Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) So what's the difference? Why the double standard? (Read 8613 times)
Cairnoir
Dragon Raider

I am not a farmer!

Re: So what's the difference? Why the double standard?
Reply #25 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 11:02pm:
You do have to appreciate that whole 'middle kingdom' we are the center of the world philosophy the Chinese have been giving off for nearly 4000 years.

I do. They've had their ups and downs and ups again. The racism extends regardless of genetic heritage of who conquered them or who they conquered. It's quite resilient, as an idea.

IP Logged

Vanshilar
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
At the risk of re-railing the thread, I don't know if there really is that big of a difference -- except for what you said, that one way is Turbine-approved. Whatever is Turbine-approved is, by default, allowed and okay, since they are the final arbiters of what is allowed or not since it's their game.

As much as people say that twists make TRs overpowered in lowbie quests and the lowbie experience "not fun" for everyone else, well, that's what lowbie twinking has always been about. Even Turbine accommodates it in various ways such as via past lives and gear such as the quiver of alacrity (usable at level 1 despite it being a raid item) and green steel (usable at level 11/12 despite it coming from a higher-level raid, or at least until recent changes). It's not as if people couldn't zerg previously and twists were what finally allowed them to do so. My understanding is that casters basically do this all the time when TR'ing (rounding up mobs and red alert signifies when it's time to do an AoE) although admittedly I've never played one.

A lot of the crowd will post about "how the game is meant to be played" but always leaves who does the meanting. It's almost always a way to say "you're wrong because the game should be played my way" without going into just why that poster is such an authoritative source and gets to decide how other players play. Ultimately it's Turbine that decides how the game is meant to be played, and they both set as well as enforce the rules to get players to comply with whatever are allowable ways to play as decided by Turbine.

Same thing with the working as intended (WAI) crowd. Even when I posted Turbine's direct words on exploits saying that perching is fine as long as you don't break the monster AI, people still came back and said well that's not how the game is meant to be played blah blah blah and that Turbine didn't intend for you to do it. I think that's when I realized that the people aren't really out to convince others or examine the merits of the different positions on each issue, but just posting for the feeling of moral superiority via statements like "well you know I'm right and you just won't admit it" (in other words, "I'm better than you because I'm right and you're wrong") and "well that's not the way you're supposed to do it" (in other words, "I'm better than you because I play the right way and you don't").

For whatever psychiatric reason a lot of people post on the DDO forums just to have that feeling of moral superiority over other people instead of actually trying to drive the discussion forward or bring up new points; I think I mentioned elsewhere that most of the biggest OR-bashers are actually the biggest elitist pricks on Orien (for the most part, we don't usually mind pugs as long as they follow directions so the raids/quests go smoothly), and whenever our members posted on the DDO forums to try to improve the state of play the threads just got flamed until they got closed so those people could score political points (why Turbine never banned the posters that derail those threads in the first place, I have no idea). Obviously the Orien server is infested with these types of people. That's why the other OR members stopped trying to post advice about how to play in the Orien forums and why I tend to post to the forum community at large rather than be specifically devoted to one server.

IP Logged

Bacara
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 12:16am
Print Post  
NaturalHazard wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 10:59pm:
lol by far the least?

Much of what they claim to invent follows a pattern, Its concept began in China but was developed and perfected further by the west  Grin

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #28 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 12:18am
Print Post  
same answer I always give:

this game isn't competitive. You never play against another player. Thus, it is totally irrelevant if someone uses a box, or uses twists to level, or plays HC Permadeath.

I give fully less than 2 shits what anyone else does in this game.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #29 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Bacara wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 12:16am:
Much of what they claim to invent follows a pattern, Its concept began in China but was developed and perfected further by the west  Grin

spaghetti, paper currency, gun powder, anal sex.  OK maybe that last one was invented by the Greeks.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Bacara
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 12:26am
Print Post  
Cairnoir wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 11:05pm:
You are obviously not. Asia?

Is that your attempt at wit? Is it you're inarticulate? Are you yourself Chinese? Speak the king's English like a good world citizen, help me out here man.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #31 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 12:29am
Print Post  
Cairnoir wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 11:05pm:
You are obviously not. Asia?

Africa?

IP Logged

Bacara
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 12:29am
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 12:23am:
spaghetti, paper currency, gun powder, anal sex.  OK maybe that last one was invented by the Greeks.

I could have sworn I saw something like that in Chauvet a few years back...

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #33 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 12:30am
Print Post  
Bacara wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 12:29am:
I could have sworn I saw something like that in Chauvet a few years back...

lol!  Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #34 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Most racist..? Although elves look like it, maybe dwarfs in a amusing way thinking they are best of everything... Would also say dark elves as they already seem to hate most...

IP Logged

Quak
Dragon Raider

Reply #35 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 3:21am
Print Post  
an ottos box is a legit exploit, allowed by turbine because you pay them money to add 3,4mill exp to your character.

duping and twists are bad, because there's no money involved that goes into turbine's pockets.

lawful pallies prolly buy tons of otto's boxes to brag bout having a triple completionist without having used a single exploit  Roll Eyes most of them are simply too dumb to understand what they are actually doing. ppl that are using the twists in heroic levels, at least play their character all the way through to lvl 20 xd

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #36 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 3:30am
Print Post  
Turbine haven't monetized twists in heroic levels. Classification : Bug.

« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2013 at 3:30am by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

totally
DQ Assaulter

Reply #37 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 6:22am
Print Post  
EDIT: Never mind.
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2013 at 6:28am by totally »  

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #38 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 6:37am
Print Post  
Quak wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 3:21am:
ppl that are using the twists in heroic levels, at least play their character all the way through to lvl 20 xd

Not all of us.

Er... "them", I mean to say.

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

AnalFissure
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 7:44am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 3:30am:
Turbine haven't monetized twists in heroic levels. Classification : Bug.

They sold you the destinies in the first place, dumb-ass.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #40 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 7:56am
Print Post  
AnalFissure wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 7:44am:
They sold you the destinies in the first place, dumb-ass.

Yeah.. how fucking dense are you?

they sold "epic destinies" they haven't monetized "heroic destinies" yet, thus it's a bug.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #41 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
GimpyPaw wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 7:12pm:
People bitching about using twists and high level gear to quickly level, zerg through quests, ect.  "It's not how the game is meant to be played." "Why cheat, the game is easy enough as it is?"  They whine about running through a quest in God mode and how that's not playing or enjoying the game.

What about using an Otto's Box then?  Give me a break, drinking a 50% pot, getting your ship's 5%, the Master's Gift 5%, and cracking a box open isn't exactly playing the game either.

So tell me how using some gear and fate points is so damned different from the Turbine Approved method of bypassing quests and quickly leveling? 

Well, I can't say for sure about their motivations.  And I suspect that they wouldn't admit it, or don't realize it themselves.  But I think it adds up to (for a bunch of them, at least)  "They can do something cool that I can't do/haven't unlocked/don't know how to do.  BURN THE WITCHES!"

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #42 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 7:19pm:
If you are asking for justification of actions you may or may not have committed, you have done wrong in your own eyes. Truly, those are the only eyes that should matter.

Today's Daily Affirmation has been brought to you by Epoch and the state of Alaska and the numbers potato and carrot.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 7:19pm:
If you are asking for justification of actions you may or may not have committed, you have done wrong in your own eyes. Truly, those are the only eyes that should matter.

Wisdom from the vaults hate monster?  This can't be a good sign.

IP Logged

CanIHazYourStuff
DQ Assaulter

Niiiiiiii!

Reply #44 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Vanshilar wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 11:49pm:
At the risk of re-railing the thread, I don't know if there really is that big of a difference -- except for what you said, that one way is Turbine-approved. Whatever is Turbine-approved is, by default, allowed and okay, since they are the final arbiters of what is allowed or not since it's their game.

As much as people say that twists make TRs overpowered in lowbie quests and the lowbie experience "not fun" for everyone else, well, that's what lowbie twinking has always been about. Even Turbine accommodates it in various ways such as via past lives and gear such as the quiver of alacrity (usable at level 1 despite it being a raid item) and green steel (usable at level 11/12 despite it coming from a higher-level raid, or at least until recent changes). It's not as if people couldn't zerg previously and twists were what finally allowed them to do so. My understanding is that casters basically do this all the time when TR'ing (rounding up mobs and red alert signifies when it's time to do an AoE) although admittedly I've never played one.

A lot of the crowd will post about "how the game is meant to be played" but always leaves who does the meanting. It's almost always a way to say "you're wrong because the game should be played my way" without going into just why that poster is such an authoritative source and gets to decide how other players play. Ultimately it's Turbine that decides how the game is meant to be played, and they both set as well as enforce the rules to get players to comply with whatever are allowable ways to play as decided by Turbine.

Same thing with the working as intended (WAI) crowd. Even when I posted Turbine's direct words on exploits saying that perching is fine as long as you don't break the monster AI, people still came back and said well that's not how the game is meant to be played blah blah blah and that Turbine didn't intend for you to do it. I think that's when I realized that the people aren't really out to convince others or examine the merits of the different positions on each issue, but just posting for the feeling of moral superiority via statements like "well you know I'm right and you just won't admit it" (in other words, "I'm better than you because I'm right and you're wrong") and "well that's not the way you're supposed to do it" (in other words, "I'm better than you because I play the right way and you don't").

For whatever psychiatric reason a lot of people post on the DDO forums just to have that feeling of moral superiority over other people instead of actually trying to drive the discussion forward or bring up new points; I think I mentioned elsewhere that most of the biggest OR-bashers are actually the biggest elitist pricks on Orien (for the most part, we don't usually mind pugs as long as they follow directions so the raids/quests go smoothly), and whenever our members posted on the DDO forums to try to improve the state of play the threads just got flamed until they got closed so those people could score political points (why Turbine never banned the posters that derail those threads in the first place, I have no idea). Obviously the Orien server is infested with these types of people. That's why the other OR members stopped trying to post advice about how to play in the Orien forums and why I tend to post to the forum community at large rather than be specifically devoted to one server.

I'm sorry, can't read WoTs. My ophtalmologist  said so.

Yarrrrrr!

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #45 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
CanIHazYourStuff wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 4:04pm:
I'm sorry, can't read WoTs. My ophtalmologist  said so.

You're missing out if you're choosing to blow off Vanshilar's message because it contains more words than "PM Epoch".

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Nov 19th, 2013 at 3:52am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 4:09pm:
You're missing out if you're choosing to blow off Vanshilar's message because it contains more words than "PM Epoch".

It's not even that wot'y.  It's long but it has paragraphs and punctuation.

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Nov 19th, 2013 at 4:14am
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 12:23am:

I thought the hindu's invented sex, well good sex? And the greeks invented homosexuality and beastiality?
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2013 at 4:16am by NaturalHazard »  

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #48 - Nov 19th, 2013 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Vanshilar wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 11:49pm:

The whole post is great, but this part resonated with one of my pet peeves. I hate it coming from Turdbine and I hate it from players. Don't tell me how to have fun with entertainment I'm paying for.

That attitude is behind the moronic idea to force sagas for HoW (you should play a variety of quests) and the selfish calls to remove dungeon scaling (you should have to fill a PUG).

I'm really sorry for you (the people forcing, not Vanshilar) if you can't get people to join you in what you want to do, but don't dictate how people "should" play the game, that just drives off even more players from a game you're already killing with bugs and gratuitous changes.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

RynD
Korthos Resident

Beholder the Pumpkin!

Reply #49 - Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
GimpyPaw wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 7:15pm:
I think the "other" forum wouldn't allow this type of question to stay up very long.

Agreed and they should stop bitching about it. But anything to make them look bad makes you racist these days. Ask the Right.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint