Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition (Read 278 times)
Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition
Dec 2nd, 2013 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Awhile back I got my 9-year-old sons the starter edition of D&D 4e. One of them really took a liking to it but the starter edition is...thin...on rules, options, etc. That said, I liked the way 4e set up the powers and rules for a younger kid to be on top of everything and play.

I'm looking at getting him some of the books for Christmas - what's a good list of purchasing priorities for 4e rulebooks?

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Re: Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Well, I think you found the niche for $th edition.  I can see it being perfectly suitable to young kids.  I couldn't stomach it and even returned my 'beta' test copy of the PHB so I haven't followed it in the least.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Dec 2nd, 2013 at 1:48pm:
Well, I think you found the niche for $th edition.  I can see it being perfectly suitable to young kids.  I couldn't stomach it and even returned my 'beta' test copy of the PHB so I haven't followed it in the least.

See, that was my impression of it as well as what I'd seen everyone saying. But my kid was literally begging for it when he saw it in the store so I got it and frankly...it really is a good D&D PnP game for younger kids. You can pry 3.5 out of my cold dead hands but I'll play 4e with my kids as they definitely enjoy it quite a bit.

Just need to find out what books are absolutely mandatory and which are nice add-ons to decide how much to get for Christmas.
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2013 at 3:45pm by Darkrok »  

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
I'd stick with the clones of the classics:  PHB, DMG, etc

Here is a list from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-4th-Dungeons-amp-Dragons/lm/R3ROD4CJG2F1EU

PHB (Just 1) DMG (Just 1) Monster Manual (Just 1) A Campaign book (Not Dark Sun, Psionics were ugly in 2nd edition, prob just as bad now) and that would about do it.  Maybe one of the 'Powers' Books if your kids play a particular class, but i'd save it for later when they figure it out and get going.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Great! That's really what confused me the most, the presence of multiple PHB's, DMG's, etc. Wasn't sure if the extras were needed or just nice.

I'll definitely look into getting some modules too. I'm a piss-poor DM so all the help I can get I'll take. Smiley

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Dec 2nd, 2013 at 4:57pm:
I'll definitely look into getting some modules too. I'm a piss-poor DM so all the help I can get I'll take.

There is a book down there there that has 30 pre-made adventures.  Also, Dungeon Magazine sub can be really useful.

The campaign guide will give you the lay of the land.  Forgotten Realms is/was really high magic with Super NPC's.  Just filter them out if you choose it or make them secondary characters like 'Lore Filters' & adventure hooks.  So, if you ever played Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights you'll find them in the Realms. 

You can pick a starting spot like the 'Border Kingdoms' and fill them out nicely with your own creations and pretty much never visit the rest of the Realms.  I've ran 2 campaigns down there, one epic level and 1 low level, it is just a nice area well spaced out with a lot of biomes and terrain.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
That sounds really helpful. Honestly they're familiar (sort of) with parts of FR just from playing DDO. I'd be half-tempted to toss them into somewhere around Eveningstar just for a tie-in, especially since one of them is less into PnP than the other but he's the one that's big into DDO. A tie-in there could really pull him in whereas the other one doesn't need anything to draw him in.

I don't really have to worry too much about overarching storylines. Tbh, the crappy little adventure in the red box set was good enough to keep them riveted for hours. Only bad part is that I think that adventure was designed with larger groups in mind. Even with me running an NPC to help them the fights were kind of ugly. I had to DM-down the difficulty at points for them to finish.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Dec 2nd, 2013 at 5:43pm:
I don't really have to worry too much about overarching storylines. Tbh, the crappy little adventure in the red box set was good enough to keep them riveted for hours. Only bad part is that I think that adventure was designed with larger groups in mind. Even with me running an NPC to help them the fights were kind of ugly. I had to DM-down the difficulty at points for them to finish.

You're better off to kill their characters at least once.  That way they know it can happen and they'll fear it more and be more cautious.  My buddies kids ran in swords blazing everywhere.  They jumped a good guy prince, killed him, and then I hunted them down and killed their characters.  They cried.  Got mad.  Made new characters and played a whole lot smarter.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2013 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Dec 2nd, 2013 at 5:43pm:
I think that adventure was designed with larger groups in mind.

Also, retreating to 'safety' then returning is a good idea & skill to impart.  You just spread out NPC's to fill in the spots, if it goes on more than a week though they should get 'recruits' back in the dungeon.

IP Logged

Zhalian
Dragon Raider

Drama is best served fresh.

Reply #9 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:44am
Print Post  
The most fun adventure I ever did for my group in my opinion and theirs; was one I based on a book and started off with the advisory to roll up a new char because I was going to do my best to kill them all.  No cheating mind you, no uber mobs but stupid mistakes got people obliterated.  Don't start them off with something like that of course but a sense of danger is part of what makes tabletop rpgs awesome, no saves.
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:44am by Zhalian »  

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.
- Mel Brooks

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Yeah, this was something where even using strategy and tactics they were overmatched. Their characters had less hp's than the enemies, less special abilities, and were outnumbered 3 or 4-1. I just stepped down the hp's to a reasonable level to give them a shot because it was obvious that they didn't have a shot. We also had quite a bit of retreating too. Smiley

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Are they still supporting 4 fully, and plan to in the near future? I did not like it, so have not followed (went to pathfinder) but didnt they already move onto 'D&D Next' with talk of a quick movement to 5, as 4 was poorly received?

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:03am
Print Post  
How is Pathfinder for kids? I know they talked about streamlining some things (which I like) and boosting single-class to make it viable (which I also like for these purposes) but I will say that for having 2 new players that were 9 years old 4e was really good in that regard.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #13 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
livefreeordie wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 10:08am:
Are they still supporting 4 fully, and plan to in the near future? I did not like it, so have not followed (went to pathfinder) but didnt they already move onto 'D&D Next' with talk of a quick movement to 5, as 4 was poorly received?

$th failed miserably, actually made Hasbro consider killing D&D altogether with respect to physical books.  But, it still made money in the long run iirc.  But yea, they've already started on 5th or 'Next' or whatever.  I've not looked for any details yet, they broke the mold with 3/3.5.  I don't see myself seeing anything as an improvement.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #14 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
http://www.dndclassics.com/

It's a site where WotC is selling .pdfs of various published D&D materials from all editions, including 4th.  It might be a bit cheaper than buying them at a bookstore or hobby shop, and you can print off as many copies as you need.

They also have a bunch of old, hard to find stuff from previous editions that you can adapt into your new campaign.

They also give stuff away for free from time to time, so it's totally worth checking out.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks for those PDF's!

Has anyone every tried out the DND Next Preview? It looks really interesting, ties in somewhat to the current goings on in DDO (which would interest one of my sons), would be up-to-date as far as the ruleset goes (we'd basically be playtesting the new stuff), and sounds like it's got a TON of content (4 different 8-hour modules).

Is it kid friendly and do they seem to be going in the right direction with things?

IP Logged

FUCK YOU
Korthos Resident

Reply #16 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 12:19am
Print Post  
If you're combining 4th edition and kids, check out:

http://jamesstowe.blogspot.com/2011/09/dnd-for-8-year-olds.html

and his site (webcomic/game/blog):

http://sidekickquests.com/

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 9:51am
Print Post  
FUCK YOU wrote on Dec 4th, 2013 at 12:19am:
If you're combining 4th edition and kids, check out:

http://jamesstowe.blogspot.com/2011/09/dnd-for-8-year-olds.html

and his site (webcomic/game/blog):

http://sidekickquests.com/

Those are amazing! I'll have to do some playtesting with those to see if they're too overpowered and give some thought into leveling the characters but that's outstanding. Wish I had that level of artistic talent...maybe I'll commission my daughter for some help on that. Smiley

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 10:39am
Print Post  
I just spent about an hour on his site...looks like he's really close to a release date on this too. I think for the time being we're going to replay the redbox with characters that guy designed, though I'd still love to get a look at DND next as well.

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
DnD Next feels like the best of all worlds. So far I like it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint