Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Many Shot does exist in real life (Read 27560 times)
Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Re: Many Shot does exist in real life
Reply #50 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
So I've been thinking about the whole small bow with a low draw strength debate that has been going on.  Is it just me or wouldn't the main use for such a bow in ancient times been for traveling and hunting small game on the go?  Less weight to carry with you,  faster firing,  etc etc etc.  Who cares if it can't penetrate armor,  if it can put a rabbit on the cook fire.

Stop it!  Enough with the sensible already! 

But...  yes, and it's exactly what you'd want for use with fowling blunts too.

Now, can we please get to the part where someone (who's never shot either, nor seen them outside of a movie) compares the relative merits of a daikyu and a western mediaeval longbow (because any Japanese weapon is automatically moar awesome) as though any such comparison would make sense.  I'm looking forward to that bit.

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

DiddleDoo
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #51 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Nov 24th, 2013 at 4:00pm:

Now, can we please get to the part where someone (who's never shot either, nor seen them outside of a movie) compares the relative merits of a daikyu and a western mediaeval longbow (because any Japanese weapon is automatically moar awesome) as though any such comparison would make sense.  I'm looking forward to that bit.

I've had enough of this fucking stupidity.

I will now PROVE, as I am the leading buttsexpert in my field, that claymores were better than shurikens.

First of all, claymore were made of clay, while shurikens are made of uranium. This is highly unstable and probably is why that nuclear reactor just blew up in asia. Secondly, there is MORE of a claymore, while shurikens are some guy named ken.

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #52 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Nov 24th, 2013 at 4:00pm:

But that bow is pretty light? The daikyu when the mongols tried to invade japan their bows had the longer range, the kaikyu just looks cool/odd having the top part twice? as long as the bottom.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #53 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
NaturalHazard wrote on Nov 24th, 2013 at 7:06pm:
But that bow is pretty light? The daikyu when the mongols tried to invade japan their bows had the longer range, the kaikyu just looks cool/odd having the top part twice? as long as the bottom.

Twice as long, indeed.  Extra points if you can work out why. 

Hint: no matter what you might read, it's nothing to do with horses. 

wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #54 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Nov 24th, 2013 at 7:18pm:

some defect in the wood/construction of the bow maybe? Bottom part has twice the resistance per length as the top? Im guessing here I don't have much personal experience with archery.

IP Logged

Crunch ButtSteak
Stormreaver Piker

Fer teh lolz

Reply #55 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Wow.  That was awesome.  Thanks for sharing.  Worth the read and watch.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #56 - Nov 25th, 2013 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Freshly Snipes wrote on Nov 22nd, 2013 at 3:17pm:
Pretty cool many shot related video. Seems to have a very little cool down.

http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-legolas-archer-rediscovers-anc.php

From a Pen and Paper perspective, that’s not really “Manyshot”.  It’s more like “Rapid Shot with a high Base Attack Bonus”.

Manyshot is more like the scenes from Return of the King where Legolas shoots 2 to 3 arrows at once.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #57 - Nov 25th, 2013 at 7:39pm
Print Post  

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #58 - Nov 25th, 2013 at 8:06pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

mattyboy
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Nov 25th, 2013 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Friggen amazing! 

Now how about the old yarn that the English longbowmen could get 5 arrows up in the air at the same time?

After seeing this, well hell! guess it was possible considering the "hang time" of a long shot.

Thanks for posting it

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #60 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 12:31am
Print Post  
the coolest thing is he got Stephen Hawkings to narrate his video!

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #61 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 12:40am
Print Post  
Quote:
Do you know that in the napoleonic wars some austrian guy thought that the long bow was a lot more effective than the musket or the rifle? He was right, but nevertheless he didn´t rearm his troops with long bows. Do you know why?

because it took a lot less skill to aim and fire a smooth bore musket than an arrow.

IP Logged

[some shit]
Titan Demolisher

Reply #62 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Nov 26th, 2013 at 12:40am:
because it took a lot less skill to aim and fire a smooth bore musket than an arrow.

Also worth considering how annoying it is to manufacture arrows. It's easier now using carbon fibre+alloy, but making them out of wood isn't much fun. (unless you want it to fly like a wet sponge)

IP Logged

Neru
Titan Demolisher

Reply #63 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 5:13am
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Nov 26th, 2013 at 12:31am:
the coolest thing is he got Stephen Hawkings to narrate his video!

No.

IP Logged

Cairnoir
Dragon Raider

I am not a farmer!

Reply #64 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 8:51am
Print Post  
My only quibble with the vid and this discussion is that he shot though riveted chain. Way back when, we shot a 50lbs recurve at full draw with field points at steel riveted mail and it produced similar results. The 30lbs childrens bow's arrows bounced.

So IMO either he was using light gauge chain, a reasonably weighted bow, or a really fuckin skinny arrow.

IP Logged

C8H10N4O2
Korthos Resident

Sarlonan

Reply #65 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Nov 24th, 2013 at 7:18pm:

I'm going to guess harmonics. Grip is likely positioned where there is a node in the harmonic wave of the bow making for less vibration during and after shooting.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #66 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Cairnoir wrote on Nov 26th, 2013 at 8:51am:
So IMO either he was using light gauge chain, a reasonably weighted bow, or a really fuckin skinny arrow.

I noticed that too, but there is another variable - the target padding. I made some chain a while back and tested it with some of my bows, and found that the backing made a big difference. The softer the target under the chain, the more energy is absorbed by the chain pushing into the backing, and therefore the more bow draw is required for penetration.

If he's got the chain hanging over a cloth hanging over a wooden cutting board, he can probably pierce even good chain (and certainly anything I made) with a fairly light bow.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #67 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Quote:
Friggen amazing! 

Now how about the old yarn that the English longbowmen could get 5 arrows up in the air at the same time?

That's actually trivial, if what you're attempting is specifically "getting a lot of arrows into the air at the same time". 

I and a couple of my friends had a nasty (and somewhat dumb, it must be said) trick that we would pull during battle re-enactments, which is an illustration of this...

When you're taking part in a big battle re-creation, the archers of each army (each typically commanded by a Captain of Archers, which is a fun job) will generally arrange themselves in lines.  Shooting towards the "enemy" is done using hard rubber blunts at a distance which varies considerably but might typically be around 100 yards.  The blunts have to be fairly hard to prevent injury from the shaft of the arrow penetrating the tip on impact.  (Fowling blunts - padded leather, more often than not - are used at much shorter range, are much heavier and don't fly particularly steadily so they wouldn't be suitable.)  The point here is that those "safety" blunts hurt if they're travelling at speed. 

Anyway, the archers shoot on command ("Knock!  Draw!  Loose!") and loft the arrows up high.  This has two effects: one is to give a great crowd-pleasing cloud of arrows for the watching members of the public; the other is that the Captains of Archers can take it in turn to volley and make sure everyone in their bloc (all wearing helms of one sort or another) can get their eyes down so they don't catch an arrow to the face.

That's the theory.

Of course, if a few of you have much more powerful bows than those typically used in re-enactment - say, um, 120lb+ instead of 40lbs - then you can aim more vertically and send the arrows much, much higher...  which means they fall many seconds later than everyone else's, even though you all shot at command.  Which means you can bag yourself an enemy Captain of Archers as he's no longer paying attention; and he has to fall over 'cos the whole crowd is watching, and nobody knows it was you, because you were careful to shoot at the same time as everyone else ('stragglers' are generally evicted from the battlefield if it looks like it was on purpose).

Like I say, it was dumb; I'm going with the 'young and stupid' explanation.

But yes; I've never specifically tried getting as many arrows in the air as possible, but if all I care about is getting enough height to put the next arrow up, and the next, and the next, and aren't also trying to hit something...  I'm certain I could beat five.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #68 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Cairnoir wrote on Nov 26th, 2013 at 8:51am:
My only quibble with the vid and this discussion is that he shot though riveted chain. Way back when, we shot a 50lbs recurve at full draw with field points at steel riveted mail and it produced similar results.

Yes, if you use field points, that will happen.  A 30lb bow (30lb recurve, anyway) will handily put a needle bodkin through two layers of riveted mail at 30 yards.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #69 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Yobai wrote on Nov 26th, 2013 at 12:40am:

This gets repeated a lot, even by some pop-historians.  It is absolutely not true, and if you consider it for a little while (and know just a little history) you'll see that it makes no sense whatsoever...

Broad hint: I would expect the Americans here to work this out very, very quickly once they start thinking about it, as it's to do with a national obsession of theirs  Smiley

IP Logged

CanIHazYourStuff
DQ Assaulter

Niiiiiiii!

Reply #70 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 11:34am
Print Post  
that was cool

Yarrrrrr!

IP Logged

Charon
Ex Member

Reply #71 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Nov 26th, 2013 at 11:06am:
This gets repeated a lot, even by some pop-historians.  It is absolutely not true, and if you consider it for a little while (and know just a little history) you'll see that it makes no sense whatsoever...

Broad hint: I would expect the Americans here to work this out very, very quickly once they start thinking about it, as it's to do with a national obsession of theirs  Smiley

I'd say it had more to do with being able to make a breastplate that could stop an arrow.  (it was just really expensive and heavy)  But not being able to make one that would stop a musket.

IP Logged

anything OR x=x
Korthos Resident

Dumbass says what?

Reply #72 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 4:58pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Cairnoir
Dragon Raider

I am not a farmer!

Reply #73 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 6:19pm
Print Post  

Which obsession?  Smiley Gun collections? Deforestation of the Yew? Getting fat? The decline of the land bound peasant and rise of free Middle Class? Technology driven markets?

I'd actually thought the impetus towards crossbows and then guns, was an all-of-the-above-plus-more sorta thing in medieval-renaissance Europe.

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #74 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 7:09pm
Print Post  

Well I know more than 'a little history,' but I'm not blinded by some romanticized notion of bow superiority.

the reason gun > bow gets repeated a lot by almost every single credible historian every is because it is absolutely true.  guns are far easier for the laymen to learn to use effectively than bows.  this is the same reason crossbows were so widely popular everywhere except England and the Eastern Turkey long before the gun was invented.

Europeans were publishing military books about how much more effective and easier to learn to use firearms vs bows since the 1500s.  even then the consensus was that while a well trained bowmen could be more effective than a well trained musketeer, it was a far, far easier to train and maintain units of musketeers than units of elite bowman. hence the virtual extinction of archer units worldwide after 1590 by anyone not still living in the stone age.

there have always been the militarily ignorant who are fascinated by the bow's 'rate of fire' advantage, but its a trap, and their theories have always been soundly spanked by actual application.

we've already worked it out Legolas.  you're the only one still stroking it to the almighty bow.
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2013 at 7:11pm by Yobai »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint