Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Many Shot does exist in real life (Read 27662 times)
NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Re: Many Shot does exist in real life
Reply #100 - Dec 1st, 2013 at 12:09am
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Nov 30th, 2013 at 10:26pm:
Thanks man; glad you got something out of the wall of text Smiley

Well from the top of my head i thought it might of been something about the materials first used......then I did further reading and I thought it might be aesthetics......cause you know......Japanese..............

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #101 - Dec 1st, 2013 at 8:35am
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Dec 1st, 2013 at 12:04am:
Two walls of text, two learning experiences.

I don't know what you do for a living, but if it isn't writing educational texts, it should be.

I work in information security; another field which is interesting for reasons other than the ones most people imagine  Wink

Sincere thanks for the thought, I'm genuinely really pleased you think so, but I'd fail at writing educational texts: I don't know enough about anything to fill more than a foldout pamphlet!  Grin

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #102 - Dec 1st, 2013 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Dec 1st, 2013 at 8:35am:
I work in information security; another field which is interesting for reasons other than the ones most people imagine  Wink

Sincere thanks for the thought, I'm genuinely really pleased you think so, but I'd fail at writing educational texts: I don't know enough about anything to fill more than a foldout pamphlet!  Grin

You'd be amazed at how even a pamphlet is more than most people know.  And condensing information to a short form for laymen is it's own artform.

IP Logged

Dhalgren
Big Sexy

I Love Drama!

Reply #103 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 8:22am
Print Post  
Quote:
You'd be amazed at how even a pamphlet is more than most people know.  And condensing information to a short form for laymen is it's own artform.

I do have a background in technical writing and education, and I would have to say that I agree.

Being able to break stuff down into a form that makes sense to even the random forum reader is a bit of a gift. For one thing, you do have to really know your subject to be able to do that. I think you have that particular base covered. For me, it helps a great deal that you are able to not only cite your sources (and are willing and able to state what your confidence in those sources is) and also offer your own opinions but that you are also willing to label them as opinions or conjecture where appropriate. It makes me want to do my own research into the topic. And that is huge.

One may not always be able to confer or know the absolute truth of something, but for an educator, making the topic interesting and worth pursuing is a major goal. I think you have that gift.
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2013 at 8:23am by Dhalgren »  

IP Logged

Freshly Snipes
Korthos Resident

Beware of the Madstoned
Healer!!!!

Reply #104 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Very interesting conversation...

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #105 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Well, hell guys...  You've given me something to think about. 

Thank you.

wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #106 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Nov 30th, 2013 at 6:52pm:
Answer: because you don't want to be seen.

So... waving a really big attention-grabbing stick several feet over the top of your head is probably not the effect you're looking for.

OK, I've been busy but hopefully you're still thinking of this and willing to discuss a bit more.

I bow hunt (poorly) and I have to go to great lengths to minimize the outline of the human form. A big stick? No problem, the woods is full of them. Every broken dead sapling is a big stick. The outline of a man standing is a big problem, though.

And saying the people of one area wouldn't have found an adaptation advantageous because people in other areas didn't find it advantageous isn't convincing to me either. Are they hunting similar game on similar terrains with similar vegetation? Because hunting in mature hardwood forests requires a different approach (pun intended) than hunting on open farmland or abandoned hay fields.

So, what I'm asking is, what conditions were they hunting or fighting under? What strategies did they use? Do we know or is that lost?

I'm totally convinced by your arguments on Shinto, Horses, Materials, and Technology, but the Hunting argument still rests uneasily in my mind.
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2013 at 10:28pm by Meursault »  

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #107 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks Persiflage. Actually yes, a bit disapointed, but it seems logical: because Japanese.

I lived 4 years there, and I am now having some vacations there, so I know what I am saying.

Here for example a bistro where adifferenthandle would hang out in Tokyo:

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #108 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 5:03am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Dec 2nd, 2013 at 9:50pm:
OK, I've been busy but hopefully you're still thinking of this and willing to discuss a bit more.

I bow hunt (poorly) and I have to go to great lengths to minimize the outline of the human form. A big stick? No problem, the woods is full of them. Every broken dead sapling is a big stick. The outline of a man standing is a big problem, though.

And saying the people of one area wouldn't have found an adaptation advantageous because people in other areas didn't find it advantageous isn't convincing to me either. Are they hunting similar game on similar terrains with similar vegetation? Because hunting in mature hardwood forests requires a different approach (pun intended) than hunting on open farmland or abandoned hay fields.

So, what I'm asking is, what conditions were they hunting or fighting under? What strategies did they use? Do we know or is that lost?

I'm totally convinced by your arguments on Shinto, Horses, Materials, and Technology, but the Hunting argument still rests uneasily in my mind.

Wouldn't a long bow that you had to hold 1/3 of the way down to shoot be a bit cumbersome in bushy areas? Especially anywhere there is low hanging branches?

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #109 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 7:01am
Print Post  
NaturalHazard wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 5:03am:
Wouldn't a long bow that you had to hold 1/3 of the way down to shoot be a bit cumbersome in bushy areas? Especially anywhere there is low hanging branches?

In a forest with little undergrowth and many low hanging branches a bow you held 1/3 down would be more cumbersome.

In low scrub with a few trees a bow you held 1/3 down would be less cumbersome.

Which is exactly my point - what is more cumbersome changes based on the landscape.

It has me wondering, with no time to follow up now, what the bows of the Australian bushmen are like - they would have much more interference from groundcover than from overhead branches.

So many variables!

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #110 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 7:11am
Print Post  

I wasn't really thinking about it any more, but sure  Smiley

You raise good points.  My argument was presented semi-facetiously and I may have diluted it inadvertently as a result...

On the terrain front, well, we're looking at roughly the same mix and I should have mentioned that.  Mature forest in some places, mountainous scrub in others, open grassland, riverine valleys.  Both places go up and down a lot, is what I mean to say  Smiley  The main environmental difference is climate, which affects the viable construction methods of wooden weapons rather than the shape of same.

I freely concede, however, that I was more considering warfare in open terrain rather than guerrilla tactics in woodland when I made that remark.  Nice catch  Smiley

However, I'd also remark that it was just a small pillar of the argument.  Remember, I was responding to a chain of reasoning: small people preferring large bows to be intimidating, having to kneel for hunting and thus wanting an off-centered grip. 

The big question is; if warriors (psychological warfare, big bows) and hunters (shooting from crouch, short lower bow limb) had differing requirements for bows - and I'm quite prepared to concede that they did - then why didn't they use different bows?  The Chinese recurved bows (which did see use in court for a time) would have been infinitely "better" for hunting, having similar power and range but in a much more compact format. 

The thrust of my argument, which I confess may well have been lost, was that the technical argument for "why" only works - at all - if you consider that the people using the bows were thinking from a technical perspective.  If they were thinking that way, how could they have been so dumb for so long in not choosing to use more appropriate weapons that they knew about?  We can't posit that they didn't know how to make them, because they went right ahead and borrowed the same construction techniques to make their own shape of bow.  To me, that implies a dedication to the form which transcends the merely practical...  but it was only ever my own conclusion.

Returning for a moment to your own observations on terrain and appropriate hunting-craft...  Japan has very varied environments, but I can't find sources (which doesn't mean they don't exist, just that I can't find them) citing the use of regional types of bows for hunting, such as existed pretty much everywhere else.

Yikes.  That could easily occupy a wall of text bigger than the previous two  Wink  Much is known, in both instances.

That's okay, perhaps I'm wrong.  The question really is; do you still find the argument for the bow being that shape due to the users shooting from a crouching position to be a satisfying one?  In the context of at least 1500 years of use, in every situation a bow would be called for?  Smiley

Apologies if this all sounds a bit rushed and poorly-thought-out; that's 'cos it is!  I have a CV to write and this is displacement activity.  Grin

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #111 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 7:17am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 7:01am:
It has me wondering, with no time to follow up now, what the bows of the Australian bushmen are like - they would have much more interference from groundcover than from overhead branches.

The bows of Australian bushmen...  "weren't".  They used spear and spear-throwers.  Bows and arrows were in use - at least by primitive peoples - at one time or another in every part of the world except Australia.  I have never heard a convincing reason as to why that should be... availability of materials would certainly have been an issue for some tribes, but by no means all.  I admit I've never spent a lot of time thinking about it, but right now I got nothin' for ya  Smiley

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #112 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Nice work, but geez who got Persi started

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #113 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 7:11am:
The Chinese recurved bows (which did see use in court for a time) would have been infinitely "better" for hunting, having similar power and range but in a much more compact format. 

Ahh, I hadn't known they were known and of similar power. That they copied the much more difficult technology of lamination and not the simpler technology of the recurve shape is significant.

So they would have gotten the ability to crouch and the same power by using a laminated recurve, technology they would have known about and been capable of imitating?

OK, so that is pretty convincing, but just one more teensey weensie question. you mentioned :Persiflage wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 7:11am:
The big question is; if warriors (psychological warfare, big bows) and hunters (shooting from crouch, short lower bow limb) had differing requirements for bows - and I'm quite prepared to concede that they did - then why didn't they use different bows?

Was there anything that might have artificially prevented this? Materials being prohibitively expensive on the island? Laws like the English Sumptuary laws limiting the quantity or size of bows citizens were permitted?

I still have some thinking to do on this, but you've pretty much convinced me. Thanks, it's been educational and satisfying!

EDIT: Oh, and good luck on your CV Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2013 at 4:48pm by Meursault »  

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #114 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Ahh, I hadn't known they were known and of similar power.

Oh, yes.  The Mongol bows later, too.  I have one of those (well, a good reproduction) and they're immense fun; crazy powerful for their size.

That they copied the much more difficult technology of lamination and not the simpler technology of the recurve shape is significant.

I thought so  Smiley

So they would have gotten the ability to crouch and the same power by using a laminated recurve, technology they would have known about and been capable of imitating?

Not only "were capable of", but "did".  Bows made after the Chinese style were used in court rituals for a while.  It didn't take.

Was there anything that might have artificially prevented this? Materials being prohibitively expensive on the island? Laws like the English Sumptuary laws limiting the quantity or size of bows citizens were permitted?

All I can say is: not that I have ever come across.  You have to think about the stretch of time we're discussing, too; said laws would have had to be in force for centuries... and they'd act the opposite way to most such laws around the world.  You mentioned the Sumptuary Laws (which were, incidentally, never that much enforced, in England at least).  What were they for?  Enforcing class distinctions in dress (although there's a much more interesting background to this which suggests that in many European countries they were as much for supporting businesses - and therefore tax revenues - by reducing foreign imports).

Japan had, in the Tokugawa period, sumptuary laws which were stricter and more detailed than any others recorded... but they were strictly to make all classes of person immediately distinguishable from one another by their dress.

Against that background, can you tell me honestly that you think it's possible a law would have been enforced which *prevented* common people - i.e. peasants hunting for the pot and professional hunters bringing down game for market - from using a different weapon to the Samurai?  I could see them passing laws which prevented the use of the same weapon, sure (although they never did), but not passing one which forced commoners to use a nobleman's weapon.

EDIT: Oh, and good luck on your CV Smiley

Thanks; I managed to send it off eventually...  The world had better hope I don't get the job; even *I* shudder to think what would happen if they put me in charge of something like that  Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2013 at 7:20pm by Persiflage »  

IP Logged

Crunch ButtSteak
Stormreaver Piker

Fer teh lolz

Reply #115 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Fagotto

Lol!  +1!

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #116 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Nov 27th, 2013 at 6:34pm:
But think about the home of the longbow, the country where learning the longbow was in many places a requirement, where pretty much every male under a certain income bracket (100 pence per year!) could shoot the longbow (or so it is often said; evidence suggests that one in three adult males were considered "archers" in the shire levies of the 1500's, but that's still a hell of a base to work from).  Guns were *still* vociferously argued for by certain camps, despite the fact that - at that point - they were demonstrably inferior in the field.

the primary reason the firearm replaced the bow, in spite of the rate of fire and accuracy advantages extremely well trained bowmen had over early riflemen is because of economics.

once the gun was able to be mass produced to the point that you could field armies with them, it was more cost effective to train musketeers over bowmen.  you didn't need to enact laws to ensure your populace started training army with a weapon from the age of 10 to be effective.  you could do now train a company of musketeers in a few months.  so replacing lost musketeers was a lot easier than replacing lost bowmen.

the military minds of the time recognized this fairly early on and that's why the bowmen in modern military units disappeared almost over night.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #117 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 7:18pm:
Against that background, can you tell me honestly that you think it's possible a law would have been enforced which *prevented* common people - i.e. peasants hunting for the pot and professional hunters bringing down game for market - from using a different weapon to the Samurai?

LOL, no, I can't.

You have convinced me, well reasoned and presented!

Good luck with your job hunt, you've definitely got the analytical skills I'd want to hire Smiley

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #118 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 7:01am:
In a forest with little undergrowth and many low hanging branches a bow you held 1/3 down would be more cumbersome.

In low scrub with a few trees a bow you held 1/3 down would be less cumbersome.

Which is exactly my point - what is more cumbersome changes based on the landscape.

So many variables!

Australian bushmen? Do you mean indigenous australian's? I don't think I have ever seen anything about them using bows, throwing sticks, and throwing spears using atlatl's yeah i've seen plenty of that. I know they use bows in PNG and some other islands like the solomons

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #119 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 10:01am
Print Post  
NaturalHazard wrote on Dec 4th, 2013 at 12:57am:
Australian bushmen? Do you mean indigenous australian's? I don't think I have ever seen anything about them using bows, throwing sticks, and throwing spears using atlatl's yeah i've seen plenty of that. I know they use bows in PNG and some other islands like the solomons

You're right, I'd posted quickly without checking (and in my defense I did state that) and they don't use bows. I should know better than to post before coffee, thanks for correcting Smiley

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #120 - Dec 5th, 2013 at 2:07am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Dec 4th, 2013 at 10:01am:
You're right, I'd posted quickly without checking (and in my defense I did state that) and they don't use bows. I should know better than to post before coffee, thanks for correcting Smiley

No worries, its just my neck of the woods is all otherwise I wouldn't know.

IP Logged

The Pope
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #121 - Dec 6th, 2013 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Freshly Snipes wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 3:17pm:
Pretty cool many shot related video. Seems to have a very little cool down.

http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-legolas-archer-rediscovers-anc.php

Now lets see him discover how to pull off improved precise shot.

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #122 - Dec 6th, 2013 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
The Pope wrote on Dec 6th, 2013 at 1:06pm:
Now lets see him discover how to pull off improved precise shot.

meh do all that with bow strength Cheesy.

IP Logged

mattyboy
Ex Member

Reply #123 - Dec 6th, 2013 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 7:17am:
The bows of Australian bushmen...  "weren't".  They used spear and spear-throwers.  Bows and arrows were in use - at least by primitive peoples - at one time or another in every part of the world except Australia.  I have never heard a convincing reason as to why that should be... availability of materials would certainly have been an issue for some tribes, but by no means all.  I admit I've never spent a lot of time thinking about it, but right now I got nothin' for ya  Smiley

Wow, never really thought of this.  I lived in Australia for just over 7 years and I just loved it. traveled all over the place.. blah blah blah... anyway, I never noticed the complete absence of bows that whole time, talk about not seeing something right in front of you.

IP Logged

mattyboy
Ex Member

Reply #124 - Dec 6th, 2013 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
The throwing sticks the aborigines used were pretty amazing, and similar ones were used in parts of Africa and the western usa in prehistoric times.  Some were really heavy and quite large.

I wonder why the bow never made it down under..... hmmm  I sense that I am about to lose several hours in google.

Thanks great thread

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint