Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Pathfinder, with ponies as PCs (Read 229 times)
JC
My Little Pony

Pathfinder, with ponies as PCs
Nov 5th, 2013 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Or "What do you make with a character that has no hands?"

Long (and entertaining) story short, I'm with a bunch of bronies (and a couple of confused guys that are wondering what the hell they got themselves into) and we're playing Pathfinder. Soon we are going be starting a home-brewed campaign of the DMs based on ponies. We actually weren't going to start till December but the TPK made her accelerate her plans.
The thing is, this is my first P&P campaign. I know basic character building from DDO but DDO and pathfinder are two very different games. And making a character with a race that has no hands is an interesting challenge. I've come up with a few ideas but I'm sure that here I could find more.

If you want here's the link to the guide we are using. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dhp1cwl8216pvcn/C8LD66XCNl/Ponyfinder.pdf
But I'll just copy paste the basic stuff right here.

Here are the three basic races.

Earth Pony:

Type - Fey
Size - Medium
Base Speed - 40ft
Ability Score: Standard - +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Dexterity
Languages: Linguist - Starts with Common plus Sylvan, may choose any bonus language but secret languages, like druidic.
Earth-Bound: +2 on saves from spells, poisons, and spell-like abilities, Endurance as a bonus feat.
Flexible Bonus Feat - 1 bonus feat at level 1.
Special Qualities: Low Light Vision, +4 CMD vs trip(Due to being four-legged), +50% carrying capacity(Due to being four-legged)

Pegasus:

Type - Fey
Size - Medium
Base Speed - 40ft, Flight(Clumsy, 30ft)
Fly becomes a class skill.
Flight is unavailable in medium or heavy armor.
Ability Score: Standard - -2 strength, +2 dexterity, +2 wisdom
Languages: Linguist - Starts with Common plus Sylvan, may choose any bonus language but secret languages, like druidic.
May treat fog, or any cloud, as solid.
Special Qualities: Low Light Vision, +4 CMD vs trip(Due to being four-legged), +50% carrying capacity(Due to being four-legged)

Unicorn:

Type - Fey
Size - Medium
Base Speed - 40ft
Ability Score: Standard - +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, -2 Dexterity
If you have an intelligence of 11 or greater, you gain the following spell-like abilities(caster level is equal
to character level):
Unseen Servant 2/day
Light 3/day(must target horn)
+2 to concentration checks when casting defensively
Special Qualities: Low Light Vision, +4 CMD vs trip(Due to being four-legged), +50% carrying capacity(Due
to being four-legged)

Special Rules:

* Items that normally fit the hand or ring slot become anklets while worn by ponies, operating normally.
* Any worn magical foot slot items(boots, shoes, etc.) adapt to cover all four hooves.
* They may use horseshoe items, but doing so occupies the foot slot, preventing boots, shoes, and other such things.
* Ponies may wield/use items with their mouth as if their primary hand.
* Touch attacks can be made with hooves or horn. There is no mechanical benefit to this and it resolves exactly the same as a humanoid touch with a finger.
* Unarmed attacks from ponies can come in the form of teeth, slams, or hooves. They do normal damage for an unarmed adventurer of medium size and are resolved entirely as unarmed, not natural, attacks.
* Somatic components are handled with hoof and horn. (I expected some kind of penalty for earth ponies and pegasi trying to cast arcane spells. This is not the case.)

Pony feats worth mentioning:

Strong Jaw [Combat]
Some ponies have very strong jaws, allowing them to hold and wield very large weapons and items.
Prerequisite: Pony
Benefit: Your mouth can wield two-handed items. Double weapons can be used, allowing a pony to employ two-weapon fighting normally. Two-handed ranged weapons or ranged weapons that specify they require two hands to reload cannot be reloaded as most require two distinct limbs, not just a sure grip.
Normal: Ponies can only wield one-handed items in their mouth.
Special: Pony clerics may wield the favored weapon of their god, even if two-handed, without this feat.

Iron Jaw [Combat]
Prerequisite: Pony, Earth-Bound, Strong Jaw
Benefit: When attacking with a two handed or double weapon held in your jaws, you gain all the benefits of using a weapon two handedly. You also gain a +1 bonus to attacks with weapons held in your mouth.
Normal: A pony's mouth only counts as one hand, even if strong jaw allows wielding two handed and double weapons in it.

Practiced Horn Magic [Combat, Metamagic]
You have honed your horn magic to the point that you can wield weapons and shields using its might.
Prerequisite: Pony, Able to cast Unseen Servant as a spell-like ability
Benefit: You may wield any one-handed weapon or shield using your horn's magic. The wielded object is treated for all purposes as if you were physically wielding it, using your Intelligence instead of your Strength.
This is a supernatural ability.

Advanced Horn Magic [Combat, Metamagic]
Your ability to manipulate objects with your magic has grown much more refined.
Prerequisite: Pony, Practiced Horn Magic
Benefit: You gain a second mental grip, allowing you to wield a weapon two-handedly, or wield a weapon and a shield, or even wield two weapons. These follow all basic rules for wielding such items.

Dashing Flyer [Combat]
While some pegasi are satisfied with going in straight lines, you have been strengthening your wings and practicing your flying to become a master of the sky.
Prerequisite: Pony, Fly Speed
Benefit: Your fly speed increases by 10ft and your maneuverability by one step.
Special: This feat can be taken more than once.

Strong Wings [Combat]
You are accustomed to flying in armor, allowing you to fly when others would falter.
Prerequisite: Pony, Fly Speed, Dashing Flyer, Character level 5th
Benefit: You can fly while wearing medium armor.
Normal: You may not fly in heavy or medium armor.

Adamant Wings [Combat]
Your wings have been strengthened through intense training and discipline, allowing you to fly while wrapped in a shell of metal.
Prerequisite: Pony, Fly Speed, Dashing Flyer, Strong Wings. Character level 12th
Benefit: You can fly while wearing heavy armor.
Normal: You may not fly in heavy or medium armor.

Cloud Kicker [Combat]
Prerequisite: Pony, Pegasus
Benefit: As a standard action, you may, with a lash of your hind hooves, destroy the fog, mist, or even magic gaseous cloud, in a particular five foot square within natural reach(normally 5ft, can target the square the pony is occupying). If the effect is magic, it is considered an attempt to dispel, and the pony must roll 1d20+ (character level)+(strength bonus) against a target of 10+(caster level). Success not only clears the five foot square, but gives the pony the option to end the entire effect. Failure still clears the targeted five foot square.

Equipment worth noting

Striking Horseshoes: These metal horseshoes operate like, and are priced as, spiked gauntlets, but are designed for pony use. Adventuring ponies often enchant these. It is possible for a pony to wear different shoes, as the price only covers one shoe at a time. It is not an uncommon tactic to have different elements for each hoof. Striking with hooves is just like striking with any other weapon. Any strike after the first is handled as a secondary weapon, handled under two-weapon fighting rules.

Saddle Rack: 50gp, 5lb, The saddle rack is a harness worn about the body of a pony with a strong and stable slot for a piercing weapon. Traditionally, a lance or other polearm is placed in this position, allowing the pony to strike with it. The rack is too far back to accept light weapons, but ponies can and often do, rack twohanded weapons. Due to the thrusting motions required to use the saddle rack, bludgeoning and slashing
weapons are awkward, suffering a -2 penalty to attacks.
A pony making a charge attack activates any advantage the weapon may have for mounted use. However, the saddle can be foiled: attempts to disarm any weapon held by the saddle enjoy a +2 to the effort.
Loading a weapon into the saddle is not a fast act, requiring a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity. Someone with hands can load the weapon as a standard action, but the pony being armed still provokes as they remain still for the procedure.
While it is technically possible for a pony to dual wield, having a weapon in mouth and another in the rack, the style is awkward at best, relying on body thrusts to employ the racked weapon while whipping one's head about to employ the mouth held weapon. As a result, all attacks are at -2 when attacking with both weapons in any given round, stacking with penalties for two-weapon fighting.

GM Note: The rules of two-weapon fighting must be obeyed. Nothing presented here is an exception to it.
Any pony wanting to dual-wield must use a one handed or light weapon for their secondary attack. Even a pony with strong horn magic or jaws cannot wield a two-handed weapon, have a two-handed weapon in their rig, and attack with both at once, unless they want to flail about for the entertainment of their foes.

Here is what we can use. Anything else and I gotta say please.
Core Rulebook
Ponyfinder Race Guide
Advanced Player’s Guide
Advanced Race Guide (Chapter 1 only)
Ultimate Combat
Ultimate Equipment
Ultimate Magic
Adventurer’s Armory
Animal Companions
* of Golarion (alternate race traits/feats, classes and archetypes only)

We are using 20 point builds with standard purchase and starting at level 1.

I'll put the builds I have come up with so far in the next post.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2013 at 9:57am by JC »  

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Brick Wing
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2013 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Ok, So I got a problem. When it comes to wielding weapons my character effectively has one hand tied behind his back. I PUNCH MY PROBLEM.

Brick Wing
Pegasi monk. 20 point build.

Ability scores:
Str  14 (16-2 race)
Dex 16 (14+2 race)
Con 14
Int  9
Wis 16 (14+2 race)
Cha  7

Feats: 3 (1 +1 race +1 monk)
Deflect arrows, toughness & improved grapple
I can fly, I'm sure that I will get shot at a lot so deflect arrows is a must. And it seems that every other thing that this DM throws at us so far tries to grapple us so it will be nice to give back a little love. In Pathfinder toughness becomes 3+1 per level after third, effectively 1 hp per level.

Favored class bonus goes in HP. Maybe into movement speed. Is it worth 5 HP or skill points to be able to increase your move by 5 feet when you are already this fast? Or does it just get better and better the faster you are?

Skills: 1 point each into acrobatics, fly, perception and stealth.

Traits: Idono? /shrug. I get two.

I never really could get my head around monk. I don't know how well this would work. Maybe I could convince my DM to include something like handwraps?

I can fly though. That's got to be worth something.
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2013 at 8:45pm by JC »  

Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Slug
Shroud Slacker

Re: Pathfinder, with ponies as PCs
Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2013 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Nov 5th, 2013 at 4:46pm:
Maybe I could convince my DM to include something like handwraps?

D&D and Pathfinder have amulets that basically function like DDO's handwraps.  Amulets of Mighty Fists.  All you really need there is a name change.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2013 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Slug wrote on Nov 5th, 2013 at 6:10pm:
D&D and Pathfinder have amulets that basically function like DDO's handwraps.  Amulets of Mighty Fists.  All you really need there is a name change.

Well I was going to say that it costs significantly more and takes up an amulet slot; but I just looked it up. Pathfinder changed the cost of the amulet to just double the cost of a normal magic weapon of the same bonus. Yay.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Sparklebutts
Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2013 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
The Practiced Horn Magic feat lets you use your intelligence instead of strength for weapons wielded with it. This just screams Gish.

Sparklebutts
Unicorn Magus, 20 point build.

Ability scores: I feel like I'm dumping wis and cha too much but I wanted 20 int (it is EVERYTHING to this character) and 13 str for power attack. I had to dump them to 7 and I can't have them any higher without hurting my hp or already low AC. But with this DM I know it's going to bite me in the but.
Str  13
Dex 12 (14-2 race)
Con 15 (13+2 race)
Int  20 (18+2 race)
Wis  7
Cha  7

Feats: 2 (1 +1 race)
Practiced Horn Magic & Combat Casting

Favored class bonus goes in HP

Skills: UMD, perception, spellcraft, the knowledges, whatever.

Traits: Bladed magic & deft dodger.

At level 1 with a chain shirt I'll have 15 ac. Shield spell will bump it to 19. Good enough for melee. With the arcane pool and magic weapon I'll have +7 to hit and 1d8+7 damage. After that I got one color spray or whatever left over.

Intelligence is my attack, damage and spell casting stat. Do I need to explain how nice this? Now if only pathfinder had insightful reflexes.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2013 at 9:59am by JC »  

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2013 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Still working on it but my other idea was to try and make use of the Duelist class. they are good at just using one weapon. The class has dexterity as a main stat and is big on getting around on the battlefield, so a flying pegasus with their dex bonus would be nice for that. They get and intelligence bonus on ac up to their duelist level so another int based unicorn might work. Leaning towards pegasus because hell, I can fly.

Edited:
Done. Why can't I delete this post?
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2013 at 4:25pm by JC »  

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Re: Brick Wing
Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2013 at 8:00am
Print Post  
JC wrote on Nov 5th, 2013 at 4:46pm:
Maybe I could convince my DM to include something like horseshoes?

fify

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Fencer
Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2013 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I built this one to level 9, from there it just keeps going duelist. Fighter is for the BAB and the feats of course, monk is just for the feats, evasion, unarmed strike & small bonus to saves. I usually won't be using the flurry or the wisdom bonus to ac. The duelist bonus to ac is a bonus to my dex bonus, so it is limited by my armor; So at high levels when I reach the limit of the lightest amors it will help if I go naked but that won't be for a while. One problem with this though is that I need permission for the Lore Warden archetype. I don't know what book it's from, I just found it on the SRD.

Pegasus: Fighter (Lore Warden) 5/Monk (Maneuver Master) 2/Duelist 2

Str 13 (15-2 race)
Dex 16 (14+2 race)
Con 14
Int 14
wis 12 (10+2 race)
cha 8

levelups go in dex.

Skills: Max out perception, fly, and acrobatics. At least 2 in performance for duelist. Get stealth and sense motive as high as I can and eventually get one rank in every knowledge skill. Once I get a Int headband I'll max out UMD.

Traits: The one that makes UMD a class skill and the one that gives me a +1 to hit on AoO with blades.

Level 1 :Fighter
Feats: Power Attack, Weapon Finesse & Two Weapon Fighting.

Level 2: Monk
Improved Trip

3: Monk
Improved disarm, or I'll improve my flying. I'm not sure. Dodge.

4: Fighter
Combat Expertise (bonus), Crane Style.

5: Fighter
Mobility.

6: Fighter
Crane Wing.

7: Fighter
Greater trip.

8: Duelist
For once I get no feat. This level is meh, next level is awesome.

9: Duelist
Crane Riposte
And worth mentioning is Parry from Duelist. Now I should be able to negate an attack every turn, get an extra attack of opportunity in & be able to negate another attack after that. Now Fencer becomes the fancy swordsman he has dreamed of being since he was a little colt getting beaten up in school for being a wimpy girly pony.
Now he can kill them all.  Smiley

Now I should be able to parry with my off hand and get the benefits of precise strike with main weapon. To get precise strike I have to attack only with one weapon, if I give up my off hand attack (my hoof) for the parry I'm not using it to attack. It is now that I truly come into my tankness. That's a word now. I know I won't be a great damage dealer but with trip and stuff I should be great at helping Mr. Greataxe live and do his job and at flying in and taking out casters.

From here I will just keep going with Duelist. I'm not sure what feats I want from here on. If I ever get this high level I'm sure I'll have it figured out by then. I'll probably just be protecting the casters long enough to have them win the fight for me anyway and I should be really good at that.

One other feat that might want to fit in there is snake style. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/snake-style-combat-style
The stance bonus is not something this character would ever use but the ability to treat unarmed as piercing might be useful and I don't need to be in the snake stance to do that. I only need one hand or weapon to use flurry. It would be kind of funny being a monk and using flurry of blows/maneuvers with just one hoof, or my head.

Oh and on top of all that I can fly too. That should be nice.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2013 at 7:34pm by JC »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint