Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Old is forever new at Turbine (Read 6724 times)
Goaticorn
DQ Assaulter

Re: Old is forever new at Turbine
Reply #25 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 11:58am
Print Post  
[some shit] wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 8:33am:
I've been having an issue with excel crashing, is there a preloader for it?

The trick I've found is if you're trying to download a report - download it to email first, then take the email version of the sheet.  Works wonders every time!

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #26 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 8:23am:
D&D 3.5 was the BEST for this kind of thing, especially with all the multiclass options! I wasted MANY hours posting in or reading the Character Optimization board in the Wizards of the Coast D&D Forums.  Embarrassed

Always felt like 3.5 was a bit too much, 3300+ feats to choose from and 175 classes is a little silly.

I mean you know you went a bit overboard with content when people come up with Pun-Pun/Omniscificer and stuff like that :p

Last GM our group played with had a nice way to deal with that though. We were allowed access to all the core books and a few others to make our characters (we could pick the books we wanted, he decided how many). Then, as we progressed and earned gold, we could spend it on acquiring more books to further build our characters.

Always thought that gave a nice twist to the character building experience. Building within limitations always makes things more interesting to me.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #27 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Distributed wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 1:41pm:
Always felt like 3.5 was a bit too much, 3300+ feats to choose from and 175 classes is a little silly.

Puny thing... there's more than 7K Spells in Rolemaster ( yes I counted them 20 years ago 300+ lists with an average of 28 Spells per list [ Ok, that include all the Companions, Spacemaster Psions, Shadow World Essaence Spell Lists, and all the Special Spell lists and individual spells I could find ] ).... and 200+ Skills and a lot of classes.
( there's no Feat though Grin )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #28 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 2:18pm:
Puny thing... there's more than 7K Spells in Rolemaster ( yes I counted them 20 years ago 300+ lists with an average of 28 Spells per list [ Ok, that include all the Companions, Spacemaster Psions, Shadow World Essaence Spell Lists, and all the Special Spell lists and individual spells I could find ] ).... and 200+ Skills and a lot of classes.
( there's no Feat though Grin )

Eh, made me look up 3.5 spells, one site has 4700 of them :/

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #29 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
I'm talking of officially published spell lists... I stopped there, it took me long enough to create ( read : code ) the postscript files for all the lists with all the spells and all the book references and then print them.
At that time Internet was... Emails and Usenet. ( and yes there were some unofficial spell lists in the mailing list and the forums... but as there wasn't any archive at that time they are lost now )

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #30 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Doesn't making a character in Rolemaster take like, three or four days?

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #31 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 5:02pm:

More time than Traveler and nowhere near as fun!

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #32 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 3:17am
Print Post  

Nah, once you know the game and have a good excel sheet it takes 20 minutes.
( well honestly if you don't bother with the fluff and stay to the really important things you don't need the excel sheet and it still takes 20 minutes. )

If you want painful character creation go to Space Opera or Traveller ( First Edition )....
Or Champions or GURPS Super ( with a 500 Points character )

If you want Sadistic character creation I recommend Légendes.
( It's a 30 Year old PnP game where after 4/5 Hour of character creation you could discover that your character couldn't be alive and had to restart from scratch... At that time the French RPG magazine wrote ( long ) articles on how to create a character that could survive the creation process  )

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #33 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 3:17am:
Nah, once you know the game

Famous last words.  The person who was constantly pushing that game on our little group kept saying the same thing; he didn't mention excel, though, and didn't describe anything as "fluff."  He did keep mentioning that we could die at any moment, no matter how powerful we got, which was kind of counter productive...

after 4/5 Hour of character creation you could discover that your character couldn't be alive and had to restart from scratch... At that time the French RPG magazine wrote ( long ) articles on how to create a character that could survive the creation process  )

Cool, a game with built-in eugenics!

IP Logged

CanIHazYourStuff
DQ Assaulter

Niiiiiiii!

Reply #34 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
gurps... omfg...

Yarrrrrr!

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #35 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 2:17pm:
Famous last words.  The person who was constantly pushing that game on our little group kept saying the same thing; he didn't mention excel, though, and didn't describe anything as "fluff."  He did keep mentioning that we could die at any moment, no matter how powerful we got, which was kind of counter productive...

Really, Rolemaster once you're past the I love Tables stage is easy, you can play it with the following tables :
- The Generic Moving Maneuver Table
- The Generic Static Maneuver Table
- A Fit them all Attack table
- A Fit them all Critical table

Characters with 10 to 15 Skills that are important to adventuring. ( Hide, pick locks, disarm trap... you know the usual suspects )

( Yeah I know you can also call it MERP if you want  Roll Eyes Though there's still more tables in MERP )

Excel sheets are just useful if you want to bother with all the fluff ( it avoids the painful hours of recalculating everything every time you level ), but if you don't care about the fluff and just bother with the mechanic, you don't needs much.

As for the death ( or similar) at any time yes, it can happen, it's rare though... Extremely rare
In 30ish years of RM I've seen it happen twice.

One time one of my player threw a Trident while climbing a stair ( just the right weapon to do such a thing  Cheesy ) at my evil NPC Sorceress that was casting an Instant Death spell on one of the party...He rolled high enough in the hit and in the critical that the Trident ended in the Sorceress throat, ending the spell before it was cast. ( and getting me into Full Adventure Damage Control mode as they shouldn't have been able to kill her, especially at that stage )

At the other time, it was in Spacemaster ( Rolemaster in Space ), I managed to get my hands on a piece of extremely high tech called a starship ( it was a small freighter, but of a technology so advanced that it was worth... A lot ). I was trying to sneak through a Star Fleet with that freighter... in Full Cloaking, with so much Electronic Warfare running that it was almost impossible to see me... Much less manage to lock a weapon on me... My wicked GM stole my dices and started to make the rolls in front of me... He rolled 514 to see me ( even after the -200+ he had to do it due to all the ultra advanced tech that freighter had ), then he rolled a 416 to get a lock on the ship. And the crowning, he rolled 614 to the attack roll... Lets just say that my nice invaluable freighter had just become a huge piece of scrap and that I was lucky to manage to actually land with the wreck that was left.  [ Yes I STILL remember the rolls, because the probability to get those rolls is so remote that our GM went straight to get a lottery ticket when we took a break [ out of 22 Rolls he rolled 19 Rolls over 95 on a D100 ] ]

And last... Death has always been something relative in Rolemaster. ( Resurrection is such a useful spell )

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #36 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
CanIHazYourStuff wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 3:54pm:
gurps... omfg...

You should try Champions with a pack of minmaxers.

GURPS is weaksauce compared to it. ( with the same pack of minmaxers )

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #37 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 5:46pm
Print Post  

2 days

Ninja's and Superspies....hell, any Paladium game can take that long, or longer.  Fastest I ever got one done was 16 hours.  Started at 8am, finished at midnight.  I was so proud of myself.  I would buy 60 page notebooks for individual characters.  I still ran out of room on my Tinker and my Ninja.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #38 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 5:08pm:
One time one of my player threw a Trident while climbing a stair ( just the right weapon to do such a thing  Cheesy ) at my evil NPC Sorceress that was casting an Instant Death spell on one of the party...He rolled high enough in the hit and in the critical that the Trident ended in the Sorceress throat, ending the spell before it was cast. ( and getting me into Full Adventure Damage Control mode as they shouldn't have been able to kill her, especially at that stage )

Was play testing some combat in the DC Comics RPG with 2 friends.  We were drawing random cards from the character deck and running through combat.  Came up with Aquaman Vs Darkseid.  Anyway, Aquaman's attack comes up, "I throw a kick at Darkseid!" we all laugh and he then proceeds to roll 21 sets of doubles in a row.  Doing enough damage to 1 shot Darkseid.

Aquaman wasn't so much a wuss after that it seemed.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #39 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 5:57pm:
Aquaman wasn't so much a wuss after that it seemed.

Sounds... fishy.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #40 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Noobs. Fuzzy Heroes FTW Wink

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
If you want Sadistic character creation I recommend Légendes.
( It's a 30 Year old PnP game where after 4/5 Hour of character creation you could discover that your character couldn't be alive and had to restart from scratch... At that time the French RPG magazine wrote ( long ) articles on how to create a character that could survive the creation process  ) 

sounds like character creation *is* the game in that one.......lol.

IP Logged

euphrasyne
Korthos Resident

Reply #42 - Nov 19th, 2013 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
These days it seems to be TR at your own risk.  :/

Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous.
--Pratchett

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #43 - Nov 19th, 2013 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
euphrasyne wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 2:53pm:
These days it seems to be TR at your own risk.  :/

I'll let everyone else risk that.  I always do after an update. fricking Jotmon took a bullet.  thanks.  I guess.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #44 - Nov 19th, 2013 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 3:23pm:
I'll let everyone else risk that.  I always do after an update. fricking Jotmon took a bullet.  thanks.  I guess.

I'm ALMOST done mocking him in guild chat for that.

Almost.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint