Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Many Shot does exist in real life (Read 27578 times)
Charon
Ex Member

Arti wins
Reply #25 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 3:23am
Print Post  
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2013 at 3:24am by »  

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Re: Arti wins
Reply #26 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 3:25am
Print Post  
Quote:

Blocked in Japan. Could you pleaste Tl;dr it?

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 3:26am
Print Post  
Quote:
Blocked in Japan. Could you pleaste Tl;dr it?

Mythbuster's clip of them firing a minigun at a barrel for a shooting fish in a barrel segment.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 3:31am
Print Post  
Quote:
Mythbuster's clip of them firing a minigun at a barrel for a shooting fish in a barrel segment.

Ah, ok, I saw that on tv some months / years ago...
Thanks!

IP Logged

Neru
Titan Demolisher

Re: Many Shot does exist in real life
Reply #29 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 5:03am
Print Post  
NaturalHazard wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 7:18pm:
What I really love is how he proved the old records to be true, those ancient archers and warriors really knew their stuff.

Agreed. Although, I thought the computer voice narrator was annoying.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #30 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 5:35am
Print Post  
a MLRS can shoot faster.  Cheesy

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

[some shit]
Titan Demolisher

Reply #31 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 7:50am
Print Post  
Quote:
Not everything is about the longbow or the composite bow.
In history there were lots of different bows for different purposes. This bow covers certain aspekts that are imposible with a longbow.
Soundd logigal, or?

Not really. I'd like to know what a 20lb twig can do that's worth a damn that a longbow can't. Sure, it shoots fast.. but I don't see a practical use for it.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 8:15am
Print Post  
[some shit] wrote on Nov 23rd, 2013 at 7:50am:
Not really. I'd like to know what a 20lb twig can do that's worth a damn that a longbow can't. Sure, it shoots fast.. but I don't see a practical use for it.

Do you know that in the napoleonic wars some austrian guy thought that the long bow was a lot more effective than the musket or the rifle? He was right, but nevertheless he didnīt rearm his troops with long bows. Do you know why?

Hint: You (as someshit) surely can do a lot more damage with a shortbow than with a long bow.

Also, a short bow is a different weapon for different purposes. You wouldnīt also compare a hand gun with a rifle, or?
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2013 at 8:16am by »  

IP Logged

[some shit]
Titan Demolisher

Reply #33 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 8:34am
Print Post  
In what context?

Sticking to the context here: He's using a 20lb bow. I don't see what that would do to any half armed army at any point in time. Some decent leather would render him almost useless.

Yes, I would compare a handgun to a rifle. One is situationally better than the other.

But for the purpose of a shortbow versus a longbow, please. Tell me when the shortbow is more effective.

IP Logged

doyourealyknow
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 8:34am
Print Post  
Awsome. Great Video  Smiley

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 9:14am
Print Post  
[some shit] wrote on Nov 23rd, 2013 at 8:34am:
In what context?

Sticking to the context here: He's using a 20lb bow. I don't see what that would do to any half armed army at any point in time. Some decent leather would render him almost useless.

Yes, I would compare a handgun to a rifle. One is situationally better than the other.

But for the purpose of a shortbow versus a longbow, please. Tell me when the shortbow is more effective.

Longbow: For using a longbow effectively, you need a very long training, something like 6 years.
Self bow / short bow: you can use it after 2 weeks training. You are not expectet to hit targets at 100 meters.

In the jungle or riding a horse, a Longbow is very difficult to use.
A short bow uses lighter arrows so the impact force will be smaller as from a longbow...but again...the longbow guy must be trained.
I had a 20 pound short bow. At 20-50 meters it is deadly. No fucking leahter armor will stop it, believe me. Arrow heads are very sharp, they will penetrate the leather armor. Several layers of wool and leather, or paper armor may stop any arrow, even from a long bow. The long bow arrow could have enough kinetic energy to throw you from the horse.
In History, self bows or short bows have been used very often agains poorly armored enemies, then they are very effective. You may reload very fast, you can hide, peep out of your hiding and shoot an arrow. Impossible with the long bow.
And so on..

If I am in a wood or in a city, with a team agains several enemies, I would rather use a short bow.
If I have to fight agains charging heavy cavalry, yes, please, give me a long bow. But I will use it very very poorly
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2013 at 9:19am by »  

IP Logged

[some shit]
Titan Demolisher

Reply #36 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 9:30am
Print Post  
To get someone using a shortbow well it requires years of training again. That's one of the reasons crossbows became popular - easy to train. Few weeks to get someone good enough.

50 meters, 20 lb, deadly. I doubt that. I haven't shot in a while, but basing it off experience.. I used to go hunting with a 60lb bow. I wouldn't really want to try that with a 20lb bow. I'm fairly sure the animals would run away and I'd need a new arrow.

If we're talking recurve bows, I'm happy to say you have a point - the mongol bows were bloody impressive. But defending a 20lb twig seems like an exercise in futility.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 9:46am
Print Post  
[some shit] wrote on Nov 23rd, 2013 at 9:30am:
To get someone using a shortbow well it requires years of training again. That's one of the reasons crossbows became popular - easy to train. Few weeks to get someone good enough.

50 meters, 20 lb, deadly. I doubt that. I haven't shot in a while, but basing it off experience.. I used to go hunting with a 60lb bow. I wouldn't really want to try that with a 20lb bow. I'm fairly sure the animals would run away and I'd need a new arrow.

If we're talking recurve bows, I'm happy to say you have a point - the mongol bows were bloody impressive. But defending a 20lb twig seems like an exercise in futility.

First, for not getting into "name trouble" letīs  say the 20lb is a "selfbow", and not a shortbow (so, no, I am not talking about the mongol bow. Mongol bows were awesome, but also quite impossible to use as the guy here is using the selfbow)

For using a selfbow well it requires years of training, for using it good enough, two week should be ok. You really donīt need to have such a good grip, it is just fucking 20lbs. I was 12-14 years old, and after a bit of self learning I could hit a target at 20 meters. 50 meters is my guess for maximum range for killing somebody. Maybe not, okay, I donīt know either. But 20-30 meters anytime.
For using a longbow well enough...well, I am not sure. You are suppoused to hit something at a long range, so I guess you need very long.

Anyway, for that what the guy is doing in the video, you need a small light bow. For a bigger / stronger bow you would have to train (very) disproportionaly more.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The long bow arrow could have enough kinetic energy to throw you from the horse.

Bullshit.  A .30-06 doesn't have the kinetic energy to throw you from a horse.  Even the Barnett crossbow that my uncle used to hunt with that had a 180lb draw weight and fired bolts heavier than most arrows wouldn't throw anyone from a horse.

And the rest of you post is crap too.  The mounted archers who used short or composite bows (which by the way, are not the same in use or training) required years to master firing accurately from a moving horse.  Not two weeks.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
raybob wrote on Nov 23rd, 2013 at 4:53pm:
Bullshit.  A .30-06 doesn't have the kinetic energy to throw you from a horse.  Even the Barnett crossbow that my uncle used to hunt with that had a 180lb draw weight and fired bolts heavier than most arrows wouldn't throw anyone from a horse.

And the rest of you post is crap too.  The mounted archers who used short or composite bows (which by the way, are not the same in use or training) required years to master firing accurately from a moving horse.  Not two weeks.

It's true and false.  It by it's self is not enough to knock someone down.  Because of Newton if it was it would knockdown the shooter as well.

That said the impact would likely knockdown a rider because of the balance needed to ride a moving horse,  a good blow even if it didn't penetrate armor to cause actual injury could throw a rider off balance enough to fall.

So true and false at the same time.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
raybob wrote on Nov 23rd, 2013 at 4:53pm:

Fuck you and fuck your mom.

1) I havenīt used a longbow on heavy cavalry, but I saw a documentary about Azincourt and it is said that it "COULD". COULD =/ WILL. FYI. And I really donīt give a shit if it could or not. I am not defending the long bow.

2) Who the fuck is talking about mounted combat? I will make you a little description of the thread:

Guy shows amazing skills with a 20lb bow, that I will call a "self bow", just for not mixing it with the mongol short bow.

People says "That is shit, it is a 20lb, I would like to see him doing it with a 100lb"

My point: It is not possible to do that with a 100lb

People says then " a self bow is shit, worth nothing".

My point: a selfbow has a lot of advantages.

And now back to you: Buy a fucking 20lb  bow for 40$ in ebay and if you are not hitting a target in the fucking head at 20 meters after 2 weeks training, you are a piece of shit.

The good thing of a 20lb bow is that you can control it almost immedately. The arrows are very short, it is very easy to string it and so on. You need no stron hands, no strong arms, no technik to use it and hit with it.

Of course, if you train a lot and if you master your technik, you can do the things the guy does in his video.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #41 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Longbow: For using a longbow effectively, you need a very long training, something like 6 years.
Self bow / short bow: you can use it after 2 weeks training. You are not expectet to hit targets at 100 meters.

In the jungle or riding a horse, a Longbow is very difficult to use.
A short bow uses lighter arrows so the impact force will be smaller as from a longbow...but again...the longbow guy must be trained.
I had a 20 pound short bow. At 20-50 meters it is deadly. No fucking leahter armor will stop it, believe me. Arrow heads are very sharp, they will penetrate the leather armor. Several layers of wool and leather, or paper armor may stop any arrow, even from a long bow. The long bow arrow could have enough kinetic energy to throw you from the horse.
In History, self bows or short bows have been used very often agains poorly armored enemies, then they are very effective. You may reload very fast, you can hide, peep out of your hiding and shoot an arrow. Impossible with the long bow.
And so on..

If I am in a wood or in a city, with a team agains several enemies, I would rather use a short bow.
If I have to fight agains charging heavy cavalry, yes, please, give me a long bow. But I will use it very very poorly

You should listen to Azog, he is 100% right. It's the diffrence between a Sniper Rifle and an Mp5. Quite literally, that's difference. No one busts into a compound with a sniper rifle, nor do you fire it moving. Just like a Long bow.

Stop being choads.

IP Logged

[some shit]
Titan Demolisher

Reply #42 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Nov 23rd, 2013 at 8:13pm:
You should listen to Azog, he is 100% right. It's the diffrence between a Sniper Rifle and an Mp5. Quite literally, that's difference. No one busts into a compound with a sniper rifle, nor do you fire it moving. Just like a Long bow.

Stop being choads.

You're confused - a Mp5 can kill people.

20lb would hurt me, but I don't think it will kill me (short of hitting a vital artery).

It's been a long time since I used a 20lb bow. I got out my old 40lb bow yesterday, went to see what range it was effective at. 50m was around the furthest the arrows were properly going into the target. Further than that, it wasn't going in far at all. Considering these targets are fairly soft in comparison, I dunno why Azog feels the need to claim a 20lb bow is of serious use.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
[some shit] wrote on Nov 23rd, 2013 at 8:51pm:
You're confused - a Mp5 can kill people.

20lb would hurt me, but I don't think it will kill me (short of hitting a vital artery).

It's been a long time since I used a 20lb bow. I got out my old 40lb bow yesterday, went to see what range it was effective at. 50m was around the furthest the arrows were properly going into the target. Further than that, it wasn't going in far at all. Considering these targets are fairly soft in comparison, I dunno why Azog feels the need to claim a 20lb bow is of serious use.

At 20-30 meters a 20lb would kill you. At 50 I agree it would maybe just hurt you.
Native american bows went from 28 lbs to 45 lbs, and they killed people. And their arrowheads were mainly made of stone, not steel or iron.

Inuit bows the same. 20lbs, 24lbs, 30lbs the most.

IP Logged

[some shit]
Titan Demolisher

Reply #44 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Depending on the design of a bow, you can get more power with less lb, true. Recurves are a great example of that.

And we should all be worshipping our compound overlords. Screw skill and training. You don't even need amazing shoulder strength to use them. Just enough to get past the heavy part of the draw, then it's almost nothing to hold.

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #45 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 2:57am
Print Post  
Quote:
Do you know that in the napoleonic wars some austrian guy thought that the long bow was a lot more effective than the musket or the rifle? He was right, but nevertheless he didnīt rearm his troops with long bows. Do you know why?

Hint: You (as someshit) surely can do a lot more damage with a shortbow than with a long bow.

Also, a short bow is a different weapon for different purposes. You wouldnīt also compare a hand gun with a rifle, or?

Because he didn't have time to train them from childhood to adulthood to be effective archers with it?

Don't forget people the mongolian composite bow had very heavy draw weights and a long range as well.
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2013 at 2:59am by NaturalHazard »  

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 7:18am
Print Post  
NaturalHazard wrote on Nov 24th, 2013 at 2:57am:
Because he didn't have time to train them from childhood to adulthood to be effective archers with it?

Don't forget people the mongolian composite bow had very heavy draw weights and a long range as well.

Yes.

IP Logged

Dhalgren
Big Sexy

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 7:32am
Print Post  
To the people who are saying dumb shit like this isn't impressive because it is not done using the most powerful bows around:

a) Can you do better, using any bow at all?

b) Would you offer to be the target, at the ranges mentioned in the video?

Also, there are valid situations in which the lighter bow would be preferable. If you don't have greater than 20m line of sight, who cares if the bow can be deadly at 60m?

Sure, this guy isn't doing this using a 100lb bow. Who fucking cares. Getting off that many shots with that degree of accuracy is damned impressive even if it's only at short range and low draw weights.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #48 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Dhalgren wrote on Nov 24th, 2013 at 7:32am:
Getting off that many shots with that degree of accuracy is damned impressive even if it's only at short range and low draw weights.

Oh for sure, the guy has some impressive moves, but please don't derail the awesome pile of steaming bullshit that's being shovelled around.  I'm enjoying this whole people-making-stuff-up thing very much  Cheesy

(Hobby: multi-period archery, competition standard, duration 20 years, proud owner of a 121lb (at 30") yew-wood longbow and cloth-yard arrows, Mongol bow, mediaeval-style crossbow, South American flatbow, Victorian "longbow"... have performed ballistic tests for the police using bows and crossbows against tactical vests, and appeared in at least one documentary on the subject.)

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
So I've been thinking about the whole small bow with a low draw strength debate that has been going on.  Is it just me or wouldn't the main use for such a bow in ancient times been for traveling and hunting small game on the go?  Less weight to carry with you,  faster firing,  etc etc etc.  Who cares if it can't penetrate armor,  if it can put a rabbit on the cook fire.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint