompetent armchair.  Just clarifying.

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #80 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 8:39am:
Amazing stuffz

20 questions, GO!

1) are you Al Gore?

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #81 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 8:20am:
Asheras, do you or have you worked for a computer company where you deal with databases?  Just curious.  I am pretty sure you do.

I have.

I can guarantee you that of the 50 employees that had access to all of our customer databases only two of us were competent.  Yes, that includes the other project managers.

I personally heard from many of the people I worked with that the stuff that I did could not be done.  I personally watched them create queries that created sequential sorts on views that absolutely, positively drove the database to its knees.

I then told them to get out of the way, and that they can never have access to anything that involved my projects.  If I so much as heard they were messing in my reports/views/tables I immediately went to them and gave them a good chewing out in public.

My stuff worked.  My stuff caused very few support calls.  My stuff was also Point of Sale software where I had to balance to the penny each and every day and the numbers that my projects spewed out had to be completely accurate.

If my customer was depositing $800,000 into the corporate coffers that day, it had better well damn sure be $800,000 real dollars.

My projects were the MAIN money maker for all of my clients.  If my software would have failed a customer, they lost money.  My software did not fail a customer.  Matter of fact, for ten years, my first version of the software ran at a customer site with ZERO updates.  They were of the mind that if worked, why fix it.

Sure Turbine has DBAs.  Just bad ones.

Flav gets it, but for some reason you don't.  Flav and I might get along if we worked together, you and I would butt heads every second of every day.

Plus you contradict yourself

In one statement you say "you don't think Turbine has competent DBAs?"

You seem to be one of those persons that if someone says something, it is wrong, but if you say the exact same thing it is right.

I do work in IT.  For about 20 years now.

From reading the above, I can tell the following:

1)  You are very confident in your abilities.   

2)  You think that being good at what you do makes it OK to treat your co-workers like shit. 

3)  You do not know what the architecture of Turbine's systems are.  In the slightest.

4)  You do not know if Turbine's database team is good or not. 

5)  Having no knowledge of Turbine's team, their architecture, platforms, or anything at all really, does not stop you from forming an opinion and treating it as fact.

6)  The opinion you form is that they could not be possibly have as good a DB guru as you.  It is not surprising that your uninformed opinion reinforces your own superiority.

7)  You talk out of your ass. 

The reality is that you have NO facts.  You know nothing about their systems. You just show SQL queries that one might find in the Northwind database and pass them off as proof of Turbine's ineptitude.

You are no daisy, Johnny Ringo.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #82 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 12:22pm:
20 questions, GO!

1) are you Al Gore?

Lol.  I wouldn't be surprised if Notajedi invented the internet at this point. 

IP Logged

Dr_tank2vich
Puppy Farmer

I Love Darma!

Reply #83 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 1:27pm:

2)  You think that being good at what you do makes it OK to treat your co-workers like shit. 

3)  You do not know what the architecture of Turbine's systems are.  In the slightest.

5)  Having no knowledge of Turbine's team, their architecture, platforms, or anything at all really, does not stop you from forming an opinion and treating it as fact.

6)  The opinion you form is that they could not be possibly have as good a DB guru as you.  It is not surprising that your uninformed opinion reinforces your own superiority.

The reality is that you have NO facts.  You know nothing about their systems. You just show SQL queries that one might find in the Northwind database and pass them off as proof of Turbine's ineptitude.

You are no daisy, Johnny Ringo.

So notajedi = Feather of Sun?

"The court heard that Duffy has Asperger's syndrome and suffers with alcohol problems."

Or as we call it here: Mod status.

IP Logged

OwlBearTrainer
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #84 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Hoping to get back on topic. Smiley  I also rage joined cause I am trying to figure out what is really going on.  The DDO forums are going 1984 and they keep removing the relevant threads.

I made a few little copies but nothing to give me fatstacks.  Just trying to keep a low profile.  I play in the G-Spot and it didn't seem to be too saturated with red scales but there were definitely some shady AH postings.

Perhaps the lurkers (speaking as a former lurker) could chime in and let us know if the banhammer is still swinging.  Besides theorizing what we think will happen perhaps anyone who was banned could let us know how it went down.  My questions to the banned (and if you know some banned folks):
1.) What day were you banned?
2.) What server were you on?
3.) Did you dupe hardcore or just a little (no fat stacks)
4.) How long are you banned for?
5.) Did you dupe before or after the warnings or both?
6.) Were you mad as fuck?
7.) Had you been suspended before for anything else?
8.) Are you VIP or Free To Play?

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #85 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Oh it's too fun

After 20 years if you are not you should worry.

I have 20 years on Telecom, and trust me, on some topics I am confident.
I am confident enough to be The Reference and the guy that gets all the Oh! Shit! problems on said topic.

That's something else altogether.

From logs, wireshark traces, and a few other things we can make educated guesses... some might be wrong but there's only so many way to build the infrastructure needed for an online game.

If they had a good team items being fucked up by F_o_S changes in U19 wouldn't have happened. ( among other things )

If you don't know anything about their architecture by now, you have been utterly incurious. It's so easy to get some information about the architecture.

Not a guru, but somebody that knows at least how to rummage in a database.
I learned everything I know about DB through looking at things, I'm far from being a guru, but I have a low opinion of Turbines DBA, they seem to be unable to do anything beyond reindexing the databases every few Mondays.

you too, we all do.

There's only so many ways to build a data model for a game like DDO... one has to be the right one.

Dr_tank2vich wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 1:33pm:
So notajedi = Feather of Sun?

No... But we can start talking X.25 and Telecom Network Supervision or X.25 and Intelligent Telecom Network. Then I can get all pedantic. Trust me, I'm good at X.25, I'm good enough to be The Goto Frog for the whole Froggy Land for my Company. I too can go the whole pedantic way if I want.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Quak
Dragon Raider

Reply #86 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
did any1 else get an investigating email today? i had to answer a questionaire bout how happy i am with ddo Shocked

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #87 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Yup, just got it.

Edit : and answered it... They are not going to like my ad-lib.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2013 at 2:32pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Reply #88 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Quak wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 2:24pm:
did any1 else get an investigating email today? i had to answer a questionaire bout how happy i am with ddo Shocked

I don't know why they needed my SSN and mother's maiden name for a survey.  The question about "how Tolero in an owl bear costume made me feel" made me feel...uneasy...

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #89 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
I typed out a well-intentioned, yet scathing criticism of the game as of late, and was very disappointed to find that the 650 characters I had used would not fit in the box they gave for comments.

So I said, "Fuck it," and closed the window it was in.

Apparently they only want feedback in tweetable format.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

OwlBearTrainer
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #90 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
I only get that survey when I submit a support request, which never get resolved, and then they tell me to send a bug report.  How the hell am I supposed to know if its a bug or not?!  Its my biggest pet-peeve with their support.  If I call/message support with an issue they should absolutely take it form there.  not have me send a bug report.

IP Logged

Slug
Shroud Slacker

Reply #91 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 2:59pm
Print Post  

I received a questionnaire today.  One hundred words was not enough for me to explain what the fuck they're doing wrong.

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #92 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 3:03pm
Print Post  

Sounds phishy.

I did not, but I'd watch your bank balance if I were you.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #93 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
I told them that I was almost certain to buy stuff in the next 30 days. 
And then in the text box qualified that by saying I was currently bannded and might not as I didn't know if it was 3, 7, 14 or perma.

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #94 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 2:15pm:
There's only so many ways to build a data model for a game like DDO... one has to be the right one.

To build a well-working game, yes.  A buggy weak-ACID game, oh there's infinite ways.

But, good thing Turbine builds games and not something actually important for daily existence, like traffic light systems.   Grin

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #95 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 3:17pm:
But, good thing Turbine builds games and not something actually important for daily existence, like traffic light systems.

-Yellow Lights were deemed too powerful and will be nerfed to 1 second in duration.
-Red Lights will now hold 20% longer.
-Green Lights will no longer proceed red lights at absolute intervals, and will randomly turn off leaving the user to decide what state suites them best.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #96 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 2:15pm:
No... But we can start talking X.25 and Telecom Network Supervision or X.25 and Intelligent Telecom Network. Then I can get all pedantic. Trust me, I'm good at X.25, I'm good enough to be The Goto Frog for the whole Froggy Land for my Company. I too can go the whole pedantic way if I want.

X.25?  The precursor to Frame Relay?  Seriously?  Did you just step out of a Delorean?  You do know this is 2013, right? 

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2013 at 3:51pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #97 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
OwlBearTrainer wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 2:49pm:
I only get that survey when I submit a support request

This was a different survey than the support ones.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #98 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Leave it to France!

France was one of last remaining countries where commercial end-user service based on X.25 operated. Known as Minitel it was based on Videotex, itself running on X.25. In 2002 Minitel had about 9 million users, and in 2011 it still accounted for about 2 million users in France when France Télécom announced it would completely shut down the service by 30 June 2012.[13] As planned, service was terminated 30 June 2012. There were 800 000 terminals still in operation at the time.[14]

So it was 'new' to them still!
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2013 at 4:01pm by Aeolwind »  

IP Logged

Quak
Dragon Raider

Reply #99 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 3:03pm:
Sounds phishy.

I did not, but I'd watch your bank balance if I were you.   Roll Eyes

now that your are mentioning it... lemme log into the game and rush to the bank! Lips Sealed And i only complained about you know what from you know who (what if they want us to discuss the questionaire and especially the tell your honest opinion here to then give us a ban for being a vault member?)

/paranoia off.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Send TopicPrint