Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) State of the forum thread. (Read 12454 times)
Crunch ButtSteak
Stormreaver Piker

Fer teh lolz

State of the forum thread.
Nov 21st, 2013 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/431145-State-of-the-Forum

Cubed.  It was a little bit rabid/whinybaby, and mildly entertaining.

Did manage to save some of it:

woodchuckslayer Quote:
State of the Forum

When I consider the volume of my meager number of posts and consider the fact that at least half of these are combating people that are arrogant and rude on the forums I must consider the fact that their is little point in visiting such a place. When I post something it is for the betterment of a game that I...generally..enjoy based in no small part on nostalgia. That said the climate here is often in stark opposition to such. I think it is time for accountability. I won;t post here anymore to gamble whether others believe my concerns legitimate or not. One less voice. No big deal.

The same goes for bug reports. No more bug reports. I am not a payed playtester.

Consider(and I know there will be trolls calling this melodramatic) how many voice you people have already chased away. Consider further how many more you will. Then remember that even if you have a problem with players not like yourself you NEED them. At least so long as you wish to play DDO. Because it is a certainty that you abusive sort are a minority and they will NOT leave the servers up when you are all that is left.

So..feel superior about that bit of truth, if you can, and goodbye.

Memnir Quote:

ROFLCOPTER!!!

Schaden_freude Quote:
TLDR; No one agreed with me in my other thread, so I'm taking my ball and going home.

Lol!

Pooklebunny Quote:
Hi Welcome

A timeless classic.

Cauthey_No_CCInfo Quote:
I think much of the sourness and bitterness you've seen could be a product of a player community that has collectively felt that it has been used and abused by the game company. Much like you stated... what's the point of voicing feedback, filling out bug reports, etc., if it feels as though no one out there values that feedback?

I know for a fact that many of the "community champion" devs DO value our feedback (and our bug reports), but often they are not the ones making the decisions and steering the ship.

Though, I must say that recently there seems to have been a renewed effort at engaging the player community. I think many are still skeptical, and of a mind of "too little, too late." I do still have some hope. There has been some consistent engagement from devs and community reps for a few weeks running now. Not only that - the producers have heard some of our pleas, and are working within the framework of their goals to try and also deliver a game that the players want.

These efforts have not gone unnoticed. I haven't given Turbine any money for TPs for some time now, but I am considering going VIP for a while as a gesture of my own thanks for Turbine making the effort to come to the players.

You, certainly, may see it differently, and have different recent perceptions. Either way, I hope that you can make your peace with or without the forums, and at least still continue to enjoy the game.

Meh.

I enjoyed Memnir's response, especially.  *high five, bro!*

IP Logged

Crunch ButtSteak
Stormreaver Piker

Fer teh lolz

Re: State of the forum thread.
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2013 at 10:03pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

a Kitteh
DQ Assaulter

lolwut?

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 12:01am
Print Post  
dang that got closed fast

Grace wrote on Feb 16th, 2012 at 5:14pm:
When a quest thinks you are so bad you need to reroll, that's srsbznz.

IP Logged

dilnu
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 12:06am
Print Post  
Hah

IP Logged

Neru
Titan Demolisher

Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 1:23am
Print Post  
I was in a similar boat once. I stopped posting on the official forums years ago when I got bored of the infractions, thread deletions and temporary forum bans simply for telling the truth about the state of the forums and providing extremely constructive suggestions as to what could help improve it.

I did this in a sincere, professional and polite tone and having the majority of the community agreeing with me.

Also, fuck you Cordovan.

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 1:55am
Print Post  
guy needs help, should we start a *Save the woodchucks* thread in the mother forums? lol

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 1:57am
Print Post  
Neru wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 1:23am:
I was in a similar boat once. I stopped posting on the official forums years ago when I got bored of the infractions, thread deletions and temporary forum bans simply for telling the truth about the state of the forums and providing extremely constructive suggestions as to what could help improve it.

I did this in a sincere, professional and polite tone and having the majority of the community agreeing with me.

Also, fuck you Cordovan.

Telling them the truth about their forums? Madness!

Sad how it's down to a "You don't agree with us, you're out policy".

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 2:16am
Print Post  
Neru wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 1:23am:

I never got any infractions (I know, wuss) but I gave up on the official forums after seeing posts like you describe dissapear. I am OK with personal attacks against players dissapearing, but silencing debate on game issues is stupid and wrong.

Nice post from Cauthey, not much drama value but I admire how he manages to maintain a steady pressure on Turdbine to improve without burning out in frustration or going far enough to get banned.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Turkantho
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 3:39am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 2:16am:
Nice post from Cauthey, not much drama value but I admire how he manages to maintain a steady pressure on Turdbine to improve without burning out in frustration or going far enough to get banned.

Still I can't stop to laugh at him for his no_ccinfo account as if that somehow manages to obscure something, his 'old' account with ccinfo is still in the system and if turdbine got hacked and user info got copied it wont matter if he posted with a 2nd 'safe' account.

IP Logged

Neru
Titan Demolisher

Reply #9 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 4:04am
Print Post  
Distributed wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 1:57am:
Telling them the truth about their forums? Madness!

Sad how it's down to a "You don't agree with us, you're out policy".

Not just that. During my time of official forum activeness, the turbine moderators for some strange fucking reason always sided with large, loud guilds such as Soulless of Sarlona when they still existed.

You had a minor disagreement with a member of Soulless then you get slapped on the wrist with an 2 point infraction by Cordovan. Sadly, I am not kidding.

IP Logged

RAM
Korthos Resident

Not by Strength by Guile

Reply #10 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 4:44am
Print Post  
Jewie played (plays?) on Sarlona... Soulless (and others) were among the few that would tolerate his stupidity (and eXXXtreme incompetency).

When you suck so bad to play yourself you protect those that let you pike  Undecided

IP Logged

Neru
Titan Demolisher

Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 4:58am
Print Post  
*shrug* I won't knock on Soulless in its entirely as there were a handful of members that I respected. I'm just using them as one of countless memorable examples for why I hate the way forum moderation is handled.

For a brief few months they were the loud drama guild of the Sarlona section on the official forums that the moderators would always defend - Especially IWMettleblade and Cordovan.

IP Logged

Slug
Shroud Slacker

Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 6:46am
Print Post  
Crunch ButtSteak wrote on Nov 21st, 2013 at 9:51pm:
Drama

We should make a subforum on the vault just for drama like this.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 7:17am
Print Post  
Slug wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 6:46am:
We should make a subforum on the vault just for drama like this.

Great idea!  I can't believe nobody had thought of that.

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

[some shit]
Titan Demolisher

Reply #14 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 7:20am
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 7:17am:
Great idea!  I can't believe nobody had thought of that.

What about making one for Diddledumb? The only subforum he can post on, which doesn't influence post count?

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #15 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Quote:
Still I can't stop to laugh at him for his no_ccinfo account as if that somehow manages to obscure something, his 'old' account with ccinfo is still in the system and if turdbine got hacked and user info got copied it wont matter if he posted with a 2nd 'safe' account.

It would protect him from a man in the middle attack and a shallow penetration that could grab authentication transactions, which in most cases is more likely than a full pwn.

Plus it's a fantastic protest to Turdbine, every time anybody sees his name they are reminded how Turdbine sacrificed our security for their convenience. His mere name is a jab at their incompetence and indifference, and yet they can't make him change it without looking like even bigger idiots.

But I agree with you, when the Forum Downgrade rolled out I called and cleared out my CC info on all accounts.

<sarcasm>And surprisingly, I haven't given it back to them ...</sarcasm>

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #16 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 10:34am
Print Post  
I think the guy in the thread is being a bit naive. 

It's like the guy walked into a strip joint and was like "What's with all the exploitative nudity and all the alcohol and smoking?  I came here to get some really good chicken wings and potato skins.  Can't I do this without all you people acting like degenerates?"

There's plenty of places on the internet for calm, rational dialogue by intelligent, mature people.  A gaming forum is not one of them.

IP Logged

DiddleDoo
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 10:34am:
I think the guy in the thread is being a bit naive. 

It's like the guy walked into a strip joint and was like "What's with all the exploitative nudity and all the alcohol and smoking?  I came here to get some really good chicken wings and potato skins.  Can't I do this without all you people acting like degenerates?"

There's plenty of places on the internet for calm, rational dialogue by intelligent, mature people.  A gaming forum is not one of them. 

That's not it at all. Read his original post. He came  out with piss and vinegar about an item not working the same. When it was shown his item NEVER did what he claimed, he claimed their evidence was illegitimate. When he finally accepted he was wrong, he called everyone trolls who pointed it out.

He might have a point about the forum being hostile - but he brought it upon himself.

I mean, it's like me making a thread claiming you guys are mean because you made fun of my single letter threads.

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #18 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 10:44am
Print Post  
That was a fun thread. Smiley
Alas, the good ones always die young.

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

Neru
Titan Demolisher

Reply #19 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 4:22am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 10:34am:

Not quite a strip joint, but a family restaurant. I've seen many real life accounts of people complaining over at Hooters about coming for wings and not being able to do it without being surrounded by boobs and silly birthday skits.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #20 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Neru wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 4:04am:
Not just that. During my time of official forum activeness, the turbine moderators for some strange fucking reason always sided with large, loud guilds such as Soulless of Sarlona when they still existed.

You had a minor disagreement with a member of Soulless then you get slapped on the wrist with an 2 point infraction by Cordovan. Sadly, I am not kidding.

As far as I can tell, in that period of time, they just slapped the infraction down on whoever was reported.  If you weren't spamming the report button, they wouldn't get infractions.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Neru
Titan Demolisher

Reply #21 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Nov 23rd, 2013 at 2:13pm:
As far as I can tell, in that period of time, they just slapped the infraction down on whoever was reported.  If you weren't spamming the report button, they wouldn't get infractions.

You're probably right  Undecided

IP Logged

Vanshilar
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 2:16am:
I never got any infractions (I know, wuss) but I gave up on the official forums after seeing posts like you describe dissapear. I am OK with personal attacks against players dissapearing, but silencing debate on game issues is stupid and wrong.

Turbine also has a stupid policy of shutting down derailed threads rather than giving heavy infractions to whoever did the derailing. It amounts to a "heckler's veto" -- if there's a thread about something that you disagree with, just keep derailing it and making it about personal stuff rather than the original game issues until it devolves into stupid arguments and Turbine will just close it at no cost to you. It doesn't matter who was bringing up good points or anything. And once it gets shut down people are less likely to bring up the topic again -- or at least, those that follow the rules about not re-posting closed thread topics, since it's sometimes hard to distinguish if a thread was closed/removed because of bickering or because the topic itself was improper.

The "exploit!" crowd uses this confusion as to why moderation was done to the fullest. When Shat posted his solo raids, people would be quick to say "hey Shat must've used X exploit! What a cheater!" and when those posts were removed they would then follow up with "see the posts got removed because X really is an exploit!" even though, you know, accusing someone of using an exploit is against the rules (either the accusation is false and you are "Posting or commenting with the intent of provoking ("trolling") another user or users" or the accusation is true and you are "Creating a thread, post, or comment on any of the Community Sites that calls out another player(s) for their actions in the game"). Since it takes time to point out the flaws in their arguments (i.e. give an informative response rather than just do their style of blanket accusations), more often than not the posts would be removed by the time I or others were able to post, with the result that all everyone else sees is accusations of exploits followed by their removal in those threads, without seeing the responses to them.

And the kicker is, of course, that those people are still happily posting away with no ill effects. We simply didn't want to retaliate in kind even though many of them were using obvious exploits in what they posted. And I don't mean "obvious" in the sense of "you must have used some (unspecified) perch spot" like what they were posting about Shat; to this date we still have no idea what was the "pillar dirt" exploit that Shat supposedly used. I mean "obvious" as in I could directly state what exploit it was, how you could tell, and how there was no other way except that the exploit was being used. This third point is key because anyone can always hypothesize some hidden unseen exploit that would fit the screenshots (similar to the "God of the gaps" argument where you can always say that God exists in the stuff we don't understand yet i.e. the available data) and since Shat posts the threads after completion, it's impossible for him to go back and get more screenshots to disprove them, without taking the effort re-solo the raid again.

Of course I had mentioned this to Turbine (sent a PM to either Tolero or Cordovan about it, forgot whom), that people blanket accusing others of exploits in the achievements forum with no basis was bad for the community atmosphere and against the forum rules (and detailing specifically how those people were wrong i.e. answering the specific accusations that were in their removed posts) but nothing ever happened; the same people continued posting their exploit accusations, meaning Turbine removed their posts but they either got so few infractions that they didn't care, or they never got any infractions at all for it.

That's why Shat eventually just posted that if these people were really serious and adamant that Shat had used any exploits, they should just directly report Shat for exploiting; he doesn't mind Turbine investigating him, and in fact we already sort of suspected that Turbine was snooping him when he soloed the raids to see how he was doing it, since he posted about them as he did them. So obviously we didn't plan on using any exploits when going over the solo raid strategies (not that we're aware of any). That those posters didn't (or at least, we never heard from any GM about it) just shows whether those posters were really serious about alerting Turbine to exploits being used, or were simply trying to fling mud at other players.

Neru wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 4:04am:

Not only that, but Turbine showed obvious favoritism to certain posters. For example, Shade could accuse Shat of exploiting in raids with impunity. Shat, when refuting one of Shade's posts, used the word "bullshait" and got the post removed and 2 infractions for it. Shade then referred to the deleted post saying something about how obviously even Turbine agrees with him, part of his "disagreeing with me is against the rules" schtick (which is violating the rule about referring to deleted posts and putting words in Turbine's mouth, somewhat violating the rule about impersonating Turbine, especially since in Shat's infraction PM it said it because misspelling filtered words was against the rules) and didn't actually address any of the points Shat mentioned. Obviously, Turbine never did anything about what Shade posted that I'm aware of. Obviously, Shade is now in another game claiming that everyone else is exploiting, so nothing's changed ("I'm the best, and anyone that can beat me is obviously exploiting" philosophy).

It'd be nice if Turbine would actually enforce the rules evenly, but certain posters know they can troll others all they want without catching any flak from Turbine on the DDO forums -- blanket saying others are wrong without any justification, accusing others of stuff, etc. Amazingly, those posters don't post on the Vault, despite the Vault ostensibly not having rules against such behavior, and thus the Vault doesn't suffer from the same kind of disruptions that they unleash on the DDO forums. I wonder why that is?

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #23 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Vanshilar, I understand your beef with Turbine forum moderation, but posting in the achievements section is always likely to attract attention of "You Exploited!" people. So, either "he who shall not be named" should grow some thick skin or take his fragile ego off of the forums...

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #24 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 1:12am
Print Post  
Vanshilar wrote on Nov 23rd, 2013 at 9:03pm:
It amounts to a "heckler's veto"

LOL, awesome term, I hadn't heard it before but it fits perfectly. I hadn't thought of people doing it on purpose, but that makes a lot of sense, the bastards.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint