Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) New madmatt (Read 6556 times)
Slug
Shroud Slacker

Re: New madmatt
Reply #25 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 17th, 2013 at 10:32am:
I just thought the current consensus was that TWF was stronger than THF for the most part and that Fighter splashes yielded the best DPS currently due to the new enhancement trees.   

I was under the assumption of the opposite.  I thought the consensus was the THF was stronger than TWF since the release of U14 because Cleave, Great Cleave, Lay Waste, Momentum Swing, and Adrenaline Surge don't apply to off-hand attacks.  But I don't know how the U19 enhancements have affected the DPS comparison.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #26 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 11:41am
Print Post  
I just thought the current consensus was that TWF was stronger than THF for the most part and that Fighter splashes yielded the best DPS currently due to the new enhancement trees.   

In single-target DPS TWFing "fighter" is tops.  "Fighter" meaning 12 fighter levels and 8 levels of other stuff exploiting broken synergies.

The THFing barbs in these test get about the same times as the tempest rangers.

every other situation I have no idea.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #27 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Oct 17th, 2013 at 11:41am:
In single-target DPS TWFing "fighter" is tops.  "Fighter" meaning 12 fighter levels and 8 levels of other stuff exploiting broken synergies.

The THFing barbs in these test get about the same times as the tempest rangers.

every other situation I have no idea.

Honestly, given the power creep the last 12 months, I'm not sure it matters.  I seem to beating the ever loving shit outta stuff these days, even with builds that aren't optimal.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #28 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 17th, 2013 at 11:44am:
Honestly, given the power creep the last 12 months, I'm not sure it matters.  I seem to beating the ever loving shit outta stuff these days, even with builds that aren't optimal.

yes, my fighter does about 30% more damage than my ranger (based on EE Sorbien beat-down tests) which is a lot but the ranger is more fun.  The ranger gets way more play time. 

The game's not difficult enough to require you to be optimal.

IP Logged

Sham
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Random Effects
on Named Loot! - No one
ever

Reply #29 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
I'm with you on this.  Any test you run is going to be situational.  Single Mob vs. Group.  Trash vs. Boss.  Fort level.  With sneaks or with Aggro.  Yada yada.  And that doesn't even get into survivability since a soul stone does no DPS and, last time I checked, the mobs hit back. 

Pretty sure THF is usually considered stronger then TWF. With increased mob density, aoe damage is better. Also, dreadnaught works much smoother with THF. Raids are kinda meh now so slightly better single target dps is not prioritized.

I remember back a couple years ago when all the rage was dps charts of different builds on different fort. I was caught up in the craze too in the pursuit of max dps only to realize now that the difference between like toons are usually miniscule. Also its like economic projections, a pseudoscience pretty much. It's impossible to include factors such as delay between cleave for twf, the longer reach and better hitbox of thf, and also twitching/active combat.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #30 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Sham wrote on Oct 17th, 2013 at 3:16pm:
Pretty sure THF is usually considered stronger then TWF. With increased mob density, aoe damage is better. Also, dreadnaught works much smoother with THF. Raids are kinda meh now so slightly better single target dps is not prioritized. 

if it wasn't for the existence of the Nightmare I might concede that, but since it's getting nerfed who knows . . .

A guildie of mine has two nearly identical 12/6/2 fighters, one with ESOS and the other with two Balizardes.  He has no idea which one is better.

Sham wrote on Oct 17th, 2013 at 3:16pm:
I remember back a couple years ago when all the rage was dps charts of different builds on different fort. I was caught up in the craze too in the pursuit of max dps only to realize now that the difference between like toons are usually miniscule. Also its like economic projections, a pseudoscience pretty much. It's impossible to include factors such as delay between cleave for twf, the longer reach and better hitbox of thf, and also twitching/active combat.

Back then DPS was all about raid bosses and those situations were more easy to calc.  Killy Sulu/Harry/Horoth was easy to figure out.

IP Logged

Sham
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Random Effects
on Named Loot! - No one
ever

Reply #31 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Nightmare nerf just makes it even more in favor of THF. It switches constantly with endgame and what Turbine nerfs, i.e. vorpal, wop, nightmare, lifestealing.

I mentioned raids no longer being a priority.

Like you said, your guildie with both can't say which is better. It's gonna come down to subtle differences in playstyle and implementaiton. Really can't argue that THF doesn't have better twitching, range/hitbox, and less animation awkwardness w/ boosts and cleaves.

Hopefully in the future, monkey grip. #jizzedmypants
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2013 at 3:39pm by Sham »  

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #32 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Sham wrote on Oct 17th, 2013 at 3:37pm:
Like you said, your guildie with both can't say which is better. It's gonna come down to subtle differences in playstyle and implementaiton. Really can't argue that THF doesn't have better twitching, range/hitbox, and less animation awkwardness w/ boosts and cleaves.

Hopefully in the future, monkey grip. #jizzedmypants

TWFing has other advantages, have you ever tried to change a FoTW epic moment on a THFer?  There are situations where it's a stronger ED than LD and in those situations TWFing is better.  Don't forget sneak attack and other proc-based stuff is twice as much. 

Regarding the intangibles I can only go off my observations which in no way make me concede THFing is better.  It's different, I like my ESoS toon and my TWFers, they just play different.

And regarding Monkey grip . . . reports from former Mournalanders . . . it WAS in the game as part of legendary Dread.  It was on the Mournlands and working, later to be taken out of the game. 

It's kinda stupid . . . the fear of a one-handed ESoS is just dumb while the Balizarde exists.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #33 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Oct 17th, 2013 at 1:21pm:
The game's not difficult enough to require you to be optimal.

Word.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #34 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
You fucks STIlLL don't know what Monkey Grip allows you to do.

Hint: It does NOT allow you to use a greatsword in each hand. The Epic feat "Wield Oversized Weapon" does though. Of course a prerequisite for that feat is to have the Monkeygrip feat.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #35 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Oct 17th, 2013 at 7:10pm:

Does it matter if anyone here knows what Monkey Grip is supposed to do if it's not implemented that way in DDO?

DDO Monkey grip would probably turn whatever you're holding into a random custard desert, regardless of what it does in PnP.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #36 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 8:07pm
Print Post  

Hint: It does NOT allow you to use a greatsword in each hand. The Epic feat "Wield Oversized Weapon" does though. Of course a prerequisite for that feat is to have the Monkeygrip feat.

It's ok, from the leaked stuff I saw the dev that built it didn't understand it either.

Quote:
Monkey Grip: Prereq: Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword. Activate: Shifts your grip on an equipped greatsword to one handed, allowing you to use a shield or one handed off-hand weapon with it at the same time. (One handed weapons receive reduced power attack and ability score bonuses.) (2 AP) 15 second cooldown.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #37 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 8:46pm
Print Post  

Don't give a fuck what it did in PnP, read what Gleneth quoted for how it worked on Mournlands.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint