Poll
Poll closed Question: FoS had Loot plans?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Donuts    
  11 (8.1%)
Why did you make it out the first fire    
  8 (5.9%)
FoS bitches    
  2 (1.5%)
diaf    
  3 (2.2%)
seems good    
  11 (8.1%)
Needs moar ghostbane    
  26 (19.1%)
oh fuck he has more plans in store    
  35 (25.7%)
Make one more fukin poll and Ill kill you    
  22 (16.2%)
wont kill you but your poll privilege needs to be revoked    
  9 (6.6%)
All options not number 1, 3, 5, 6, 7    
  9 (6.6%)

Total votes: 136
« Last Modified by: Rubbinns on: Nov 8th, 2013 at 7:44pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) FoS unviels loot plans (Read 17656 times)
Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

FoS unviels loot plans
Nov 8th, 2013 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/430045-Dear-Feather-of-Sun?p=5162662&v...

He said hold on bitches I got you, Loot plans are a go.

Also ghostbane does not phase him either

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Selee
Abbot Raider

Re: FoS unviels loot plans
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
For those too lazy to look it up:

Quote:
The original plan for random treasure is what you see in game now, plus the following:

Items would rarely, in addition to the normal damage-dealing prefix they have, generate with a different prefix name and an additional special effect.
These would include some of the following:
Meteoric
Tempestous
Infernal
Glacial
Erosive
(and more!)

They're related to the damage type on the weapon. So a weapon with Flaming could sometimes instead appear as either Meteoric or Infernal.
Either a Shock or Screaming weapon could be Tempestous. There's enough rare prefixes to cover all of the prefixes that can appear on weapons.

The new versions of these effects are "procs", an effect that has a chance to occur on attack. They do things like, in the example of Meteoric, make a meteor fly in from the sky and smash into your enemies for AoE damage, dealing damage dice based on the level of your weapon, and forcing affected enemies to make a Reflex save of DC 20+Item Level or be knocked down.

There's also a lot of additional prefixes and suffixes for weapons, armor, and accessories that haven't been put into the treasure system.
Some of these include Humanoid Bane (combination of Elf, Dwarf, Human, Halfling and so on...), a new version of Bodyfeeder that deals a negative level to your target in addition to giving you temporary hit points, and adding some more staple effects like Blurry into accessories.
Many of the MotU multi-affix mutations have updated versions so they would be able to appear throughout more levels of gameplay.

Quote:
In all seriousness, I'm good at putting my foot in my mouth and bluntly saying things I shouldn't.
So here's one more:
Turning Ghostbane into a meme is, in my book, the best thing to happen to DDO in awhile.

It's gotten attention to this issue.
Previously, the rest of the treasure work was a cut feature. It's been gathering dust on my hard disk.
It has not been worked on recently.

During Shadowfell Conspiracy's development cycle, high-level decisions were made about priorities, and they had decided that the enhancement system needed a lot of work poured into it. The rest of the treasure work was cut, and I was moved on to enhancements.

In all fairness, the enhancement system revamp sorely needed it.

Here's where we let you all down:
After Update 19 was out the door and things started cooling off, we failed to adequately determine what our next priorities should be, and divert the right resources back on to those issues.

Now that everything's been ghostbaned, indications are that we might be able to get a treasure system update out for the first major patch after Update 20.

I'm not sure what, if any of my original plan it will contain. That won't be my call to make.
Once I'm given something concrete to work on though, I'll let the community know as soon as possible.

I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. - Ronald Reagan
Nice is for cowards and democrats - Red

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Wow… just… wow.

If they could only get out a small portion of it then why did they do any of it?

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Nov 8th, 2013 at 7:44pm:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/430045-Dear-Feather-of-Sun?p=5162662&v...

He said hold on bitches I got you, Loot plans are a go.

Also ghostbane does not phase him either

Even if it did phase him, the ghost touch part of ghost bane would still get him.

Bitches.

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Wyni
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
About fucking time they responded, although I am far from satisfied. Feather's plan sounds like a step in the right direction, but it is full of generalities. The specific implementation is what concerns me. Rest brought up a good point in the other thread, will convalescent be brought back? Will ALL of the MOTU prefixes and suffixes be brought back in some form or another? Because they absolutely should be.

Also, why the fuck were the MOTU prefixes and suffixes removed in the first place!! They should have stayed in until feather's "master plan" was ready to ship.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2013 at 8:10pm by Wyni »  

IP Logged

DakotanSky
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
He almost makes it sound like the ghostbane thing was intentional on his part to piss off the player base so much that greater attention would be brought to his pet plans.  He states that he REALLY wanted to fix this issue but the higher ups didn't care.  He is now thanking the player base by bringing so much attention to this issue, his plans will now go forward.

If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.
    Albert Einstein

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Auran wrote on Nov 8th, 2013 at 8:04pm:
Even if it did phase FoS, the ghost touch part of ghost bane would still get FoS

FoS Bitches.

ftfy.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
DakotanSky wrote on Nov 8th, 2013 at 8:09pm:
He almost makes it sound like the ghostbane thing was intentional on his part to piss off the player base so much that greater attention would be brought to his pet plans.  He states that he REALLY wanted to fix this issue but the higher ups didn't care.  He is now thanking the player base by bringing so much attention to this issue, his plans will now go forward.

sounds plausable

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 8:54pm
Print Post  

srsly?

conspiracy theory much?

IP Logged

fuckFoS
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
It's real easy to pretend you planned shit after the fact.
If that was truly the case, he was shitting all over management and he would have been fired.

IP Logged

pissedoffonArgo
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
That hipster cocksucker will fuck this up ten fold somehow! Him and his Sideburns are quick to throw the blame around. I do not buy it for a minute!

Fucking devs over there could tell us our shit is gonna be full of  pink hearts, yellow moons, orange stars, and green clovers, Most of those gullible forumite fanboys would buy into it and somehow kiss their asses in hopes of Rainbows and lucky charms.

Fuck me, this game has gone to shit! Damn!  Shocked

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #11 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Just a little longer guys!  We got him on the ropes!

Quote:
Developers aren't supposed to admit to having human emotions.
We need to be uncaring, aloof bastions of mystery, holding our Vast and Mysterious plans close to our chest.

So here's another Friday Night, Still At The Office foot in mouth moment:
I've been very frustrated with the state of itemization lately.
Epic Gianthold was where I last thought we had treasure systems in a really great place. We released a massive treasure system for it, along with the revamped augment system, incorporating several elements that I think are key to encouraging enjoyment and player retention: Lots of cool treasure to find in the quests, rewards for playing on higher difficulties, items with an upgrade system, and barter vendors with rewards to save up your effort for.

Update 19 shattered that "endgame" experience. The level cap increased, yet there was almost nothing new to aspire to. We couldn't support new rewards to properly itemize character builds in the new level 25-28 range. As a result, we've moved to a point where there isn't anything in the way of continued ways to progress your character while remaining at level cap.

Epic Reincarnation in Update 20 will help with some of that, but it's not (and shouldn't) be for everyone.

This sucks. We need to fix it.

Stay tuned by mid-next week for updates.
For now, though, I'm going home. There's only so much I should poke the beehive late on a Friday night.
Have a good weekend!
-Sunbane
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2013 at 9:08pm by QuantumFX »  

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #12 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Nov 8th, 2013 at 9:07pm:
Just a little longer guys!  We got him on the ropes!

Sounds like he smoked a blunt while alone in the office Friday night and got all touchy feely.

"DDO, I love you, man!"

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #13 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Sounds like he plans to FOS to death the old composed affixes.

IP Logged

Sham
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Random Effects
on Named Loot! - No one
ever

Reply #14 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
I'm not gonna jump in with the FOS hate here. I like the fact he is opening up and communicating more.

To FOS if you're lurking. You have an opportunity to turn the fanbase for you. I can't think of any player who doesn't like good and well-designed loot. Deliver, and you will have the support of everyone.

IP Logged

Sgtgig
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #15 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
He almost makes it sound like the ghostbane thing was intentional on his part to piss off the player base so much that greater attention would be brought to his pet plans.

No.

It absolutely does not sound like that, what the hell are you talking about.

(By the way, someone explain the whole Ghostbane being a meme thing. All I know about ghostbane is that it combined Ghost Touch and Undead Bane, which was honestly a great idea.)

IP Logged

Wyni
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Sgtgig wrote on Nov 8th, 2013 at 10:38pm:
(By the way, someone explain the whole Ghostbane being a meme thing. All I know about ghostbane is that it combined Ghost Touch and Undead Bane, which was honestly a great idea.)

The thing about ghostbane is that it drops constantly. As in, all the cool shit they introduced with MOTU was taken away and replaced with ghostbane and riposte. Ghostbane is great and all, but I'd like to actually loot something else every once in a while...

Now it seems that ghostbane has come to represent everything that is wrong with the feather'd loot these days.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2013 at 10:44pm by Wyni »  

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Sgtgig wrote on Nov 8th, 2013 at 10:38pm:

The ghostbane meme is DDO's spam meme. If you aren't familiar with spam, then here you go and just replace the word spam with ghostbane:

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #18 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
FOS seems to have a really, really hard time understanding the reason people liked the U14 lootgen was because it was a) rare b) powerful. Once FOS was done reaming the loot tables for U19, there was basically nothing rare (what, +11 stat?) or powerful (+11 stat... meh). And what few "powerful" things there are, are so because they're just jacked up stats or effects stolen from named items, obseleting all sorts of named items for no good reason and making all sorts of formerly neat effects pedestrian for no reason.

Meteoric dropping from ML1-ML28 makes it meh, not cool. Who the hell besides FOS wants ML1 Metoric that does 1d3 damage? Who the hell cares if Metoric has a Cometfall animation if at ML28 it's doing 6d3 damage with a DC20 save? Different affixes should drop at different levels, and the best stuff should be at the highest levels. Rare affixes should do powerful things at high levels.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2013 at 11:25pm by cdr »  

IP Logged

Selee
Abbot Raider

Reply #19 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
FoS puts a nice spin on it but here's probably the most accurate version-

FoS: I want to make my mark on the game, so let me revamp the loot system
Boss: OK, whatever

Later-

Boss: Work on this thing over here instead for a while
FoS: But I already irrevocably embedded my new loot system in the next update but haven't finished it yet
Boss: I'll let you get back to it later, just work on this
FoS: I want to keep my job, so yes sir

Still later

Boss: Ship it
FoS: My loot tables aren't done
Boss: Ship it
FoS: But you will ruin my mark on the game!
Boss: You will still have your mark, ship it!
FoS: OK, lemme stealthily change the droprate of - hmmm ghostbane - to ridiculous levels so the people make a fuss and I can finish my work later... Since they never test code before launch I will be fine! muahahaha

I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. - Ronald Reagan
Nice is for cowards and democrats - Red

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #20 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 3:59am
Print Post  
hmm, FoS tries damage control now ?

I suspect he has been Ghostbaned to do it by above in Turbine Food Chain before the forum was the target of another nuclear explosion.
( they have to hate these week end explosions that make them work when they should be relaxing )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Dhalgren
Big Sexy

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Possibly, but if so, then it was those above him saying "Say it's not your fault, it's ours", which is at least some level of owning the problem from manglement--albeit, a really passive and weasley way of going about owning the problem.

Which is still pretty weak and, after all, purely speculation on our part. Could just be that it's either a) deflection on FoS's part, or b) the way it really happened.

Either way, we'll probably never know for sure.

But I'm with cdr. I want high-level effects to be special, high-level stuff, not just stuff you can get at low levels but with higher numbers on it. That's just lame. I am wondering if doing things that way just cleans up the code for the way the game is scripted and they're looking for easy ways to clean up the codebase.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2013 at 9:39am by Dhalgren »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #22 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 10:53am
Print Post  
I appreciate communication.  Any communication.  They have been so silent on the loot issues.  And it's such a huge issue that all those missing prefixes and suffixes are gone.

FoS earned some honesty points with that last post.  I still don't trust his loot vision of randomness and such and I think that he threw some co-workers under the bus there and that's going to be dealt with, most likely.

Need details of what they are going to do to move from disappointed and frustrated to even cautiously optimistic at this point, though.

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #23 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Dhalgren wrote on Nov 9th, 2013 at 9:38am:
I am wondering if doing things that way just cleans up the code for the way the game is scripted and they're looking for easy ways to clean up the codebase.

That's what I am wondering too.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #24 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 9th, 2013 at 10:53am:
FoS earned some honesty points with that last post. 

Feather won't earn any honesty points until he repents for doing shitty work.

Nothing is ever his fault.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint